PDA

View Full Version : "My back is feeling really great" :D

lindsayno1
Aug 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Dethroned Davenport declares herself fit after back injury

NEW HAVEN, United States (AFP) - US veteran Lindsay Davenport, on the verge of being dethroned as women's world number one, brushed aside any notion of retirement, declaring herself fit after a nagging back injury.

Davenport, who loses her top ranking on Monday to Russian Maria Sharapova, spoke here Sunday on the opening day of a 1.25 million-dollar WTA and ATP hardcourt tournament, the final US Open tuneup.

"I dont follow it. Its such a cyclical thing," Danvenport said of the rankings. "To be honest, I was surprised I was number one up until today."

The 29-year-old American, a four-time runner-up here in the past six years, suffered a back injury in the third set of her loss to Venus Williams in the Wimbledon women's final. She has been resting most of the seven weeks since.

"My back is feeling really great," Davenport said. "I didn't do anything but rest. It was a little difficult because Im such a hyped person. It was weird not doing anything. Now, Im back and ready to play for as much I can go."

Davenport pulled out of the Fed Cup semi-finals the following week and quit in her first WTA match with lower back strain after losing five games in only 18 minutes to Germany's Anna-Lena Groenefeld in July at Stanford, California.

"I probably came back too soon," admitted the three-time Grand Slam champion. "It was frustrating because the hard-court season is usually my best time of the year.

"But at this time of my career, Im not going to compete anymore if Im not 100 percent healthy."

Davenport, who lost January's Australian Open final to Serena Williams, then withdrew from events at San Diego and Los Angeles. But she brushed aside concern over the injury, saying past thoughts of retirement are gone.

"I cant foresee a time stopping at the moment," Davenport said.

*does a little dance and shakes that thing* YES!!! Now take the title AND the US Open dammit!!!!

Loughyunijen
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM
Get in......hmmmmmmmmm Maybe John is lovng the prize money too much rather than the thought of kids!

Here's to 2006....and touring another great year for Linds!

Lindsayfan32
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:22 PM
Yes it seems she back excuse the pun there and it sounds like energy won't be a problem for the next three weeks. It seems this injury could end up being a blessing as she will be well rested and when she well rested as was the case at Wimbledon she plays better.

foreva lindsay
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM
excellent news :banana:

Kelly
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
wooohooooo......great news. lets hope for a winning return

GrandSlam05
Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
Great to hear about the back! And it's alright that she has been doing "nothing" these last few weeks! Remember what Mary Joe said about Lindsay's timing, "She's realized her timing is pretty much impeccable. It only takes her a couple of days to get it."

Andrew..
Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
Get in......hmmmmmmmmm Maybe John is lovng the prize money too much rather than the thought of kids!

Here's to 2006....and touring another great year for Linds!
Lindsay should have kids with Jan-Mike. I'll be creating a thread on this, shortly.

sweet_angel23
Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:36 AM
yipeee :bounce:
really made my day!!! :) ;)

Jan
Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM
This is great great news. Makes Monday suddenly feel so much better and from Friday I have 2 weeks leave from work to watch the Open and Lindsay! What could be better?!:cool:

chewy
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM
"I cant foresee a time stopping at the moment," Davenport said.

*does a little dance and shakes that thing* YES!!! Now take the title AND the US Open dammit!!!!

Hahaha...ur funny. reading that last sentence makes me feel like :woohoo:

sweet_angel23
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM
I have 2 weeks leave from work to watch the Open and Lindsay! What could be better?!:cool:

oohhh lucky you jan :)
have fun!

Loughyunijen
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:30 AM
Lindsay should have kids with Jan-Mike. I'll be creating a thread on this, shortly.

Whos jan-mike???!! :confused:

Dasha_
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
I am so glad she is healthy again! Go Lindsay!
Now win New Haven and get back to your spot.

(I hope you guys donít mind me posting here. Maybe I am not a passionate Lindsay fan, but I really love her and have a huge respect for her)

RayRob
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Whos jan-mike???!! :confused:

He means Jan-Michael Gambil, a fairly handsome USA tennis player who's plumeted in rankings as of late!

I am so glad she is healthy again! Go Lindsay!
Now win New Haven and get back to your spot.

(I hope you guys donít mind me posting here. Maybe I am not a passionate Lindsay fan, but I really love her and have a huge respect for her)

I don't think anyone in here minds at all.....you're welcome here even if you just like Lindsay a little itty bit ;) As long as someone has something nice to say....we don't mind at all :D

Back onto the subject :woohoo: :bounce: :banana:

:yeah: great to hear from Lindsay and especially sounding so possitive. Apparently she does have to get to the finals in order to re-establish herself at number one.....but if she's gonna win this and the US Open then it really doesn't matter ;)

C'mon Lindsay :bounce:
-Rache

Dasha_
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
I don't think anyone in here minds at all.....you're welcome here even if you just like Lindsay a little itty bit ;) As long as someone has something nice to say....we don't mind at all :D

Thank you. :) It is so good to see some group of people (other than RC), who are so nice and polite. :angel:

BTW, I don't like Lindsay just a little bit, I just don't like her as much as I like Serena and Venus, but Lindsay is my "second favorite" (and few of those upcoming kids as well)

:wavey:

Elldee
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
He means Jan-Michael Gambil, a fairly handsome USA tennis player who's plumeted in rankings as of late!

They played together at WTT or in mixed somewhere too.

Davenport Yet To Close The Deal
August 22, 2005
By ROBERTO GONZALEZ, Courant Staff Writer NEW HAVEN - Lindsay Davenport cringed. She had just been reminded she has reached four finals in six years at the Pilot Pen without winning a title.

"It's funny. It's a great statistic, but a horrible one," Davenport said. "Something happens to me on that final Saturday where I haven't been able to come through. I look forward to hopefully changing that. I have a lot of tournament victories on hardcourts in the United States, and I think this is one of the few I do not have."

ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport is the top seed at the Pilot Pen and gets a bye into the second round. Main draw play began Sunday for the women, and Davenport will play Tuesday at 7 p.m. She will face the winner of the Tatiana Golovin-Kveta Peschke match.

Davenport last played the Pilot Pen in 2003 and was forced to withdraw with a foot injury in the second set of the championship match against Jennifer Capriati.

After being highly promoted before last year's Pilot Pen, Davenport withdrew at the last minute with left wrist tendinitis, which disappointed tournament officials. She was determined not to risk a repeat of that scene.

The 2005 Pilot Pen is her first tournament since she was forced to retire with back problems in a second-round match at the Bank of the West a month ago. . She made sure she was 100 percent before entering the Pilot Pen three weeks ago.

"I didn't want to end up doing the same thing," Davenport said. "I felt guilty last year for pulling out, and this year was hoping to bring the tournament some good news."

Davenport has had a good year, especially in July when she reached the Wimbledon final. She came close to winning her fourth major and her first Wimbledon title since 1999, but lost a lengthy three-set match to Venus Williams.

The loss stung, but Davenport, who is in her 12th year on the WTA Tour, put it in perspective.

"The first week is pretty tough to be that close to something you want to achieve so badly," Davenport said. "Then life kind of slips back into its pace again and you go about doing everything. It's not something you ever truly forget, but I don't think it's necessarily something you want to forget either. It was a huge highlight of my career, and to be a part of a final like that and the level of tennis involved, I still have fond memories of it."

Davenport, who was also bothered with a sore back in the Wimbledon final, took time off. But she was eager to get back on the court, she said, and after 10 days of doing nothing, she began practicing and tried to return in the Stanford, Calif., tournament.

"I probably came back too hard, too soon," Davenport said. "I didn't have much choice but to shut everything back down again and slowly work my way back."

She also pulled out of Los Angeles and San Diego, both of which she won last year.

"It was frustrating to miss all the tournaments in California, where I live," she said. "But injuries happen and you have to get through them."

Davenport is looking forward to her first match in New Haven and preparing for the U.S. Open. As for losing her No.1 ranking to Maria Sharapova today, she again put it in perspective.

"It's such a cyclical thing," Davenport said. "I had a great run this time, and I look forward to doing well here and in the Open and maybe getting it back."

foreva lindsay
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

mmmhmmm Jan Mike :drool: :drool: :drool: :lol:

alibaby
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
They played together at WTT or in mixed somewhere too.

Davenport Yet To Close The Deal
August 22, 2005
By ROBERTO GONZALEZ, Courant Staff Writer NEW HAVEN - Lindsay Davenport cringed. She had just been reminded she has reached four finals in six years at the Pilot Pen without winning a title.

"It's funny. It's a great statistic, but a horrible one," Davenport said. "Something happens to me on that final Saturday where I haven't been able to come through. I look forward to hopefully changing that. I have a lot of tournament victories on hardcourts in the United States, and I think this is one of the few I do not have."

ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport is the top seed at the Pilot Pen and gets a bye into the second round. Main draw play began Sunday for the women, and Davenport will play Tuesday at 7 p.m. She will face the winner of the Tatiana Golovin-Kveta Peschke match.

Davenport last played the Pilot Pen in 2003 and was forced to withdraw with a foot injury in the second set of the championship match against Jennifer Capriati.

After being highly promoted before last year's Pilot Pen, Davenport withdrew at the last minute with left wrist tendinitis, which disappointed tournament officials. She was determined not to risk a repeat of that scene.

The 2005 Pilot Pen is her first tournament since she was forced to retire with back problems in a second-round match at the Bank of the West a month ago. . She made sure she was 100 percent before entering the Pilot Pen three weeks ago.

"I didn't want to end up doing the same thing," Davenport said. "I felt guilty last year for pulling out, and this year was hoping to bring the tournament some good news."

Davenport has had a good year, especially in July when she reached the Wimbledon final. She came close to winning her fourth major and her first Wimbledon title since 1999, but lost a lengthy three-set match to Venus Williams.

The loss stung, but Davenport, who is in her 12th year on the WTA Tour, put it in perspective.

"The first week is pretty tough to be that close to something you want to achieve so badly," Davenport said. "Then life kind of slips back into its pace again and you go about doing everything. It's not something you ever truly forget, but I don't think it's necessarily something you want to forget either. It was a huge highlight of my career, and to be a part of a final like that and the level of tennis involved, I still have fond memories of it."

Davenport, who was also bothered with a sore back in the Wimbledon final, took time off. But she was eager to get back on the court, she said, and after 10 days of doing nothing, she began practicing and tried to return in the Stanford, Calif., tournament.

"I probably came back too hard, too soon," Davenport said. "I didn't have much choice but to shut everything back down again and slowly work my way back."

She also pulled out of Los Angeles and San Diego, both of which she won last year.

"It was frustrating to miss all the tournaments in California, where I live," she said. "But injuries happen and you have to get through them."

Davenport is looking forward to her first match in New Haven and preparing for the U.S. Open. As for losing her No.1 ranking to Maria Sharapova today, she again put it in perspective.

"It's such a cyclical thing," Davenport said. "I had a great run this time, and I look forward to doing well here and in the Open and maybe getting it back."so happy to have you back,linny-baby!! :kiss: :hearts: now lets rumble new haven!! :bounce:

alfonsojose
Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:34 PM
Lindsay is back :boxing: :yeah:

Jan
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:46 PM
oohhh lucky you jan :)
have fun!

Thanks. I should add that I will be watching it on SKY Sports here in England, I am not actually going , although I did go to Flushing Meadows in 1999 and saw Lindsay play on Arthur Ashe Court - it was fabulous.

lindsayno1
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
i wish. id love to go to the us open and watch lindsay play.

LethalLindsay
Aug 24th, 2005, 06:36 AM
I don't think Jan Michael is doing anything with a woman anytime soon! LOL. I always loved the fact that when the camera pans on his players box the commenattors also say " that's JMG's dad/coach and his "special" friend" makes me laugh everytime! (Although his boyfriend is waaaay cute as well!

RayRob
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I don't think Jan Michael is doing anything with a woman anytime soon! LOL. I always loved the fact that when the camera pans on his players box the commenattors also say " that's JMG's dad/coach and his "special" friend" makes me laugh everytime! (Although his boyfriend is waaaay cute as well!

:bigcry: so the rumours ARE true!?......aww, he's still lovely :D :kiss: :hearts:

-Rache

foreva lindsay
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM

he cant be gay...he just cant *sobs* :sobbing:

Elldee
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, 'cause you lot would be in if he was straight :p

RayRob
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM

:lol: :haha:

LethalLindsay
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM

"Go Grand Slam........it's your birthday........HEY, HO!!!!!!!!!!"