PDA

View Full Version : What must Clijsters do to take the #4 seed at the US Open?

alwayshingis
Aug 19th, 2005, 01:23 AM
I know it is possible for her to achieve it. Does anyone want to calculate exactly what she would have to do to get there? If so, it would be appreciated.

crouching
Aug 19th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Do the mathematics yourself. Or if you can't handle the mathematics, then figure it out logically.

If Kim has to jump from No. 8 to No. 4, then she has to overtake No. 4 Kuznetsova, No. 5 Justine, No. 6 Dementieva, No. 7 Serena.

All except Justine are left in the Toronto tournament. So logically, Kim has to gain as many points as possible, so probably make the finals or win the title to get to No. 4.

Justine is defending points from the Olympics. However, she may gain some points by winning the title beating Mauresmo and Kim on the way, so she will probably need to lose a bit earlier for Kim to have a chance for No. 4.

densuprun
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Answer:

Here is what must happen:
1. She must win the title.
2. She must beat someone other than Vaidisova in the finals.

3A. If no walkovers then these opponents will give her enough points:
Pennetta - Dulko - Mauresmo
Pennetta - Myskina - (Mauresmo, JHH, Petrova)

3B. If there is a walkover, there is only one option to get enough points:
Pennetta (walkover) - Myskina - Mauresmo

tatianaishott22
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Kim Will probly win this Tournament ..but if she would of played Ana i dont think she would ... Kim Got Lucky

densuprun
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:19 AM
It would ne nice to see Kim as 4th seed at USO. Otherwise top seeds could face not only JHH but also Kim in the USO QFs. I don't think either Maria or Lindsay look forward to that opportunity.

densuprun
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Kim Will probly win this Tournament ..but if she would of played Ana i dont think she would ... Kim Got Lucky

Well, had she played Ana, she would get 23 additional points ;) Then conditions 1. and 2. would still be valid while 3A. would be much simpler: any 3 opponents other than Vaidisova.

DragonFlame
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:29 AM
she has to win the title to get it though, and if she faces justine in the final i'm not sure if she's gonna get it. justine can be very pursuasive in finals :devil:

densuprun
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Well, if it is Pennetta - Dulko - JHH (not an unlikely scenario) then, as far as 4th seed is concerned, it wouldn't matter whether Kim wins or loses the final. Either way she won't get enough points. If she wins she will end up 9 points shy of her target.

DragonFlame
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Well, if it is Pennetta - Dulko - JHH (not an unlikely scenario) then, as far as 4th seed is concerned, it wouldn't matter whether Kim wins or loses the final. Either way she won't get enough points. If she wins she will end up 9 points shy of her target.

yeah for kim a lot depends on the dulko-myskinamatch, cause i have the feeling she will face justine in the final. the first belgianfinal since ao, that would really be a great final. :) everyone pray! :angel:

iPatty
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Venus is playing so I guess, there nothing she can do.

Venus will be fresh and ready this time, and riding high from her Wimby victory.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Venus :rolleyes: :confused: .

DragonFlame
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Venus is playing so I guess, there nothing she can do.

Venus will be fresh and ready this time, and riding high from her Wimby victory.

my god, can't you stick your ego elsewhere. this is about clijsters getting the 4th seed, make one of those stupid 'who wins the usopen?' threads if you want to brag about venus :rolleyes:

hablo
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:57 AM

:haha::o

Rub
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:00 AM
i didn't know it was posssible... kim must win this then...

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:02 AM
my god, can't you stick your ego elsewhere. this is about clijsters getting the 4th seed, make one of those stupid 'who wins the usopen?' threads if you want to brag about venus :rolleyes:

Sorry, I deleted my posts. Sincerely, I did not realize the premise of the original post. Thank you for reminding me.

But be nice next time

tennisbum79
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:13 AM
She has to win the title and beat JHH on the way

rikvanlooy
Aug 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM
she has to win the title to get it though, and if she faces justine in the final i'm not sure if she's gonna get it. justine can be very pursuasive in finals :devil:

I am hoping for an all-Belgian final, but I think Kim stands a lot more chance against Mauresmo (normally Aélie gets crushed by Kim).

I haven't seen a lot of players beating the crap out of Justine in a final since 2003.

Everybody was saying that it was due to the lack op opposition (eg. Kim in the slam finals), but I have seen even bigger blowouts in her other finals (Mauresmo at the Olympics, Pierce at RG, Dokic, ....).

Justine is awesome in finals. She hasn't lost a important final in three years (slams, olympics, TI, ...) and she has played a lot of them.

Ceecor
Aug 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Justine is awesome in finals. She hasn't lost a important final in three years (slams, olympics, TI, ...) and she has played a lot of them.

indeed, justine can carry my cash in final.