PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fluent in English and French?

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Ok, I'm at work, and they asked to translate a very official letter into English, but
1. I'm not used to doing that.
2. I have absolutely no dictionary here.
3. I would like to do a good job.

I'm giving a first try at the moment, butAny help would be much appreciated a(although I can't promise more than good reps).

Sorry for the inconvenience
With all my due respects blablabla.
Merci :kiss:

Cher Monsieur,
Lauréat dans la catégorie Meilleure Action de Mécénat des premiers Art Awards, nous sommes heureux de vous envoyer le catalogue de la seconde exposition d'art contemporain actuellement dans nos murs.

Notre exposition, L'Idiotie, conçue par JYV, a donné lieu à l'édition d'un catalogue intitulé De l'Iidotie aux Burlesques contemporains. Forts de notre première expérience, nous nous sommes faits, à l'occasion de cet événement, partenaire du Jeu de Paume qui présente dans un même moment l'exposition éponyme conçue part CK.

C'est avec grand plaisir que nous vous accueillerons pour une visité privée de l'expoistion, qui se termine le 3 novembre 2005.

En vous remerciant de l'intérêt que vous portez à notre implication dans l'art contemporain et avec le plaisir de vous recevoir en Champagne.

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:06 AM
My first draft:

Dear Sir,

Winner of the Best Patronage Action category at the first Art Awards, we are pleased to send you our catalogue concerning the second art exhibit, taking place at our Estate.

Our exhibit “L’Idiotie” conceived by JYJ, …. to the printing of a catalogue titled “De l’Idiotie aux Burlesques contemporains”. Encouraged by our first experience, we became, for this occasion, partners of the “Musée du Jeu de Paume” in which takes place...

We would gladly welcome you for a private tour of the exhibit, which will close on November 3rd 2005

We thank you for the interest you take in our implication into contemporary art, and wait for

Sincerely yours,

Thanks for not laughing (or I may pound on you a little). I'm not fully awaken yet.

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
More complete version

Dear Sir,

Winner of the Best Patronage Action category at the first Art Awards, we are pleased to send you our catalogue concerning the second art exhibit, taking place at our Estate.

Our exhibit “L’Idiotie” conceived by JYJ, prompted the edition of a catalogue titled “De l’Idiotie aux Burlesques contemporains”. Encouraged by our first experience, we became, on this occasion, partners of the “Musée du Jeu de Paume” at which takes place the eponymous exhibit, put together by CK.

We would gladly welcome you for a private tour of the exhibit, which will close on November 3rd 2005

We thank you for the interest you take in our implication into contemporary art, and look forward to welcoming you.

Sincerely yours,

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
“L’Idiotie” conceived by JYJ,

I don't know it :confused: Is it famous? :confused:

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM
“L’Idiotie” conceived by JYJ,

I don't know it :confused: Is it famous? :confused:
Not really lol. It is contemporary art, so it's not that popular. You should hear what visitors tell me about it...

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:51 AM
You work in art ? You're an artist???? :scratch:

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM
You work in art ? You're an artist???? :scratch:
No. I work as a guidein a famous champagne house at the moment (until november), and every year, they welcome an contemporary art exhibit in their cellars, and I have to talk about it to visitors. I'm not really an expert.

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM
No. I work as a guidein a famous champagne house at the moment (until november), and every year, they welcome an contemporary art exhibit in their cellars, and I have to talk about it to visitors. I'm not really an expert.
In Pommery :eek:?

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah. Why?

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I know it ! I was student erasmus in Rheims in 2001 ;)

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, what did you study? I was at the UFR Lettres et Sciences Humaines.
And what do you think of my translation? :o

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Wow, what did you study? I was at the UFR Lettres et Sciences Humaines.
And what do you think of my translation? :o
I studied law . It's the building en face :)

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
"dans nos murs" :eek:

Giuliano
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Yes, I might have seen you there then (but of course, I didn't know it was you :p). Are you from Ireland, then? I suppose your mothertongue is English? :angel:

propi
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:11 AM
:wavey: Wish I could help you more, Giuliano, apparently your translation seems fine to me...
Anyway, if you ever needs help with Spanish :p

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Yes, I might have seen you there then (but of course, I didn't know it was you :p). Are you from Ireland, then? I suppose your mothertongue is English? :angel:

Yes, my father is Irish and my mother swedish :)

Helen Lawson
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'm affluent in both, hon, Dollars are easily exchanged into Euros.

Dahveed
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Un petit essai, quelques idées, tu en fais ce que tu en veux..

Bon courage ;)

D.

Dear Sir,

Laureate of the Best Patronage Action category at the first Art Awards, we are pleased to send you our second contemporay modern art exhibit's catalogue, currently taking place at our Estate.

Our exhibit “L’Idiotie” conceived by JYJ, prompted the edition of a catalogue titled “De l’Idiotie aux Burlesques contemporains”. Encouraged by our first experience, we became, on this occasion, partners of the “Musée du Jeu de Paume” where takes place the eponymous exhibit, created by CK.

We would be delighted to invite you for a private tour of this exhibit, which will finish on November 3rd 2005

We thank you for the interest you take in our implication into contemporary modern art, and look forward to welcoming you in Champagne.

Sincerely yours,

controlfreak
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Just use a web translation service, it'll give them a good laugh and probably make them more likely to come.