PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay beats Amelie 6-4, 6-4

LoveFifteen
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Go Lindsay!!! You finally won the Pilot Pen. Now win the US Open!

cellophane
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
:zzz: What a boring match!

foreva lindsay
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Wahooooooooooo :d:d:d:d

DragonFlame
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
didn't saw much of the match, was too late :o owh well.. lindsay handled things pretty well :) go lindsay, good luck at the open! :bounce:. i want you to win if you're not facing justine! :p

cometz9
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Lindsay :woohoo: Congrats, a little more confidence going into the USO but less pressure. This will do you good.

Kworb
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Lindsay pretty much controlled the match.. 40 winners, 30 UE
Mauresmo 17 winners, 16 UE

Harju.
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Congrats Lindsay. :yeah:. A great confidence boaster before US Open.

Momo :tape:. Disappointing match. :(

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Congrats LINDSAY! :D :bounce:

hablo
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM
:yeah: congrats. Lindsay played really well today, especially in the 2nd set.... :scared:

momo, you have a lot of work to do now... good luck, I'll be cheering for you at the US Open :angel: :p

LeRoy.
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Congrats Lindsay . The US open series has been a snooze fest so far. Hopefully the US Open will be exciting.

LoveFifteen
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Congrats Lindsay . The US open series has been a snooze fest so far. Hopefully the US Open will be exciting.

I have a feeling the US Open will be very exciting and dramatic this year. Here's hoping the men's game will also be dramatic instead of a total domination by Federer ... not that I dislike Federer.

Maryamator
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:48 PM
yey lindsay!!

cellophane
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Rogers Cup had several waaaaaaaaaaay more entertaining matches (Nicole-Justine, Serena-Steph even). Hell, Ai-Mary was a hell of a lot more entertaining than this snoozefest!

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:52 PM
boring match, but that's what happens when you watch amelie mauresmo play hahaha, good job lindsay...congrats on being back to number 1:)

blumaroo
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Both players weren't at their best but the difference in level of play was blatantly obvious. Mauresmo looked like a toy for Lindsay to play with. She really needs to improve her loopy forehand and play more aggressive.

40-0
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM
congrats lindsay! Both players played bad, at least lindsay played better on the second!! good luck linds!

cellophane
boring match, but that's what happens when you watch amelie mauresmo play hahaha, good job lindsay...congrats on being back to number 1:)

Amelie v Justine was much more exciting.

Rising Sun
Lindsay :bounce:

PatM04
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Congrats Lindsay:)

Dexter
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Congratulations Lindsay for 3rd title this year :yeah:

manu32
lindsay too powerful.....mauresmo can't beat her without forehand

Infiniti2001
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8659/grabbedframe460wm.jpg

Congrats Lindsay :p

Nikki
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Congrats Lindsay:bounce:

alibaby
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8659/grabbedframe460wm.jpg

Congrats Lindsay :p
wonderful,linny-baby!! :kiss: :hearts: at least one thing is for sure now:YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT SHAPE!!now go and take,what you deserve so much!!! :bounce: :kiss: :hearts:

Linnie
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Congrats to Lindsay :)

Amélie :awww: Got a lot of work to do :smash:

stenen
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Congrats Lindsay!! Impressive play throughout the whole tournament. :worship:
Amélie :sad: Some good points and much better, aggressive play than yesterday. But when will you learn to shorten the motion of your forehand return and hit it harder and flat, particularly when returning your opponents second serve on the deuce side? :rolleyes:

Good luck to both at the USO!

tterb
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Congratulations, Lindsay. The match was a long way off the quality of their Wimbledon SF matchup, however. Lindsay's strokes went off at times in the match, but her serve and net play were impressive considering her time off. To me, it never looked like Amelie was going to seriously challenge for the match - as usual, she wasn't nearly aggressive enough. Good luck to both at the US Open. Get another Slam, Linds! :hearts:

Marshmallow
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Positives - Lindsay gets a few more points. Amelie Played MUCH MUCH better in the second set. She was going for her shots more and being more aggressive. She was handling the power better than in the first set.

Good luck to both at the USO. Amelie must play like she did in the second set from the first ball. She needs to impose HER game during matches.

K-Dog
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Lindsay is looking like a heavy favorite to get to the finals here at the US Open. Her match today was sloppy at times, but brilliant at others. Her side is very do-able for her. The only obstacle would be Mrs. Henin-Hardenne. Lindsay should beat JHH on the faster hard courts in New York though and make it to the finals where we'll have a Wimbledon rematch of the finals there.

lindsayno1
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM
WICKED!!! A title straight after an injury lay off!

Kworb
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I don't remember Clijsters or Sharapova making the Wimbledon final this year :P

flyingmachine
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Congrats Lindsay!! Impressive play throughout the whole tournament. :worship:
Amélie :sad: Some good points and much better, aggressive play than yesterday. But when will you learn to shorten the motion of your forehand return and hit it harder and flat, particularly when returning your opponents second serve on the deuce side? :rolleyes:

Good luck to both at the USO!
Amelie :sad: Also better returns from her forehand.

Larrybidd
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Routine win for Lindsay. Good stuff, while a little sloppy at times in set 1. Momo will never be a big winner on hardcourts with that extreme western grip forehand. The analysts had her correctly pegged.

P.S.: Did anybody notice what happened during the 6th game of the second set, Davenport serving? Hint: think FO 2003.

honeyke
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Congrats Davy!
the match wasn´t that interesting,but nevertheless a solid one...well done!

Shenanigans
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Well played lindsay, Amelie a wee bit disappointing but sort of expected a worse result after her marathon yesterday.
But Amelie did not look to disapointed after the match would love to know what they were joking about at the net.

Shenanigans
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Routine win for Lindsay. Good stuff, while a little sloppy at times in set 1. Momo will never be a big winner on hardcourts with that extreme western grip forehand. The analysts had her correctly pegged.

P.S.: Did anybody notice what happened during the 6th game of the second set, Davenport serving? Hint: think FO 2003.

No, nothing much happened throughout the match definetely nothing to compare it to the FO open 2003. Get a grip.

Alek
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Congratulations Lindsay :D!

Marshmallow
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:04 AM

Oh please! Anyway - i thought i heard the umpire say first serve after (= noticed..).

Lemonskin.
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM
What happened FO 03?

Justeenium
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:11 AM

most people didn't notice, because Lindsay isn't childish like Serena and didn't make a scene.

sapir1434
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
:bigcry: Amelie :bigcry:

Good luck in the US Open

Lindsay... Congratulations

*Jool*
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Lindsay , I love you more day after day !! :kiss:

Congrats , girl , you deserve it , and even more !!

Please keep making me happy with all your excellent results , for me , you are the ONLY n+1 right now, you proved you were a real talent , a real foighter , and with so much class and respect , congrats :worship:
you are an incredible champion !!!

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:34 AM
AMELIE :sad: :sad: :sad:

Maybe one day. :o

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Damn!

@m@nd@
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:52 AM
congrats lindsayy, well done :yeah:

griffin
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Congrats, Lindsay (5th time's the charm I guess ;) )

Knizzle
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Congrats Lindsay, feel bad for Amelie though, she just can't seem to get over the hump. She frustrated me alot today even though I'm not a fan. I'm racking my brain as to how she's not able to play Lindsay alot closer. She seems to have all the tools that other players who can move LD around have, but she doesn't do it.

ceiling_fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:23 AM
wwoohoo!

Mattographer
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Way to go, Lindsay! :D

WtaTour4Ever
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:15 AM
What time did this match come on...somehow i missed it.

Yaanei
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Amelie M just seems to need a mental coach? I wish for her to get at least one Grand Slam before she retires.........Even Yannick Noah has one?

Allez Amelie!

Jakeev
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Congrats Lindsay, feel bad for Amelie though, she just can't seem to get over the hump. She frustrated me alot today even though I'm not a fan. I'm racking my brain as to how she's not able to play Lindsay alot closer. She seems to have all the tools that other players who can move LD around have, but she doesn't do it.

The problem is Amelie can't handle the pure power on faster surfaces. Even if she were relentless in attacking, Lindsay still would have smacked zingers pass her all day long.

But Amelie still needed to be more agressive. If she wants to win these bigger matches, I would rather see her go out fighting then looking passive against the more bigger hitters.

joaco
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Congratulations Lindsay!! Finally another title. Way to go girl! It's time to win that Slam

Joaco

Larrybidd
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:23 AM
No, nothing much happened throughout the match definetely nothing to compare it to the FO open 2003. Get a grip.

Nothing happened because the player who raised her hand acted appropriately, as any player who repects her opponent and the game would. That was my only point. What exactly did I need to get a grip upon?

Larrybidd
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Oh please! Anyway - i thought i heard the umpire say first serve after (= noticed..).

After Lindsay dumped the serve into the net, Momo raised her hand again indicating to the umpire that she had held up play during Lindsay's serve. Then the umpire called for 1st serve. This is normal and correct behavior and merits no special notice, until it doesn't happen that way. Some folks had argued otherwise. I was merely pointing it out to those very few folks. At least I assume its very few.

Larrybidd
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:47 AM

I think for once the analysis was spot on. Her extreme western grip forehand makes it hard for her to deal with heavy hitting players on hard courts. She needs a flatter forehand to compete on a level footing with the heavy hitters. It telling that Momo (former #1 Momo) has NEVER won a hardcourt tourney!

It may be her head that keeps her from having a chance at the French, but clearly there are technical reasons for her failing on hardcourts.

sweet_angel23
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Well done Lindsay!! :) :bounce:
try again next time Amelie :D

souam
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Amelie M just seems to need a mental coach? I wish for her to get at least one Grand Slam before she retires.........Even Yannick Noah has one?

Allez Amelie!

Yannick Noah :worship: was a fantastic player who could have been number one if he wasn't such a party guy, far from being a hard-worker and didn't play in the same era as Wilander, Lendl, Borg and co... :rolleyes:
I hope Amélie will win a Slam before she retires too.
Get to work Amélie! :( And rest, train etc... :cool:
WD Davanport! ;)

Jenny.C.Fan
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Wasn't a great match, Bad luck ame, she had a few chances in this match. Good luck for the open to both players.

Linnie
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:41 PM
It telling that Momo (former #1 Momo) has NEVER won a hardcourt tourney!
Dubai - 2002
Montreal - 2002
Montreal - 2004
Then we could count Antwerp, Philly (2), Linz, Paris and Nice, all indoor hardcourt tourneys.

:)

jj74
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Thank you Lindsay, with your victory i have a few dollars to bet in the US Open

Meesh
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM
What time did this match come on...somehow i missed it.

It was on at 1pm East on CBS not ESPN

Congrats Lindsay! Good luck at the USO

MinnyGophers
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:02 PM
i wished amelie would have played with the aggressivity she showed at wimbledon against lindsay. but it is true that in faster surfaces, she is still disadvantaged against the power players.
6-4, 6-4 is still pretty close, but i didnt see the match so..

améliemomo
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM
amélie had a very hard match one day ago and played many more matches than lindsay but congrats to lindsay, its very difficult to beat her.Good luck for both.

Lapin
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM
It telling that Momo (former #1 Momo) has NEVER won a hardcourt tourney!

Dubai - 2002
Montreal - 2002
Montreal - 2004
Then we could count Antwerp, Philly (2), Linz, Paris and Nice, all indoor hardcourt tourneys.

:yeah:

And Adidas International (Sydney), (2000, I think)!! :p ;)

hablo
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I think for once the analysis was spot on. Her extreme western grip forehand makes it hard for her to deal with heavy hitting players on hard courts. She needs a flatter forehand to compete on a level footing with the heavy hitters. It telling that Momo (former #1 Momo) has NEVER won a hardcourt tourney!

It may be her head that keeps her from having a chance at the French, but clearly there are technical reasons for her failing on hardcourts.

:rolleyes::scratch:

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Well done Linds. :yeah:

jcaprulez
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:20 AM
go lindsay

Larrybidd
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Dubai - 2002
Montreal - 2002
Montreal - 2004

That's what I get for repeating a Patrick McEnroe stat (a producer somewhere should be fired, or Mac should stick to commenting on the men). Indoor tennis can'r be counted as hardcourts though. The difference is there is no need to worry about wind, Wind makes it tougher on a player with the extreme grip's timing, as well as the speed of surface.

Linnie
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:48 AM
That's what I get for repeating a Patrick McEnroe stat (a producer somewhere should be fired, or Mac should stick to commenting on the men). Indoor tennis can'r be counted as hardcourts though. The difference is there is no need to worry about wind, Wind makes it tougher on a player with the extreme grip's timing, as well as the speed of surface.
:wavey:

:rolleyes:@PatMac. I heard that, too, and it was like WTF? ;)

griffin
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM
:wavey:

:rolleyes:@PatMac. I heard that, too, and it was like WTF? ;)

I'm still WTF? at you forgetting Sydney - where she not only knocked of Higis and Lindsay (who were what? #1 and #2 at the time), she somehow managed to breathe in those shorts :eek:

;)

It hurts me to say this, but I'd rather listen to John that Pat Mc. John's an arrogant, pompous bastard, but at least he doesn't pull bogus stats out of his ass.

Linnie
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I'm still WTF? at you forgetting Sydney - where she not only knocked of Higis and Lindsay (who were what? #1 and #2 at the time), she somehow managed to breathe in those shorts :eek:

;)
I believe Lapin so astutely pointed that out ^ ;)