PDA

View Full Version : Age restriction rule

JenFan75
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Is it good or bad for tennis? I think it makes the game a little more boring, because you see a little less burnout, and as much as people don't like to admit it, burnouts (ala Jen) create drama on the tour and give people more to talk about.

pla
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Well, burnouts maybe interesting for someone but in the other hand it's almost always means a broken heart of a player. Imagine how many hours they spend on court, imagine the investment from the familly, all the good moments missed with friends because of the training and THIS for ONE dream which fades away. It's horrible I think.

I remember someone reported that Vika Kutuzova said she was finalyl happy with the AER because she felt exausted. That's reveiling how much from the body and the mentality the Tour demands nowadays.

It may suck a bit for the fans, I have a lot of faves which are under the restriction of the AER and I know how it feels, but for the sake of those players I think it's better for them to have AER. Like someone said.. it's better than nothing.

Kart
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
AER doesn't stop burn out but at least makes them a bit later.

mn73
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
It's not much of a rule these days is it - I mean 14 year olds can play something like seven tournaments, whereas I'm sure a few years ago they couldn't play many at all.

Ever since Sharapova the rules seem to get more and more relaxed.

aheee!!
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM
just look at all the injuries today and you'll see why it's a good rule

Pureracket
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
just look at all the injuries today and you'll see why it's a good ruleVenus and SErena both played very few tournaments, and they have had serious injuries.

AER suck. I think the WTA should let the players and parents worry about burnout. If there is a 13 year old girl right now who can be #1 in the world, she deserves every right to play a full schedule and earn the same kind of money and help her family, financially, just like anybody else.

tennisbum79
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
How many of these were underage?

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:21 PM

the AER as it stands is a bad rule and it has nothing to do with injuries on the tour.

SelesFan70
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I was hoping you meant for this board. :lol:

I think if you're good enough...you're good enough.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:24 PM
the players who love AER are Davenport and Mauresmo, because it helps keep them at the top. I've said before, they should cut it back a year so that 17 year old players are unrestricted. It's not uncommon in women's tennis history for 17 year olds to be Slam title contenders.

Pamela Shriver
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I don't believe in age restrictions. Otherwise I wouldna married a 346 year old.

ToeTag
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I don't believe in age restrictions. Otherwise I wouldna married a 346 year old.
Has he been carbon dated yet, Pam?

Cp6uja
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Top Players That Are Injured - Lindsay (1), Maria (2), Sveta (4), S Williams (7), Mary (11), Alicia (13), Nastya (14), Lena B (16), Vera Z (17), Ana (19), Lena L (20), Dani (21), Fran (22), Silvia (23), Anna C (28), Shuai (31), Na, Maria Kirilenko

Top Players That Recently Overcame Injury - Justine (5), Nadia (10), Tati (25)

Top Players Healthy - Amelie (3), Lena D (6), Kim (8), V Williams (9), Patty (12), Nathalie (15), Jelena J (18), Dinara (24), Ai (26), Shinobu (27), Anna Lena (29), Flavia (30), Nicole V (32)

Problem is in "BEST-17" rules IMO. We need maximum "Best-15" rules or less (12 or 13 or 14 is optimum), and after that, nobody in WTA ("old" or "young" or "teen") dont want play more than 20 tournaments in 12 months (except Jelena Jankovic, maybe :lol: ). But WTA prefer more "all-star" tournaments, and we (again and again) have situation like this - in Toronto at draw we have almost all best players, like Sharapova, Mauresmo, Serena, Henin, Kim, Kuznetsova, Pierce, Myskina, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Hantuchova, Dechy, Schiavone... and where are is 8 of this 13 tennis stars after only 3 days?
IN HOSPITAL!??! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Age restriction rule is OK, but if WTA dont change "best 17" rule, Age restriction rule will be only one hipocritical rule...