PDA

View Full Version : Money hungry

Marshmallow
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Which players do you believe, are most likely to be driven mostly by money (and to a lesser extent fame) as opposed to sheer love of the game.

Infiniti2001
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Well every player is in the game for money , whether we like it or not. This is what they chose as a fulltime profession. Of course there are those who over play, but that's another story :p

RayRob
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Lindsay for the money....definately....well, actually I think it's her financial broker hubby that drives her for the cash ;)

Seriously, not sure if there are any women driven only financially....I really think that you have to want the titles to some extent to actually enjoy doing it day in, day out! or else, there's no sence of acheivement - what does the amount of money prove?

I don't know, that's my oppinion. :D

-Rache

TennisChick227
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Well every player is in the game for money , whether we like it or not. This is what they chose as a fulltime profession. Of course there are those who over play, but that's another story :p

I disagree with you...not every player is in it for the money..I mean the top players are pretty well off and wouldnt have to win another match and theyll still be set financially..there's no way you can tell me Agassi..or Davenport..are playing for money...or even a player like Federer...if u think Federer is playing tennis for money then...i dont kno about that

Marshmallow
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I believe there is a difference. Some players were inspired by watching their idol perform. E.g. Mauresmo - Yannick Noah. Or Ivanovic - Seles.

Sure it's a career, but it seems some enjoy and respect this amazing career more than others. I mean it's the story of the pushy money hungry parent all too familiar.

But... maybe. *shrugs*

Marshmallow
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:17 AM
*tut* I didn't see the other replies. Thank you.

frenchie
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Maybe players coming from "poor" country?

sioul
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I disagree with you...not every player is in it for the money..I mean the top players are pretty well off and wouldnt have to win another match and theyll still be set financially..there's no way you can tell me Agassi..or Davenport..are playing for money...or even a player like Federer...if u think Federer is playing tennis for money then...i dont kno about that

i understand what your saying but i have to disagree to an extent. while a player like agassi and lindsay are surely not playing for the money because they have plenty, i disagree with federer. yes im sure he loves the game but i also think the difference between an agassi and a federer is not in cash, but agassi is near the end of his career. if federer wanted to quit, it would be stupid because he knows he has a good hand full of years ahead of him. he is still young, he would be stupid not to go on. he has his whole life ahead of him to retire, why not make all the money while u can when ur still hot and young?

kinda like britnery spears or christina or justin timberlake, sure they can retire at anytime they choose but you better believe there trying tomake as much money now while they still are able too.

pcrtennis
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Sharapova
Sharapova
Sharapova
Sharapova

wurzelman
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Players from poor areas like the Eastern block or Russia, where tennis is seen as a way of making more money than is dreamt possible.

TennisChick227
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:26 AM
i disagree with federer. yes im sure he loves the game but i also think the difference between an agassi and a federer is not in cash, but agassi is near the end of his career. if federer wanted to quit, it would be stupid because he knows he has a good hand full of years ahead of him. he is still young, he would be stupid not to go on. he has his whole life ahead of him to retire, why not make all the money while u can when ur still hot and young?

Oh def. i agree with you on that..but when i mentioned Federer it was just to say that i think he plays tennis for the love of it and he "just so happens to get paid for it" you get what im saying...in my opinion i think if you didnt get paid to play tennis Federer would still be playing (hopefully u understand what im trying to say :) ) When i try to figure out who plays for money or not i ask myself if tennis didnt pay who would stop playing??

ezekiel
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Williams sisters followed by all the Russians

Ceecor
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Players from poor areas like the Eastern block or Russia, where tennis is seen as a way of making more money than is dreamt possible.

Oh da lol.....
In many non-western countries the pro-choices are limited too. Specially for women......Gymnastics and the majority of traditional olympic sports dont pay well enough to support yourself. :)

sioul
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Oh def. i agree with you on that..but when i mentioned Federer it was just to say that i think he plays tennis for the love of it and he "just so happens to get paid for it" you get what im saying...in my opinion i think if you didnt get paid to play tennis Federer would still be playing (hopefully u understand what im trying to say :) ) When i try to figure out who plays for money or not i ask myself if tennis didnt pay who would stop playing??

yea i get wut ur saying :) :lick:

Cp6uja
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:41 AM
In woman tennis (IMO), much more than in mans tennis - parents of players (i mean "daddy's") is more Money hungry than players.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Anna Kournikova,no contest. Here we have a lady who in my opinion was a very talented player but chose to make loads of easy money simply for being Anna Kournikova,the sex-symbol instead. :smoke:

Shonami Slam
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:45 AM
how silly of me - Mary Gambale!
I went through this post before and was like "that's silly - we can't REALLY now with anyone! sure, kournikova really sky-rocketed the awareness in Russia towards the amounts of money in tennis, but they are so into sporting philosophy and way of life that i can't tell who wants to be the best athlete and who wants to be the richest one..."
but then i remembered that Gambale actually STARTED playing for that reason and that reason alone!
the williams sisters are a bit different as thier father wanted to create champions, not walking purses.
sure, he knew their would be tons of money on the way - but that don't mean his goal for having the best players in the world. same for Bolliteri Academy girls.
but Gambale is known for the Money issue, and this USopen is her seal of approval that she's finally getting to a level where the cash starts flowing in.

Ceecor
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Q. Why does Hilton and Trump do tv shows?...ego or money...they already have plenty of both......i wouldnt jump to the conclusion that just because someone has money they dont want more......as the saying goes.........
'a multi-millionare is usually a frustrated would-be billionare.'...anon

Berlin_Calling
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Damir Dokic. duh.

sebbe
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Davenport, always when there is a discussion about money and equal prizemoney in the Grand Slams you can find Lindsay's name. I don't mean that equal prizemoney is something bad just that it is always Lindsay.

tennnisfannn
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Williams sisters followed by all the Russians
if the sisters were chasing money they would be in every tourny both singles and doubles. As it is they pick and choose.

ceiling_fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:08 AM
damir dokic :lol:

ivanovic
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:55 AM
SHARAPOVA followed by WILLIAMS SISTERS

@m@nd@
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM
SHARAPOVA followed by WILLIAMS SISTERS
like tennnisfann said, if the williams sisters are hungry for money they'd be playing alot more tournaments. and if maria doesnt love tennis and only started playing tennis because of money, we'd see her retire from tennis by now and pursue a career in modelling or whatever. imo all tennis players play tennis because they love the sport, and money is just a bonus for many of them. there are alotta other jobs where ppl can potentially earn a lot of money...so theres really no reason why they are willing to spend so many years to train and risk the chance that they will never reach the top if they dont actually like tennis

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
if the sisters were chasing money they would be in every tourny both singles and doubles. As it is they pick and choose.

I'm not saying the Williams sisters are driven by money but as an argument that they are not this one doesn't hold much water. Quite simply the Williams sisters have reached a level of fame where they can make more money by tv appearances, interviews and advertising (McDonalds for example) than they can by playing small tournaments, they only need to play the Grand Slams really to ensure they stay in the public eye. Indeed the fact that they play so few tournaments can be used as an arguement that they are more focused on money than on their tennis. This might not be the case but I really don't think we can make any catagorical statements either way. It's all speculation as to what their priorities are.

cyberix
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
In woman tennis (IMO), much more than in mans tennis - parents of players (i mean "daddy's") is more Money hungry than players.

I tend to agree. After all with all the training starting at 6 years old options for the young girl are pretty limited.
But for sure the woman that is the least interested in money must be Kimmie. Talking of retiring at 24 years :(

Maria Croft
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM
like tennnisfann said, if the williams sisters are hungry for money they'd be playing alot more tournaments. and if maria doesnt love tennis and only started playing tennis because of money, we'd see her retire from tennis by now and pursue a career in modelling or whatever. imo all tennis players play tennis because they love the sport, and money is just a bonus for many of them. there are alotta other jobs where ppl can potentially earn a lot of money...so theres really no reason why they are willing to spend so many years to train and risk the chance that they will never reach the top if they dont actually like tennis

I agree, not much I can add to that ;)

ceiling_fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
i think most of the top 100 or so are driven to be the best, and money would be a "bonus". They don't play just to win money, but to win, and then get money... hope that makes sense :scratch:

manu32
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:45 AM
russians......they play more and more tournaments...for this reason....

Tenisci
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM
sHARAPOVA

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I tend to agree. After all with all the training starting at 6 years old options for the young girl are pretty limited.
But for sure the woman that is the least interested in money must be Kimmie. Talking of retiring at 24 years :(

Again I don't think I can accept this as an arguement that Kim Clijsters isn't motivated by money. It is commonly said that Agassi can't be playing for money because he has truckloads already and therefore he must be playing for the love of the competition. Thus there has to be a level of money that once reached one no longer needs to worry about cash. It would appear Clijsters has concluded that within 2 1/2 years she will have made all the money she could possibly need for the rest of her life and ,therefore, there will be no need to continue playing tennis. Undoubtably in 2 years at the rate Kim is going she will have made a massive amount of dosh. But whether she has won a singles grand slam title is unclear. If she leaves the sport without having achieved such a primary goal but having made so much cash I think I would draw the conclusion that she played to reach a certain financial level and once that was reached she was no longer interested in continuing with the competition.

We all know Kim has a (almost certainly deserved) reputation as one of the nicest players on the tour and one of the most liked by her peers. But it is possible to be a nice person and yet still be very focused on making money. I believe this to be the case with Kim.

lindsayno1
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Davenport...driven by her husband. Although maybe not so much now. she doesnt need the money.

But yeah Vee and Serena, and Masha

blamoh
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I don't know how old are the posters on this board these days. Because back
in the days when this board was full of matured posters, no one dare to come
up with this kind of thread.
These girls who are playing tennis never had a career. Tennis is their career.
And by career, we mean a way to make money and live a normal live.
Navratilova at 48 just loves the game and not playing only charity but
thravels extensively all over the world and even having a trainer for that matter.

ezekiel
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Again I don't think I can accept this as an arguement that Kim Clijsters isn't motivated by money. It is commonly said that Agassi can't be playing for money because he has truckloads already and therefore he must be playing for the love of the competition. Thus there has to be a level of money that once reached one no longer needs to worry about cash. It would appear Clijsters has concluded that within 2 1/2 years she will have made all the money she could possibly need for the rest of her life and ,therefore, there will be no need to continue playing tennis. Undoubtably in 2 years at the rate Kim is going she will have made a massive amount of dosh. But whether she has won a singles grand slam title is unclear. If she leaves the sport without having achieved such a primary goal but having made so much cash I think I would draw the conclusion that she played to reach a certain financial level and once that was reached she was no longer interested in continuing with the competition.

We all know Kim has a (almost certainly deserved) reputation as one of the nicest players on the tour and one of the most liked by her peers. But it is possible to be a nice person and yet still be very focused on making money. I believe this to be the case with Kim.

Excellent post :worship:

Serena!
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Sharapova
Sharapova
Sharapova
Sharapova
Her DAD is driven by money, and she's driven by her dad! lol

bee
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
well... all of them are playing for the prize money... :)

TonyP
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Most people in a capitalist society are motivated by money. So what? All you can say for tennis players is, they have been lucky enough to find a way to make a living by playing a game.

ezekiel
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM

It seems like they play just enough to keep the ranking but really have other business interests. I think they are smart to realize that tennis carreer won't last forever so they are preparing for a future carreer while still young and famous.

*Karen*
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Players from russia and surrounding countries.

ivanovic
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
this thread should be put in the sharapova launches a new fragrance the bitch is clearly out there to make $$ and irritate me along the way

CooCooCachoo
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Maria Sharapova.
Nadia Petrova.

New
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I think everyone does it for the love of the game... However, they need the money to continue..

Cos who's gonna pay for airplane tickets/coach/trainers etc...i think the sponsors only contribute to certain aspects of the traveling fee...

!<blocparty>!
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM
The Williams sisters are worth well over 100 million. The majority of their money comes from outside tennis these days...I would assume, since they're worth so much. Sure, they can make more by playing tournaments but not that much in comparison to endorment deals like Mcdonals, etc.

And LOL at the Lindsay fans who think her husband drives her for the money :retard:

andrewC
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM

very true. I think sharpova is guilty of being money hungry, but more because of her father Yuri... sending his daughter off at a young age to america to live and breathe tennis, surely that was financially motivated, and not wanting the best for his daughter. All players with similar stories are the money hungry ones

gentenaire
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Richard Williams never made a secret out of the fact that he introduced his daughters to tennis because that's where a lot of money could be made. He certainly did it for the money.

As for the sisters themselves, I think they're more driven by fame. But really, if a player doesn't really love the game, I don't see how they could possibly get far in it.

Piotr'ek
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Serena !

joaco
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Nalbandian is 100 % ONLY for the money. Everyone in Argentina knows that. It is trully sad :rolleyes:

RainyDays
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM
pushy money hungry parent

I think it's these people who are driven by money. Most players start playing at 3, 4, 5 years old. It's all they know.

clonesheep
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
For some top players, although in the beginning of their career money is an important factor, once they are established they may care more about their "legacy". For Lindsay, having one more slam makes a difference in terms of her place in tennis history. That's the only motivation driving her right now.

Chriskip
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I dont see the logic behind saying just because Kim says she will retire at 24/25 she is not motivated by money (only time will prove that...I dont believe that...think its a ploy to take some pressure off now that she is the favourite going into the US Open). Look at how much she plays otherwise. For a player who is concerned about what effect the rigors of the game has had on her body, she sure is not making any effort to limit the tourney numbers. Its not as if her fans are going to forget her if she takes a couple weeks break. In fact some players, like Justine seem to have more appreciation whenever she comes back from a break. If, on the other hand Justine played like Kim did, she would get a hell of a lot of negative press.
Kim in my opinion is the biggest money hunter out there. She gets away with it by virtue of being seen as "nice".....something Mary-jo and the other commentators make a point of highlighting.........God...if she is so nice we will all see it...no need to keep reinforcing it.

dania
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Believe it or not people from poor countries are not all money hungrey.I think they all play for money but I`m sure most of them would still play even without the money.

Marshmallow
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
To the Ďif theyíre driven by money, then why donít they retire argumentí, well if money and fame are a driving force, any opportunity to make money will be taken. Hence, if your healthy and can get more money and fame Ė then surely youíll stick to it. Trump is money driven like most business men and HE hasnít retired.

I don't know how old are the posters on this board these days. Because back
in the days when this board was full of matured posters, no one dare to come
up with this kind of thread.
These girls who are playing tennis never had a career. Tennis is their career.
And by career, we mean a way to make money and live a normal live.
Navratilova at 48 just loves the game and not playing only charity but
thravels extensively all over the world and even having a trainer for that matter.

I hear what you are saying, but if Iím totally honest, I donít care. Iím sorry if people think this is a dumb thread or find it offensive, but it isnít designed to tarnish anyoneís name. I believe it IS a fact, that tennis is seen by many parents initially as a good way to make money through and for their kids. This drive can be passed on to their kids, as equally as the kids can learn to love tennis. Monica Seles, Mauresmo, Roberta vinci and Navratilova IMO are people who LOVE the game. Two have shown, they are willing to play even though their competitive days are over. This is love to me. Not everyone is like that Ė and I wanted to see if people had opinions on it. Should I be afraid to ask whatís on my mind?

Everyone wants to make money to survive Ė for sure. We need to. But I believe there are many who play out of love and money is a bonus. This isnít a naÔve assumption is it?

Marshmallow
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I think it's these people who are driven by money. Most players start playing at 3, 4, 5 years old. It's all they know.

I accept this point.

Makes me feel sorry for players who aren't that good who were pushed into tennis fr money and not because they showed interest.

cometz9
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
i Think the question here is Why do children want to be Professional athletes when they grow up? Is it for money or the love of the game? I think there is a bit of both, who doesn't want to make money in order to be successful by enjoying what they do best? Most tennis players aren't fortunate as the Top players who have big endorsement deals so they have to earn money everyday playing tournaments. Also, maybe tennis is the only opportunity that a player has instead of education in some countries.