PDA

View Full Version : I hate Job interviews because ....

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM
they make you do dumb *ish....like I have an interview in a couple of weeks and they want me to do a 15 minute presentation on a *scenario*. :rolleyes:

However, I better start liking them as I really want this job. :lol:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Also, I hate interview committees....there is no need to have 5 or 6 people interviewing, firing questions at someone who is already nervous. :rolleyes:

but worse is being on an interview committee....Yuck the politics that go on are just ridiculous. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ekkekko
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:02 AM
what job are you applying for that you like so much?

controlfreak
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:17 AM
I have a 100% success rate in job interviews. :D

DutchieGirl
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:25 AM
:lol: You probabaly only had 1! :p

cellophane
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:27 AM
I hate oral presentations! :bigcry: Come to think of it, I hate school, work and my life. :sobbing: :o

Mrs. Peel
Aug 24th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Also, I hate interview committees....there is no need to have 5 or 6 people interviewing, firing questions at someone who is already nervous. :rolleyes:

I agree, that is the absolute worst! Everyone glaring at you, each telling you what they want bla bla bla...it is hard to please 5-6 people!

Spunky83
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I actually once had an interview in front of 8(!) people, it was for a tv-production´s work shop. God, that was sooooo fucking irritating, I didn´t know who to look at!

And they were asking questions about everything. One guy would ask me why I think I´d fit in, then the woman asked me if I knew what the name of the mayor was?!?

OH MY...it was horrible. Actually, this was the first time I didn´t get the job afterwards. Usually people tend to like me in interviews but that one was just totally unexpected.

gentenaire
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I've been on an interviewing committee once. There were no real politics, overal I agreed with the views of the others except for one candidate...a good looking woman. I thought she was okay, certainly not bad, but the other three (all men) immediately put her at the top of their list. Looks really do matter.

"Sluggy"
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
ive never had to interveiw before committees thank goodness. I also hate interviews though i seem to perform pretty effectively. Mostly i find interviews intrusive. I think they should only stick to what is on your resume and cover letter but not ask intrusive questions. It should only be about THE WORK

PamShriverRockz
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
All interviews suckz really. Just imagine them naked!

<but try not to laugh> ;)

"Sluggy"
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
oh, here was my favourite question ever asked i think:

"Can you tell me why we should hire you over a recent college graduate who has not bounced around from job to job as you have?"

im like what the fuck, its your fucking decision who you hire.

My dream answer is: "Can you tell me if you prefer me to spit in your face, or would you prefer i hit you with a fucking chair?"

Helen Lawson
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Good luck, hon. Interviews are nothing next to a screen test, so think of it that way. I didn't have to do any screen tests after about 1948 or so, but I can still remember them, and they were really unpleasant, especially when you don't get the role. Like my screen tests for Scarlett O'Hara.

Experimentee
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I am so bad at interviews, epsecially when theres more than one person. Lots of people staring at me drilling me with questions makes me so nervous, and then I invariably make stupid comments which make me sound dumb :o

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Yeah, the interview committee is a tough thing to go through. The job I have now (Librarian) I think i was interviewed by like 6 or 7 people...I had to answer over 30 some questions for a freaking Librarian position.

The new job is for a Library Director of a small academic Library....but I have an advantage I hope as it's in my hometown where I currently live....and they are on the same consortium as my current job which means I know the software in and out. :hehehe:

Nicjac
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM
All interviews suckz really. Just imagine them naked!

<but try not to laugh> ;)

That is really a good advice to loose that humble demeanour most people show in interview situations. Job interviews – if conducted properly –have the purpose to reveal the real person applying for a job (sorting through the socially desired answers most people give as they read some book about how to behave in job interviews). To figure out how a person would behave in critical situations, they use the critical incident interview technique. Or sometimes oral presentations (not a good choice if you already know about it). I am trained to rate assessment center tasks and job interviews, so if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Good luck and all the best!

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I've been on an interviewing committee once. There were no real politics, overal I agreed with the views of the others except for one candidate...a good looking woman. I thought she was okay, certainly not bad, but the other three (all men) immediately put her at the top of their list. Looks really do matter.

Man I've been on some doozies....My very first one was for a Horticulture Instructor. They had to answer questions from five or 6 people and then they had to give a class lecture on propagation. {which was extremely interesting and totally got me into propagation} However, the politics came in when one of the candidates was known by our president and had volunteered on the campus and helped with a project. She clearly stated in the interview that she didn't feel like teaching was the area she wanted to go in that her talent was with commercial lanscaping.....but they voted for her to be the pick. Luckily she turned us down the guy who should've been the first pick was offered the job. He's still here and is very good.

My next big political encounter was when I was on the committee to hire the head of the mail room . The previous guy had been fired and his assistant was now applying for it. Lordy. There was sooo much back story and stuff going on. They tell you that you can't hold things agains an interviewee but they clearly do. They low-balled the assistant so bad. It was quite evident and sickening.

The other bad part is how nervous committee's make applicants. One lady who was interviewing for an English instructor position was so nervous her eye was twitching and she was literally shaking. I felt so bad for her and no matter how bad the answer I always smile at them and make it seem like the answer is ok and I hate smiling. :o

LeRoy.
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Good luck . I hate interviews too :scared:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
That is really a good advice to loose that humble demeanour most people show in interview situations. Job interviews – if conducted properly –have the purpose to reveal the real person applying for a job (sorting through the socially desired answers most people give as they read some book about how to behave in job interviews). To figure out how a person would behave in critical situations, they use the critical incident interview technique. Or sometimes oral presentations (not a good choice if you already know about it). I am trained to rate assessment center tasks and job interviews, so if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Good luck and all the best!

Hey Thanks! I haven't interviewed in over 5 years so I'm rusty. I'm pretty good with them I think but you never know if they already have a plan to hire someone or not.

I think oral presentations are pretty useless especially for what I'm interviewing for....they are looking for Theory answers and well theory is all well and good but real life actions are what count.

Nicjac
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM

"Can you tell me why we should hire you over a recent college graduate who has not bounced around from job to job as you have?"

My dream answer is: "Can you tell me if you prefer me to spit in your face, or would you prefer i hit you with a fucking chair?"

That is not really a stupid question to ask. What they wanted to know is how you'd react in a hostile environment or situation. Typical behavioural event interview question.

BTW I would spit - much more personal attack! :lol:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:48 PM
That is not really a stupid question to ask. What they wanted to know is how you'd react in a hostile environment or situation. Typical behavioural event interview question.

BTW I would spit - much more personal attack! :lol:

so what are you saying? That he may have shown some anger issues? :lol:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:53 PM

I think I would've chuckled and then said that's kind of a hard question. :lol:

That's me if I think a question is hard I say so then I say let me think.

I freaking hate two and three part questions. You are way too nervous to remember all of the question. I'm usually too nervous to write it down too. I usually answer part one and ask them to repeat part two.

Nicjac
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:16 PM
so what are you saying? That he may have shown some anger issues? :lol:

Most people think that high school grades or college grades (Hey, I was in the top ten percent of my class, ain’t I great – :awww: ) predict further accomplishments. No – they are just a pretty good indicator of general intelligence. To be intelligent has a lot of advantages, but in our job situation (trying to accomplish more in less time with fewer people) it’s not that important anymore. We need to be able to deal with the stress our work situations provide for us every day. The best predictor for future behaviour is behaviour already shown. That’s why human resources invented the assessment approach. So if they stress you out and you start spitting at them they know that you can’t handle stressful situations. Simple as that.

But it is a good strategy to tell them you have to think about it. With questions containing several points – and, therefore, answers, they try to gain access to your ability for multitasking.

PamShriverRockz
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM

I would have said....that I had more work and life experience, more experience dealing with people and learnt many things about working environment, team building etc. bullshit ;)

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Most people think that high school grades or college grades (Hey, I was in the top ten percent of my class, ain’t I great – :awww: ) predict further accomplishments. No – they are just a pretty good indicator of general intelligence. To be intelligent has a lot of advantages, but in our job situation (trying to accomplish more in less time with fewer people) it’s not that important anymore. We need to be able to deal with the stress our work situations provide for us every day. The best predictor for future behaviour is behaviour already shown. That’s why human resources invented the assessment approach. So if they stress you out and you start spitting at them they know that you can’t handle stressful situations. Simple as that.

But it is a good strategy to tell them you have to think about it. With questions containing several points – and, therefore, answers, they try to gain access to your ability for multitasking.

Yeah that is totally true about grades not being that big of an indicator of anything really...I have an atrocious undergraduate transcript but I have a great Grad school transcript. I usually spend a little time explaining the undergrad grades but having been on many interviews it's really not that big of a factor. I personally can't remember who had the great grades or who had the bad grades when they interview. However it is hard to convince some people that bad grades can be an indication of many things other than a lack of intelligence. That they may be great and can wow us in the interview.

Nicjac
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah that is totally true about grades not being that big of an indicator of anything really...I have an atrocious undergraduate transcript but I have a great Grad school transcript. I usually spend a little time explaining the undergrad grades but having been on many interviews it's really not that big of a factor. I personally can't remember who had the great grades or who had the bad grades when they interview. However it is hard to convince some people that bad grades can be an indication of many things other than a lack of intelligence. That they may be great and can wow us in the interview.

It is amazing that we are worried about high school grades, SAT in America, all the time. Heck, they are teenagers, they have to understand or grab far more important issues than being great in Latin or English Lit or Math. It is about who I am or want to become. I used a question in some job interviews asking if they had a fake ID to get into clubs while they were underage. This was inspired of the time I lived in NYC being 18 years old and needed a fake ID to get in – anywhere. It never proved me wrong. Let’s call it practical intelligence – and to go where you desire to go, gives some hints about what you are ready to partake in a stressful job situation.

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:08 PM
It is amazing that we are worried about high school grades, SAT in America, all the time. Heck, they are teenagers, they have to understand or grab far more important issues than being great in Latin or English Lit or Math. It is about who I am or want to become. I used a question in some job interviews asking if they had a fake ID to get into clubs while they were underage. This was inspired of the time I lived in NYC being 18 years old and needed a fake ID to get in – anywhere. It never proved me wrong. Let’s call it practical intelligence – and to go where you desire to go, gives some hints about what you are ready to partake in a stressful job situation.

Yeah I know...I tell people all the time a high GPA is an indication of committment and effort but not much else. It surely can't tell you who has job "common" sense or what was going on in the applicants life at the time.

griffin
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I've been on two separate interview committees where other members used their questions to the candidate to take shots at each other :rolleyes:

They don't have to be a horror show, though. If you interview for a position in my department, you're going to sit down with all of us in a group at least once. That we, we all get a sense of who you are and how well you'd fit, and you get a sense of who we are, and if you're crazy enough to want to work with us :lol:

gentenaire
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:32 PM
It was the day of the French Open final when I was on the committee, Justine vs. Mary. I knew I'd miss the first half hour of the final. If the interviews took longer than expected, I'd miss a lot more. So I was checking my watch a lot ;)
The last question they always asked the applicants was if they had any questions. One of the last ones' question was, "will you be here all day, interviewing people? There's tennis on! Justine!" I was screaming inside, "YES, I KNOW!" I rather liked this question but the others on the committee were offended. They expected questions along the line of what the department was like, when the position would open up, etc. They were clearly not interested in tennis. I kept my mouth shut.

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I've been on two separate interview committees where other members used their questions to the candidate to take shots at each other :rolleyes:

They don't have to be a horror show, though. If you interview for a position in my department, you're going to sit down with all of us in a group at least once. That we, we all get a sense of who you are and how well you'd fit, and you get a sense of who we are, and if you're crazy enough to want to work with us :lol:

Yeah there's that kind of tension as well.

At my job they don't hire within first and all the part-time people have to compete with outsiders and i hate it......you have these part-time people coming from bigger Universities where they get more diverse experience and then they use the lack of diversity against our own people. :fiery: Then you have to still work with them when they didn't get the job it's just so difficult. :tears:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
It was the day of the French Open final when I was on the committee, Justine vs. Mary. I knew I'd miss the first half hour of the final. If the interviews took longer than expected, I'd miss a lot more. So I was checking my watch a lot ;)
The last question they always asked the applicants was if they had any questions. One of the last ones' question was, "will you be here all day, interviewing people? There's tennis on! Justine!" I was screaming inside, "YES, I KNOW!" I rather liked this question but the others on the committee were offended. They expected questions along the line of what the department was like, when the position would open up, etc. They were clearly not interested in tennis. I kept my mouth shut.

Actually that is a good question....not because I like tennis and certainly NOT because I like Justine { :devil: } but because it was different and it showed some personality and let you in on a little bit of their personality.

griffin
Aug 24th, 2005, 08:02 PM

I'd have asked who they were pulling for ;)

(probably self-evident for you, but...)

(and your colleagues should have realized that such a question WAS about what the department was like :angel: )

Helen Lawson
Aug 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM

(and your colleagues should have realized that such a question WAS about what the department was like :angel: )

I actually was interviewing someone once who was from Hilton Head and we got to talking and he had been a ball-boy at FCC a long time ago. It was right after the Jennifer/Justine USO semi a couple of years ago. He starts on the harrangue how Jennifer was screwed in that match and how Justine was a cheater and stuff. I'm thinking, does this person post on WTAWorld? If so, do I tell him I'm Helen Lawson? I like Justine and do not think she's a cheater, so he got no points from me. I guess he figured since I'm American I'd be on Jennifer's side, so asking who they're pulling for can be very revealing.

Shonami Slam
Aug 24th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I only worked once in a chain bookstore, and i got it through knowing the boss' daugter (of course the friends mom, the boss, knew me and knew i was both good with people AND books. i believe i have an amazing abbility to say BS in the most lovely manner).
but i had my fair share of interviews and questioning commities. I usually try to smile alot, be a but funny, yet not too playful. i think about how i'm sitting (or standing) what i'm doing with my hands, how am i pronouncing the words and if my answer is getting too long.
Generally i used to suck when it came to people, but i learned that most of them are as embarressed as I am at least.
amazingly - laughing AT the whole comitee and testing process seems like genious stuff for them :eek:
Luckily, i want to work as a secratery or something that requires alot of paperwork, but no thinking. I suck at thinking, it makes me depressed.
and it's true that they give you alot of bullshit to stress you out - the whole psychology of interviews is silly. i rather be a couple of relativly simple tasks and deal with them live.
my best reaction to a custumer in the shop (and i loved myself afterwards) is when this fat, disguasting, rude and ignorant man knocked the hell on the glass door, shaking it completly. we had just closed the shop and started closing up the cash registers, arranging new book stocks and so on, and he started yelling at us to pen the door. i approuched the door (since it was glass you could quite easily hear through it) and told him loudly that we're very sorry and verry tired, and that we'll be happy to service him the following day from 9AM. the fucking retard knocked again and again and told me to open up, or he'll complain and get me fired. i was a bit shocked and started to turn away. he yeld at me that he knows the boss (in hebrew there is a male and female way to say maneger, he used the male one) and said that i'm an idiot and a retard. so i calmy turned back and yelled at him:
1) it's a female maneger (i used the hebrew word for that, not "female")!
2) We're CLOSED
and 3) i won't get fired because I'm fucking her daughter!!!
(of course, part three wasn't true, we're just really good friends, but hey - he doesn't need to know and all the other workers knew it was just to get him to sht the fuck up). the staff all said they would try it out themselves next time, and my boss and friend said they'll send my tactics in a memo to all workers of the chain :o

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I actually was interviewing someone once who was from Hilton Head and we got to talking and he had been a ball-boy at FCC a long time ago. It was right after the Jennifer/Justine USO semi a couple of years ago. He starts on the harrangue how Jennifer was screwed in that match and how Justine was a cheater and stuff. I'm thinking, does this person post on WTAWorld? If so, do I tell him I'm Helen Lawson? I like Justine and do not think she's a cheater, so he got no points from me. I guess he figured since I'm American I'd be on Jennifer's side, so asking who they're pulling for can be very revealing.

Haha, you really have to be careful in revealing all of your true feelings in an interview. :lol: You never know if you offend someone.

One lady in an interview was Mormon (not saying this is why she was doing it) and she kept interjecting God into the interview.....not good in a work aspect because it made it seem like she would spend her time preaching the word and not working. :o

gentenaire
Aug 24th, 2005, 08:51 PM

The others weren't my colleagues, in fact I had never met them before that day. It was for a goverment job. They needed an outsider on the committee and it had to be a woman (to create a bit of balance in the committee) so to me it didn't matter who got the job.

Now, what made it quite embarassing was when it turned out one of the applicants was in fact a colleague of mine, the person sitting next to me at my desk in fact, someone I know very well. He was quite shocked when he found out I was on the committee, I felt so sorry for him. It was a very uncomfortable situation, especially if you realise his boss is my father. He insisted he wasn't applying for another job all over the place but that he wanted security. He'd been sacked at his previous job because the company was reorganising, he didn't want that to happen again. The government offerst security, pays well, offers things we can never give him. So I didn't blame him. I promised I'd remain silent and I have. No one at works knows he might leave. I'd feel sorry if he left because he's really good and everyone likes him. I wasn't sure what to do during the interview, couldn't possibly be neutral, so I tried to stay out of it. Overall I think he received a fair treatment and the result would have been the same if I hadn't been on the committee. Still, it was a very uncomfortable situation.

Helen Lawson
Aug 24th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Haha, you really have to be careful in revealing all of your true feelings in an interview. :lol: You never know if you offend someone.

One lady in an interview was Mormon (not saying this is why she was doing it) and she kept interjecting God into the interview.....not good in a work aspect because it made it seem like she would spend her time preaching the word and not working. :o

I do a lot of interviewing and I have to admit, I mostly make snap judgments early on. People are always saying to try to stand out. I think that's the worst advice. If you've made the interview, then you're qualified for the job (at least what I do). Trying to stand out, it's too risky you'll stand out in a negative fashion. It's best to do nothing to get yourself eliminated. If they can't find a reason not to hire, you get hired. At least this is my experience in my world. Be like Chris Evert, play cautiously and rarely approach the net.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
just do what i do girl. no need to dress sexy or anything. just make sure you wear something green. you'll stand out.

that and your brains of course.

flyingmachine
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Good luck . I hate interviews too :scared:
I hate interviews too. :( I just got all tight up during inteviews. :o It took me over 10 interviews before I get my job. :o

skanky~skanketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:45 PM
i like interviews cuz i'm a pretty confident person. unless it's all abunch of dowdy old women.that's when i get nervous. :rolleyes:

flyingmachine
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:48 PM
i like interviews cuz i'm a pretty confident person. unless it's all abunch of dowdy old women.that's when i get nervous. :rolleyes:
Well I'm a naturally shy person and get nervous easly so this is why I'm not very good at interviews. :o

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I'm not too bad on interviews because I can suck it up and fake da funk...:o

You know pretend like I'm interested in what the interviewers are saying and smile and be all congenial. Also, dress to impress....with stockings and all when that is not how I'm going to show up to work at all. :tape:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I do a lot of interviewing and I have to admit, I mostly make snap judgments early on. People are always saying to try to stand out. I think that's the worst advice. If you've made the interview, then you're qualified for the job (at least what I do). Trying to stand out, it's too risky you'll stand out in a negative fashion. It's best to do nothing to get yourself eliminated. If they can't find a reason not to hire, you get hired. At least this is my experience in my world. Be like Chris Evert, play cautiously and rarely approach the net.

Yeah it's very hard not rushing to judgement....I try very hard. I find myself going for the underdog alot. :)

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
just do what i do girl. no need to dress sexy or anything. just make sure you wear something green. you'll stand out.

that and your brains of course.

Something Green, eh? I've never heard that one, why Green??

spokenword73
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I think green reminds people of money and its a "calming" color (they have it in prisons) :lol:
Rocketta, when will you know if you got the job?
For me the waiting is the hardest part. :mad:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:04 PM
I think green reminds people of money and its a "calming" color (they have it in prisons) :lol:
Rocketta, when will you know if you got the job?
For me the waiting is the hardest part. :mad:

I don't know because I haven't interviewed yet. ;)

skanky~skanketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Something Green, eh? I've never heard that one, why Green??

because it's the color to get you noticed. not stick out like a sore thumb like wearing something revealing or something pink/bright red...it's subtle but your interviewers will remember it. girl, PLEASE take my advice. it's fashion. i know about it.

dont go with a full green outfit. maybe a green scarf with emerald ear-rings and a black outfit.

generally when you wear all black it's professional yeah, but so so boring. nothing spruces up black like a green scarf.

and NO green shoes.

no beige, grey. white would be good too, because you're black and it would set off your skin tone. if green is not your color, try a soft maroon.

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:21 PM
because it's the color to get you noticed. not stick out like a sore thumb like wearing something revealing or something pink/bright red...it's subtle but your interviewers will remember it. girl, PLEASE take my advice. it's fashion. i know about it.

dont go with a full green outfit. maybe a green scarf with emerald ear-rings and a black outfit.

generally when you wear all black it's professional yeah, but so so boring. nothing spruces up black like a green scarf.

and NO green shoes.

no beige, grey. white would be good too, because you're black and it would set off your skin tone. if green is not your color, try a soft maroon.

ah thanks for the fashion tip because as you know I'm fashion challanged. :tape:

I do have to go shopping for something this weekend. Well I have a Navy blue suit that I use to wear a gold/yellow shirt with....maybe I'll see if that still fits 10 years later? :bounce:

skanky~skanketta
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM
ah thanks for the fashion tip because as you know I'm fashion challanged. :tape:

I do have to go shopping for something this weekend. Well I have a Navy blue suit that I use to wear a gold/yellow shirt with....maybe I'll see if that still fits 10 years later? :bounce::hearts: :lol:

kiwifan
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I hate Job interviews because...

...I find myself bragging too much and being so nice (I make the same Hotel California/Life In The Fastlane joke at every interview and it kills every time :smoke: ) and making people who can never keep me long, just fall in love with the idea of having me brighten their dreary work lives.

Sometimes I get sick and tired of letting complete strangers know that...

..."I'm special (special), So Special" :dance:

I mean they get me for just a lousy paycheck...

...that just ain't right. :hehehe:

griffin
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:14 PM

I do have to go shopping for something this weekend. Well I have a Navy blue suit that I use to wear a gold/yellow shirt with....maybe I'll see if that still fits 10 years later? :bounce:

Good plan - see if it fits, then go shopping for anew suit anyway. And shooze. Don't forget shooze.

Helen Lawson
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Good luck, hon. This will make you feel good. This one girl, I swear, she made a reference to "fucking my boyfriend" during the interview. I liked her candor, it was in response to my asking where she was staying and she goes into how she and the boyfriend in question had come into town, but got there the day before and basically all she'd done so far was...."fucking my boyfriend." And I could tell she didn't even think that wasn't appropriate like catching herself and apologizing.

I'm sure you can handle holding off on that reference! And, remember, be like Chris Evert, play cautiously from the baseline and rarely approach the net!

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Good plan - see if it fits, then go shopping for anew suit anyway. And shooze. Don't forget shooze.

So flipflops wouldn't be appropriate? :tears:

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Good luck, hon. This will make you feel good. This one girl, I swear, she made a reference to "fucking my boyfriend" during the interview. I liked her candor, it was in response to my asking where she was staying and she goes into how she and the boyfriend in question had come into town, but got there the day before and basically all she'd done so far was...."fucking my boyfriend." And I could tell she didn't even think that wasn't appropriate like catching herself and apologizing.

I'm sure you can handle holding off on that reference! And, remember, be like Chris Evert, play cautiously from the baseline and rarely approach the net!

Haha, Thanks Helen I will remember that! I don't think it will be hard not to mention F*cking the boyfriend as I don't have a boyfriend. :sobbing:

Nicjac
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:03 PM
So flipflops wouldn't be appropriate? :tears:

:lol:

Uhm - no. Try sensible shoes :tape: - can't make a fashion statement on a job interview.

But I totally agree with the colour - do not pick green shoes.

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Uhm - no. Try sensible shoes :tape: - can't make a fashion statement on a job interview.

But I totally agree with the colour - do not pick green shoes.

:lol: Haha, I would never buy green shoes for two reasons. One, that would be overkill and two, that would require quite a lot of shopping to find green shoes. :tape:

Nicjac
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
:lol: Haha, I would never buy green shoes for two reasons. One, that would be overkill and two, that would require quite a lot of shopping to find green shoes. :tape:

I googled green shoes and looked at some *throws up*

Except some sneakers.

And don't pick any of those: http://www.avikatz.net/rachel/shoes/current.htm

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I googled green shoes and looked at some *throws up*

Except some sneakers.

And don't pick any of those: http://www.avikatz.net/rachel/shoes/current.htm

:haha:

Not only would I never wear anything like that I wouldn't put them in my curio cabinet either. :scared:

samp20
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Job interviews suck. I can never think of anything good to say until I'm already in my car. By that point I want to run back & yell, "Wait! Wait! I'm smart. Really I am! I have a good answer now! Ask me that question again!"

Rocketta
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Job interviews suck. I can never think of anything good to say until I'm already in my car. By that point I want to run back & yell, "Wait! Wait! I'm smart. Really I am! I have a good answer now! Ask me that question again!"

I know the stress can be overwhelming. :(

Kart
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Job interviews suck.

Good luck though :kiss:.

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Job interviews suck.

Good luck though :kiss:.

They do and thanks! :hug:

I got a suit this weekend but still do not have shoes or a blouse to go with...:o

griffin
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Well, damn, woman, get yourself out shopping again ;)

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Well, damn, woman, get yourself out shopping again ;)

torture, torture all around! :o :o :o

skanky~skanketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:09 PM
They do and thanks! :hug:

I got a suit this weekend but still do not have shoes or a blouse to go with...:o

describe the suit!!!!*please be cream*

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM

I'm sorry but I'm going to disappoint you Vgirl....it's Navy. :tape:

It's a basic power suit with a long skirt to my ankle. The best thing about it is it's washable. :woohoo:

I refuse to buy things that need dry cleaning. :tape: :tape:

It's good enough for my little town with country people. ;)

JustBeingMyself
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I am unemployed, and wish to stay this way.

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:26 PM

the skirt looks a little like this....but with a more classic business jacket.

http://www.dillards.com/images/product/woo391_fi.jpg

Helen Lawson
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:36 PM

That'll do fine hon. Make sure the shoes aren't too dressy and you're in business.

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:41 PM
That'll do fine hon. Make sure the shoes aren't too dressy and you're in business.

:yeah:

CC
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:53 PM

I like that. :)

skanky~skanketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
looka great!

get a light green blouse. if you think it clashes, get something that has a bit of color, like a light peach or light pink.(and you need to get matching ear-rings. plain gold posts wont help!)

what kind of shoes are you getting?

and how are you gonna wear your make-up and hair??

:drool:

PamShriverRockz
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
When is your interview Rocketta? Good luck! Bet you'll do great :)

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:21 PM
When is your interview Rocketta? Good luck! Bet you'll do great :)

the 9th. and Thanks! :)

Rocketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM
looka great!

get a light green blouse. if you think it clashes, get something that has a bit of color, like a light peach or light pink.(and you need to get matching ear-rings. plain gold posts wont help!)

what kind of shoes are you getting?

and how are you gonna wear your make-up and hair??

:drool:

ok, I'll look for those colors this weekend.

hmm, my holes have closed in my ears so no earrings.....and I don't wear make-up.....well I would if my skin was going crazy but I'm going through a good phase right now so probably zero make-up.

I will probably wear silver jewlery...A necklace and bracelet..

my hair well I have dreads not much to be done with them other than getting the new growth twisted which I will and I'll probably pull them back off of my face because I usually get compliments when I do that. :) Also when I pull them back I get fewer 'Rasta/Whoopi/Reggae' stereotypes thrown at me. :tape:

Nicjac
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Navy and pink is a typical power outfit this season - navy and light green (good choice, name_change!) would be more different and, therefore, individual, I'd go with that. Especially with dark hair.

Silver jewellery is appropriate with that outfit, don't wear anything too big or glittering - 'decent' jewellery leaves the impression of calm decision-making, flashing jewellery says 'I still have to find out who the hell I am'.

Aren't you sick of all the advices by now? :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Navy and pink is a typical power outfit this season - navy and light green (good choice, name_change!) would be more different and, therefore, individual, I'd go with that. Especially with dark hair.

Silver jewellery is appropriate with that outfit, don't wear anything too big or glittering - 'decent' jewellery leaves the impression of calm decision-making, flashing jewellery says 'I still have to find out who the hell I am'.

they dont call me the fashion expert not nowt.

hingis-seles
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I remember my interview for admission at university. They asked me a couple of math questions (which I suck at :p ) and I had no clue what the answers were and each time, I just smiled and said "I don't know. Why don't you try another question." and when I was asked the fourth question, I knew the answer and replied correctly, and the members of the interview committee smiled at me. It was pretty funny. Then, we got talking about non-academic stuff and I told them about all the countries I had traveled to. They asked me about which one was the most memorable. Inside my head, I was like oh crap, I never imagined I'd be asked this. Then I remembered all the pageants I had watched and came up with "Even though I have been to many beautiful cities around the world, I would have to choose Singapore, because of it's extremely diverse population, it's richness in culture and heritage and the fact that the one city is the entire country, so when I visited Singapore, I didn't only visit one city, but the entire country." Ugh, now that I look back I sounded like such a pageant patty. :lol: I aced the interview, though, so yay me! ;)

Good luck, Rocketta! :kiss:

Rocketta
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM

No, I'm sick of it. :lol: I find it fascinating actually.

I don't have any flashy jewellery at all so it'll work out. :)

I however, don't have a clue as to where I can find a light green blouse.

Rocketta
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I remember my interview for admission at university. They asked me a couple of math questions (which I suck at :p ) and I had no clue what the answers were and each time, I just smiled and said "I don't know. Why don't you try another question." and when I was asked the fourth question, I knew the answer and replied correctly, and the members of the interview committee smiled at me. It was pretty funny. Then, we got talking about non-academic stuff and I told them about all the countries I had traveled to. They asked me about which one was the most memorable. Inside my head, I was like oh crap, I never imagined I'd be asked this. Then I remembered all the pageants I had watched and came up with "Even though I have been to many beautiful cities around the world, I would have to choose Singapore, because of it's extremely diverse population, it's richness in culture and heritage and the fact that the one city is the entire country, so when I visited Singapore, I didn't only visit one city, but the entire country." Ugh, now that I look back I sounded like such a pageant patty. :lol: I aced the interview, though, so yay me! ;)

Good luck, Rocketta! :kiss:

That's a funny story! :lol: Sometimes the *pat* answer is the only answer. ;)

Nicjac
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I however, don't have a clue as to where I can find a light green blouse.

The colour is pretty en vogue in Europe, many regular designers had it in their spring and fall collections.

So I'd recommend some big mall, which is not just All-American. Or try H&M - they usually have a huge array of blouses, even if it is typical one-season quality :tape:

Rocketta
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM
The colour is pretty en vogue in Europe, many regular designers had it in their spring and fall collections.

So I'd recommend some big mall, which is not just All-American. Or try H&M - they usually have a huge array of blouses, even if it is typical one-season quality :tape:

H & M????

I don't live near a huge mall although I do live near Myrtle Beach and they have a mega outlet mall? :scratch:

Nicjac
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM
H&M is a clothes store from Scandinavia and very popular for cheaper clothes. They have stores in the US by now and they are famous for using top models in their advertisement. On the other side it was the first store who used models over 50 (some great actress if I recall correctly, what's her name :scratch:

I have been to Myrtle Beach, I am sure you'll find someting there.

Alternatives to light green: pale orange, light blue, light pink, or white. Don't use a cream colour (=elderly).

Rocketta
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
H&M is a clothes store from Scandinavia and very popular for cheaper clothes. They have stores in the US by now and they are famous for using top models in their advertisement. On the other side it was the first store who used models over 50 (some great actress if I recall correctly, what's her name :scratch:

I have been to Myrtle Beach, I am sure you'll find someting there.

Alternatives to light green: pale orange, light blue, light pink, or white. Don't use a cream colour (=elderly).

Ah I see, I've never heard of it but that's not saying much. :tape:

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, I have a question for you working folk.....

I have to do a presentation ( *puke* ) anyway I'm using Powerpoint but I have to do a presentation on how I would handle a budget crisis, ie if I only get 30% of what I requested. How would I approach my collection development.

So I wanted to call my plan the , "Why Me, Lord?" plan as a icebreaker joke but I don't know if it would be appropriate? So what do y'all think?

Also, what questions would you ask when they ask you if you have any questions?

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM
btw, I bought a light pink and a lime green shirt.....which should I chose? :hehehe:

skanky~skanketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM
lime green girl!as someone else mentioned, pink is too common this season.

and yes, u should use the joke as ur ice-breaker. but remember you need to let it flow during the presentation otherwise the joke wont be effective in showcasing YOU. you want to off as funny yet chic-professional.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:37 PM
lime green girl!as someone else mentioned, pink is too common this season.

and yes, u should use the joke as ur ice-breaker. but remember you need to let it flow during the presentation otherwise the joke wont be effective in showcasing YOU. you want to off as funny yet chic-professional.

I was going to make it my first slide.....laugh and then go on to the real presentation. So one vote for the joke. :yeah:

Oh and lime green. Which is like one of my favorite colors not sure why? :unsure:

griffin
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Ask how likely it is that you'd only get 30% of your budget.

Ask about their facilities and resources, their funding (where it comes from - unless that's obvious, it isn't in my corner of non-profit land), decision-making structure (and your role in it)...I would avoid asking about salary and benies until later. You don't want it to look like you're only interested in money.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ask how likely it is that you'd only get 30% of your budget.

Ask about their facilities and resources, their funding (where it comes from - unless that's obvious, it isn't in my corner of non-profit land), decision-making structure (and your role in it)...I would avoid asking about salary and benies until later. You don't want it to look like you're only interested in money.

hmm, thanks!

this is an interview in a Library about the size of the one I'm already at and it's at the same type of school in the same system that I'm already in using the same software I use everyday. So I work a small community college in NC and this job is in a small community college in NC. ;)

The decision-making structure is a good question.....if the supervisor isn't sitting in on the interview ask who that would be?

Ohhh, that has triggered a question I could ask......Do they have any plans on building a new Library building, when do they forsee it coming to fruition?

So I have two questions....Thanks Griffin! :)

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Oh and you're right that 30% of budget is a bullshit question but unfortunately if you want a job you can't be too truthful. :tape:

Nicjac
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Ok, I have a question for you working folk.....

I have to do a presentation ( *puke* ) anyway I'm using Powerpoint but I have to do a presentation on how I would handle a budget crisis, ie if I only get 30% of what I requested. How would I approach my collection development.

So I wanted to call my plan the , "Why Me, Lord?" plan as a icebreaker joke but I don't know if it would be appropriate? So what do y'all think?

Damn. I just saw that this thread is back with a new question or I would have answered earlier.

All right, some brainstorming – I hope it’s not too late. I’ll start with the critical incident (or presentation challenge) and come back to your question about the joke later.

First of all: That scenario is pretty common in job interviews. Budget cuts are reality in our work life, but still very difficult to deal with it. So they want to know how you deal with a difficult (even employment-threatening) situation.

A) Do not try – I repeat – do no try to pull the whole project through with 30% of the money. Most people try to do so to leave a good impression, but in reality that just doesn’t work. Meaning – if you could pull it through with 30% of the money – why did you ask for so much more money initially?!? You wanna spend a lot of money for nothing? So, in the first step you need to emphasize that cuts are necessary. Try to differentiate between the key elements of the project and minor other improvements. Cut those out.

B) After cutting down think about additional grants. Explore possibilities of national grants, private organisations supporting your issue, Universities interested in your issue (they are richer than we think, especially in the US) or single persons (as in Bill Gates and his foundation) – they might give you just a $1.000, but hey, its another grand secured. Add up several of those and you make real money. This gives a hint about your ability to secure other funds – and your determination.

C) Costs for personnel are usually the highest spending issue (if it’s not just a technical job). Try to cut them in using cheaper help, as in students, internships, people starting off, part-time workers. Think about a cheaper work force. Present it!

About your joke – Why Me, Lord – great idea to start as everyone knows budget cuts and will have empathy with your task. Get them on your side. Research has shown that in the first eight minutes of an interview an impression is made to decide if you are in or out. So use this fist impression to your advantage. After that emotional joke get to the facts, show that you are a business women knowing how to deal with a stressful situation in telling them you have to cut down to the major issues, secure additional funds and find a way to cut down on the costs of personnel. In between your presentation use it again, meaning if some of your ideas do not work out (don’t use all your ideas on the first shot), everybody gets a laugh again. So you’ll get the empathy again. And then use your next strategy to deal with the situation if the first plan didn’t work out. Secure new funds, use cheaper personnel. At the end of your presentation you might use it again. Don’t try “Why Me, Lord – Because I am perfect for the job" (we all failed once in a while), but be more modest as in "Why Me, Lord – Because I’ll do whatever I can to save the project".

What employers hate is people blaming a non successful project on cut budgets. Stay away from that on all costs. You take it on with 30% - you are the one blame (especially for the questions after the presentation). Show your responsibility!

Last but not least – some remarks to Power-Point-Presentations. I don’t really know how old you are, but I’d guess between 25 and 35. There are a lot of older people (usually present in interview committees as they are supervisors) out there who don’t have a clue how Power-Point works. And they hate everybody who knows more than them – so keep it simple. Do not show off with flying objects, visual effects at all or other sophisticated probabilities. Keep it simple and to the point. Use the appear function, and use a simple design. They’ll love you for that. To get those on your side is much more important than getting the younger ones on your side.

Sorry if I over boarded or if I am too late. Good luck to you, I’ll keep my fingers crossed! p.s.s Take the light green one! Colour of hope anyway ;)

skanky~skanketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:40 PM
yes, you could either follow what nicjac has said :yawn:

or you could show them a few moves. on their laps. trust me girl, lapdances will defo work, especially with a bootay like yours.

i'm joking of course. :tape:

seriously, what nicjac has said is wonderful!but hold your nerve and dont stammer. in order to make a good impression, you need to be smooth.

Nicjac
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM
yes, you could either follow what nicjac has said :yawn:

or you could show them a few moves. on their laps. trust me girl, lapdances will defo work, especially with a bootay like yours.

:rolls: :rolls:

I wish!

I participated on several interview committees as well as rated job assessment center tasks, and I feel :yawn: for all the same answers one always gets.

I'd love to have someone doing a lap dance on me and would give'em a job immediately. Just because of originality. And I am a woman. Unfortunately, strategy depends on the job one is applying for. So, as long as I am not responsible for staffing some hot xxx pic or some serious downtown business I am stuck with those boring answers.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Haha, ok Vgirl and Nijac! :tape:

It's not too late as I'm only working on the powerpoint presentation tonight/now. :o :o

Nijac, great advice! I debated talking about personnel because knowing the State of NC which is who I work for the Library head usually doesn't have any say in whether cuts come from the salary line item or not. So if they cut my book budget it wouldn't necessarily affect my salary budget. I have to look up the letter they sent me but I believe they mention collection development (which would be referring to the book budget) I will make sure.

My plan was to evaluate the collection and decide what is a must and what can wait for another year. I think this is what they are looking for. However, you just gave me some confirmation that I am on the right track. Thanks!

I will use the Why Me, Lordy Plan! ;)

Nicjac
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM
You are a librarian?

My grandma always wanted me to become a librarian.

And sometimes I wish I had taken her advice. *sigh*

I know two librarians here in Switzerland. Pretty strong-willed women ;)

Let us know how it went!

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM
You are a librarian?

My grandma always wanted me to become a librarian.

And sometimes I wish I had taken her advice. *sigh*

I know two librarians here in Switzerland. Pretty strong-willed women ;)

Let us know how it went!

Yeah that's me a Librarian. I bet they are payed way better in Switzerland than here. We don't get paid well at all. :(

"Sluggy"
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM
surely much better than in France. Low 20's.

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:04 PM
surely much better than in France. Low 20's.

wow!! :eek:

I've seen positions in smaller libraries starting at the high 20's which is bad considering these had to go to grad school to be able to make that great salary. :tape:

"Sluggy"
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
starting salary will full benefits is 1300 pretax. I also dont see any positions at the current time on google.

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM
starting salary will full benefits is 1300 pretax. I also dont see any positions at the current time on google.

1300 euros or dollars? is that a month?

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
btw, the interview went ok. It's the first time I don't feel like I did well but I don't think I did bad. I don't know. It went OK. I know that I wasn't getting a bunch of fake smiles so that is a good thing. LOL

skanky~skanketta
Sep 9th, 2005, 11:38 PM
i hope you get it!that way, you can have something different for lunch instead of subway everyday.

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2005, 11:47 PM
i hope you get it!that way, you can have something different for lunch instead of subway everyday.

Haha, I haven't had Subway for a couple of months. :lol:

I get a grilled chicken salad everyday......it's the only thing that isn't fried or contain white flour in my cafeteria. :tape:

Nicjac
Sep 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I am glad it went okay.

How did your Why Me, Lord plan work?

BTW - librarians pay check is bigger than 30k in Switzerland. But don't forget that living expanses are way higher in Switzerland as well.

Rocketta
Sep 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I am glad it went okay.

How did your Why Me, Lord plan work?

BTW - librarians pay check is bigger than 30k in Switzerland. But don't forget that living expanses are way higher in Switzerland as well.

yeah it did but now I'm thinking about all the stuff they didn't say or do...it's making me think the fix is up. :(

I could be wrong though.

Unfortunately, the Why Me, Lord, was seen before I could spring it on them but it went over ok they did chuckle.