PDA

View Full Version : to aussies from Melbourne

Sam's Slave
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
i wanna go to melbourne for a year for working holidays. so what would you advise a german who's coming to melbourne? what about the job market? how cheap/expensive is melbourne? where to go in melbounre? what do i need to see and what not?

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
You should go to the AO, the Melbourne Grand Prix, the 2006 Commonwealth Games, some AFL games, Hanging Rock, some of the best restaurants and some lower-level but still good BYO restaurants (Melbourne is great for food, and relatively cheap), and ...

I really need to know more about your tastes and your job qualifications. I can't quite imagine what someone would do for a year to make money unless they had some kind of contacts. It's not like there's a lot of seasonal labour or something. But maybe there are work abroad schemes you find out about via your college or uni?? :scratch:

Anyway, you'll find Melbourne cheap compared to big cities in Germany.

DutchieGirl
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:06 AM
:help: Hanging Rock! :haha:

Yeah I mean the job market would really depend on qualifications...

Oleh
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:15 AM
job market... qualification but more important experience. Perhaps the hospitality industry at Hotels which there are plenty.There are lots of foreign people working in melbourne (like me!) and there are really "heaps" of places to look.

places like St kilda are central (5/10 minute drve from CBD offpeak or 20 mins by slowwwww tram) and cheap to live (ie apartment $150-200 a week on average depending what you want) plus St kilda is melbournes coolest place to live. Naturally why I live here.

Other costs I guess are quite reasonable esp from say europe.

Things to see...after your been here a year youll have seen them all.

DutchieGirl
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:21 AM
you got a place in St. K for $150-$200 a week? :eek:

Oleh
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:32 AM
easily. $165 pw 1 bedroom. great condition. and that wasnt event the cheapest of the barrel. studios start from $120 right off fitzroy (ie jackson or canterbury etc)

DutchieGirl
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:34 AM
lol they must be dumps then! :help: ;)

Oleh
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:38 AM
lol i think they are..morelike a cardboard box on the side of a street gutter saying "studio".

But really im amazed at what you can get out here and for how much...for example something on the espi 2 bedrooms maybe $300pw if that.. I think even fitzroy is more expensive and is no where near as cool as St k.

Also advice, check out South Yarra if the seaside aint your thing, there are good apartments to be had there to and much closer to CBD.

DutchieGirl
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:44 AM
hmm that's not bad prices...I really thought it would be more expensive to live that close to the city. Although I would expect Sth Yarra would be more expensive, no?

Oleh
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:56 AM
More expensive in terms of size of what you get, but again studios start from $120ish and realisticaly there not that bad (most of the studios and apartments are newer), south yarra is very varied in what you can get.

thers some good realestate websites out there which is how i got my apartment, i think its www.realestate.com.au and then select the "rentals" page and do a search from there.

A little birdy whispered in my ear that its possible to get 1 room things hawthorn/ richmond way from as little as $90 :eek: :p

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:05 AM
What's wrong with Hanging Rock? :fiery:

It's a great spot for a picnic. ;)

decemberlove
Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:24 AM

You must have fucked there.

Rohin.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:31 AM
Hanging Rock :lol:

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
You must have fucked there.

No, but it's an idea.

Wendy Turnball
Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Brisbane is better.

DutchieGirl
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:25 PM

My Grandma was obsessed with the place...so every time she came over from England, we had to go there! :rolleyes: :p

Plus what's so good about it? :lol: I mean I like the story, but the place itself...it's not that good! :lol:

DutchieGirl
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Brisbane is better.

:yeah: I actually agree! ;) Well except in January! ;)