PDA

View Full Version : USO Qualies: The New Upcoming Wonder Players

Cris Senior
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM
It was actually a rather bland draw this year dominated by the usual bunch of old players trying to come back (Ruano Pascual, Kuti Kis, Kleinnova, Panova, etc) and the new ones off the juniors.
Among the latter there two truly outstanding players :Fifteen year old from Taipei, Yun Jan Chan who crushed her three opponents. She has amzing srokes, passing shots and sense of court. Ranked 216 presently, she'll be top 100's soon/ She also showed a very tough mental attitude. But the story might end up here unfortunately:she drew Serena as her first round opponent!
What a bad luck!
2-Victoriya Kutuzuva from Russia. Amazing player ! She combines excellent strategy with powerful shots. A Marina Hingis with power.Mentally touigh as a nail. Unfortunately she has to face another rising Russian star Ana Chakvedtaze in the very first round, who happens to be very hot right now.
Among the "comebackers". Maria Emilia Salerni, excelled by far among the others. She had an unbelievably tight match with Lilia Osterloh that she won in two consecutive tie-breakers filled with passing shots, aces at the rigjht moment and even a couple of dramatic, out of nowhere drop shots. She seems ready to return to the top 100's where she belongs.
The Uberoi sisters were disappointing and their future in tennis as top players look very doubtful.
Ashley Harkleroad received a WC to the MD, but not her husband Alex Bogomolov who qualified winning three nail biters, where Ashley performed good wife duties cheerleading him all the time. Nice wifey. Lucky guy. However, she is a little wary about having to face high caliber Fabiola Zuluaga in the very first round. But Fabiola seems very distracted these days after getting married just a few months ago, So theer's a chance but I don't know about her next opponent :some unknown Belgian called Clijsters.
Cris Senior

CooCooCachoo
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Viktoriya Kutuzova (watch the spelling) is from the Ukraine, not from Russia. Such mistakes take away credibility from the rest of your post, even if what you state is correct most of the times (except from the spelling of Eastern European names :o).

You did leave out Su-Wei Hsieh, which I find really weird, cause her comeback is far more remarkable than Salerni's.

Piotr'ek
Aug 27th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Ashley Harkleroad received a WC to the MD, but not her husband so why at wimbledon they were saying miss Harkleroad?

Experimentee
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:51 PM
At WImby they call everyone Miss if they havent changed their name :rolleyes:

Hsieh is a good comeback player, but still pretty young at 19.

tommyk75
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Wait, I'm not so sure about that. I remember after Chris Evert married Andy Mill, she didn't change her name, so the Wimbledon umpires ended up calling her "Mrs. Evert." Bud Collins pointed it out, and it was both funny and odd.

clonesheep
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM

In a recent interview Ashley said she has officially changed her name to Harkleroad-Bogomolov and submitted the name change to WTA. However she said she may continue using the old "Harkleroad" in competition because the new name would be too long for the score board. :)

Babolatpro880
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:47 PM
No. How about Mrs. Davenport?

Dexter
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Watch out for the players from Taiwan... Chan and Hsieh :angel:

Infiniti2001
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:38 PM
The Uberoi sisters were disappointing and their future in tennis as top players look very doubtful.

Ahhh Shucks!! I thought Shikha would have at least made it :(

Crazy Canuck
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:53 PM
This was not a spelling mistake but a typo, you self-righteous prick. Only a super-moron would solemnly declare that typos "take away crdebility from the rest' Go and join the Vatican where you belong.
You so much think you are the Pope that without showing proof or cause tell us "ex-cathedra" :Sieh's come back (look I don't know how to spell!, make fun of it, take advantage!) is FAR MORE remarkable than Salerni's"
You are an insuferable sanctimoneous asshole.Stay away!!!!
Cris Senior
LOL

That just saved me a lot of lines.

Tripp
Aug 27th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Hey :wavey: Nice report. So, did Salerni actually play without an unbelievable amount of unforced errors? If so, then she's definitely ready to come back to the top 100. She's an amazing player when she's on.

JenFan75
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
This was not a spelling mistake but a typo, you self-righteous prick. Only a super-moron would solemnly declare that typos "take away crdebility from the rest' Go and join the Vatican where you belong.
You so much think you are the Pope that without showing proof or cause tell us "ex-cathedra" :Sieh's come back (look I don't know how to spell!, make fun of it, take advantage!) is FAR MORE remarkable than Salerni's"
Cris Senior

:lol: God Cris, don't flip out :p

Pureracket
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Cris SeniorOMGoodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stop laughing!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Babolatpro880
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Cris Senior
Staring in June, Su-Wei Hsieh won four $25K challengers in a row, including one in which she had to qualify, before losing in the quarters of $25K Vancouver to Ansley Cargill, ending her winning streak at 24. Her ranking at the beginning of the year was 426, and she dropped as low as 529 before going on her run, which has now gotten her up to 204, and she will enter the top 200 after qualifying at the Open.

Her singles record is 31-6 after winning her three qualifying rounds, including 27-1 in her last five events. What has Salerni done that is impressive?

CooCooCachoo
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Cris Senior

How can you type "Russia" and proclaim this to be a typo, because you clearly meant "Ukraine" instead? And later, when you said "Fellow Russian", you just made another typo? :silly:

I think you are overacting here. I wasn't making fun of your spelling at all and the point I was making was solely that getting a pretty well-known player's nationality completely wrong could make you lose credibility. It did, for me anyway.

Joseosu19
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Staring in June, Su-Wei Hsieh won four $25K challengers in a row, including one in which she had to qualify, before losing in the quarters of $25K Vancouver to Ansley Cargill, ending her winning streak at 24. Her ranking at the beginning of the year was 426, and she dropped as low as 529 before going on her run, which has now gotten her up to 204, and she will enter the top 200 after qualifying at the Open.

Her singles record is 31-6 after winning her three qualifying rounds, including 27-1 in her last five events. What has Salerni done that is impressive?

That basically shows that Su-Wei Hsieh was back before the US Open, and was quite on her way to re-establishing herself.

CooCooCachoo
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:50 PM
That basically shows that Su-Wei Hsieh was back before the US Open, and was quite on her way to re-establishing herself.

The players she beat in the US Open qualifying were of a higher level than the players she beat in the $25Ks, plus the US Open qualies are just part of her comeback, which is altogether extremely impressive and praiseworthy.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
How can you type "Russia" and proclaim this to be a typo, because you clearly meant "Ukraine" instead? And later, when you said "Fellow Russian", you just made another typo? :silly:

I think you are overacting here. I wasn't making fun of your spelling at all and the point I was making was solely that getting a pretty well-known player's nationality completely wrong could make you lose credibility. It did, for me anyway.

Ask Vika, and she says herself she's Russian
thats why in reports they call her as Russian

CooCooCachoo
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Ask Vika, and she says herself she's Russian
thats why in reports they call her as Russian

:shrug:

Then why does she play for the Ukraine? :scratch:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM

cos she was born there.
but she has never played Fed Cup or played for them in any National Team comp in juniors either.

cellophane
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Because she is a Russian Ukrainian? ;)

CooCooCachoo
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
cos she was born there.
but she has never played Fed Cup or played for them in any National Team comp in juniors either.

Then why doesn't she move to Russia :p

New
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Guys guys... let's us not divert from the main topic... and continue to discuss how well the qualifiers have done!!

Go Qualies!!!:hearts: :kiss: :bounce: :worship: (is that term correct? :p )

cellophane
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM

She wants to confuse you. :p

rrfnpump
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM

she would be one out of many in Russia
she could become very popular in Ukraine
I dont understand why she says she is Russian. Has that some reasons? I mean, I also dont say I am Austrian :lol:

rrfnpump
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I think Chan was most impressive in qualifying
really crushing her three opponents
Hsieh had to save a match point against Hana Sromova. She was not that impressive, but she is definitely on her way to Top100. I really doubt if she can beat Srebotnik
Sybille Bammer was also quite impressive with good wins over dangerous chinese Li Ting and Yan Zi. However, I think Sucha will be too tough for her
Tiffany Dabek fought her way through qualifying, which is also honorable.
Vika Kutuzova is really good. How good she is we will see in her match against Chakvetadze.
Cant say much about Vania King :shrug:

Cris Senior
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Comment: I was obviously referring about the typo on "Kutuzova", not on Russia as anyone with half brain would notice immediately.The difference in nationality between Rusians and Ukranians is like the difference between Germans and Austrians . Most of them considered themselves the same thing.
As for Hsieh vs Salerni , I said that Salerni is the most remarkable comeback case because she was once ranked as a top 100 player and then, due to injuries dropped all the way down to 180, while Hsieh highest rank has been 130. Also Salerni was once No 1 Junior in the world. But you are the Pope , you decide that Hsieh is a more remarkable comeback case. Arrogant dimwit!
Finally, I couldn't care less about having credibility with an pompous moron like you. As I said , stay away!!!Go and go Cochoochoo somewhere else,_, choochoo___
Cris Senior

*roddicksinme*
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Comment: I was obviously referring about the typo on "Kutuzova", not on Russia as anyone with half brain would notice immediately.The difference in nationality between Rusian and Ukranian is like difference between Germans and Austrians . Mot of them considered themselves the same thing.
As for Hsieh vs Salerni , I said that Salerni is the most remarkable comeback case because she was once ranked as a top 100 player while Hsieh highest rank is 130. Also Salerni was once No 1 Junior in the world. But you are the Pope , you decide that Hsieh is a more remarkable comeback case. Arrogant dimwit!
Finally, I couldn't care less about having credibility with an pompous moron like you. As I said , stay away!!!Go and go Cochoochoo somewhere else____
Cris Senior:haha::haha::haha::haha:

Experimentee
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Comment: I was obviously referring about the typo on "Kutuzova", not on Russia as anyone with half brain would notice immediately.The difference in nationality between Rusians and Ukranians is like the difference between Germans and Austrians . Most of them considered themselves the same thing.
As for Hsieh vs Salerni , I said that Salerni is the most remarkable comeback case because she was once ranked as a top 100 player and then, due to injuries dropped all the way down to 180, while Hsieh highest rank has been 130. Also Salerni was once No 1 Junior in the world. But you are the Pope , you decide that Hsieh is a more remarkable comeback case. Arrogant dimwit!
Finally, I couldn't care less about having credibility with an pompous moron like you. As I said , stay away!!!Go and go Cochoochoo somewhere else,_, choochoo___
Cris Senior

Hsieh was ranked 130 and rising, then she dropped to the 600's, then came back to the top 200 again. Thats better than Salerni's comeback as she had to raise her ranking by more places.