PDA

View Full Version : What to do when someone goes behind your back to get into a position of power?

selesfan1
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:21 AM
I am going to post some history so that you all can better advise me if you wish.

Ok, So at the University I attend there is a Hispanic Student Association for students to go to when they feel they need to talk to people who can relate to their culture or for Students who wish to learn more about Hispanic Culture. Last Year the president of this organization did NOTHING. Everytime there would be an event where he should have been present he was never there and because of this we lost money various campus organizations are entitled to. Needless to say a girl who we'll call Michelle who I had known stepped up and pretty much became the president. Of course she didn't call herself that but her mother is the director of a very prominent community organization that works a lot with the University we attend so it made it easy for her to plan things and get the University to back us up etc. Myself and a girl named Angie became Michelle's main supporters. I helped her get Toys donated for a Christmas party for needy Children her mother's organization has in December. We helped her organize a state wide conference for Latino Youth to come and Understand the importance of College. The other girl and I got tons of stuff donated to give away at this conference. When the president did not want to go ahead and write legislation to have the University pay for our expenses to attend a Lobby Day in Washington D.C. This other girl and I paid our own plane tickets to attend with Michelle and make sure that our University was represented. She pretty much would always say shouldn't the president be here and isn't he just lazy, what a bad job etc. Pretty much she would complain about the president and so would we because we stuck out our head for the organization when no one else would.

Now in July she attended a prominent national conference for you in Philadelphia in which she was interviewed and presented herself as the sole organizer of the conference three of us had planned. An article was written about her and how she was a positive role model because she organized events to help community youth etc. So Thursday I see a my friend Lily on campus and she asks has Michelle called you to tell you about the meeting? Of course I didn't know anything so I asked where and when it was and my friend told me. After my last class which ended at 12:15 I am walking back to my dorm and see Michelle and this phony girl gives me a kiss on each cheek and says ther's a meeting at 1 today( If I had not seen her I am almost sure she would have not called me.)So I attend this meeting and Michelle starts the meeting and introduces herself as president( I probably would have voted for her but now the back workings start to become clearer)So I am thinking who died and made you president? Angie I knew wanted to run for president of the association and Angie wasn't even told about the meeting. She goes on to hand out an Agenda and tells the people there these are the events we're doing and our association donated 1,500 toys for the LCDA(her mom's agency) and Hispanic Student Association is going to have to do that and at least more.The commitment was with the University and LCDA not the University adn the Hispanic Student Association. Keep in mind that most of the new members are Freshmen as there were very little Spohomores, and Juniors last year. So I am thinking what if we don't want Hispanic Student Association to do this shouldn't we be asked if this is something we want to do. And she goes on to say we are going to do this because LCDA is the only Hispanic Charity in the city. That is so much BS because no one in the Hispanic Community really knows who they are and so many other people do more in the city than this organiazation.She also goes on to say that Hispanic Student Association is going to be working very closely with Black Student Association, and Multicultual student Union. She never mentioned why we were going to work with these or how it would benefit us and it just seemed so random for her to bring these organization up which one of her friends run. Shouldn't the members be asked as to what direction our association should go and noe the self appointed president? None of the members from last year were present. There were more members from Black Student Association and Multicultural Studnet Association I assume to protect herself with supporters from all throughout the campus.

So I see Angie today and we both agreed that she should have told at least the members from last year what her plans were. This girl is turning out to be shisty and I was wondering what you all would advise as far as the best course of action to take?

Thanks in advance

Hulet
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
It all depends on whether you are interested in this thing to help out others or so that you can write something on your resume. If the latter, go along with whatever she is doing - be the self-appointed co-president, etc. If the former though, confronting her might be best. If that doesn't work, start a massive email campaign against her. That's how most student association organizers I know attempt to solve their disaggreements; unfortunatley for them, almost nobody reads those emails.