PDA

View Full Version : Shahar and Anna interview

Meteor Shower
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM
seems little quiet here lately, I read the interview and thought it was nice so here it is.. bolded some stuff which i liked. Its really great to see how all the israeli tennis player get along, travel toghether and compliment each other.

By AARON KAPLOWITZ
NEW YORK

When Shahar Pe'er and Anna Smashnova take the court in the women's singles tournament of the 2005 US Open, they each will have the chance to add to their growing legacies as perhaps the best Israeli female tennis players ever.

"I don't really think if I will be the best," said Pe'er, 18, following her opening round loss to Sania Mirza at the Forest Hills Women's Tennis Classic last week. "I just think that week by week I will try my best."

"Probably they're right," Smashnova said about people who consider her and Pe'er Israel's best ever. "I don't think they have had better players than us."

At one point in 2002, Smashnova, 29, was ranked 15th in the world, but she knows that her younger colleague has a tremendous upside, and may, one day, surpass her. "[Pe'er's] a good player with a big future," she said.

Although she has yet to win a WTA tournament, Pe'er showed how big her future may be when she gave Serena Williams fits in the third round of the NASDAQ-100 Open in March, eventually losing 6-3, 6-3.

The US Open may be the biggest tennis tournament in America, but both Israeli women shrug it off as just another competition that does not require special preparation. "Every tournament I train the same," said Smashnova after a practice session at the US Open's facilities. "No matter if it's Wimbledon, the US Open, or Forest Hills you train the same."

Pe'er echoed her compatriot's sentiments. "It's a big tournament," said Pe'er. "But if you think too much you won't do your best."

Both women will need to be in peak form if they hope to make noise like Pe'er did by advancing to the third round of the 2004 French Open, her first Grand Slam. "I just want to do my best, and whatever will come will come," she said. "If I win it's good, and if I lose, I'll look forward to my next match."

As for Smashnova, overcoming her opening round Grand Slam woes - she has lost 23 times in 41 appearances - will be reason enough to celebrate. "Successful would be to win one match," said the Russian-born Israeli who currently resides in Italy.

Pe'er, who has already achieved her goal this year of ranking in the top 100, would not make any substantial predictions on who would hoist this year's trophy. "Of course I hope it's me, but it's too far ahead."

The US Open will take place from August 29 to September 11 in Flushing Meadows, New York.

P.S If you are fan of any of them, you are welcome to visit the Israeli forum(It's called Anna and the smashing pistols but its actually for all israeli players)

auntie janie
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:51 AM
"Successful would be to win one match"

Anna is certainly a realist! :)

CooCooCachoo
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the article :) I find it rather bland, to be honest.