:) Chanda Rubin

Good choices :banana:

rated_next
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:12 AM
I just realized Alexandra didn't get a MD WC :eek: :worship:

Paldias
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:15 AM

She didn't even get a Q WC? :scared: Now I know she's bad but she's got a better chance to win a match than half of those given Q WC's...

njnetswill
Stevenson didn't get ANYTHING. :eek:

selesfan1
I'm kind of glad Bethanie Mattek didn't get one. She always seems to play better when she has to qualify.

tenn_ace
Julia Cohen??? I guess US tennis is really desperate :rolleyes:

PS. I hope her coach will introduce new tricks to coach Cohen during matches... Everybody knows his old ones.

Davenselesport
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Jamea Jackson? Is she in qualifying anyway?

Paldias
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Jamea Jackson? Is she in qualifying anyway?

I believe after a strong Wimbledon she was able to keep her ranking up since then to make direct entry :)

SelesFan70
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:28 AM
:banana: Ashley! I hope she gets and okay draw and can win a round or 4!

I'm surprised they didn't give a wild card to that girl Chris Evert is hyping. I can't remember her name. :o

TF Chipmunk
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Wow, I want to hear what excuse she has or how she's going to pick herself up after that huge bitch slap :p

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Stevenson didn't get ANYTHING. :eek: :worship:

yukon145
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:41 AM
i hope Ashley can win a match or two!

CrossCourt~Rally
CONGRATS TO TARA SNYDER!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

yukon145
good choice by the USTA not giving stevenson a maindraw WC, she's still never been out of the first round.

rated_next
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Stevenson, though, is in the QD, since she is using her special ranking.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:09 AM
good choice by the USTA not giving stevenson a maindraw WC, she's still never been out of the first round.

I agree. From what I heard, when Stevenson put in a request for a wildcard, she didn't even check off the box for qualifying. It was all or nothing and she got nothing. Hopefully she realizes that nothing is going to be handed to her anymore and she is going to have to work her way back up from square one once she uses her last injury protected ranks for tournaments. Develop some consistency, lose some weight, and hit the challengers (or even satellites).

I agree with pretty much all the MD wild card choices except for Alexa Glatch. I'm aware she is damn good for 15, but she's done nothing in the last 12 months besides reach the quarterfinals of a 50K...on clay. Usually more has to be achieved to recieve a wild card of that magnitude, and I think she'd be just fine with qualies for another year.

I applaud the USTA for recognizing that Tara has had a difficult go of it lately to say the least and throwing her a bone for once, something they haven't done in years. I think that Julia Cohen was a good chance for a qualy wild card as well, simply based on her work ethic and her willingness to play 30+ tournaments a year at the junior level. They give Lauren Breadmore a qualy wildcard at the AO every year based on that, so why not Julia? Who knows? Maybe she could win a round.

A little shocked that Cory Ann didn't get anything given her current form recently, but pleasantly surprised. She's gotten a qualy wild card every year for the last four years. It's time for her to make the next step.

brunof
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:28 AM

I'm surprised they didn't give a wild card to that girl Chris Evert is hyping. I can't remember her name. :o

I can't remember who she raved about either. Are you talking about the Tennis Mag editorial?

I'm a bit confused to why Alexa Glatch got a wildcard. And who is Madison Brengle...is she worthy of a qualifying wildcard? What are peoples thoughts on the French wildcard?

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:34 AM
I agree. From what I heard, when Stevenson put in a request for a wildcard, she didn't even check off the box for qualifying. It was all or nothing and she got nothing

she didnt need a qualy wildcard because she can use her injury ranking.

Remember that an extra maindraw wildcard may still open up, if Haynes ends up getting into maindraw on ranking. Stevenson might get lucky.

rated_next
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Brengle is 1990 and won a $10K this year, so she is pretty good

Derek.
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Great choices this year! :bigclap:

I'm so glad Alexa and Ashley got a WC! :woohoo:

TS
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Glad Neha got one again this year :)

Also happy for Angie Haynes, Shenay and Ashley in the MD!

alwayshingis
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Excellent for Jessica. I'm disappointed in the lack of Bethanie.

What ever happened with Zemenova (or whatever her name was)

Chunchun
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Dokic?

JenFan75
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Angela :bounce:

tennisIlove09
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM
no Alex...surprising!

Go Chanda! Go Ashlee! I hope they get decent draws

Piotr'ek
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Carly Gullickson
Ashley Harkleroad
Chanda Rubin
:worship: :woohoo:

CooCooCachoo
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Main Draw:

Mary Gambale
Alexa Glatch
Carly Gullickson
Ashley Harkleroad
Angela Haynes
Jessica Kirkland
Shenay Perry
Chanda Rubin

Qualifying:

Megan Bradley
Madison Brengle
Julia Cohen
Vania King
Raquel Kops-Jones
Krysty Marcio
Pauline Parmentier
Tara Snyder
Neha Uberoi

Carly :inlove: :banana: Good luck girl :hug:
Neha.. Qualies.. Oh well, good luck :hug:

Lemonskin.
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Ashy :D

petey_pan
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Ashley :angel:
Carly :kiss:
Alexa!!! :hearts:

Slumpsova
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
why Parmentier? she is french, isn't she?

and finally USTA has spoiled Kirkland again :rolleyes:
like i said before. this girl needs to qualify to raise her ranking up.

New
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Not too sure about the rest cos I haven't seen them play before......

but glad these girls got qualifying...Ashley Harkleroad, Angela Haynes, Chanda Rubin:bounce: :D

lindsayno1
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I believe after a strong Wimbledon she was able to keep her ranking up since then to make direct entry :)

she lost to lindsay in the second round didnt she?!

V-MAC
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
:bounce: :) Yeahh Chanda !!!! :worship: Hopefully she will be able to turn up and use it though...

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Not too sure about the rest cos I haven't seen them play before......

but glad these girls got qualifying...Ashley Harkleroad, Angela Haynes, Chanda Rubin:bounce: :D

huh?

thekimfan
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I thought Kirsten Flipkens would receive one?

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:37 AM
What ever happened with Zemenova (or whatever her name was)

Zuzana chose not to play pro tennis and concentrate on school. Still though, I thought they would have at least offered her a wildcard and that she would have taken it.

It would have been a great experience for her going into her sophomore season at Baylor.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I think that Julia Cohen was a good chance for a qualy wild card as well, simply based on her work ethic and her willingness to play 30+ tournaments a year at the junior level.

Julia was the sole reason that the ITF introduced tournament limits into junior events, cos she used to play 30-40 of those, now there have been restrictions since last Feb :lol:.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I thought Kirsten Flipkens would receive one?

why would you think that :confused:

Dexter
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Chanda, Angela, Shenay :yeah:

Oneofakind0490
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Good for American youngsters:D

Anyone have the mens?

*JR*
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Keep an eye on Megan Bradley, who had a 39 match winning streak this past season @ the University of Miami, and was ITA #1 all year. (She picked a terrible time to lose though, in R2 of the college playoffs). :o BTW, Amber (ranked only #9) lost in R1, failing to make history with a "three-peat" (remaining "only" a b2b college champ, along with Lisa, Laura, and a few others).

Staticbeef
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Main Draw:

Mary Gambale :worship:
Alexa Glatch :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Carly Gullickson :wavey:
Ashley Harkleroad :worship:
Angela Haynes :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Jessica Kirkland :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Shenay Perry :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship:
Chanda Rubin :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Qualifying:

Megan Bradley :worship:
Madison Brengle :worship:
Julia Cohen :bounce: :bounce:
Vania King :wavey:
Raquel Kops-Jones :wavey:
Krysty Marcio ;)
Pauline Parmentier :confused:
Tara Snyder :bounce:
Neha Uberoi :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

FINALY, American kids, get theirs, Good Move and if they lose early can still play juniors :) :) :) :)

tucker1989
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM
she lost to lindsay in the second round didnt she?!

She qualified, beat Marrero and lost in the second round to Lindsay, but that performance combined with her performance at Birmingham, qualifying, and beating Brandi and Kirilenko before losing in the third round has raised her ranking to around 90 :D

Jem
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Now we see why Mary Gambale got that WC into the French Open qualifying. U.S. and French federations obviously did a deal, but I guess forgot to announce it. That's why Parmentier got in the qualifying. I think they should have given the winner of the U.S. 16s a WC into the qualifying, whomever that is. Usually, I would argue that Glatch, as the runner-up of the 18s, should have been relegated to the qualifying, but she and Gambale are clearly at the two best U.S. juniors at the moment, so I can understand trying to give her a break. An upset win at the U.S. Open would do wonders for either girl's confidence and ranking. Glad to see the USTA rewarding Bradley and Brengle for pretty good wins at smaller tournaments. Nice nod to the juniors and the college system through Cohen, King, Marcio and Kops-Jones, to the struggling up and comers like Uberoi. I question Snyder, but she is coming back from injury and had a decent career, so maybe one final WC is deserved. All in all, I think they did a swell job.

spokenword73
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Raquel Kops-Jones, isn't she the African American player from Stanford?

tucker1989
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Raquel Kops-Jones, isn't she the African American player from Stanford?

Kops-Jones didn't play for Stanford, though she was a very successful college player, for Cal I think :D

Babolatpro880
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Anna Tatishvilli? She played in Miami I think. Anyway, she's from the country of Georgia, so I dunno why they'd give her one.

Julia Cohen is a moonballer :o I doubt she'll win a match.

I like the wildcard choices overall, glad that Mary and Alexa both got them for the main draw, although I question Kops-Jones in qualifying a bit.

The Pro
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Dokic?

She's been shafted! But maybe she can qualify....

Randy H
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Overall pretty decent choices I would say - Mattek with her semifinal effort in Cincy could have made a case for herself and may be first alternate should one of the wildcards withdraw or not need it, but I think it was the right choice to put her in qualies because her ranking has kind of stagnated for the last while.

Expected that King and Uberoi would get into qualies, and pleased they gave Tara one considering she's done pretty good in her return from injury so far. Also think Brengle's is deserved given she won a 10k and it will be a nice learning experience for her being so young. Bradley hasn't done anything in her events since winning her 10k, but with her NCAA track record I think she deserves a shot anyway.

Haven't been overly impressed by the results of Cohen, or Marcio, but I suppose they deserve a chance over players like Avants and Peterson who have had their share of chances before anyway. Kops-Jones hasn't done a whole lot to my memory, I would have liked to see her WC go to Tiffany Eklov who has really made leaps and bounds in improving her ranking from the 900's to around 400 in less than a year.

Tennace
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I would have liked to see Dokic get a wild card
I know shes not American but I would like to see how she does against top players again. Too bad for here ranking slide.

xin_hui
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:04 PM
hope ashley can win a few matches!:bounce:

RussiansFan
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Ashley Harkleroad :)
Angela Haynes :)
Chanda Rubin :)

Serena!
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM
YAy!!!!
Go Chanda, Shanay and Angela!

mishar
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM
some excellent choices!

A bit surprised there was no wildcard for Mattek -- but she's gotten enough over the years I suppose.

Thank goodness Alex didn't get one. Nothing against her, but she really didn't seem like she could remotely have a chance of winning a match here.

SelesFan70
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Anna Tatishvilli? She played in Miami I think. Anyway, she's from the country of Georgia, so I dunno why they'd give her one.

I like the wildcard choices overall, glad that Mary and Alexa both got them for the main draw, although I question Kops-Jones in qualifying a bit.

That's her! I couldn't remember her name. I thought they'd give her one if Chrissie asked. She did win the US Open 6 times and brought tennis to America. :D

Lennval
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
hey is a good player gullickson

i have seen her lately in some draws and i wonder how she plays!

Drake1980
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:12 PM
not too exciting

Harju.
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm surprised that Sunitha Rao, Cory Ann Avants and Bethanie Mattek didn't get any WC.

Experimentee
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Asha Rolle should have got a main draw WC, or at least a qualy one. Shes been doing really well in US challengers of late, better than someone like Glatch.

jfk
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Asha Rolle should have got a main draw WC, or at least a qualy one. Shes been doing really well in US challengers of late, better than someone like Glatch.
I don't mind Glatch getting one. In fact, the MD WC's seem correct to me. But Rolle should have gotten a qualis WC over Kops-Jones...I'm not sure why she got one at all.

Martian KC
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Just how did I know they'd give it to both Mary and Alexa anyways? :rolleyes:

Go Carly!

raquel
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Julia was the sole reason that the ITF introduced tournament limits into junior events, cos she used to play 30-40 of those, now there have been restrictions since last Feb :lol:.

Julia Cohen??? I guess US tennis is really desperate :rolleyes:

PS. I hope her coach will introduce new tricks to coach Cohen during matches... Everybody knows his old ones.

:lol:

She sounds interesting. As does her coach. I hope she gets Venus or Lindsay in the first round and gets on TV :D

Alex Stevenson not getting a WC is the right decision. You can't argue that she would bring in the crowds because she is more well known and therefore deserves one over lesser known girls. It's not like a lot of people would make an effort to buy tickets to see Alex when most of the best players in the world are there.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:10 PM
But Rolle should have gotten a qualis WC over Kops-Jones...I'm not sure why she got one at all.

You know I actually agree with that...Rolle is probably the one person who really did get screwed with the selections this year. Her ranking has moved from 420 to 230 in the last 12 months. In 2005 she won a 10K, reached the quarters of two 50K's, and reached the finals of a 25K, which is FAR more than Raquel has done...not to mention the fact Asha has beaten Raquel three times in a row, two of those wins coming this year.

I'd say Asha has accomplished more in the last 12 months than all of the qualifying WC recipients and at least a few of the MD ones....and she's done it without almost any assistance from the USTA, financial or otherwise. She's recieved TWO wildcards all year from the USTA, and one of those was because she won the pre-qualifying in Miami, so they had to give a WC to her for that event.

njguido11
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Asha Rolle is in the Qualies and didnt need a WC

LefandePatty
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Ashley :banana:

alfonsojose
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:10 PM

:lol: if she qualifies, it's going to be fun if she gets Conchita :yeah:

ptkten
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:49 PM
You know I actually agree with that...Rolle is probably the one person who really did get screwed with the selections this year. Her ranking has moved from 420 to 230 in the last 12 months. In 2005 she won a 10K, reached the quarters of two 50K's, and reached the finals of a 25K, which is FAR more than Raquel has done...not to mention the fact Asha has beaten Raquel three times in a row, two of those wins coming this year.

I'd say Asha has accomplished more in the last 12 months than all of the qualifying WC recipients and at least a few of the MD ones....and she's done it without almost any assistance from the USTA, financial or otherwise. She's recieved TWO wildcards all year from the USTA, and one of those was because she won the pre-qualifying in Miami, so they had to give a WC to her for that event.

Rolle got into the qualifying directly, you can get in with a little lower ranking at the U.S. Open because the qualifying draw is a little bigger than the other slams.

The maindraw wildcards were spot on, I think Avants deserved a wildcard over Kops-Jones but I can't complain too much.

Also, now we see why Gambale got a wildcard into the French qualies ;)

njguido11
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I think avants should have gotten it over COHEN,KOPS_JONES, Uberoi, and Marcio anyone know if shes the next to get one in case of pull outs. I cant see it being anyone but avants or maybe remynse who im surprised didnt get it over cohen.

sartrista7
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
The US choices seem quite sound, but I'm curious as to why Parmentier got the French WC over Cornet, Rezai or even Fedossova.

njnetswill
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:39 PM
The US choices seem quite sound, but I'm curious as to why Parmentier got the French WC over Cornet, Rezai or even Fedossova.

Rezai was never on the entry list...Cornet may be too young?

cartmancop
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty happy with the choices I guess. Chanda definitely deserved one:) esp. after all she's done for Tennis in the South. I'm kind of glad Stevenson didn't get one. She's had her chances in the past, give someone else a try;) She has enough talent to make the MD, but I don't know how she's playing @ the moment. Are the men's WCs announced 2morrow?

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Keep an eye on Megan Bradley, who had a 39 match winning streak this past season @ the University of Miami, and was ITA #1 all year. (She picked a terrible time to lose though, in R2 of the college playoffs). :o BTW, Amber (ranked only #9) lost in R1, failing to make history with a "three-peat" (remaining "only" a b2b college champ, along with Lisa, Laura, and a few others).

Didn't Megan also win her first pro title this summer too?

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Kops-Jones didn't play for Stanford, though she was a very successful college player, for Cal I think :D

Yep she was.

Scotso
Aug 19th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Mary :)

Pauline :D

rated_next
Aug 19th, 2005, 01:32 AM
the only notable player, IMO, missing is Ansley Cargill -- she just won a $25k and was ranked in the top 100

SerialKiller#69
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Nice to see Chanda on the list.

Dava
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Mary GambaleWHO?
Alexa Glatch WHO?
Carly Gullickson WHY?
Ashley Harkleroad YES!
Angela Haynes YES!
Jessica Kirkland YES!
Shenay Perry YES!
Chanda Rubin YES!

Babolatpro880
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Mary GambaleWHO?
Alexa Glatch WHO?
Carly Gullickson WHY?
Ashley Harkleroad YES!
Angela Haynes YES!
Jessica Kirkland YES!
Shenay Perry YES!
Chanda Rubin YES!
Alexa Glatch- 15, Runner up in U18 Nationals
Mary Gambale- 16, WInner in U18 Nationals
Carly Gullickson- 18, won $50K Challenger over Varvara Lepchenko earlier this year, still a prospect.

King Aaron
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM
the only notable player, IMO, missing is Ansley Cargill -- she just won a $25k and was ranked in the top 100
Yeah, was hoping she'd at least get a qualy WC. But I think she's just playing part-time/during the summer so that probably explains a little? :confused:

brunof
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I'm surprised that Sunitha Rao, Cory Ann Avants and Bethanie Mattek didn't get any WC.

The day that Sunitha gets any wildcard of any sort (ever again) will be the day I suck on my big toe. Unfortunately, Sunitha really hasn't done anything great all year. I hope she can keep a top 200 ranking after the Australian circuit comes off. I'm kind of sad that Sunitha hasn't capitalized on much this year, but I'm hoping for a breakthrough soon. I hope she can qualify on her own merit too. Hopefully she won't run into Evie Dominikovic or a top seed until after the first round. :o :angel: If she draws Santangelo I will go through the roof! :fiery: Last year the only player to get past the first round was Angela.

Why did Amber Liu get the WC for winning the NCAA's but this year's winner didnt?