PDA

View Full Version : Should I Quit My Job?....Today.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM
Been here 11 years. I hate it. I absolutely do NOT enjoy coming here at all. I make very decent money, but I'm not happy here at all. I have no other jobs lined up but all I can think of is putting in my 2 week notice, and doing so TODAY.

Anyone wanna talk me into/outta doing this?

skanky~skanketta
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
hold up!get something else lined up. wuit at the end of the year, then you can get your yearly bonus.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM
Yearly bonus? :shrug: We've been without a union contract since 2002. Nobody has gotten raises since then. If I do quit, I can pull my retirement out and live quite nicely for at least 5-6 months.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
don't quit till you have a good backup. u dont want to end up unemployed.

^bibi^
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
wait til you've got something else...

*Karen*
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM
I agree with them wait til you find another job. If you've lasted 11 years you can last another few months until you get something better lined up.

Meesh
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Yikes, make sure you have something lined up. It also depends on what industry your in and what skills you have. You might not be able to find something.

I haven't checked my lotto numbers (22 million) :eek: Maybe I can quit with no notice!!!!

bionic71
Aug 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
:hug: for you doll.

GBFH
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM
yes, quit, and come down to dallas.

or...finish school, then quit, and work in dallas :)

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
yes, quit, and come down to dallas.

or...finish school, then quit, and work in dallas :)
oh and then we are going to be one big happy family. :)

GBFH
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
absolutely :lol:

Dava
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:05 PM
Nah I think you should look for other work, but just walking could leave you with nothing to do, and sitting about on your arse all day not doing much could make ya really depressed and stuff...even more so then being at work. Everyone gets days like this i suppose, but if its serious then look for another job, but dont do anything stupid.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
Chuck, Wifey, and me in Dallas... that'd be a blast!!

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Nah I think you should look for other work, but just walking could leave you with nothing to do, and sitting about on your arse all day not doing much could make ya really depressed and stuff...even more so then being at work. Everyone gets days like this i suppose, but if its serious then look for another job, but dont do anything stupid.
I'm already really depressed, can't get much worse ;)

CooCooCachoo
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
What qualifications do you have?

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM
Chuck, Wifey, and me in Dallas... that'd be a blast!!
Do I get to just go out and date without having to work? Or even better. Study. I miss studying actually :o.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:28 PM
Do I get to just go out and date without having to work? Or even better. Study. I miss studying actually :o.
Me and wifey will adopt you and get your ass in school! But no blowin the teachers. :armed:

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Me and wifey will adopt you and get your ass in school! But no blowin the teachers. :armed:
:woohoo:. Can I bring Ant along and well, tie him down or something so he won't leave.

And how do you think I can pass all my classes? :tape:

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'll tutor you. I'm hella smart. And yes Ant can come... but you can only play with him if you pass your classes. :p

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:43 PM
You realise that you are going to tutor someone who is sucking badly at studies, right? Lol. And besides, don't you need to work? :p And also make sure Ant doesn't escape or something.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
we'll keep Ant tethered in the basement. I'll work and learn you some education.
It won't be too taxing for me to work at the Golden Arches and pull in some food stamps. lol Actually with my 401, I'd be rich boots for a few months. it'd be hella beneficial monetarily for me to quit...at least for a short time

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM
:haha: sounds like a great plan to me. so long i get to date + study + whore with Ant + no working.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:58 PM
sounds good to me... just as long as i don't have to hear slapping noises and stuffs.

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:03 PM
:tape: I dont know what you are talking about. Most prolly just wind or something.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:05 PM
:o i don't wanna hear about no sexing or hear no kinda sexing noises. i'm an innocent old man over here.

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:13 PM
innocent? no. old? yes. :haha:

just listen to radio or osmething. there's nothing i can do about it.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
pfffttt, i am innocent.
as far as noises... i'll just keep the tv extra loud. lol

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM
don't you have a "wifey" to attend to? moreover, if you are innocent, then this world is basically filled with angels and stuffs. :haha:

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
wifey'll be sleeping. ;)
you have no idea how innocent i have been for a long time. i wanted to be un-innocent but the last guy i like didn't like me, lives a million miles away, and has a b/f. sucks too, cuz he's super cute. like more hot than i thought. wherein lies my problem of him not liking me. him hot + me not = shit outta luck for me. l ol

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM
:hug:

i'm giving ant one more chance but after that, you can have me. :angel:

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM
Hon, don't quit when you're depressed, because that way, you're both unemployed AND depressed.
Not everyone can pocket a few mill for doing a tobacco ad in Japan, hon, find something else asap and then split!

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM
:hug:

i'm giving ant one more chance but after that, you can have me. :angel:
:spit: lol funny boy

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Hon, don't quit when you're depressed, because that way, you're both unemployed AND depressed.
Not everyone can pocket a few mill for doing a tobacco ad in Japan, hon, find something else asap and then split!
If I wait til I'm un-depressed, I'll never leave ;)

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM
:spit: lol funny boy
being very serious *serious dace*

creepy stalker
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:53 PM
anyway, i'm off to jog and then work. talk to you another time nathey. :angel:

remember, i'm here for ya to bitch and stuffs. one pm away. ;)

kiwifan
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:01 PM
i know this is going to sound stupid and completely irresponsible, nate. but here goes.

leave it. if your job is making you nuts, then calculate what you have coming to you, hand in your resignation and leave. life is much too short to spend even one moment of it doing something that kills you.

take your money and any savings you have, figure out your living expenses for a few months (preferably at least 6 months) and take out what you need to minimally live comfortably for 6 months. then take what's left, and blow it on some good travel. get out, travel for a month. doesn't need to be extravagant or anything. just enough so that you know that for once in your life, you did something you really, really, really wanted to do. after that month, come home and you have 5 months to either find a new job or get back to school. but you won't regret that you took 30 days to find....your own personal joy.

too many people get all wrapped up in the money. how will i afford it? where will the money come from? blah. but you know what? not all of life is about money. you can have all the money in the world and be miserable.

plus...if you wait while you look for another job, chances are it'll be something in the same line you're doing now. is that what you want? really? there are tons of people who start new careers in their 30's and are finding that life is more rewarding when you step out of the norm, fuck the status quo and just do it. ask yourself what brings you joy. ask yourself what you really want to do and where your inner talents lie. not just the talents that bring you money. but the talents that bring you joy. because if you don't do that, you'll find yourself in another job and going nuts there too within a matter of time. you need to be happy first. everything else comes second.

like i said. life is short. before you know it it's gone. get out there and do something completely irresponsible for one month of your life. one month. and you'll never regret it because at least you can say to yourself, "wow! i had the greatest time doing....when i wanted to...on my own terms...in my own way."

just do it nate. let the chips fall where they may and for once break out of this stupid mold that most people get themselves stuck into where money defines your life. let joy define your life. you'll find that everything else will naturally fall into place.

Agreed, that's what I did back in '97.

Left the law firm in Atlanta moved to Cali and never looked back and I've never been happier.

Shit, time to play some tennis :wavey:

Good luck whatever you do.

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:05 PM
If I wait til I'm un-depressed, I'll never leave ;)

It's a tough economy, hon, you could be depressed and working at McDonald's, that's all I'm saying. I want the best for you, hon! But as my signature reflects, I did grow up in a lot of poverty, so my ideas on money aren't perhaps rational.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:29 PM
Bri - you rock. I have to contain my thoughts and figure out how to properly respond.... but your post is honestly the most significant thing I've read ever. -- for me personally anyway.

Maryamator
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Find a better job first then quit:p

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
i know this is going to sound stupid and completely irresponsible, nate. but here goes.

leave it. if your job is making you nuts, then calculate what you have coming to you, hand in your resignation and leave. life is much too short to spend even one moment of it doing something that kills you.

take your money and any savings you have, figure out your living expenses for a few months (preferably at least 6 months) and take out what you need to minimally live comfortably for 6 months. then take what's left, and blow it on some good travel. get out, travel for a month. doesn't need to be extravagant or anything. just enough so that you know that for once in your life, you did something you really, really, really wanted to do. after that month, come home and you have 5 months to either find a new job or get back to school. but you won't regret that you took 30 days to find....your own personal joy.

too many people get all wrapped up in the money. how will i afford it? where will the money come from? blah. but you know what? not all of life is about money. you can have all the money in the world and be miserable.

plus...if you wait while you look for another job, chances are it'll be something in the same line you're doing now. is that what you want? really? there are tons of people who start new careers in their 30's and are finding that life is more rewarding when you step out of the norm, fuck the status quo and just do it. ask yourself what brings you joy. ask yourself what you really want to do and where your inner talents lie. not just the talents that bring you money. but the talents that bring you joy. because if you don't do that, you'll find yourself in another job and going nuts there too within a matter of time. you need to be happy first. everything else comes second.

like i said. life is short. before you know it it's gone. get out there and do something completely irresponsible for one month of your life. one month. and you'll never regret it because at least you can say to yourself, "wow! i had the greatest time doing....when i wanted to...on my own terms...in my own way."

just do it nate. let the chips fall where they may and for once break out of this stupid mold that most people get themselves stuck into where money defines your life. let joy define your life. you'll find that everything else will naturally fall into place.

Great post, but for me, where joy can't live, money might as well!

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:36 PM
Great post, but for me, where joy can't live, money might as well!
I used to think that way. I'd honestly rather be poor but happy.
I mean, I wanna be able to eat and have shelter... but I don't need 96% of the "stuff" I have. I'd give it all back to be truly happy for one moment.

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:41 PM
I used to think that way. I'd honestly rather be poor but happy.
I mean, I wanna be able to eat and have shelter... but I don't need 96% of the "stuff" I have. I'd give it all back to be truly happy for one moment.

Hon, how unhappy are you? I'm not truly happy at all moments, but it's often enough to justify what I do to earn the bucks, though I wish it were a lot more often.
If you are really unhappy at all moments and this isn't like from a couple of bad weeks, well, then, split from the job and take a month off and live. I didn't know you were hating it that much.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM
I hate everything everyday. I fake a smile when I have to, but I do so with disdain and contempt.

My happy pills don't work anymore.

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:02 PM
I hate everything everyday. I fake a smile when I have to, but I do so with disdain and contempt.

My happy pills don't work anymore.

See, I thought you were having just a bad week or something. Quit and/or take some time off, then. Have you not had a vacation in awhile, maybe just take a long vacation and don't chuck the job yet? Once Helen went a whole year with no vacation and she was ready to hock her Jubilee and live in a cardboard box for the sake of "happiness." But then a week off, I was ok again.

AjdeNate!
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:03 PM
I went away in April, it was nice/short. I'm hoping for an October trip.... but we'll see. I just need a lot of changes. And I think the job is the biggest/first one that needs changing.

Helen Lawson
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
I went away in April, it was nice/short. I'm hoping for an October trip.... but we'll see. I just need a lot of changes. And I think the job is the biggest/first one that needs changing.

Then do it without further delay.

Giuliano
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:46 PM
I don't know what would make me happy. I'm screwed.

nikita771
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:55 PM
I guess you probably need to think about what you might like to do. Have you ever thought about starting a home based business. There are plenty of things out there. I'm familiar with a few. I say - grab a paper, find the employment ads, and start scouring. If you have any sick time, call in sick tomorrow and spend the day just enjoying being away and trying to set up interviews. Chances are you can find another job in a couple of weeks. It'll be so much sweeter leaving and knowing that you have something better waiting for you.