PDA

View Full Version : 'We Belong Together', the longest running #1 of this decade

tennisIlove09
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
'We Belong Together', the longest running #1 of this decade

http://www.themariahnetwork.com/news/billboard-news.gif

Mariah continues to break records and achieve new milestones this week on the Billboard charts. The biggest news is that "We Belong Together" has now spent 13 weeks at #1, more than any other song in this decade so far. Of course you recall that Mariah owned the longest running #1 of the last decade as well, a record she shared with Boyz II Men. Only eight songs in the rock era have spent this long at #1 and Mariah is one of two acts to own two titles in this elite club (the other being Boyz II Men). "We Belong Together" has spent this many weeks at #1 due predominantly to record-breaking airplay. It is now in its 15th week atop Hot 100 Airplay and therefore puts in an even more elite club of only three songs. As you recall last week the only other songs to spend this long at #1 on the airplay chart are Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" (18 weeks) and No Doubt's "Don't Speak" (16 weeks). But we're still not done. Over on the R&B chart "We Belong Together" enters its 14th week at #1 tying the record for the longest running #1. Mariah now shares this record with Deborah Cox's "Nobody's Supposed To Be Here". And finally "We Belong Together" finally enters the top ten at Adult Contemporary, her first since "I Still Believe" six years ago.

As if all of that isn't enough there is "Shake It Off" which seems to be in a race to get to the #1 slot on the Hot 100. Once again the new MIMI single earns greatest gainer/airplay honors and moves to #4 on the Hot 100. On both the R&B chart and the Top 40 Rhythmic chart it soars to #3 and on the ever-so-important Hot Digital Songs list it moves to #15.

But wait ... there's more! THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI hops over the 3 million mark this week making it Mariah's best selling album in seven years. This week it sits bulleted at #3 on the Billboard 200. All of this Mariah mania has motivated some people to revisit Mariah's incredible career via her GREATEST HITS album. This week it moves up to its peak of #13 on the R&B Catalog Album chart.

Mariah's dominance on the Hot 100 forces the Pussycat Dolls' "Don't Cha" to spend a third week at #2. Though they have to play runner-up to Mariah's "We Belong Together" yet again they are now within striking distance of the #1 spot. The gap between the two songs is the smallest it has been in these three weeks. The Dolls continue to decrease in digital sales but they regained their bullet on Hot 100 Airplay and continue to post increases (albeit small this week) with their physical singles sales. If The Pussycat Dolls don't hurry up and make their bid for the #1 spot they will likely be forced to give way to "Shake It Off". At the other end of the top ten Bow Wow's latest single enters the top ten giving featured act Ciara her fifth top ten hit in less than a year and Jermaine Dupri four simultaneous entries in the top ten.

On the Billboard 200 Hilary Duff debuts at #1 with MOST WANTED, a greatest hits set (if you can believe that). At the bottom of the chart Josh Groban's CLOSER seems to be on its last legs. It is currently at #196 in its 92nd week meaning it has spent more weeks on the chart than any album currently charting.

tennisIlove09
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:14 AM
:worship: :worship: GO MARIAH! I am beyond in lovewith her :drool:

volta
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:20 AM
it's not like she had to face really really hard competition. she simply had no competition she didn't have to face big names so ;) but it still is a great thing to do :yeah:

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM
It only reached #20 on my ipod, now sits around #30

ceiling_fan
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Mariah is going to kill her own #1!!!!!!!! with shake it off!!!!!!

but I mean if it does go for a few more weeks it could beat the all time :D

CooCooCachoo
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM
:help:

;)

@m@nd@
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
i like this song, but i dont find it like its one of the best songs ever

James
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Good for her she's breaking records, would be a nice change from her breaking my glassware with her singing. ;)

skanky~skanketta
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
mariah!:inlove: :hearts:

ampers&
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Mariah:worship:
Those are some VERY impressive stats.

Josh B.
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:26 AM
noooo, atleast i havent heard it all yet, my telly shakes when i comes on so i turn it over :p

but well done to her

rightous
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Good to see her back after she was written off

aNYthing
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:27 PM
We belong together is hot. :hearts:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
*loves it*

Now, Shake It Off has to blow this Pussycat shite into oblivion :p

Wait till Say Something comes out :cool: Winter anthem anyone? :lol:

Zhao
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Your chart looks like it's even worse than ours :o

how can that be??
at least it was not dominated by frogs or gorillas :haha:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM
how can that be??
at least it was not dominated by frogs or gorillas :haha:

And James Blunt, Tony Christie :o

GoDominique
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Whatever.

rightous
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:19 PM
whatever is whatever

SelesFan70
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:51 PM
They play Mariah's song literally every hour here on the local top 40 station. No kidding...every hour! I like the song, but good GAWD! :tape: But this is an amazing feat for Mariah...eventhough the PussyCat Dolls' song is less than spectacular. :rolleyes:

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:58 PM
she's #106 in my song ranking :yeah:

jrm
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Mariah Carey = breaking World records

i am suprised ... i certainly didn't expect this before the release of the album

tommyk75
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM
It's ironic. People seem to love watching divas fall apart and fail. And then people love to see them come back strong. That's the case with Mariah, and I hope that will happen to Whitney, although that awful reality show with Bobby did not help at all (If only Whitney could get that amazing voice back...). As for Madonna, she's already gone through that cycle once (she was persona non grata after "Erotica" and her "Sex Book" and wasn't accepted all the way back until her great "Ray of Light" album). I'm hoping and I'm betting that after her disastrous "American Life" CD, she's going to make a huge comeback with her upcoming "Confessions on the Dance Floor." She's said it's going to be all dance and no messages, the very formula for a killer Madonna CD. Can't wait.

Cariaoke
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:50 PM
She shakes them haters off. :hearts:

BigB08822
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM
"Shake It Off" will have to stand up to Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You" which is currently gaining about 300+ more spins than Mariah. It will be a battle again between these two. I think Kelly wins this one.

Hardiansf
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Mariah :bounce: :hearts: :kiss: :worship:
Always believe in you. Just shake 'everybody who thinks she's off' off :lol:

Hachiko
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I can't stand this woman, sorry.

Zhao
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM
"Shake It Off" will have to stand up to Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You" which is currently gaining about 300+ more spins than Mariah. It will be a battle again between these two. I think Kelly wins this one.

i believe that's the pop format right??
its like up by 1000+ spins in Mediabase :eek: :eek:
but kelly must find a way to gain support from R&B and Urban or else its hard :angel:

Brαm
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Mariah is the American equivalent of the crazy frog who's dominating our charts :o

"Crazy frog" was no.1 for 12 consecutive weeks before "You're beautiful" took over the top spot :tape:

alfonsojose
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:01 PM
a big evidence of the shitty state of today's music :rolleyes:

Monica_Rules
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Her new stuff is just awful. How is it popular at all. All her new songs have no melodies of any kind and are just mindless crap r'n'b which is mid tempo and meaningless.

Bring back the days of Musicbox and Daydream. Now that was Mariah at her best.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:49 AM
i believe that's the pop format right??
its like up by 1000+ spins in Mediabase :eek: :eek:
but kelly must find a way to gain support from R&B and Urban or else its hard :angel:

I was just about to say that. Because Mariah can get huge airplay on Pop, Rhythmic, and Urban. Whereas Kelly only gets play on pop stations.

thelittlestelf
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:52 AM
It's an okay song (extremely catchy), but in this decade i can think of hundreds that were better...

ceiling_fan
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:14 AM
a big evidence of the shitty state of today's music :rolleyes:

huh its a great song!

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I can't stand this woman, sorry.

I agree. :o Mariah is sooo :tape:

They have horrible charts. :tape: :tape: :lol:

Jakeev
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:34 AM
i like this song, but i dont find it like its one of the best songs ever

Perhaps not but it's defintely the best Mariah song I have heard in a long time.

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:58 AM
cheer for that song :worship: :worship:

Maria Croft
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Go Mariah :yeah:

get those records !!

Justin
Sep 1st, 2005, 02:52 AM
And so it continues...

Wednesday, August 31 , 2005

Hot 100 Results: "We Belong Together" At #1, "Shake It Off" At #2! // 6:57 PM EST Updated by Liron (liron@mariahdaily.com)

The Billboard Hot 100 results are in: as previously estimated, Mariah claims the #1 and #2 spots on the Hot 100 and the Hot 100 Airplay with "We Belong Together" and "Shake It Off" respectively.

This week marks "We Belong Together's" 14th non-consecutive week at #1 on the Hot 100! Here are the longest running #1 singles on the Hot 100:

16 Weeks
Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men - "One Sweet Day" (1996)

14 Weeks
Whitney Houston - "I Will Always Love You" (1992)
Boyz II Men - "I'll Make Love To You" (1994)
Los Del Rio - "Macarena" (1996)
Elton John - "Candle In The Wind" (1997)
Mariah Carey - "We Belong Together" (2005)

Julian
Sep 1st, 2005, 03:04 AM
Her new stuff is just awful. How is it popular at all. All her new songs have no melodies of any kind and are just mindless crap r'n'b which is mid tempo and meaningless.

Bring back the days of Musicbox and Daydream. Now that was Mariah at her best.

I agree. If Mariah sang those songs at this time she would be breaking records

But "We Belong Together" is actually a great song at this day and age ;) defnitely deserves to be up there

tennisIlove09
Sep 1st, 2005, 03:06 AM
She's so amazing. I love her. Keep shooting downt eh haters!~