PDA

View Full Version : Hopkins, Harkleroad Advance In Bronx

tennisIlove09
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Hopkins, Harkleroad Advance In Bronx
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/HopkinsgoodMarcusLewis-Price.jpg
Photo: Marcus Lewis-Price By Tennis Week
08/18/2005

Jenny Hopkins defeated Australia's Evie Dominikovic, 6-3, 6-2, and 2002 champion Ashley Harkleroad held off Katerina Bohmova of the Czech Republic, 5-7,
7-6(3), 6-4 in Wednesday's opening-round action of the GHI Bronx Tennis Classic at Crotona Park in the Bronx.

The $100,000 GHI Bronx Tennis Classic continues daily through Sunday, August 21st with free admission to every session except for Sunday's final. Main draw action gets underway daily at 11 a.m. Admission to the first eight days of the tournament is free. Tickets for Sunday's 11 a.m. final are $10 with free admission for children 12 and under.

The 13th annual GHI Bronx Tennis Classic features a 32-player men's and women's singles draws with competitors representing more than 20 countries.

In other first-round women's results:

Anne Kremer (LUX) def. Severine Beltrame (FRA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
Maret Ani (EST) def. Ekaterina Bychkova (RUS) 7-6(4), 6-1
Natalie Grandin (RSA) def. Anne Keothavong (GBR) 6-4, 6-3
Vilmarie Castellvi (PUR) def. Ting Li (CHN) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
Julia Schruff (GER) def. Katerina Bondarenko (UKR) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6(7)
Sybille Bammer (AUT) def. Megan Bradley (Columbia, Mo) 7-6(2), 6-2
Yulia Beygelzimer (UKR) def. Anastasia Yakimova (BLR) 6-0, 6-0
Mara Santangelo (ITA) def. Sunitha Rao (Bradenton, FL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
Angelika Bachmann (GER) def. Elise Tamaela (NED) 7-6(6), 6-0
Brian Vahaly and Scott Lipsky were the lone American men to advance on Wednesday. Vahaly beat Britain's Jamie Delgado, 6-1, 6-1; Lipsky, who now lives in Huntingon Beach, California, edged Alex Bogomolov, Jr., 7-6(4), 7-6(3).

In other opening-round men's results:

Kristian Pless (DEN) def. Cecil Mamiit (Los Angeles, CA) 6-3, 6-4
Lukas Dlouhy (CZE) def. Ivo Heuberger (SUI) 6-2, 6-4
Marc Gicquel (FRA) def. Phillip King (Long Beach, CA) 6-3, 6-3
In second-round men's results:

Nicolas Mahut (FRA) def. Eric Taino (Los Angeles, CA) 7-6(1), 6-3
Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) def. Sam Querrey (Thousand Oaks, CA) 1-6, 6-1, - 6-3
Thierry Ascione (FRA) def. David Sherwood (GBR) 7-6(2), 6-4
For more information, please visit NYJTL.org (http://www.nyjtl.org/tournaments/bronx/index.html).

Piotr'ek
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:29 AM
and where is ashley picture? :p

Paldias
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Ashley :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Congrats Pebbles, Anne and JENNY "FROM DA COURTS"... ;)

crazyroberto6767
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Sunitha Rao, who lost in the first round, came up as a top junior at about the same time as Ashley right? Good job Ashley and Jenny :D. I've liked Jenny since I saw her play with Hingis in WTT :D.

auntie janie
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:41 AM
UPDATE: this post was copied/pasted from the Challenger thread. Thank you for the info, vogus! :kiss:

vogus posted :

"full second round results (w/o scores)

Schruff d Miller
[B]Harkelroad d Beygelzimer
Nooni d Ani
Pin d Baltacha
Bammer d Worle
Santalangelo d Castellvi
Bachmann d Hopkins
Kremer d Grandin"

vettipooh
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Attended the Bronx Classics Tues. and today, and I must say we had so much fun being so close to the players. Crotona Park has been completely transformed. There is a make-shift players lounge/restaurant/cafe, right in the open. you can see them sitting and eating and socializing. They walk around the park freely and are very friendly.We were watching Grandin vs K. Bonderenko on tuesday and 3 players came and sat right next to us and started talking. At first we had no idea who they were, but after asking, they were Megan Bradley, Kristi Miller, and Jenny Hopkins. They were quite tickled signing our programs, and we wished them luck in doubles and at the open. Grandin was not so friendly after she lost, and would not sign any autographs, but Bonderenko was just really nice, and so were Claudine Schaul, Yvonne Meusburger, Maria Fernanda Alves, Thomas Blake, Brian Wilson, and Angelika Bachmann. Today we enjoyed Ashley Hackleroad vs Yulia Beygelzimer on court 1, followed by Elena Baltacha vs Camille Pin. All four were super friendly and chatty. My friend talked to Camille in French ( bootleg as Venus would say) and we were cracking up, but Camille sure appreciated it. We kept thinking she's pregnant because her tummy is so big, but I guess she isn't.....She's real short in person, though, but great personality. Yulia is a cutie, and Ashley spoke with us for about 3 min. on court. I asked her about her injuries and she said she was thankful to be over them now and feeling fit. Elena is prettier in person than in her pics, and even though she lost, she was quite polite :) and signed everyone's program, while we were all wishing her good luck at the open......there were 7 of us. I also caught a bit of Julia Schruff vs Kristi Miller on Center court which is right next to court 1. Julia stopped to pose for pictures and sign for everyone. Kristi was pissed. She wouldn't sign. Grabbed a drink and walked to the back of the court which was actually open park grounds, and was crying. I felt badly for her, but I was glad I had gotten an autograph on Tuesday.Bronx Classics is great......free everyday except Sunday which is my next day back for the finals.