PDA

View Full Version : U.S Open: Some Pre-match pickings:

V.Melb
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Lindsay Davenport def. Na Li 6-3 6-2
I think this will be a rather entertaining encounter.... or an absolute routing to Lindsay 6-1 6-1. Na Li is in bad shape physically. I think Na Li may come out and hit some nice shots and give Lindsay somewhat of a match but If Na comes out inured, Lindsay will destroy her, hardly dropping games.
Also, Na Li really freezes up in front of big crowds, so Lindsay has no reason to lose this match - even though Na Li is highly regarded... her powerful shots are only going to come back even harder from Lindsay.

Samantha Stosur def. Tian Tian Sun 4-6 6-3 6-2
Based on the fact that TianTian Sun has won three qualies matches, her last match 6-1 6-2 i would pick Sun, but i think Sam will manage to serve well and find her range throughout the match, we have seen how deadly Stosur can be on hard courts with her big shots.

Conchita Martinez def. Patty Schyner 7-5 6-3
Plenty of long rallies in the first set, Patty will be a head case in this match and lose her strokes eventually... i think Conchita will throw a lot of strange shots to irritate an already irritable Patty, Patty will somewhat tank the end of the second set in frustration.

Mary Pierce def. Mara Santangelo 7-6 6-3
Mary will be hitting and missing... but powerfull enough. Mara's good serve and heavy flat strokes will also give her a fair share of nice winners and forced errors off Mary, but otherwise Mary will be too much with her shot making ability.

Alexa Glatch def. Yuliana Fedak 4-6 6-3 6-1
I have seen Fedak and she doesn't impress me - she fights very hard but is too small and hits topspin with a flat eastern grip, very strange, also weak serve that always drops short. Apparently, Glatch isn't the most aggressive or powerfull player either... but invariably, she has more talent then Fedak and will overcome some nerves to pull through easy.

Venus Williams def. Rika Fujiwara 6-3 6-3
Will be a very entertaining match. Of course, Venus is too good. But everyone will see what Rika Fujiwara is all about - Flashy aggressive shots, court speed and fighting spirit. Venus will come out in straight sets, but she will sweat a little against her tiny opponent.

Ashley Harkleroad def. Fabiola Zuluaga 7-5 2-6 6-2
Fabiola is a class above, but she hasn't had good preperation coming into this tournament. Harkleroad has had come challenger success and is very feisty. Zuluaga will lose stamina by the third set, and probably some motivation... Ashley is hungrier.

Serena Williams def. Yung Jan Chan 6-3 6-4
Yes, surprisingly close. I don't think Chan we will as nervous as well all predict. Serena will be too good against the youngster though and come through... but she will be tested by an opponent who is equally as quick and more consistent. Some big power shots will help Serena pull through.

Maria Sharapova def. Eleni Danillidou 6-1 6-4
Sharapova wil smother her opponent. Eleni will make a fight of the second set but for every nice heavy shot eleni hits, maria will track it down. Maria will overwhelm Eleni quicker then expected for the fans imo. Eleni will have to hit good shots early in the point, because she isn't fast enough in the hardcourts. If Eleni gets some slicing and net action going, she may be in with a chance for the 2nd set...but maria ususally doesn't let up.

Laura Granville def. Silvia Farina Elia 4-6 6-2 6-3
Granville is a highly underrated player. She has all the shots. Silvia isn't in great form..there will be lots of long points... but Granville has so much intensity, she will be hungry for this match and find a way to win.

Anne Kremer def. Lisa Raymond 6-2 2-6 7-5
Kremer hits flat clean shots, very effective on a hardcourt. Kremer won't get nervous, she has been on the tour long enough, she will come out on the court all business. Raymond will do the same. Lots of passing shots and backhand winners from Kremer. Raymond will mix it up... this will be an entertaining match i think - lots of cat and mouse, Raymond constantly looking for openings for net play, Anne always seizing short balls to attack raymonds backhand.

Golovin def. Ruano Pascual 7-5 6-2
Golovin can do more with the ball. Ruano will scamper for many shots, but will evetually feel the brunt of Golovin's heavier shots - especially off the backhand Ruano will tire from defending. This match will have some of the longest rallies out of all the matches i feel. Ruano may be in with a chance for the first set, but otherwise Golovin has the ability to hit the lines... she should win in 2... If this match goes to a third set - i think the third set will be extremely tough - so Golovin better try and win in straights.

----------------------Agree with my picks? - I hope i am close. ;) - But in Wimby practically every match i picked was wrong!

Chunchun
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I am not agree with Sun losing, Tiantian is able to beat Stosur easily ;)

Experimentee
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I think Sun will win too. Sam hasnt really done much out of Australia.

andrewC
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Tian Tian will win, i think. i'll even put vcash on it :lol:
go Sun :D

Haute
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Unless Maria's pectoral muscles have magically healed to 100% in one week, her match with Eleni is going to be a lot closer than that.