PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many injured players????

Rafe306
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
This is really starting to piss me off. What is causing all of this???? :mad:

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM
How can so many players get hurt in a non-contact sport?

"I think recently the style of play has definitely played a role," said Stella Sampras Webster, the women's tennis coach at UCLA. "The girls especially are physical and more aggressive in the past. I think their bodies are not up to the physicality of what they're doing.

"They are overtraining and they're playing probably too much, especially at a young age."

Even the new tour logo looks like an ankle injury waiting to happen, with a silhouetted, pony-tailed player lunging after a shot.

"When Chris Evert played and Martina [Navratilova], no one jumped off the ground to hit a ground stroke," Sampras Webster said. "Now they're so much more explosive."

tenn_ace
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Even the new tour logo looks like an ankle injury waiting to happen, with a silhouetted, pony-tailed player lunging after a shot.

that's Venus, right?;)

*Karen*
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Tennis players always have some kind of injury. Most play but some save themselves for the slams. Most of them will be fine by the US open.

LefandePatty
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:13 PM
'cuz they are too fat :tape:
Kuznetsova, Serena :o

deja_entendu
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:15 PM
spoiled bratty prima donnas

Albireo
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:27 PM
They start playing before their bodies have a chance to mature. Many of the injuries we see now are years in the making.

Among other things....

Chrissie-fan
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Return to standard size framed racquets might be the simple answer,since the current onces are responsible for making the game so physical. But since that probably isn't a realistic option,at least not one that the tennis establishment (let alone the power players that benefit from them) would consider,playing less tournaments on hard courts might solve at least some of the problem. :smoke:

njnetswill
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I think the schedule needs to be revamped. Make it more balanced and organized...and not so random.

blumaroo
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM
The game is physically more demanding.
You won't get away with moonballs or puffy serves.

Calimero377
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:18 PM
This is really starting to piss me off. What is causing all of this???? :mad:

Mindless hard-hit groundies with bad technique.

I'm sort of glad about all this.
Maybe younger players will watch this and develop a better style.
This generation is a lost generation.
Maybe we'll have to wait until Jaz Elle Graf will wreak havoc with the women's tour one day .... :hearts: :worship:

Calimero377
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:19 PM
spoiled bratty prima donnas

:lol: :lol:
That from a Hingis fan!

Good one!!!! :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM
True,but you also see a lot less serve and volleyers. Not so many touch players who use a wide variety of spins and angles. And in most matches you get four unforced errors (and after only two or three strokes at that) for every winner. So,while I agree that the game is physically (much) more demanding,it's also more one dimensional and skill-wise much LESS demanding.....Probably not a popular opinion to have,I know,but it's mine and I'm sticking to it. ;) :smoke:

The game is physically more demanding.
You won't get away with moonballs or puffy serves.

Rafe306
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:21 PM
So what needs to be done? I heard that the size of racquets should change. Anyone agree?

Chrissie-fan
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:29 PM
So what needs to be done? I heard that the size of racquets should change. Anyone agree?

As I said in my first post in this thread,yes I agree. But that will never happen,so we may as well forget about that one......Would be interesting to see so many hard hitters take a nose dive in the rankings though! :devil: :smoke:

arcus
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:30 PM
There are injuries and "injuries".

Some players take a month off for a paper cut or a stubbed toe; or just so they can focus on other "opportunities".

If the prize money was cut by 80%, there would be a LOT less withdrawals........

JennyS
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:09 AM
As I said in my first post in this thread,yes I agree. But that will never happen,so we may as well forget about that one......Would be interesting to see so many hard hitters take a nose dive in the rankings though! :devil: :smoke:

They're never going to go back to the 66 sq in headsizes, but I think having a maximum headsize would make a difference. How about no headsize bigger than 98 sq inches and no longer than 27 1/2 inches?

andrewbroad
Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Why are there so many injured players?
1. Women's tennis is much more physical than it was ten years ago.
2. Overplaying.
3. Too many hardcourt-tournaments that used to be played on carpet!

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

tenn_ace
Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
more grass court and clay court tournaments!

meyerpl
Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
In the case of the Williams sisters, I think it's being lazy and out of shape.

In the case of everybody else, I think it's over-training.

JUST KIDDING.....My point is, I think there's a hell of a lot of Williams fan baiting going on around here. Seriously. Don't take the bait. It just encourages more of the same.

TeamUSA#1
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Not A Long Enough Off Season To Recover And Train

Coupled With An 18 Tournament Divisor Ranking System

meyerpl
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Not A Long Enough Off Season To Recover And Train

Coupled With An 18 Tournament Divisor Ranking System

Last year Myskina played in the Fed Cup Final, Kremlin Cup and YEC in L.A. She pretty much didn't have an off-season and I think it showed in '05.

Timariot
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Why are there so many injured players?
3. Too many hardcourt-tournaments that used to be played on carpet!

We have a winner!

NOTE TO WTA: LESS HARDCOURTS, MORE GREEN CLAY, MORE CARPET. GOT IT?

Talk about too long season is bull - first off, season is actually shorter nowadays and has less events. Second, what the players do with this off-season? That's right, they go on to play exhibitions!

tenn_ace
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
We have a winner!

NOTE TO WTA: LESS HARDCOURTS, MORE GREEN CLAY, MORE CARPET. GOT IT?

Talk about too long season is bull - first off, season is actually shorter nowadays and has less events. Second, what the players do with this off-season? That's right, they go on to play exhibitions!

green clay is not much better than hardcourts imo

Timariot
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
green clay is not much better than hardcourts imo

It's much superior. More fun to play, more fun to watch, and above all, MUCH easier on the joints.

Martian Willow
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:42 PM

Maybe we'll have to wait until Jaz Elle Graf will wreak havoc with the women's tour one day .... :hearts: :worship:

That from a Graf fan! :lol:

Timariot
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
That from a Graf fan! :lol:

Yeah, Steffi, textbook tennis embodied... :devil:

Pengwin
Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM

Jaz Elle will have a double handed backhand and play like Masha.