PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Serve at the 2004 YEC

Geisha
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Was last year's YEC the best Serena has served?

In five matches, she smacked 42 aces. 14 against Lindsay and 11 against Mauresmo, alone...

RenaSlam.
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM
She was serving well, and hard. :eek:

She hit one that was 129 MPH :worship: (the fastest I have ever seen on the women's tour) but it was out. :mad:

Paialii
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I'm not someone that has memorized stats, however I do recall her serving pretty well that week. I think rather than ace count, the best I've seen her serve was against Martina Hingis at the 2001 US Open semifinals in the second set where she had a 100% serving percentage and moved the serve all around that box.

But as for aces in a tournament, not sure. :)

Volcana
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Was last year's YEC the best Serena has served?

In five matches, she smacked 42 aces. 14 against Lindsay and 11 against Mauresmo, alone...You didn't see the final, did you? Serena couldn't raise her arm above her head. All she was doing was spinning serves in the 60-70 mph range AT BEST. That match (the final) never should have gone three sets.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:41 AM
hmmm very interesting. I actually hadn't noticed Serena's serve was that strong at the YEC. Truth is, Serena's serve, when she still wants to, is the best in the game.

The question is, why doesn't Serena want to serve like that in a consistant basis, and if she does want to, why doesn't she??

her serve still has the best disguise, placement and speed imo. Her second serve was very deep and difficult to attack as well. She's still got it, hope she starts serving like her old self once she is healthy again!

Geisha
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I'm not someone that has memorized stats, however I do recall her serving pretty well that week. I think rather than ace count, the best I've seen her serve was against Martina Hingis at the 2001 US Open semifinals in the second set where she had a 100% serving percentage and moved the serve all around that box.

But as for aces in a tournament, not sure. :)

Yeah. In the second set, Martina was able to get back only three first serves- she had sixteen chances. :tape:

Paialii
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:43 AM
You didn't see the final, did you? Serena couldn't raise her arm above her head. All she was doing was spinning serves in the 60-70 mph range AT BEST. That match (the final) never should have gone three sets.

Uh, hello? She was severely injured and probably should have retired that match but chose to play on. Up until the second set in that match she was serving beautifully.

Geisha
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:43 AM
You didn't see the final, did you? Serena couldn't raise her arm above her head. All she was doing was spinning serves in the 60-70 mph range AT BEST. That match (the final) never should have gone three sets.

She was injured in the last two sets of that final. I'm talking about the whole tournament in general. Had she not been injured, we would have continued hitting aces. ;)

VRULES
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:49 AM
She was serving well, and hard. :eek:

She hit one that was 129 MPH :worship: (the fastest I have ever seen on the women's tour) but it was out. :mad:

True, but at AO 2003 Venus against Hantuchova hit a 133 that just missed, she also hit one at 130 at USO versus Serena that hit the baseline.

If Serena was as tall as Venus she would easily reach 135!!! It is amazing she can get 126, she certainly has been going for it, while Venus has toned it down.

RenaSlam.
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:00 AM
True, but at AO 2003 Venus against Hantuchova hit a 133 that just missed, she also hit one at 130 at USO versus Serena that hit the baseline.

If Serena was as tall as Venus she would easily reach 135!!! It is amazing she can get 126, she certainly has been going for it, while Venus has toned it down.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :worship: :worship: :worship:

That's insane!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:03 AM
I think that's the reason why she got injured at the YEC. She was serving so hard during that entire tournament. Plus the balls were really heavy.

LindsayRocks89
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:11 AM
maybe she served alot of aces, but idk if anyone else noticed but as 2004 progressed, serenas serve really went downhill, the motion didn't look as smooth, and especially this year in 2005 it really doesn't look the same at all, but i'm sure once shes completly healthy it will be back to the way it was. i do remember in later parts of the match of the finals in australia she was serving like she did pre injury(2003 and before) and the second serve was there again and was kicking up really high.

Geisha
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:13 AM
maybe she served alot of aces, but idk if anyone else noticed but as 2004 progressed, serenas serve really went downhill, the motion didn't look as smooth, and especially this year in 2005 it really doesn't look the same at all, but i'm sure once shes completly healthy it will be back to the way it was. i do remember in later parts of the match of the finals in australia she was serving like she did pre injury(2003 and before) and the second serve was there again and was kicking up really high.

It was. Against Lindsay at the AO, she was serving awesome in those last two sets, even though Lindsay didn't put up much of a fight.

jan.
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:16 AM
On the stats alone she seemed to be serving well compared to her other matches in 2004. I still have the Serena Vs. Maria Video on my comp.

Geisha
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:16 AM
On the stats alone she seemed to be serving well compared to her other matches in 2004. I still have the Serena Vs. Maria Video on my comp.
Do you really? Can you send in to me on PM?

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:30 AM
...The question is, why doesn't Serena want to serve like that in a consistant basis, and if she does want to, why doesn't she??

her serve still has the best disguise, placement and speed imo. Her second serve was very deep and difficult to attack as well. She's still got it, hope she starts serving like her old self once she is healthy again!

It is not matter of whether she wants to serve that way or not.
Of course she wants to.
But in tennis, just line in any other sports, rythm counts for a lot for good execution. And rythm comes with a lot pratice of the same shots or play.
Almost drill-like exercise.
The problem here is, since Serena has been injured, her execution has been lacking because she cannot pratice the same way she used. And if she cannot pratice those plays or shots as needed, she cannot execute them properly in matches. She probably tried, but it may not have worked so she abandoned trying. Now she is being broken by people who could even return her serve a couple of years ago, Because not only it has lost power, but it has become predictable,

Geisha
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:32 AM
It is like Venus. A Venus who is able to practice on a good surface, for weeks and weeks at a time, on a specific shot, is a Venus that wins. A la Wimbledon 2005.