PDA

View Full Version : Veteran / Phenom SHOWDOWN: S Williams (8) vs. Y-J Chan (Q)

pierce0415
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Serena Yung-Jan

WTA Rank: 8 248
Highest: 1 240

GS Played: 26 1
GS Won: 7 0

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl43526/fotohtm/photo/wil493p.jpghttp://photo910.tripod.com/sfotohtm/sphoto/cha5393s.jpg

Pengwin
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Chan :tape:

cellophane
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
It's Asian Monday at the US Open. :D

pierce0415
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Well ordinarily Serena would be the heavy favorite but we don't even know if she can move around freely on the court. If YJ is not taken back by the occasion, I could see her upseting Serena on Monday

Stamp Paid
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Serenas never lost in the first round of a slam before...so if she willed out the win against Cohen-Aloro, she'll will this one out too.

Shonami Slam
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:04 PM
serena as a veteran?
Raymond, Maleeva, Conchita, Farina-elia, Maleeva, Sugiyama, Pierce.
serena isn't a veteran, i don't think she'll keep playing at 30 like these players do.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I think it all depends on how Chan handles the situation. She's never played a WTA tour event of ANY kind before this week, qualies or main draw She's only played a couple of challengers this year. She won those events, but I can tell you right now she's probably never played in front of more than 200 people and she's DEFINITELY never had a match on television before. Throwing somebody into a match on Arthur Ashe like that is overwhelming, especially against Serena. Injured or not, the woman has a presence about her.

That being said, Chan at the very least is playing like a player ranked 75-100 this week. And Serena has STRUGGLED against people at that ranking and lower in her current state since Wimbledon. Yung-Jan lost ten games in three rounds of qualifying this week, and that's impressive no matter how you slice it. Serena better be ready to go, because if she's not on and Yung-Jan isn't overwhelmed, this match is at least going three sets.

pierce0415
Serena is a vet compared to her opponent

cellophane
serena as a veteran?
Raymond, Maleeva, Conchita, Farina-elia, Maleeva, Sugiyama, Pierce.
serena isn't a veteran, i don't think she'll keep playing at 30 like these players do.

Rod Black (the joke of a commentator on TSN) almost called Naida a veteran in her match against Sesil. :haha:

tobe
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Serena! Even though she is not fit, this is a SLAM!

Shonami Slam
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Rod Black (the joke of a commentator on TSN) almost called Naida a veteran in her match against Sesil. :haha:

well, Safina always seems like one of the older batch of russians with dementieva, petrova, nastya and krasnoroutskaya more than the newer Kirilenko, Chakvatadze, Douchevina and linetskaya. so Pam in ES always refers to her as one f the veteran russians, which is so odd considering she's just 19.

I'm just saying that calling serena in any comparsion a veteran, even if she plays a 13 year-old is ridicoulous.
Veterans are usually top20 players that never really broke through. you look at so many 30+ girls i mentioned and they had a peak year in the top10, but mostly dwelled in the 15-25 area, with titles mostly when they take a break from the top tiers and play a tierIV or two.
Veterans tend to play all the time, without too many injuries in thier whole careers. they just have a different personality, laid back and understanding of the really tough demands in women's tennis.
I just can't imagine Serena playing after 30 knowing she isn't going to win anything better than a low Tier. there are some exceptional veterans, but in general it requires a totally different character.
i think serena will quit aged 27-28. that's two very tough years away from what we call "veteran" in the tennis world.

Dexter
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Chan!

RenaSlam.
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM
:eek:

Freakan
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:41 PM
chan chan chan

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Rena would normally crush her thats for sure....but for now, I believe that she will at least win for sure.

Zippy
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Baby Girl (Serena) takes this 6-3, 6-3

Stamp Paid
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Baby Girl (Serena) takes this 6-3, 6-3

Babygirl is one word. :cool:;)

K-Dog
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:57 PM
You guys, there is a HUGE difference from the competition that Chan plays and what Serena is. Serena should cruise if her knee is okay. 6-2 6-3.

DemWilliamsGulls
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm saying 97% Serena...I dont think this girl can beat Serena if she is 40% maybe 30%...I think the 9 people who voted against Serena really dont want her to win ...if THE REAL Serena shows up..its going to be a absolute steamrolled match....

Tripp
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:22 PM
If the REAL Serena shows up, she could crush Davenport, Sharapova and anyone else. But she's not 100% right now, we all know that. Anyhow, I don't think Yung-Yan is ready for this kind of upsets right now. Maybe in a couple of years she'll be able to beat the likes of Serena, and she will, assuming what I've heard about her is true.
But then again, it's tennis, you never know...

pcrtennis
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Chan > Craybas
Craybas defeated Serena

therefore:
Chan will defeat Serena

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:34 PM
You guys, there is a HUGE difference from the competition that Chan plays and what Serena is. Serena should cruise if her knee is okay. 6-2 6-3.

Yes, IF. That's the issue. Nobody is denying that if Serena will cruise through in an hour or less if she is playing at her normal level. If she plays the way she did at Wimbledon or against Cohen-Aloro last week though, it could get very interesting.

Lemonskin.
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Why is everything a SHOWDOWN to Pierce0145?

- We ain't in the old west
- It ain't High Noon
- They're fighting with racquets, they ain't fighting with guns.

YEE-HAW!!!

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:00 AM
First of All Serena is a Veteran in the Tennis game.. she has been playing for 9 years.. thats enough to call her a veteran.. Second.. Serena should Crush this girl.. and if she loses a set She should reconsider coming back until she is 100%.. It is sooo unlike Serena to lose sets or even games for that matter to players like Haynes, Craybas, Cohen-Aloro, and Santangelo

pcrtennis
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Chan is verrry talented though...she isn't going to be or isn't now a Craybas, Cohen-aloro, Haynes etc. SHe's fearless, young, aggressive and mentally tough...and with Serena's confidence soo low, I would not count her out at all.

Shonami Slam
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:12 AM
First of All Serena is a Veteran in the Tennis game.. she has been playing for 9 years.. thats enough to call her a veteran.. Second.. Serena should Crush this girl.. and if she loses a set She should reconsider coming back until she is 100%.. It is sooo unlike Serena to lose sets or even games for that matter to players like Haynes, Craybas, Cohen-Aloro, and Santangelo

Veteran aged 23???!!!
k.
btw, Venus is playing the ladies 35 + this grand slam, right? :rolleyes:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:46 AM
You dont have to be over 35 to be considered a veteran dumbass

JenFan75
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:49 AM
I think Chan will win. 5-7 6-4 6-1

Chunchun
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Serena :yeah: :worship:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Well ordinarily Serena would be the heavy favorite but we don't even know if she can move around freely on the court. If YJ is not taken back by the occasion, I could see her upseting Serena on Monday

Some people act like Serena is on crutches. :rolleyes:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Chan > Craybas
Craybas defeated Serena

therefore:
Chan will defeat Serena

Don't be stupid, Craybas is a top 100 player, Chan isn't even ranked in the top 200.

njnetswill
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Wow players get hyped so quickly now. It's still Serena people. If Serena loses I will be :bolt:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Serena Yung-Jan

WTA Rank: 8 248
Highest: 1 240

GS Played: 26 1
GS Won: 7 0

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl43526/fotohtm/photo/wil493p.jpghttp://photo910.tripod.com/sfotohtm/sphoto/cha5393s.jpg

Serena's dresses in 2001 were all so hot. And the braids were hot as well.

pcrtennis
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Don't be stupid, Craybas is a top 100 player, Chan isn't even ranked in the top 200.

That's because she's just turned 16....she's a better quality player, I've seen them both up close...

JLDementieva
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:12 AM
woooooo! let's go Chan!! :bounce:

Martian KC
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Go Yung-Jan!!!

new-york
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Babygirl is one word. :cool:;)

Babygirl is Aaliyah. :angel:

crazyroberto6767
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:28 AM
:rolleyes: People will hop on anyone's bandwagon to take another player *especially Serena* down. If one thing is certain, it is Serena's confidence is NEVER low... and her will to win is ALWAYS present. This is New York, where Serena lights up like no other. Even at the risk of having to eat my words later, I predict Serena easily wins this one.

*This is all assuming Serena does even play*

selyoink
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Serena will win but she may struggle for a while.

DragonFlame
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:02 AM
my god people..., at least have the respect to say serena is going to win this. how can a 16year-old in her first bigtime match win this? :confused: i don't like serena but that doesn't mean you have to take every cheap shot at her you can:ras:.
serena is going to win this and if not..... she should stop playing this year to get fit and come back next year.

be a bit SPORTIVE and look at the statistics to see serena should win this match easily, if it's a match of 2 topplayers or someone that has experience do all the fighting and supporting for the other player you want but this is just low against serena. :o. most of you(including me :p ) probably haven't even heard of yung-jan before

i'll just say go yung-jan and do your best in your first big match :) do all you can and show people you got a lot of talent. I really hope serena is going to say something encouraging to the girl after she wins the match! :D

New
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:00 AM
I just hope Chan would not be overwhelmed... Just take a look at what nerves did for Li Na at the AusOpen 3rd round...:tape:

rrfnpump
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Serena will win
she just doesnt lose these kind of matches
and its US Open!!!

Serena like 6-3 6-2

@m@nd@
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:37 AM
i hope serena wins it in straight sets. good luck :)

Maria Croft
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Serena