PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Ashe Kid's Day (Andy, Serena, Lindsay, AnnaK, and musicians)

AjdeNate!
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Check out Chart Toppers Chart Toppers Jesse McCartney, Rihanna, and The Click Five Team with Andy Roddick, Serena Williams, Anna Kournikova, and Lindsay Davenport for Arthur Ashe Kids' Day to Kick Off 2005 US Open. MTV VJ Quddus and TV Star Summer Sanders Host Star-Studded Music and Tennis Spectacular Saturday, August 27 in Flushing, NY. Tickets are on sale now through ticketmaster, usopen.org and at the USTA National Tennis Center Box Office.

azmad_88
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Kim Clijsters said she will be there too

Meesh
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Will this be televised in the US? Anyone know. Thanks for the info!

lienie18
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Will this be televised in the US? Anyone know. Thanks for the info!

Yes, sunday on CBS.
Tape it for your fellow non-american tennis fans :angel: :devil: :hearts:

Meesh
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I'm still using VHS. :tape: One of these days I'll upgrade and be able to upload stuff to you guys... but for now I can send VHS tapes via snail mail :lol:

lienie18
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm still using VHS. :tape: One of these days I'll upgrade and be able to upload stuff to you guys... but for now I can send VHS tapes via snail mail :lol:

Too bad..hurry up with the upgrade ;) :p
Anyway enjoy it :)

goldenlox
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/images/misc/img_376_98.gif

Exhibition Matches By Tennis Stars:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/images/misc/AAKD-graphic2.jpg
Anna Kournikova, Serena Williams & Andy Roddick

Sinnet
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I want to see Kournikova and Williams play -- so we can all be reminded of why Anna is no longer playing. :lol:

goldenlox
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Anna is no longer playing because there's a lot of pain involved.
Anyone watching tennis this summer can see that.
All the players are in agony.

Sinnet
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Anna is no longer playing because there's a lot of pain involved.
Anyone watching tennis this summer can see that.
All the players are in agony.

A lot of pain involved? :lol:

The girl is healthy now, just not up to par with the big babes to ever be able to come back. We know she quit SOMEWHAT due to injury problems, but it's her hollywood lifestyle that's keeping her away now, not her health.

goldenlox
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM
It's not Serena that kept her away, those 2 are friends.
It's the masochistic lifestyle all the players endure.
That's why Kim wants to quit.

Sinnet
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:59 PM
It's not Serena that kept her away, those 2 are friends.
It's the masochistic lifestyle all the players endure.
That's why Kim wants to quit.

Never said it was SERENA that kept her away, or any other player. It's the fact that she decided she enjoyed hollywood life more than tennis. I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just stating facts. :P

goldenlox
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM
A match made in Flushing

Tennis greats and pop stars will take to the court for
games and music at the U.S. Open's Arthur Ashe Kids' Day

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/editors/header_todolist.jpg

By BREANNE L. HELDMAN
DAILY NEWS FEATURE WRITER

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/218-agassi.JPGAndre Agassi will be back to greet fans at Arthur Ashe Kids' Day. Game. Set. Music!

The U.S. Open kicks off today with Arthur Ashe Kids' Day at the U.S. Tennis Association's National Tennis Center in Flushing. Stars on the court and off will gather for this family-centric day featuring tennis instruction and live music.

From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., youngsters can learn from the pros in clinics throughout the grounds. Champs including John McEnroe and James Blake will be stationed on the outer courts to give kids - first-timers and seasoned players - pointers, a chance to return a serve and, of course, an autograph.

At 2 p.m. in Arthur Ashe Stadium, Quddus (an MTV veejay) and Olympic swimmer Summer Sanders will host performances by singer-songwriter Jesse McCartney, dance songstress Rihanna and pop-rock group the Click Five.

ALL-STAR AFTERNOON

Between musical sets, aces Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi, Serena Williams, Roger Federer, Anna Kournikova, Martina Navratilova and others will take to the court for skill competitions, vying for money prizes for their respective charities.

Arthur Ashe was the first African-American male to join the tennis world's superstars. He won Wimbledon in 1971 and became the top-ranked player in the world, going on to found numerous charitable organizations. He died of AIDS in 1993.

"Arthur Ashe Kids' Day was developed in 1997 to honor the legacy of Arthur Ashe," says Pierce O'Neil, chief business officer of the USTA and one of the event's creators. "The idea is to bring the top names in tennis together with top names in pop music for a great day of fun to set the stage for two weeks of U.S. Open excitement."

Veenut
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I find it very odd that this week's #1 wta player is not mentioned. I thought promoting the sport to kids came with the position. :unsure:

AjdeNate!
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I find it very odd that this week's #1 wta player is not mentioned. I thought promoting the sport to kids came with the position. :unsure:
Well the "new" #1 will be there :p

goldenlox
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Well the "new" #1 will be there :pNo she won't. She's playing now in New Haven.

goldenlox
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Ashe's stamp of approval

http://www.mercurynews.com/images/common/spacer.gif
As part of Arthur Ashe Kids Day today in New York, in advance of the U.S. Open at the stadium named for Ashe, the post office will unveil a postage stamp in his honor.

The 37-cent stamp will be available nationwide Monday. Ashe, through his fame as a tennis player, established foundations to help disenfranchised youth and to support the fight against AIDS, which he contracted from a blood transfusion during heart surgery. He died in 1994.

Ashe was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1985 and selected by Sports Illustrated as ``Sportsman of the Year'' in 1992.