PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think womens tennis manages to be almost as popular as mens tennis?

king416
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:28 PM
With most sports, the womens version is often far less popular, but with tennis there is a great interest in womens matches. Is this because of celebrity style players like maria sharapova and the now defunct anna kournikova, the williams sisters phenomenon, the amiable players (lindsay, amelie, kim), or just the style of the womens game, i.e much less dominated by serves, and the 3 sets max means it often gets more exciting/dramatic earlier. If im not mistaken the womens final at Wimbledon actually gained a larger audience than the mens in America so how has womens tennis managed to shake the stigma of the female version of the sport being not as interesting?

Chrissie-fan
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:53 PM
With most sports, the womens version is often far less popular, but with tennis there is a great interest in womens matches. Is this because of celebrity style players like maria sharapova and the now defunct anna kournikova, the williams sisters phenomenon, the amiable players (lindsay, amelie, kim), or just the style of the womens game, i.e much less dominated by serves, and the 3 sets max means it often gets more exciting/dramatic earlier. If im not mistaken the womens final at Wimbledon actually gained a larger audience than the mens in America so how has womens tennis managed to shake the stigma of the female version of the sport being not as interesting?

Women's tennis has very interesting personalities which does much to popularize the game. In fact,if you would ask the average person on the street with no real interest in tennis I bet that most of them could name more female players than males right now. Another reason is that it gets just as much attention from television and the media as it's male counterpart,something which isn't the case in most other sports. The most well known female athletes are active in sports where both males and females appear in events together....gymnastics,track and field athletics,figure skating,swimming,etc...In sports where the women are out on their own they usually are ignored....Sad but true....I suspect that if it weren't for the slams where the gals share the bill with the guys even women's tennis would be more or less ignored. I'm happy that we are fans of a sport with equal opportunities for both sexes. :smoke:

frenchie
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I don't know...

Different attractive personalities?
Great rivalries?
Marketing side?
Bitchy comments? :tape:
Game? :devil:

Stamp Paid
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Because mens tennis is boring as fuck...:shrug:

tennisIlove09
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the best 3 of 5 vs 2 of 3 at the majors. No one *really* wants to sit for 2-3-4 hours to see the matches. If it's an epic between to stars, it's one thing...

but the other thing is, men's tennis is more about the serve, IMO. A player ranked 100 could in all reality have a good serving day and beat the top players. Women's tennis, there is still a good gap between the top 20 and the rest, I think. It's getting better...but the fans want to see thetop stars play against each other, and that happens more in women's tennis than ATP. I think.

DragonFlame
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:06 AM
well, the reason why i like woman's tennis more is because i think woman hit more accurate. they hit a lot sharper and more lineballs and i just love to see lineballs :hearts:. when you look at men's matches they hit the ball just a lot harder and that's why they can hit the ball less accurate. if you look at a lot of men's and woman's matches you will see woman hit a lot closer to the lines then men. i'm a fan of accurancy over power and that's why i like woman's tennis better :) i think it makes womantennis a lot more interesting then other womansports because most of the time the womanstour of a sport are just a lower form of the menstour of that sport while in tennis it's a lot different :D

*Karen*
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Mens games are boring. Unless its Marat :drool: It doesn't have enough rallies and the 5 setters go on forever.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:16 AM
but the other thing is, men's tennis is more about the serve, IMO. A player ranked 100 could in all reality have a good serving day and beat the top players. Women's tennis, there is still a good gap between the top 20 and the rest, I think. It's getting better...but the fans want to see thetop stars play against each other, and that happens more in women's tennis than ATP. I think.

Good point,which in fact does hit the nail right on the head concerning the so-called "there's more depth in men's tennis" argument that you regularly hear. There's not,it's just that the serve in men's tennis is an equalizer. If you would take away the serve the difference between the top male players and the rest would be just as big as with the women. :smoke:

Lemonskin.
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Who wants to see Federerererererer win everybloodything?

Women are better.

Cp6uja
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Women tennis is womens sport No.1 more than 40 years (publicity, money, tv-guide...etc) - NO DOUBT, and today is very good competition in WTA (5-7 superstars, and no domination).

Mans tennis have always big "popularity" competition in (mans) soccer, basketball, NFL, rugby, baseball, hockey, golf, F1 and motosports, boxing, wintersports, athletics...etc...etc..., and Federer is so dominate player...

sebbe
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Different personalities and also that the game has progressed to a much higer level then before, thanks to the willims-sisters.

Dawn Marie
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Well when I see Live matches I talk to some of the fans infact I talked to 3 different fans who were watching some of the women. One of them saw Marion Bartoli practising he had no idea who she was so I obliged and told him that she was from France and her name is Marion and that she plays UNORTHODOXED as hell? He then stated that he enjoys women's tennis because it is not all about power that he gets to see some nice net skills and good volleys. We then went on to talk about Justine Henin.

Alot of people like the game of net and touch. Like to see better rallyes and not all serve and hit hard. Tennis is powerful but it makes the men's tennis boring alot of times.

Zippy
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:34 AM
well, the reason why i like woman's tennis more is because i think woman hit more accurate. they hit a lot sharper and more lineballs and i just love to see lineballs :hearts:. when you look at men's matches they hit the ball just a lot harder and that's why they can hit the ball less accurate. if you look at a lot of men's and woman's matches you will see woman hit a lot closer to the lines then men. i'm a fan of accurancy over power and that's why i like woman's tennis better :) i think it makes womantennis a lot more interesting then other womansports because most of the time the womanstour of a sport are just a lower form of the menstour of that sport while in tennis it's a lot different :D
I have to disagree whole-heartedly with just about every thing you mentioned. But I guess everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, so to each its own.

I love women;s tennis too. But I see that generally there's less unforced errors in men’s matches, so they usually after the serve have to play a "more tactitional" game (i.e. go for lines and angles) to win the point, rather than hold up in a rally, and wait for their opponent to hit one long or into the net.

Volcana
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Why do you think womens tennis manages to be almost as popular as mens tennis?Actually, I have to disagree with your premise. Women's tennis isn't anywhere near as popular as men's tennis, especially live. However women's tennis does have a couple of players who are ridiculously popular with TV audiences, Venus and Serena Williams. Considering how much TV money drives tennis, that does make up for a lot.

As to why women's tennis is as popular as it is? (Which is VERY popular, for a women's sport.) First of all the power is way up. Second, the speed is way up. People who are fans of athletes watch now, which really wasn't the case in the 70's. And of course, since the players have to execute at that ridiculous pace, people frequently see some amazing points.

And some of it is Serena's Hollywood and Hip-Hop connections. Venus' too, but much more so Serena. A lot of people worship at the altar of celebrity. Serena does TV shows, has her own fashion company, and oh yeah, she's the best in the world. There's never really been an athlete like her.

The tour's popularity lies in the popularity of it's stars. There already Chinese who stay up to the wee hours to watch Peng play. Indians who get up early to Mirza live. And of course, there are a lot of Black folks who tune in to see Venus and/or Serena play. Some of them become fans of other players. My sister's a Capriati fan, and my Mom's a Davenport fan. but it was Venus that drew them to watching the sport.

I wouldn't mind knowing how much tennis viewership is up in Russia.

JenFan75
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Tits.

Ceecor
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I disagree too, I dont think womans is as popular as mens tennis or even close...
As to the following, take WTAworld. What is the majority age/sex of people here?

njnetswill
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Same reason why women's figure skating, gymnastics, volleyball, soccer etc. can compete with the men's game: The men's game didn't garner much attention in the first place. Simple as that.

ezekiel
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:59 AM
because it's a non contact sport based on personalitities

ezekiel
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I disagree too, I dont think womans is as popular as mens tennis or even close...
As to the following, take WTAworld. What is the majority age/sex of people here?

I am afraid to know really :tape:

Chunchun
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Agree. :worship:

middy
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Who said womens tennis is as popular as mens :scratch: Unless its top female players, womens tennis is boring as shite mainy because most players play the same type of game, bam bam

jrm
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Yeah ... and Kournikova had so many fans because she was such an excellent player!

When Serena comes to the court everyone is more interested what is she wearing rather what kind of performance we will see!

Female tennis is not nor has ever been more interesting than male when we look the play itself.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I don't think tennis has progressed at all. That's only a false illusion created by trampoline sized racquets that make it possible to hit bullet like shots. But most of the players just wack the ball as hard as possible and keep their fingers crossed. :smoke:

Different personalities and also that the game has progressed to a much higer level then before, thanks to the willims-sisters.

ceiling_fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM
people like kournikova, williams sisters made it popular i reckon

i remember like 6 years ago, the anna kournikova tennis game was out on nintendo or something! lol so basically i thought she was the best player in the world, then i heard of the williams sisters and i thought it was REALLY REALLY cool that siblings could be #1 and #2 in the world so i watched whenever it was on telly

@m@nd@
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Mens games are boring. Unless its Marat :drool:
i soooo agree ;)

silverwhite
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah ... and Kournikova had so many fans because she was such an excellent player!

When Serena comes to the court everyone is more interested what is she wearing rather what kind of performance we will see!

Female tennis is not nor has ever been more interesting than male when we look the play itself.

Yup!

At the same time, the personalities in women's tennis are more accessible. Look at the Williams sisters and Sharapova. It's exciting watching two sisters winning matches and getting into the top 10. It took a little longer for me to get into men's tennis on the other hand. It takes a while to learn to appreciate the games and the personalities of the ATP players.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah,but the same is true of men's tennis also. When men's tennis reached it's peak of popularity in the 70's and early 80's it was also to a large degree because of players like Nastase,Borg,Connors,Gerulaitis and McEnroe,all of whom behaved and looked very different from each other,and all of whom had their own image (the nice guy,the bad boy,the playboy,the clown,etc...). People aren't just drawn to tennis by the quality of play,they also want to be entertained,and strong recognizable personalities can do a better job of that. :smoke:

king416
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I didn't say it was just as popular as mens tennis, however in comparison to other sports, womens tennis holds its own in terms of popularity. I suppose both the mens and womens games are about the 'stars', like in the mens games you have certain players which will get people watching, eg federer, agassi, roddick, nadal, hewitt, safin etc but the women seem to have more 'superstar' players like sharapova and the williams sisters. I do think womens tennis is almost as popular as mens, certainly not nowhere near as popular.

souam
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

souam
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Because of many of the players' good looks, sadly and ppl not understanding anything about tennis following WTA because of that...
Because of a few ppl interested in tennis recognizing the women's game has its attractive particularities too...
Because of the funny bitchy atmosphere, gossips etc too...

Chrissie-fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I do think womens tennis is almost as popular as mens, certainly not nowhere near as popular.

Also is different from one country to the next depending on the players you have. Right now women's tennis is much more popular than men's in Belgium because of Kim and Justine. In,say Switserland men's tennis is probably more popular because of Federer,but in the days of Hingis I imagine things were different. :smoke:

hingis-seles
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
The men are technically much more sound than the women. The women's matches, on average, tend to have a higher number of unforced errors than the men's matches. I believe, the men's game is more popular than the women's. The reason the women hold their own could include, sharing top billing at the majors, the history of the sport, the effects of Billie Jean King's win over Bobby Riggs in the minds of the millions of people who watched (that was big!) and maybe, just maybe, the starpower of the atheletes. It's also become such a global sport, tennis in general, that it's fanbase is very diverse.

king416
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Also is different from one country to the next depending on the players you have. Right now women's tennis is much more popular than men's in Belgium because of Kim and Justine. In,say Switserland men's tennis is probably more popular because of Federer,but in the days of Hingis I imagine things were different. :smoke:

Yeah good point, like in the UK there are no good female tennis stars and hence very little interest in the womens game, even though there was an increased interest when Baltacha made the 3rd round of Wimbledon a few years ago. Also interesting to note is that unlike all the other slams, Wimbledon gives 4 of the daily stadium matches to men whereas the women only have 2, so i suppose in the UK mens tennis is by far more popular. It depends on the home grown talent, patriotic pride has a big impact, regardless of gender.

rrfnpump
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Mens Tennis :yawn: :zzz: :yawn:
Federer wins everything on grass
Nadal wins everything on clay
Federer/Nadal win everything on hard

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I can't think of any female individual sport than is "faster" than tennis, that's why it's interesting.

daffodil
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Women's tennis is more popular than men's tennis. It consistenly beats the men in TV ratings.

silverwhite
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Women's tennis is more popular than men's tennis. It consistenly beats the men in TV ratings.

In North America only or throughout the world?

Volcana
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Women's tennis is more popular than men's tennis. It consistenly beats the men in TV ratings.That depends, VERY heavily, on who's playing, and what country you're talking about.

If you're talking about the USA, when one of the Williams sisters is on, women's TV gets higher ratings. But...

which gender got higher ratings in the USA during the RG '05 finals, the men or the women?
Which gender got higher ratings in the USA during the US '04 finals, the men or the women?

I believe it was the men in both cases. I'll go look for the actual numbers.

If anyone has the answers, good questions to ask would be,

Does Henin-Hardenne vs Mauresmo get better ratings than Federer vs Nadal? Or Safin vs Hewitt?

Does Davenport vs Sharapova get better numbers Federer vs Agassi (or Roddick)?

However, you do have to remember that television is not shy about showing women rather than men in sports where women really DO get consistently better ratings. Consider figure skating (incidentally the most popular televised sport in North America, on an event basis). Women are the stars of that sport, and dominate what's televised. Gymnastics as well. But when it came to televising the US Open series, who got most of the TV hours? It's a business decision. The more people who watch, the more can be charged for commericals, the more the network makes.

Does anybody hae a link to a site that provides consistent data on TV ratings? We could actually track this during the US Open.

Spunky83
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I will just quote my father who said that tennis is basically the only sport which features "hot looking girls en Masse"...He says thatīs the main reason why there are so many sponsors and so much attention. I was discussing with him about how unfair it was that Anna K. despite having never won anything became so popular and he was like "as sad as it is, being beautiful sells. Ask Kuznetsova why she never got to meet Putin and Jelzin? AND KOURNIKOVA WAS A TOP TEN PLAYER!!! DONīT MAKE HER LOOK SO STUPID!" :lol: ...my mum was just sitting there, shaking her head about my fatherīs theory, but well, heīs right.

Plus as a girl, I love all the drama going on and the different personalities on the WTA and all those nice looking places tennis is played throughout the whole year. And I can idientify myself with players. Itīs really nice.

jrm
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM

That maybe true and i'm not saying it's bad BUT how many of those people watching female tennis turn on because they are expecting to see a great match? When Clijsters and JHH played the final in Flushing Meadows two years ago didn't they say it was one of the worst ratings for female final ever (even though you had top 2 players in the final)? Cannot imagine it was any better last year when Kuznetzova and Dementieva attended the final!

I have been watching tennis for about 15 years and i know that no matchup today could have been as nearly interesting and anticipated as let's say Graf vs Seles or Navratilova vs Graf! You tuned to see those matches knowing they would be good and full of excitement! Cannot say the same thing for year 2005!

Wintermute
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Why do you think womens tennis manages to be almost as popular as mens tennis?

I find it interesting that this question is posed by someone from the UK. Women's tennis gets barely any coverage in the mainstream press in the UK. The only time you really hear about it is during Wimbledon fortnight.

Presumably journalists cover what they believe people want to read about. Since there are no British women in the Top 100 they don't write about it as they think no-one is interested.

Henman, Rusedski (and now Murray) get the odd mention since they are actually successful. If we assume press coverage reflects popular opinion then in the UK I'd say that men's tennis is far more popular than women's.

Geisha
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Women's tennis is one of the only sport that men like- sports and women, a lot of the time, these women get to wear skimpy tennis outfits. LOL. You don't get that in other sports, because males are better athletes. I mean, men's hockey vs. women's hockey. Women's hockey is a lesser version of men's so who would watch what? Obviously the men. Volleyball is somewhat like tennis but it is much less popular, at least in the US of A.

rrfnpump
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I think women could beat men in Curling :p
but they dont wear sexy outfits there :lol: :lol:

Geisha
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM
lol.

king416
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I find it interesting that this question is posed by someone from the UK. Women's tennis gets barely any coverage in the mainstream press in the UK. The only time you really hear about it is during Wimbledon fortnight.

Presumably journalists cover what they believe people want to read about. Since there are no British women in the Top 100 they don't write about it as they think no-one is interested.

Henman, Rusedski (and now Murray) get the odd mention since they are actually successful. If we assume press coverage reflects popular opinion then in the UK I'd say that men's tennis is far more popular than women's.

I know womens tennis isnt very popular in the UK but im talking on an international scale, if you compare the womens version of most sports they get far less coverage than the mens, whereas in tennis, women get almost 50/50 coverage in most events. It seems that womens tennis is far more recognised and appreciated, i mean even the BBC emphasised the Clijsters/Davenport 4th round at Wimbledon.

Mudbone
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Everyone should admit the WTA is more popular...Heck no one gives a flip about the men....The reasons are quite obvious...The womens games has far more interesting characters and more exciting match-ups....Williams vs Sharapova..Williams va Belgian....Williams vs Davenport....Belgians vs Sharapova all excite people....

All the ATP has is Federer and the 7 dwarfs!!! There are simply no compelling matchups....I think Fed vs Nadal is interesting on clay....But Fed vs the rest is a forgone conclusion on other surfaces...The ATP is simply a joke...No interesting personalities and no rivalries to sell the product....Fess up folks mens tennis is dying and rapidly losing what little market share if has!!!!

At the USOPen i will watch the men only to get to the WTA matches...

kammgretel
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:13 PM
My reason for like WTA tour is very obvious, because the girls can move better than the men of ATP, they are lighter in some sense (the most of the girls) , and they look better. About the serve, it is not possible to compare with any player of ATP, because the men really serve hardly and speedily, but the girls make us BEAT THE HEART in every serve, it is a conjunction of subtle style and beauty.

:kiss: WTA :kiss:

rjd1111
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Almost? Unless Agassi or Roddick is playing the Women's final usually out
draws the men, provided their are American Women in it. ( Venus,Serena,
Lindsay and maybe JCap). When the Final involves Venus or Serena, It
has consistantly outdrawn the Men. The 2002 Wimby, their doubles final
beat the mens singles Final in ratings. ( Hewitt over Nalbandian)
Venus and Serena's Primetime all Williams USO match is still the highest real
tennis match ever.

rjd1111
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:56 PM

How Many Men's Finals Have been on Prime Time. And What was the Highest Rated GS Final ever.

rjd1111
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
The men are technically much more sound than the women. The women's matches, on average, tend to have a higher number of unforced errors than the men's matches. I believe, the men's game is more popular than the women's. The reason the women hold their own could include, sharing top billing at the majors, the history of the sport, the effects of Billie Jean King's win over Bobby Riggs in the minds of the millions of people who watched (that was big!) and maybe, just maybe, the starpower of the atheletes. It's also become such a global sport, tennis in general, that it's fanbase is very diverse.

I don't think the Quality of the Matches have anything to do with it.
That only makes a difference in the eyes of real Tennis Aficionados
( And many of these think Womens Tennis is better)The casual fans who tune in to see the Stars of the sport are the
ones who determine the popularity. They don't care about the
techical aspect of the game. They care about watching the celebrities
of the game. Many of them may not know what an UFE is. But every
time they open a magazine or tune in to Oprah or many other talk shows
and even award shows they see Venus and Serena and now Maria.
When was the last time Federer was on Leno or Good Morning America.
In promoting their reality Show V & S made the whole circuit of Shows.
Outside of Agassi and Roddick most Americans don't know who many of
the Men's stars are. They Know who Venus and Serena are. And don't
think the TV people don't know this. I have heard many complaints from
posters here about them not televising non-American and lesser known
players, instead showing several replays of Venus, Serena, Roddick
and Agassi's matches. There is a reason for this. You want to see the
different players. They want ratings. They are going to televise what
makes them the money. To you Mens Tennis is more popular. To the
General public that may not be so.

rjd1111
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:48 PM
That depends, VERY heavily, on who's playing, and what country you're talking about.

If you're talking about the USA, when one of the Williams sisters is on, women's TV gets higher ratings. But...

which gender got higher ratings in the USA during the RG '05 finals, the men or the women?
Which gender got higher ratings in the USA during the US '04 finals, the men or the women?

I believe it was the men in both cases. I'll go look for the actual numbers.

If anyone has the answers, good questions to ask would be,

Does Henin-Hardenne vs Mauresmo get better ratings than Federer vs Nadal? Or Safin vs Hewitt?

Does Davenport vs Sharapova get better numbers Federer vs Agassi (or Roddick)?

However, you do have to remember that television is not shy about showing women rather than men in sports where women really DO get consistently better ratings. Consider figure skating (incidentally the most popular televised sport in North America, on an event basis). Women are the stars of that sport, and dominate what's televised. Gymnastics as well. But when it came to televising the US Open series, who got most of the TV hours? It's a business decision. The more people who watch, the more can be charged for commericals, the more the network makes.

Does anybody hae a link to a site that provides consistent data on TV ratings? We could actually track this during the US Open.

USO 04'.... Sveta and Elena
RG 05....... Henin and Pierce

Had a Sister or Maria or even Lindsay played it may have been Different
all though Nadal is gaining in popularity.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM
The women players tend to show more of their personalities than the male players & also tend to be more mentally fallable than the ATP players who can sometimes seem almost too predictably good..too robotic.

The lack of dominance of the serve & the fact that absolutely anthing can happen in a WTA match no matter what the score makes the womens side a more exciting watch. Big leads are often surrendered, matches are never over till the final point is won.

Also, the womens game is very competative - since 2003 no single player dominates.

rjd1111
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM
That maybe true and i'm not saying it's bad BUT how many of those people watching female tennis turn on because they are expecting to see a great match? When Clijsters and JHH played the final in Flushing Meadows two years ago didn't they say it was one of the worst ratings for female final ever (even though you had top 2 players in the final)? Cannot imagine it was any better last year when Kuznetzova and Dementieva attended the final!

I have been watching tennis for about 15 years and i know that no matchup today could have been as nearly interesting and anticipated as let's say Graf vs Seles or Navratilova vs Graf! You tuned to see those matches knowing they would be good and full of excitement! Cannot say the same thing for year 2005!

There was no Venus or Serena playing in those two.

andrewbroad
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Women's tennis is better than men's tennis for two reasons:

The women have much more attractive rallies, especially the players with flairsome power (as opposed to muscular power), and the quality is more consistent across different surfaces.

Men's tennis on grass: the rallies tend to be too short, especially since the men take longer between points than the women.
Men's tennis on clay tends to be dominated by boring claycourt-specialists who just trade topspin groundstrokes all day.

Let's face it, the women are much more photogenic than the men, especially with the emergence of many more East European girls in women's tennis. :hearts: And female fans see the WTA players as role-models.
If Maria Sharapova (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/) continues her remarkable rise to superstardom, combining the consistency that got her to #1 with the spectacle of more Grand Slam titles, I think everyone will have to agree that women's tennis is more popular than men's tennis by the end of the 00s.

But the big problem is that men's tennis gets much more coverage than women's tennis, at least in the UK. Wimbledon regularly schedule two men's matches (best of five sets) and one women's match (best of three sets) on Centre Court, while The Daily Telegraph's US Open 2005 coverage barely recognised that there was a women's event! :fiery:

The state of British tennis doesn't help the UK media-coverage of women's tennis, after ten years of Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski getting all the hype - and now Andy Murray - while British women's tennis is a joke.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

controlfreak
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I put it down to all the weridos who post on menstennisforums.com :rolleyes:

xan
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I don't really think the BBCs level of coverage is a good determiner of Womens' Tennis popularity in Europe. The BBC Sport department is run by dinosaurs who would rather show a five set yawnfest between the men than two great womens' matches. That's just the way BBC Sport works. Womens sport is inferior. When they covered the Boat race, they'd rather interview the people waxing the oars for the mens craft, than show the women's race.

The other point is that Britains stars, such as they are, are all men.

Yet Eurosport now shows more WTA tennis than ATP, although it didn't start off that way.

Female Tennis is

* A more balanced game than mens tennis atm. Rallies, counterpunching, speed and tactics play a part as well as power.
* There is a strong mental aspect.
* It has more personalities who are recognisable and interesting. You can therefore get involved in the matches.
* It has good-looking players who act as role-models.
* The matches last between 45 minutes and 2 hours, which is a reasonable time frame.

SelesFan70
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:30 PM
3 Words: BILLIE JEAN KING :bowdown:

Ari
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Women tennis is womens sport No.1 more than 40 years (publicity, money, tv-guide...etc) - NO DOUBT, and today is very good competition in WTA (5-7 superstars, and no domination).

Mans tennis have always big "popularity" competition in (mans) soccer, basketball, NFL, rugby, baseball, hockey, golf, F1 and motosports, boxing, wintersports, athletics...etc...etc..., and Federer is so dominate player...

I absolutely agree with you. Women's tennis has been a professional sport(number one namely), that can be played by women, for a greater number of years than -- WNBA or the now defunct WUSA. Like you pointed out for the last 40 years they have been getting the Lion's share of publicity, money, etc. Mainly because, well here in the U.S. at least, there are only three professional sports open to women.

Anne K.
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
:) Let's face it--women's tennis would NOT be as popular as it is unless
a LOT of men/boys were watching it. And why? Sadly, mostly because
your average male sports fan likes seeing toned women's bodies in very
skimpy outfits, lunging around a court. At least that's what my brother
and his friends say. My bro actually used to watch women's professional
bowling (before the tour went under!) just to scope out the chicks!! He
also told me that if he wanted to see a good tennis match, he watched
men's tennis; he said 90% of women's matches were crap!! :mad: So there
you have one theory---I don't pretend to understand men, but it wouldn't
surprise me if what he said is true--at least for the AVERAGE tennis fan.
People who are passionate about tennis--in other words, those that post
on this board--likely won't agree!! ;)