PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have a PC desktop and an Apple ibook

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I'm thinking of getting an ibook but I also will have a desktop....will It be like having two seperate systems where nothing is compatible between them at all? :confused:

Pengwin
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Why would you want an iBook?

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Why would you want an iBook?

because I've never used an Apple and I hear they are very good and don't crash and stuff like that. Also, I want to do a lot of photo editing in the coming year and I hear that Macs are best for that?

Edward.
Aug 25th, 2005, 12:34 AM
because I've never used an Apple and I hear they are very good and don't crash and stuff like that. Also, I want to do a lot of photo editing in the coming year and I hear that Macs are best for that?

If you plan to do video editing, using a Mac is a better choice than using Windows. I want to try out a Mac for similar reasons to you- just to see what its like, to experience less crashes etc.

Windows and Mac OSX are very different OS's though. I think you can share certain stuff like Office documents, text files, movie files, MP3's and stuff like that. Software is the one of the main sources of incompatibility.

JenFan75
Aug 25th, 2005, 12:36 AM
If you don't want stuff to crash on your PC just use Linux instead of windows. ^^

mrush
Aug 25th, 2005, 12:36 AM
get an apple :), dont have to worry about spyware, viruses and the likes. Very stable os. you can transfer most files. if you need programs to do stuff or planning on doing, write it down, and i'll try my best to write down a mac equivalent program.

controlfreak
Aug 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
I have both. Compatibility is a non-issue. By this stage every type of document you can imagine is completely compatible between the Mac and Windows versions of whatever software you use. The only drawback is buying both versions of the software, but that doesn't matter if you shiver your timbers and get Blackbeard to find you some programs ;) Transferring stuff is easy-peasy; you can either network the computers straight up with a crossover cable or via a switch/hub/LAN, and (providing you turn off your firewalls) each computer will be visible in the other one's file manager. Or you can use ftp. Or you can transfer stuff on a flash drive. Or an external HD. Or burn CDRWs, etc etc etc. As for peripherals, such as printers and suchlike, I'm less well informed but I'm pretty sure you can share one computer's printer through the network. Cameras are fine, they don't care what you plug them into.

The only thing is... once you get the ibook, your pc is going to gather a lot of dust (unless you are into gaming as well).

Oh, one other thing - if you are buying a Mac, wait until after September 24th because that is when the new products are announced at MacWorld Expo in Paris, hence the prices of the existing models will drop slightly. Finally, don't forget to take advantage of the educational discount (if applicable) offered by Apple's online store. Personally I am lining up One Big Ass Purchase (TM) as soon as October rolls round.

controlfreak
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Just to clarify, because the person above me said nothing is compatible:

1. the software is not compatible both ways
2. internal hardware, in general, is not compatible both ways
3. external hardware, in general, *is* compatible both ways
4. all your documents, files, media etc *are* compatible both ways

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Gee, I tell you it just doesn't matter....this is just the absolutely wrong time to need a new computer. :fiery:

I just need to cut my losses and buy the emachine at walmart for $500 and wait it out until next year.....that was my original plan BUT then I thought why not get a lap top so when I do get my big purchace next year I'll still have something I can use on trips. pffft! I have great timing!

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:32 AM
i've had both, rockie. until i sold all the pc desktops. i don't have an ibook but a powerbook g4 now. and no. nothing is compatible between the two. but you'll find less problems all around with the mac. and like mrush says, there are programs (like word) that can be bought for mac. all around, macs will give you less problems, more speed and more reliability. before you get an ibook, why not check out the powerbook? it's pretty cool too.

Hey Deuce....I suspect the powerbook is more expensive knowing your tastes. :hehehe:

Scotso
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Macs rule, but if you want to do video editing on the laptop you should get a powerbook, not an ibook.

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Macs rule, but if you want to do video editing on the laptop you should get a powerbook, not an ibook.

I love their look.....they are very nice....takes a little to get use to but very nice. I just remembered that Apple is migrating to the Intel chip which I haven't a clue as to what that means but DAMN!!!!!

Wigglytuff
Aug 25th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I'm thinking of getting an ibook but I also will have a desktop....will It be like having two seperate systems where nothing is compatible between them at all? :confused:

i did, but i dont use the pc anymore, sucks too much ass.

away yeah it works fine. if you have windoze xp or 2000 you should have no problem setting up a network to transfer files between the two. when you first get your computer you can call apple and they will help.

Wigglytuff
Aug 25th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I love their look.....they are very nice....takes a little to get use to but very nice. I just remembered that Apple is migrating to the Intel chip which I haven't a clue as to what that means but DAMN!!!!!

it wont mean anything for a few years but its a good thing.

anyway, i have noticed that you are into photography :p (i went picture taking today and have a whole bunch of stuff to upload.

anyway, for photography macs are 10000000000X better than pcs. why? iphoto. it doesnt seem like much but its so easy. you know how everything says plug and play these days but never is. iphotos really is. just plug in your camera and POW its all there, organized by album, and date automaticly. you can even search for your pics and create smart albums that update automaticly as you edit, add and delete photos.

and yeah there is stuff on the pc side that can do these things but none of them are as easy and intuitive.

Wigglytuff
Aug 25th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Just to clarify, because the person above me said nothing is compatible:

1. the software is not compatible both ways
2. internal hardware, in general, is not compatible both ways
3. external hardware, in general, *is* compatible both ways
4. all your documents, files, media etc *are* compatible both ways

1- depends on the software, many things work on both. you have to look at the box. you have a serial number and a legal copy that you bought recent and the company makes one for pc and one for mac on a seperate cd, somethimes you can call them up return the pc copy and for a fee get a mac copy.
2-yep
3-yep
4-yep, and i thought thats what she was talking about. i didnt think about the other stuff.

Berlin_Calling
Aug 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
i have both a PC desktop and a Powerbook but ever since i got my Powerbook, i dont even bother with my PC anymore.

gentenaire
Aug 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I have a PC desktop and an i-book. I use the i-book as play computer, for surfing, music, etc. The PC is for work related things. I love the mac. If it wasn't for Autocad, which doesn't run on Mac, I would have thrown out my PC long ago.

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
ok guys you convinced me to get a Mac laptop. :p

but I'm going to get a lower end one because if they are migrating to Intel then they are doing the whole dual core processor/ 64-bit thing too.....

Rocketta
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:55 AM
hmm, so I bought an ibook today...of course not the high end but decent.....and I so lucked up because they are offering a refund on the purchase of an ipod. :bounce:

Well I impulsively purchased one last month... :woohoo:

Although I didn't buy a mini, I will get more than half of my money back for it. :yeah:

Wigglytuff
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:24 AM
hmm, so I bought an ibook today...of course not the high end but decent.....and I so lucked up because they are offering a refund on the purchase of an ipod. :bounce:

Well I impulsively purchased one last month... :woohoo:

Although I didn't buy a mini, I will get more than half of my money back for it. :yeah:
COOL!!!!

email me, i have some cool stuff you might like! also i will see if i can find some how to books to help you move into the high class gated comunity that is the world of macs. :lol: :lol:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Everyone has said what I would say but yeah...

getting a powerbook is the best move i made (technology wise :lol: )

Wigglytuff
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:40 AM
i love my ibook.

let me give you the list of the best free stuff i have installed on my machine:

Frozen Bubble is a fun free game avaible for download on the mac osx site from apple.
istumbler is great for finding free wireless internet hotspots around you. a must if you are toing to take your mac out in the wild.
awaken, a cool alarm clock program
Azureus a cool bit torrent clien for all your legal bit torrent downloads
chimoo timer. sometimes i need a timer on my computer this is what i use.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Since I updated to XP a few years back, I haven't had ANY problems with crashing. If you have ME, 2000, or 98, you are more likely to crash.

I'm perfectly happy with Windows. Having once been the owner of a Mac, I've found it much easier to run software on the Windows platform, without having to "work around" special instructions which comes along with all software compatible with Mac devices.

As I would advise anyone, keep it in the family. Go all Mac, or all Windows. You'll have less headache.

Wigglytuff
Aug 26th, 2005, 03:32 AM
this is a cool website:
http://lynda.com/ its a paysite, but you can stream about 1 hour of train videos for mac os x tiger

http://forums.macnn.com/
the posters on these forums are very rude, but there is alot of information here. and if you have a question, its unlikely that they dont have the answer.

http://www.apple.com/retail/
this is the main apple website for the apple retail stores. you should definately check to see if there is a store near you as apple stores usually have worksjops for switchers.

Rocketta
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks! :wavey: