PDA

View Full Version : Google starts web call service

!<blocparty>!
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Internet firm Google, best known for its search engine, has launched free phone calls on the net.

Other firms, such as Skype, already offer such a service but Google claims its version is simpler to operate.

The service has launched in the US, and while Google said no timescale is in place yet for its global roll-out, the announcement has rocked other telecoms operators.

Google Talk is a downloadable Windows application which allows Gmail users to talk or send instant messages. Calling friends is made possible via a computer microphone and speaker. Speech signals are then converted into a digital format so it can be transmitted over the web.

Only Gmail account holders will be able to access the service. To sign up, users must log onto the website and enter their mobile phone number. They then receive an invitation code via a text message which allows them to open an account.

Once they are on Gmail, users can make voice calls, send emails or instant messages (IMs). It is working with other networks to allow voice calls to be made between them, the company said.

:p

controlfreak
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Google search is the best but I really hate gmail. It's so unintuitive. Now Google-Everthing is starting to annoy me. How much longer before you have to save up Google-dollars in your Google-account to Google-call your Google-buddy and tell him to be a bit more frugal with the Google? OTOH, competition is supposed to be a good thing. :confused:

Dan the Assassin
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Can you buy shares in google? I reckon there is alot of money to be made if you can. :)

decemberlove
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Can you buy shares in google? I reckon there is alot of money to be made if you can. :)

Yeah, you're a lil late there, honey. :p

AjdeNate!
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Google is splitting their stock, but it's not an IPO. ;)

I d/l Google Talk and I loves it. No more MSN for moi.

Dan the Assassin
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah, you're a lil late there, honey. :p
Damn, I am always too late. :lol: :lol: