PDA

View Full Version : Svetlana - stupid or heroic?

Joana
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Svetlana is barely walking out there. She collapses on the ground between the games. A couple of time she looked as if she was going to faint.
And yet she's fighting like a demon and even doing splits :eek: Quite amazing actually. But is it really worth it?

le bon vivant
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:07 PM
I wouldnt want to lose to Gise either...under any circumstances.

ae wowww
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Pics of the splits :D? Poor Sveta :sad: I think it's good she's playing at least... Maybe dangerous, who knows?

Lady
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I don't get it. :shrug:

ampers&
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Stupid.
Why risk injuring yourself even further???
But she is showing a lot of heart.

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Sveta lost 6-7, 6-7.

lizchris
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Before the last GS of the year (and she is the defending champion)? Stupid.

DominikaRules
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I'll be polite and say "stubborn".

DominikaRules
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Do I have to bad rep your ass again? :p

cellophane
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM
It looked like it got better towards the end, so perhaps she knew what she was doing.

*Karen*
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I've always thought the Russians played far too much but it's getting to the stage where if they don't play there would be no top ten players in the tournements. She's stupid for playing when she's almost dying. But also heroic because atleast she cares enough to play.

TonyP
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I'll be reckless and say,well done! We don't see enough players giving their all these days. They pull out of a tournament if they're having a bad hair day.

It's nice to hear of a player who stays out there and fights!

Infiniti2001
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I'll be reckless and say,well done! We don't see enough players giving their all these days. They pull out of a tournament if they're having a bad hair day.

--you are so full of SHIT :rolleyes: Have you ever played any sport?? :mad: Hopefully this injury won't keep her off the tour for 6 months UGH

le bon vivant
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Do I have to bad rep your ass again? :p

Fuck Gise and your little bad reps! :p

vutt
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM

indeed :worship:

Experimentee
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I am a Sveta fan and I say shes stupid. Her first priority should be her health, and being ready to defend her US Open, not a 2nd round match in Toronto. She could have done even more damage and be forced out of the US Open now :(

TonyP
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, I've played lots of sports and yes, many players, especially the Williams sisters, quit the moment they are not feeling up to snuff. They do it over and over and over again. Venus was sick, but seen on the party circuit in Hollywood anyway. Being too sick to live up to her commitment in Stockholm apparently didn't men she could not go to a new exotic sushi restaurant in LA last Friday night.

It is about time some of the women players showed a little backbone again.

It used to be that you could lose a match because of "lack of conditioning." Now, they are willing to halt play for what, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, half a day, maybe until some time next year, because of a little heat?

alibaby
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Experimentee]I am a Sveta fan and I say shes stupid. Her first priority should be her health, and being ready to defend her US Open, not a 2nd round match in Toronto. She could have done even more damage and be forced out of the US Open now :([/QUOfirst,sveta is NOT stupid!!and any "fan",who says that about HIS player,is in my eyes NO fan!!!we can say,it was right/wrong,but attacking your favourite is just not on!!a few days ago,another poster had the same opinion as i had.its just a big difference,how you treat "your" favourite!

btw,NO ONE but her can imagine,how hard such a decision is!it may be better to stop it,but this sport is very much about honour too,not just money,and therefore i respect her decision.

Helen Lawson
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:08 PM
She's a tough broad who plays hurt! Way to go, hon! Just like me, she goes down swinging. Unlike me, she got her "Oscar" as a teen and didn't have to wait until she was like 40 like I did. I hate those bastards in Hollywood!

manu32
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM
a flu????

tennisbum79
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Yes, I've played lots of sports and yes, many players, especially the Williams sisters, quit the moment they are not feeling up to snuff. They do it over and over and over again. Venus was sick, but seen on the party circuit in Hollywood anyway. Being too sick to live up to her commitment in Stockholm apparently didn't men she could not go to a new exotic sushi restaurant in LA last Friday night.

It is about time some of the women players showed a little backbone again.

It used to be that you could lose a match because of "lack of conditioning." Now, they are willing to halt play for what, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, half a day, maybe until some time next year, because of a little heat?

Everybody must listen to their own body and make appropriate decision for their career.
Venus played hurt in Wimbledon final, and [ayed a hefty price by being out long time due to lingering effect of that injury. I think since then, she has been making informed decisions when it comes injury.

About Stockholm, I think she was just tired from playing continuously since Wimbledon. She could probably have handle it better, but she did the right thing. Just this week, players have withdrawn a day before or on the day of their macthes. So Venu's was not that bad.
Jus consider this:
Wimby 2 weeks, with a grueling physical long final - 7 matches total
Fed Cup , 3 days of practice ;2 days of play; 3 matches in 2 days
WTT 1 week on east coast,
WTT 1 WEEK on west coast
Stanford 1 week, fatigue showing

By the way, Davebnport has not played since Wimbledon.

tennisbum79
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=Experimentee]I am a Sveta fan and I say shes stupid. Her first priority should be her health, and being ready to defend her US Open, not a 2nd round match in Toronto. She could have done even more damage and be forced out of the US Open now :([/QUOfirst,sveta is NOT stupid!!and any "fan",who says that about HIS player,is in my eyes NO fan!!!we can say,it was right/wrong,but attacking your favourite is just not on!!a few days ago,another poster had the same opinion as i had.its just a big difference,how you treat "your" favourite!

btw,NO ONE but her can imagine,how hard such a decision is!it may be better to stop it,but this sport is very much about honour too,not just money,and therefore i respect her decision.

She could be doing this because of declaration she made few days ago.
Saying that the American have tendancy to withdraw of because of different mentality than the Russians.
Implying that the Russian are tough and, everything being equal, would not withdraw for same reason Americans would

selyoink
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
It is probably stupid but I understand why she did it. She is a competitor and wants to finish the match. Players don't like retiring if they can continue to play. I know personally I would play through the pain assuming it was physically possible.

Dexter
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:34 PM
With all due of respect to Swietlana, I find that stupid :rolleyes:

deja_entendu
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:35 PM

We all new he was a retard, but observing his recent posts, he now has the dubious honor of being the board's First Official Gisela Dulko Hater

:tape: congrats, add it on to the long list :tape:

TonyP
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I had praised Venus for her persistance after Wimbledon, only to see her pull out of Stockholm and falling right back into the old habit the Williams sisters have of unexplained or questionable injuries or illnesses.

But what I find appalling is criticizing someone for praising players who do fight on, regardless of injury.

I think too many fans are now growing accustomed to players dropping out over the slightest physical or mental problem.

Tennis players are again getting the rep of being greedy and spoiled. That rep is hurting athletes worldwide.

So if Svetlana wants to tough it out on court, despite physical problems, I say, hurray!

Its a refreshing change from the usual whining we hear from most of the players currently on tour.

I think Maria's decision to pull out of both LA and then Toronto and get the number one ranking by default was a very bad decision for tennis.

LefandePatty
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
this girl is so stupid

thrust
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Foolish!!

forever_rafter
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Heroic :worship: