PDA

View Full Version : Katrina concerns and the US Open schedule

FaceyFacem
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM
for those who don't know, there is a massive hurricane about to hit New Orleans today, and it could be the largest hurricane ever to hit the US mainland, so it's a big deal, anyway, there is a weather system in the NYC area for sunday/monday and part of tues which should bring rain, and then the remnants of katrina are forecasted to reach NYC on wednesday through friday...it looks like another 2003 us open....

anyone else been hearing the same stuff? and who do you think that favors looking ahead? probably the healthy ones...kim namely

Elldee
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM
That sucks. I looked at a weather forecast for NYC a couple of days ago and they had rain on the wednesday but not for Thursday or Friday.

tenn_ace
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM
scattered storms with 50% chance of precipitation for Mon and Tue - WILL MOST PROBABLY RAIN
showers with 60% chance of precipitation for Wed - no brainer
scattered storms with 30% chance of precipitation for Thu and Fri - WILL LIKELY RAIN

From my observations, precipitations with over 30% chance as indicated at weather.com usually HAPPENS

vettipooh
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
It's rather sad for the people of New Orleans....there is an evacuation for all people in progress right now. Winds are up to 175 miles per hour, sustained. Katrina is out to do some damage, she's now a category 5. Rain is sure to hit us in NY, beginning today thru Fri. Expect some matches to be rained out, forcing some players to be on court twice in one day, or on an unscheduled day.Right now it's so cloudy, we're undecided about going to practice day at the Open.....weather predictions says 50% chance of rain with scattered thunder storms.

FaceyFacem
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
it was just downpouring here in connecticut...lucky that lindsay and amelie played saturday, james blake and feliciano lopez may not get to play...i've got tix for wednesday at the open and then move in to my dorm on thursday in manhattan...bad weather would SUCK for both...maybe katrina will just fall apart when it hits land (wishful thinking) and we'll be rain-free

Tennace
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
PLEASE DONT RAIN ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats when Im going and I really want to see Nicole Ana and Daniela play!!!!!!!

Slumpsova
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
great :rolleyes: :sad:

Spunky83
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Is it just me or do we have some priority problems over here? A whole city will probably drown with millions of people losing their home and you´re worried about tennis matches?

No kiddin´...

udachi Elena
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I just got whooped by Katrina in Miami and now i'm going to NYC for labor day weekend for the open! Hopefully the rain won't affect the open!

clonesheep
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I just got whooped by Katrina in Miami and now i'm going to NYC for labor day weekend for the open! Hopefully the rain won't affect the open!
It looks like although the weather through the middle of the week could be bad, labor day weekend will be just fine. (I hope so, since I'm going on the weekend, too.)

ys
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:26 PM
scattered storms with 50% chance of precipitation for Mon and Tue - WILL MOST PROBABLY RAIN
showers with 60% chance of precipitation for Wed - no brainer
scattered storms with 30% chance of precipitation for Thu and Fri - WILL LIKELY RAIN

From my observations, precipitations with over 30% chance as indicated at weather.com usually HAPPENS

weather.com forecast for NYC area at this point does not take Katrina into account at all. We should not look for plausibility of their forecast beyond Thursday.. Katrina is moving slower than expected. 3 days ago they calculation was that the impact day for NYC area would be Thursday, with very possible rainout.. Now it looks more like Friday or even Saturday..

Drimal
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Is it just me or do we have some priority problems over here? A whole city will probably drown with millions of people losing their home and you´re worried about tennis matches?

No kiddin´...

You are right! ;)

Katrin is a bad hurricane of the highest category and will cause many damages! :scared:

ys
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM

No kiddin´...

You are right.. i wish I was there right now. The storm's consequences will probably be grave for many. But the storm itself will be magnificient.. A surfer's lifetime dream.. :)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
You are right.. i wish I was there right now. The storm's consequences will probably be grave for many. But the storm itself will be magnificient.. A surfer's lifetime dream.. :)

The fact that you could even think about surfing is :retard:

decemberlove
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM
The fact that you could even think about surfing is :retard:

Surfers always go out during hurricanes. Why is it :retard:?

Andy T
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
It's going to disappear miraculously after having taken out the White House and all its inhabitants. God's had enough of George Wanker Bush!

JenFan75
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Kim is gonna have some fun ^_^

jbone_0307
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Surfers from where? Ever heard of storm surge? It's like this wall of water that raises the ocean level height 30 feet. I guess they will go surfing, in their backyards.

decemberlove
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Surfers from where? Ever heard of storm surge? It's like this wall of water that raises the ocean level height 30 feet. I guess they will go surfing, in their backyards.

Surfers from everywhere. They love storms, and go out usually right before the storm hits. That's why there's usually a few that die during every serious hurricane. :lol:

And yes, I know what a storm surge is, I've lived near the ocean my entire life.

ys
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Surfers from everywhere. They love storms, and go out usually right before the storm hits. That's why there's usually a few that die during every serious hurricane. :lol:

I.e. "Point Break"..

No matter what we want .. hurricanes, earthquakes and volcano eruptions will always exist. With modern technology the loss of life will be reduced next to very little. Loss of property is just that .. loss of property.. in a bigger picture .. no big deal really.. And it is a still a magnificient natural event.. Ocean will probably look mesmerizing..

njnetswill
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:14 PM
this is the tennis forum people. :p

K-Dog
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:20 PM
It's going to disappear miraculously after having taken out the White House and all its inhabitants. God's had enough of George Wanker Bush!

Keep your political opinions off this board. Since you're French, you should be the last person to talk about the US. You don't live here so you have NO right to speak on our president!! I could go off on you because you're French and I'm American, but then I'd be a hypocrite!!!

Ryan
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Keep your political opinions off this board. Since you're French, you should be the last person to talk about the US. You don't live here so you have NO right to speak on our president!! I could go off on you because you're French and I'm American, but then I'd be a hypocrite!!!

George Bush's asinine decisions and leadership skills make him a huge target for slagging. And just so you know, people can say what they want, about whomever they want to, no matter where they are from. Seeing as how *I* did not vote in the US Election (being a Canuck and all), I can say whatever I want to about YOUR shitty ass President.

:wavey:

Melly Flew Us
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM

don't tell somebody to shut up and then hold back yourself.
give him what for if you really believe in freedom of speech.
or is it a freedom reserved for the U.S. of A.?
too repressive by half.

croat123
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:39 PM
i have no power in my apartment in miami (where i have to go tomorrow cause i've got classes). it was terrible as a catagorey 1, as a 5 it's gonna destroy everything in its path. seriously, screw the open, this storm is going to ruin a million people's lives tonight

croat123
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:42 PM
i went surfing yesterday and the waves in southwest florida were pretty solid.

FaceyFacem
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:09 PM
i agree it is a serious issue for those in new orleans...a family friend just evacuated to go to my sister's place in austin, tx...i wish nothing but the best for those facing this catastrophe...however, it does affect the tennis tournament and that affects me somehow so i feel we can discuss it here, also, no one mentioned who this might benefit the most? i think a rainy week could help clijsters

K-Dog
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM
George Bush's asinine decisions and leadership skills make him a huge target for slagging. And just so you know, people can say what they want, about whomever they want to, no matter where they are from. Seeing as how *I* did not vote in the US Election (being a Canuck and all), I can say whatever I want to about YOUR shitty ass President.

:wavey:

Again, this is not a political forum. Don't bring things up here. Do that in non-tennis. I was first of all speaking to the fact that George W. was even brought up.

Because you didn't vote for our President, you can't say what you want!!! Mind your own country's business. You don't live here, get over it!!

Topher950
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM
New orleans is about the worst place it could hit as a large part of the city is underwater!......if this thing doesnt go through an eye wall replacement cycle and weaken a little, u can kiss a lot goodbye. Where i live in PA we had IVAN last year and it flooded here really really bad...like most roads were shut down. Pittsburgh (DOWNTOWN) like where the tall buildings are missed being flooded by i think 3 or 4 inches....KItrina is HUGE compared to most hurricanes....One thing in favor of New orleans is catagory 5 storms dont hold there intensity that long they weaken back to catagory 4 or so!(may weaken to 140 which is still HORRIBLE but not as bad at 165....i just hope it doesnt hit new orleans or ANYWHERE with that much rain and wind.....ESP WESTERN PA!

skanky~skanketta
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:38 PM
it better not rqain tomorrow cuz i'm working the night shift and i want to follow some scores!

K-Dog
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:45 PM
it better not rqain tomorrow cuz i'm working the night shift and i want to follow some scores!

The rain is supposed to now miss NYC. Hopefully that's true!! I don't want anything like 2003. The only I liked about that year was that the women's semis were at night. They need to bring that back. Plus the Jen/JHH match was outstanding!!

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:57 PM
It's rather sad for the people of New Orleans....there is an evacuation for all people in progress right now.
Its estimated that about 100,000 of the 500,000 in New Orleans proper don't have personal transportation to leave the city. Right now, only 12,000 people have evacuated to the Superdome.

The poor and vulnerable homeless are in harms way.

Ryan
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Again, this is not a political forum. Don't bring things up here. Do that in non-tennis. I was first of all speaking to the fact that George W. was even brought up.

Because you didn't vote for our President, you can't say what you want!!! Mind your own country's business. You don't live here, get over it!!

So logicially: Since George Bush didn't "vote" for Saddam Hussein, he should have left well enough alone and minded his own country's business. I can say whatever I want about your president, you just dont have to like it.

Melly Flew Us
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:00 AM

bush is a political figure well known within the public realm.
most of the posters on this board probably live in countries where censorship is unheard of.

therefore if i want to say that bush is a poor public speaker with no real ideas of his own - a puppet operated by a fine italian hand - i may do so if i wish.

your approach is provoking worse responses.
but i find it amusing that you are telling people posting on a public message board that you don't run what they can and can't say.

why don't you express your own (positive?) opinion on bush as a rebuttal?

Melly Flew Us
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:02 AM
and if you are concerned about the location of the thread ask the admins to move it.

K-Dog
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:09 AM
and if you are concerned about the location of the thread ask the admins to move it.

Okay, okay!! I'm sorry for being such an ass-hole!! A bad thing happened today on this board with me, and it really was just another thing when you posted again a week after what i said. You are right, I was just being an arrogant jerk, which is the reason foreigners dislike Americans like me.

I am sorry to you and Ryan from Canada. Should've never said those things!!