PDA

View Full Version : How long will Sharapova stay with 1 Slam?

daffodil
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:30 PM
How long will Maria Sharapova stay with one Grand Slam?

daffodil
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I think she has a chance at next years' Wimbledon.

Dexter
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM
7th option

@m@nd@
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
i think she has a good chance at australian open 2006

Mudbone
Until she wins a second one!!! Seriously, i don't see her winning one anytime soon....With both Williams playing well and both Belgians in the field in addition to Davenport rolling strong, she simply isn't good enough to win one right now....Maybe in a couple of years as those players slow down, she might get another one...But Maria has to watch her rear view mirror for Vaidisova and Ivanovic!!! But do think Sharapova is good enough to win 2 or 3 more if she stays fit and focused...But many times the mega-hype simply destroys a players perspective on the game....

*Karen*
I've voted for 2006 aus open win. If not then wimbledon but I definetly think she'll win a slam in 2006.

RenaSlam.
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Ao 06.

Jackson.
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Just for another 14 days :bigwave:

ezekiel
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
wait, let me look into my ball

Andy.
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I thin either the Aussie Open 2006 or Wimbledon 2006

Portobello
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Just for another 14 days :bigwave:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hopefully :D

jan.
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
7th option
Someones bitter...
I say Aus Open or Wimbledon 06

Jen&RobbyFan
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Um I actually think Aussie Open 2007. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Sharapova very much, I just think that Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena (and maybe others) will beat her in the next 5 Slams. Just a feeling though, hope she proves me wrong.

WimbledonGreen7
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM
wimbledon 2006......

who r the bitches that said NEVER?? :(

JenFan75
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Sometime next year.

jfk
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
She's going to win another slam. She may never be the best player going into a slam, but a draw will open up for her at some point. She's consistent enough to take advantage of easier draws.

selyoink
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Ao 2006.

K-Dog
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM
All the commentators are like "Maria's going to win bunches" and stuff like that. Most of those commentators are men, but...:rolleyes: I think that Maria will only win like 4 majors in her career. Lots of tour titles, but her success on the major level won't be as great as everyone thinks. She'll get to the later rounds, but the other top players at the moment rise to the occasion in majors and just have more developed games than Maria. Even when Lindsay, Kim (as she says she'll retire in 2007), Venus (she's 25, don't see her more than 3 more years or until the next Olympics) start to slow down and retire, she'll still have a JHH, more matured Serena, Ana I., Nicole V., perphaps a few others to deal with. She is going to have a Lindsay type career. Wins a lot and consistent, but when the chips are down, her game won't have enough options to beat the top players year after year. Lindsay can beat the top players now, but when she was in her mini-slump of beating the Williams sisters, Clijsters, and Justine, Lindsay had problems with her lack of defense and lack of game plan two. Luckily for her, her game plan 1 is better than Maria's, but I see them having similar careers.

-VSR-
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I actually think that Venus will play longer than Serena for some reason, I don't know why but I just see it happening.

K-Dog
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I actually think that Venus will play longer than Serena for some reason, I don't know why but I just see it happening.

I do too, but they have an age difference to deal with. I see Venus plugging it out until she wins like 7 slams or when she wins a slam other than the US Open or Wimbledon. Serena will retire when she wins her goal number of slams (whatever it is). I just can't see Venus as a 28 year old. She seems old now for a player at 25, where have all the years gone?

-VSR-
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I do too, but they have an age difference to deal with. I see Venus plugging it out until she wins like 7 slams or when she wins a slam other than the US Open or Wimbledon. Serena will retire when she wins her goal number of slams (whatever it is). I just can't see Venus as a 28 year old. She seems old now for a player at 25, where have all the years gone?

Yeah. Who knows. Maybe Venus wants to win a certain amount of GS. Like 9-10. Also I think I read somewhere about how they were def. going to be playing until the Olympics 2008, for sure or something like that.

njnetswill
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I think she can win the AO next year.

RenaSlam.
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Anyone who votes NEVER is :retard:ed

She's obviously gonna win at least 2 more, IMO.

Jen&RobbyFan
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
All the commentators are like "Maria's going to win bunches" and stuff like that. Most of those commentators are men, but...:rolleyes: I think that Maria will only win like 4 majors in her career. Lots of tour titles, but her success on the major level won't be as great as everyone thinks. She'll get to the later rounds, but the other top players at the moment rise to the occasion in majors and just have more developed games than Maria. Even when Lindsay, Kim (as she says she'll retire in 2007), Venus (she's 25, don't see her more than 3 more years or until the next Olympics) start to slow down and retire, she'll still have a JHH, more matured Serena, Ana I., Nicole V., perphaps a few others to deal with. She is going to have a Lindsay type career. Wins a lot and consistent, but when the chips are down, her game won't have enough options to beat the top players year after year. Lindsay can beat the top players now, but when she was in her mini-slump of beating the Williams sisters, Clijsters, and Justine, Lindsay had problems with her lack of defense and lack of game plan two. Luckily for her, her game plan 1 is better than Maria's, but I see them having similar careers.

:worship:

Sweep
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM
After USO 2006 she should have 1 more to her name, possibly even 2 more.
Wimbledon will be most likely.

vwfan
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM
She won't win Wimbledon until Venus retires and Serena is injured or not playing and that is her best chance. Her game on grass is the third best among active players, but on hardcourts there are many contenders including both Belgians, Lindsay, and even some other up and coming players.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
When the Belgians, and Sisters retire. :tape:

Marshmallow
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
If she gets a VERY good draw (Belgians, Lindsay, Myskina and William sisters find a way to knock each other out / are sub-par)- i think she can win a slam again. But i don't think she'll ever dominate or anything.

Closest option = 8.

Kart
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM
150 years.

cartmancop
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I think she'll have a very successful career with several Aussie Opens... I dunno why, I just feel like it suits her game... I don't think the heat bothers her too much & she seems to start off the year strongly whereas many players show up in January looking a lil rusty.. I think that the 2006 AO final will consist of either Sharapova, JHH, Kim C. or Venus... I pick Sharapova to win 1 major next year, just don't know which one... but not this year's USO IMO

Blonde_Ambition7
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
US Open 2005...wishful thinking

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:13 PM
when serena and venus stop kicking her ass...

morningglory
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I'll go for wimby 2006 :)

ceiling_fan
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM
when the belgians and williams sisters retire, or when they are injured...

or... if she suddenly gets a lot better... she is really really good now, but seems to lose to the players above ^

Ceecor
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:27 AM
could be as little as only 2 weeks left....but 2 of the next 5.

RussiansFan
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I think either Australian Open 2006 oer Wimbledon 2006...

Sunny_Boy
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
most likely in 2007

hingis-seles
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I don't see why everyone's making such a big fuss over the Belgians and the Williamses. Let's break it down, shall we...

Serena Williams

The head-to-head stands dead-even at 2 wins a piece. Maria won their most important meeting 6-1, 6-4 at the Wimbledon final. Serena won the next most prestigious meeting in an absolute dogfight at the Australian Open, saving matchpoints, 2-6, 7-6, 8-6. Maria won the season-ending championships final in three sets over a a clearly unfit (read: injured not out of shape) Serena. Serena won their initial encounter 6-4, 6-2 (or was it 6-3?) in Miami in 2003. Why does everyone think Serena will stop Maria from winning Slams, when she has lost 2 of the last 3 matches they have played, winning their last encounter being matchpoint down. That is a clear indication that both women are evenly matched, and their encounters could go either way. Serena will prevent Maria from winning some majors, but Maria will do the same to Serena. It's a two-way street.

Justine Henin-Hardenne

Maria defeated Justine in a three-set tussle in Miami this year, before Juju schooled her in straight sets in quarterfinals in Berlin and Paris. Juju leads the head-to-head 2-1. Factor in that both of Juju's wins came on clay, Maria's worst surface and Juju's best and it's no wonder that the results in Paris and Berlin were as decisive as they were. Juju is clearly the best clay-courter of the last 3 years on the WTA Tour. Do I think Maria can beat Juju at RG?! Uhh...no! But, do I think Justine can prevent Maria from winning Wimbledon, AO and the US Open? Maybe on the odd occassion, but more often than not, I see Maria winning their matches on the faster surfaces. This is debatable, but in no way can one say that Justine will constantly prevent Maria from winning Slams.

Venus Williams

This one's become a lot more tricky post-Wimbledon. Maria had a clear advantage, winning their first two encounters in Zurich and in Miami, both in straight sets. Then came Wimbledon. Venus played, what I classify as the highest quality of tennis a woman has played since Serena's 2002 Wimbledon semi against Momo. She simply refused to miss. Venus played a fantastic match to score a decisive straight-set win. Do I think Venus will continue to prevent Maria from winning the big ones as she did in London this year? No. Venus will have her big moments and her wins over Maria in GS events, but make no mistake, Maria will return the favour. The quality Venus displayed at Wimbledon was exceptional. I don't think she'll be able to produce that level of tennis consistently. Maria vs Venus at the AO in 2006? Smart money is on Maria.

Kim Clijsters

To my knowledge, they've only played the one time in Miami, where Kim won the final 6-3, 7-5. It was an ugly match affected by the wind. Kim dealt with the conditions much better and played a smarter match. But, I don't understand how people can believe, based on ONE match, that Kim will prevent Maria from winning the big ones. Kim vs Maria at Wimbledon? Who do you pick? I'd go with Maria, just like I would with Kim if the match was being played at Roland Garros.

Most people are being harsh on Maria, simply because she is having a tougher time the second time around. The truth is most players do go into a "sophomore slump". It's natural and normal. It seems that a couple of recent losses to Justine and Venus at RG and Wimbledon have really affected people's thoughts and views on these boards. So much so that, Kim and Serena have been included as the players who will stop Maria at the Slams. All these girls will beat Maria, but she will beat them as well. It goes both ways. So, to everyone who thinks she'll never win one because of the Belgian Chicks and dem Williams Gurls, I strongly disagree. Prove me wrong.

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I don't see why everyone's making such a big fuss over the Belgians and the Williamses. Let's break it down, shall we...

Serena Williams

The head-to-head stands dead-even at 2 wins a piece. Maria won their most important meeting 6-1, 6-4 at the Wimbledon final. Serena won the next most prestigious meeting in an absolute dogfight at the Australian Open, saving matchpoints, 2-6, 7-6, 8-6. Maria won the season-ending championships final in three sets over a a clearly unfit (read: injured not out of shape) Serena. Serena won their initial encounter 6-4, 6-2 (or was it 6-3?) in Miami in 2003. Why does everyone think Serena will stop Maria from winning Slams, when she has lost 2 of the last 3 matches they have played, winning their last encounter being matchpoint down. That is a clear indication that both women are evenly matched, and their encounters could go either way. Serena will prevent Maria from winning some majors, but Maria will do the same to Serena. It's a two-way street.

Justine Henin-Hardenne

Maria defeated Justine in a three-set tussle in Miami this year, before Juju schooled her in straight sets in quarterfinals in Berlin and Paris. Juju leads the head-to-head 2-1. Factor in that both of Juju's wins came on clay, Maria's worst surface and Juju's best and it's no wonder that the results in Paris and Berlin were as decisive as they were. Juju is clearly the best clay-courter of the last 3 years on the WTA Tour. Do I think Maria can beat Juju at RG?! Uhh...no! But, do I think Justine can prevent Maria from winning Wimbledon, AO and the US Open? Maybe on the odd occassion, but more often than not, I see Maria winning their matches on the faster surfaces. This is debatable, but in no way can one say that Justine will constantly prevent Maria from winning Slams.

Venus Williams

This one's become a lot more tricky post-Wimbledon. Maria had a clear advantage, winning their first two encounters in Zurich and in Miami, both in straight sets. Then came Wimbledon. Venus played, what I classify as the highest quality of tennis a woman has played since Serena's 2002 Wimbledon semi against Momo. She simply refused to miss. Venus played a fantastic match to score a decisive straight-set win. Do I think Venus will continue to prevent Maria from winning the big ones as she did in London this year? No. Venus will have her big moments and her wins over Maria in GS events, but make no mistake, Maria will return the favour. The quality Venus displayed at Wimbledon was exceptional. I don't think she'll be able to produce that level of tennis consistently. Maria vs Venus at the AO in 2006? Smart money is on Maria.

Kim Clijsters

To my knowledge, they've only played the one time in Miami, where Kim won the final 6-3, 7-5. It was an ugly match affected by the wind. Kim dealt with the conditions much better and played a smarter match. But, I don't understand how people can believe, based on ONE match, that Kim will prevent Maria from winning the big ones. Kim vs Maria at Wimbledon? Who do you pick? I'd go with Maria, just like I would with Kim if the match was being played at Roland Garros.

Most people are being harsh on Maria, simply because she is having a tougher time the second time around. The truth is most players do go into a "sophomore slump". It's natural and normal. It seems that a couple of recent losses to Justine and Venus at RG and Wimbledon have really affected people's thoughts and views on these boards. So much so that, Kim and Serena have been included as the players who will stop Maria at the Slams. All these girls will beat Maria, but she will beat them as well. It goes both ways. So, to everyone who thinks she'll never win one because of the Belgian Chicks and dem Williams Gurls, I strongly disagree. Prove me wrong.

Couldn't agree more :yeah:
very mature post rarely seen here so far :bowdown: :bowdown:

maya
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I voted for next year's Austarlian Open, but I think even if she soesn't win that one, she'll win at least one other next year.

Mr Snuggles
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Serena Williams

Justine Henin-Hardenne

Venus Williams

Kim Clijsters

Great post :worship:

There does seem tobe a lot of quite immature haters around, especially those who believe Maria want win anything EVER again, what the?......

Anyway, I reckon Sharapova will win another slam in the next 2 years, probably Wimbledon or the AO.

Volcana
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I don't see why everyone's making such a big fuss over the Belgians and the Williamses.They are making a 'big fuss', as you put it, because expectations for Sharapova were very high after Wimbledon. Even more after the YEC. And she hasn't live up to those expectations.

Look at her last match vs each of the so-called 'elite' players.

AUSTRALIAN OPEN....SMI WILLIAMS, S......L 2-6 7-5 8-6
INDIAN WELLS.......SMI DAVENPORT........L 6-0 6-0
MIAMI..............FNL CLIJSTERS........L 6-3 7-5
ROLAND GARROS......QTR HENIN-HARDENNE...L 6-4 6-2
WIMBLEDON..........SMI WILLIAMS, V......L 7-6 6-1

Somehow, she hasn't played Mauresmo this year. But she lost her last match against her too.

2004 YEC...........Rd1 MAURESMO.........L 7-5 6-4

That certainly isn't the record the hype would lead one to expect. This time last year, only the most fervent of detractors would have daren't predict she wouldn't be holding a GS title right now. Yet as we speak, which of those players would you favor Sharapova over in a US Open match? Maybe Mauresmo. But the other five are only the last four champions, and this year's best hard court player.

So why the 'big fuss'? The 'big hype' is what produced the 'big fuss'.

Justineladivine
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Well, even if many people find her results unconvincing this year, the girl's still hovering between the number one and number two spots. Whether you adulate or hate her (she doesn't seem to elicit anything but extreme feelings with many posters, how about a more rational approach, people? Do you really have to love or loathe a player to appreciate her talent?) she's undeniably one of the best and definitely no choker (I'm sure the double bagel score was a hell of an off-day and nothing else, I mean I'm prepared to bet it'll never happen again). In a nutshell, if there's any logic in tennis, yes she'll get more majors in her career, the girl can deliver the goods...

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:56 PM
They are making a 'big fuss', as you put it, because expectations for Sharapova were very high after Wimbledon. Even more after the YEC. And she hasn't live up to those expectations.

Somehow, she hasn't played Mauresmo this year. But she lost her last match against her too.

That certainly isn't the record the hype would lead one to expect. This time last year, only the most fervent of detractors would have daren't predict she wouldn't be holding a GS title right now. Yet as we speak, which of those players would you favor Sharapova over in a US Open match? Maybe Mauresmo. But the other five are only the last four champions, and this year's best hard court player.

yu always brought Maria - Momo match up to made her down :o :o
dont forget that match can't count anything coz no1 took that match so serious,it liked a practice match or sth like

hingis-seles
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM
They are making a 'big fuss', as you put it, because expectations for Sharapova were very high after Wimbledon. Even more after the YEC. And she hasn't live up to those expectations.

Expectations were high, but as I said earlier, players usually don't live up to the hype and fuss after a major win as they find the pressure of expectation much tougher to deal with. Serena after the '99 Open springs to mind. She was supposed to be the dominant force in women's tennis (Tennis Magazine chose her as Player of the Year for 1999 over Hingis AND Davenport :eek: ), yet she lost 4R at AO 2000, DNP RG 2000, SF at Wimbledon 2000 and lost QF at US Open 2000. Yet, there was no doubt that she would win more majors. And look at her now: 7 majors. She's the best player of this generation. At the time, Serena had lost her last matches to Davenport, Seles, Hingis, Pierce and Venus. Sharapova may not win the US Open or even a Slam next year, but she's too good a player to never win another major title. It's not that she lacks weapons either, or that she isn't continuing to develop as a player.

As for her matches against the elite, the loss to Serena was a match that could have gone either way and she is tied 2-2 head-to-head with Rena. Lindsay double-bageled her in Indian Wells, but before that Masha had won their only 2 previous encounters. Same with Venus in London. I, personally, don't think Venus can produce that level of play that she displayed in London against Maria. That was insanely good power tennis. Stuff you see a couple of times in a lifetime. Nobody was beating Venus that day.

Who would I pick during this US Open in the following match ups:

Sharapova-S.Williams

This one could go either way, but I have to give the edge to Maria. Her injury problems haven't been as devestating as Serena's nor has her recent form been as woeful (recent being Wimbledon since both women were near non-existent during the US hardcourts)

Sharapova-Davenport

Again, this one could go either way. Maria's won two close matches and then Lindsay crushed her in Indian Wells. Maria may lose to LD again, but it won't be lopsided or anything. Lindsay's back after injury, and though she did win New Haven, it's a Slam and it's Davenport. Maria's fighting spirit gives her the edge over LD.

Sharapova-Clijsters

The last time they played was the Miami final in windy conditions which Masha struggled with. Kim has been on fire all summer while Masha sat out most of it injured. This is perhaps the only match where I'd favour Maria's opponent. However, it's Kim and it's a Slam.

Sharapova-Henin

I'd favour Maria in this match-up. She's won their only hardcourt meeting. Justine's won all the clay match-ups. Again, it will be a close match and a tough task for both girls, but on hardcourts, the edge has to go to Maria.

Sharapova-V.Williams

Another match-up which could go either way. Venus is much more lethal on grass than she is on hard. She's a great hardcourt player which shows just how good she is on grass. Maria can hang with her (despite London).

Most of Maria's matches with the top girls could go either way. Would I favour Maria over them? Except for Mauresmo, no. Would I favour them over Maria? Except for Kim, no.