PDA

View Full Version : 555 - starting all phonenumbers in the US with this 3 numbers?

matthias
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
i mean, in nearly each movie or TV-Series when they say a Phonenumber the Numbers starts with - 555

so it seems a bit crazy to me
or is it just the bad work from the german sychronization company?

Helen Lawson
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
I never could understand it. When I was making movies and stuff, in the script it was always "555" but after like 65 years of phone numbers all over the country in real life, I've never had one that's "555".

Sally Struthers
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
oh oh I know this! It's because the 555 prefix is set aside for TVs and movies but lately Hollywood is restricted to 555-0100 to 555-0199

controlfreak
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
555-xxxx is the standard fake phone number used in all US film & TV. So that they will never accidentally use a real person's number on a show and have people calling that number. Also, in films & TV, numbers like bank accounts and credit cards always have fewer digits than legitimate real life numbers, so the producers of the show can't get in trouble for publishing some random person's details.

matthias
Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM
I never could understand it. When I was making movies and stuff, in the script it was always "555" but after like 65 years of phone numbers all over the country in real life, I've never had one that's "555".

informations from a real "insider"

thanks for all replies

RayRob
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:11 AM
oh oh I know this! It's because the 555 prefix is set aside for TVs and movies but lately Hollywood is restricted to 555-0100 to 555-0199

That's very interesting - I never knew that.....but I did always wonder about the 555......what is the reason that hollywood restricted the use to 555-0100 to 555-0199? Seems a bit silly to only be able to use 99 numbers.....Gill Grissom could end up contacting Sara Sidle with the same number Sydney Bristow uses to contact Michael Vaughn during a top secrete missing ;) :shrug:

Wigglytuff
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:02 AM
i mean, in nearly each movie or TV-Series when they say a Phonenumber the Numbers starts with - 555

so it seems a bit crazy to me
or is it just the bad work from the german sychronization company?

the 555 area code was never used, so the media started using it and now it CANT be used, not for any laws just because i dont think anyone would want a 555 number/

deja_entendu
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:36 AM
it's retarded, nothing is worse than being engrossed in a movie only to see someone dialing 555-####. sucks ya right out of the film IMO

le bon vivant
Aug 24th, 2005, 02:52 AM
I hate how the film will be serious as hell, and then you see the actor dial 555-

:fiery: i agree, it takes from the movie.

~CANUCK~
Aug 24th, 2005, 03:34 AM
it's retarded, nothing is worse than being engrossed in a movie only to see someone dialing 555-####. sucks ya right out of the film IMO

tell that to the chick who's number got used in the movie bruce almighty , they used the number as the phone number for God. So for weeks after she had people calling her all hours of the day asking for god. How would you like it if you were watching a movie and your # was used. They use 555 for a reason :rolleyes:

deja_entendu
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:17 AM
tell that to the chick who's number got used in the movie bruce almighty , they used the number as the phone number for God. So for weeks after she had people calling her all hours of the day asking for god. How would you like it if you were watching a movie and your # was used. They use 555 for a reason :rolleyes:

I'm sure they can think of something more clever. Why is it necessary to show the audience the phone number digits in the first place? If it's going to detract from the movie, don't include it, and I think most would agree that it detracts...

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:18 AM
there is no 555-**** number in the world which is why they use it