PDA

View Full Version : New Haven latest info *Molik to play doubles with Morariu*

spiceboy
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
An Early Return For Dementieva

August 17, 2005
By ROBERTO GONZALEZ, Courant Staff Writer
NEW HAVEN -- Elena Dementieva sounded like a tourist Tuesday.

The sixth-ranked player skipped the Rogers Cup in Toronto this week to come to New Haven early and get ready for the Pilot Pen, visit Yale and eat out without worries of being bothered.

Yes, people do recognize me and ask for autographs," Dementieva said at a press conference at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale. "But people are friendly. I don't feel like I need security here."

Dementieva will make her sixth consecutive appearance at the Pilot Pen, which begins Sunday. Qualifying is Friday and Saturday.

She reached the semifinals the past two years.

"For me it's very important to play one week before the U.S. Open and to have this match practice," Dementieva said. "Just to play on the same surface and use the same balls they use at the U.S. Open. Especially after the great results at the U.S. Open last year, I decided I would do the same thing this year."

Dementieva reached the U.S. Open final, losing to fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova.

When Dementieva arrived Tuesday, she had not seen the list of players in the Pilot Pen field and was surprised to see Kuznetsova's name.

"Maybe we'll have a redo of the U.S. Open final," tournament director Anne Worcester said.

Dementieva shook her head and laughed.

"Hopefully we're in a different part of the draw," Dementieva said. "I think it's going to be a good draw. So many tough players are coming this year."

Venus Unlikely To Commit

Hopes for Venus Williams committing to the Pilot Pen are fading. Williams' agent, Carlos Fleming, said Williams is still recovering from the flu, which forced her to withdraw from the Rogers Cup.

"Unfortunately it's looking unlikely," he said. "She is recovering, but just getting back on court."

Three wild cards remain for the draw and the deadline is Thursday at 4 p.m.

Francesca Schiavone of Italy withdrew from the tournament with a left knee injury, meaning top-ranked Lindsay Davenport has moved into the draw.

Guillermo Canas officially withdrew from the men's tournament after being suspended for two years by the ATP Tour for testing positive for a diuretic.

Gael Monfils of France, the No.1 junior last year, will take his spot in the draw.

tennislover
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:35 PM
ty for the news

spiceboy
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM
Back To 100 Percent

http://www.courant.com/images/standard/blackpix.gif Wild Card Molik Finds Her Balance

August 20, 2005
By ROBERTO GONZALEZ, Courant Staff Writer

NEW HAVEN -- Alicia Molik looked at the crowd, smiled and said: "I'm here because I would like to give myself a good draw."

Molik, ranked No.13, was kidding, but she did participate in the women's main draw selection at the Pilot Pen Friday at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.

The draw for the men's tournament is today. Qualifying for the women began Friday; men's qualifying begins today.

Molik was thrilled when she learned she received one of three wild cards into the tournament.

"I was over the moon," she said. "It's pretty important to get a late tournament before the U.S. Open. To get the opportunity to play here a week before the U.S. Open I think is a big confidence boost. It will be great to have a few quality matches under my belt heading into a Grand Slam."

The women's field includes nine of the top 15 players. The top four seeds, who receive byes into the second round, are top-ranked Lindsay Davenport, No. 3 Amelie Mauresmo, No. 4 Svetlana Kuznetsova and No. 6 Elena Dementieva.

Davenport might have the toughest draw among the top seeds; she could face No. 25 Tatiana Golovin in the second round. Golovin, who got into the main draw after Evgenia Linetskaya withdrew because of a stomach illness, plays a qualifier in the first round.

Mauresmo's toughest challenge might not come until the quarterfinals, where she could meet No.10 Nadia Petrova.

Molik is happy to be playing again. An inner ear infection affected her vision and balance, keeping her out for much of the year.

She is Australia's top women's player and reached No.8 in February. Molik started the season by winning her fifth career title in Sydney, then reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, the semifinals in Antwerp, Belgium, and the finals in Doha, Qatar, before she caught the ear infection in April.

"The timing couldn't have been worse, basically," Molik said. "I was playing the best tennis of my life. I was struck down with quite an unusual illness."

She tried a comeback the first week of June in Birmingham, England, but lost in the second round to Laura Granville. She took more time off but did not begin feeling 100 percent until about two weeks ago, she said.

Molik opens the Pilot Pen against Gisela Dulko, who she defeated in Miami in March. Molik is in the same bracket as Dementieva, and would face her in the quarterfinals.

"In this type of field where you have the top four or five players in the world and you've got many from the top 15, any draw is a tough one," Molik said.

She is also playing doubles at the Pilot Pen with Corina Morariu.

JenFan75
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:25 AM
Win it Lena! <3

Mr_Molik
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:20 AM
wooo go alicia

Alicia Rocks
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:23 AM
Alicia and Corina how interesting :)

RayRob
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Alicia and Corina how interesting :)

I was thinking the same......hopefully this will be good for them and they will do well!

I hope Alicia gets some good match practice to warm her up for the USO - it'd be good to see her back again! Last match I saw her in was the second round of Birmingham.....:sad: sad to say I had to witness that defeat.....

-Rache

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:46 PM
:eek: :woohoo: :woohoo: What an AWESOME team!!! :D :bounce:

Fantastic
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Dulko is in good form after beating Kuznetsova in Toronto. I have a feeling that Molik will struggle, or even lose that one. But that's okay as long as she does well at the US Open. That's the one that really counts. Go, Alicia!!!

auntie janie
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Great to have Alicia back at last. :) And I hope she and Corina can win the doubles title. :hearts:

iPatty
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM
Patty and Corina have been playing doubles together lately but I guess Corina has gotten tired of Patty :o.