PDA

View Full Version : Injuries the Blame is with the Tennis Organizations

Zauber
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:12 AM
The Tennis Organizations have pressured the players to play too much.
They have increased the number of tournaments that the players count for their tournament entry rankings to 17. This is way too much.
They had it at 15 i think.
Originally it was even less
Perhaps it should be at the best 12.
At 17 players play 25 tournaments in order to discard their worsed results.
Originally in Men's tennis they tried to pressure Born Borg to play more.
One contributing reason for his stop playing at one point and a contributing factor in his premature retirement.

money money sell sell

I know its a business but I am a sprorts fan
too idealistic i guess

money money makes the world go around but has some bad effects

oddkayla
Aug 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM
I think it is short sighted to say that requiring players to play 17 tournaments is too much. I mean really, look at it this way:

For a top female player, a schedule more or less along these lines:

Sidney
Aus Open

Open Gaz or Proximus Diamond
One of those in the Middle East

California Tier 1 or Miami

Charleston
Amelia Island

Rome or Berlin

French Open

Wimbledon

Stanford
Acura or Rogers

US Open

Moscow

Filderstaad

Philadelphia

Year End

Obviously spacing would have to be taken into consideration. If you take those 17 tournaments, 8 weeks for the slams, 13 weeks for the other tournaments, then its 21 weeks. Tennis players are independent contractors. They play for money and glory, but they should be smart about it. the only argument i think is right is that the season ends too late in the year. A end of around October would allow people to rest, and start training for new season.

But then again the same people do not rest. They spend the whole time playing exhibitions for money!

per4ever
Aug 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Look at for example the Williams sisters and Justine.. they don't play a full schedule.. nobody is obliged to play so many tournaments.