PDA

View Full Version : Davenport regains No. 1, will face Mauresmo in Pilot Pen final

lindsayno1
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:09 AM
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Lindsay Davenport reclaimed the top spot in women's tennis Friday night, beating Russia's Anna Chakvetadze 6-3, 6-3 to advance to the final of the Pilot Pen against France's Amelie Mauresmo.

The win guarantees that Davenport will regain the No. 1 spot when the new rankings come out Monday. She had lost the top spot this week to Maria Sharapova.

``If I win the U.S. Open, I'll most likely stay there. So I'll just concentrate on that,'' Davenport said.

Mauresmo and Davenport, who will face off in Saturday's final, last met in the semifinals at Wimbledon. Davenport won that match and holds a 9-3 lifetime advantage over Mauresmo.

After losing to Venus Williams in the Wimbledon final, Davenport sat out nearly two months with a back injury, costing her the top ranking.

Davenport and Mauresmo took different paths through the semifinals. Davenport cruised past Chakvetadze in about an hour, while Mauresmo won a three-hour marathon against Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues, winning 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2.

Mauresmo immediately said she wanted a chance to face Davenport.

``Before a grand slam, you always want to compare yourself with the other best players,'' Mauresmo said.

Both players are using the Pilot Pen as a tuneup for next week's U.S. Open. This is the first full tournament for Davenport since Wimbledon. Mauresmo has played only one other.

Though she appeared rusty at times this week, Davenport said her back hasn't bothered her at all. After 14 double faults in her first two matches, she finished with five aces and just two double faults Friday, showing the first sign that her dominating serve was returning.

``I felt like I had a much better tempo to my serve,'' Davenport said.

Mauresmo said she wasn't as aggressive as she wanted to be against unseeded Medina Garrigues.

But after losing the first set, she battled in the second, forcing long rallies as both players struggled to gain an edge. Mauresmo couldn't capitalize on 10 of 11 break points in the set and Medina capitalized on one of five.

RussiansFan
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Although I'm a great fan of Masha, I have to congratulate Lindsay for having been able to winning her matches after having been injured for one month and for aving regained the #1 rank...
This seems to be a good final, however, if Momo is able to play well!

Elldee
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM
There's a great little post match interview [audio] on this page: http://www.pilotpentennis.com/audio/index.shtml