PDA

View Full Version : Zemenova not even given a qualifying wildcard!

VeeDaQueen
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:48 AM
This is SOOOOOOOO hypocritical. Amber Liu recieved a wildcard everytime she won the NCAA's and always lost in the first round. She can hardly win matches at the $10K level and only has one title. Zemenova has won 4 ITF singles titles and won this years NCAA's fair and square. This is complete disrespect! Pauline Parmentier (who?) of France got a qualifying wildcard, and hasn't done anything out of the ordinary.

It makes me furious :mad:

TF Chipmunk
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:53 AM
But didn't the only reason why Amber Liu lose the NCAA Tournament was because of injury? I'm not sure though :shrug:

TF Chipmunk
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Also, are you talking about the US Open or what? Because if it is..I think it's smart of the USTA to give the French a wildcard and possibly set up a trade-off like France and Australia do at their respective grandslams.

rated_next
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM
who else got the WCs????

I was looking forward to seeing Zemenova play, as it seems like she's got tons of potential.

njguido11
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:58 AM
i remember GAMBALe got a wc into qualies at the french so obviously there must of been an agreement. DO u have the list of wcs????

njguido11
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:09 AM
JUST Saw the list and no CORY AVANTS for qualies at all. but KOps jones and uberoi received them. cory ann won a round last yr and got injured in the 2nd round it sux for her

Rtael
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Do you know if she even wanted one... ?

Chunchun
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Who the hell is Zemenova? :tape:

Elldee
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Well, maybe she didn't WANT a qualifying wildcard or they thought it would be insulting to offer her one.

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I was surprised too, but Zuzana has not played a single pro match in 2005 because she wanted to concentrate on school and not the distraction of playing pro tennis.

But she is the NCAA defending champion and I figured the experience before she started her sophomore year would have been good for her.

Stingray
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Well it is the US open so I suppose you can't blame them for giving them to American players, if it was Wimbly I'd rather them go to all UK players.

Jem
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:58 PM
They made a decision a couple of years ago not to grant automatic wildcards to the NCAA champion because so many foreigners were winning the title. You can't really blame them about that, giving that the USTA's mission is to develop U.S. tennis. Zemenova is getting quite a bit of support from here as is.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:52 PM
if Amber Liu and the rest of the home-grown American NCAA players didn't suck so bad, this wouldnt have to be an issue.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:57 PM
They made a decision a couple of years ago not to grant automatic wildcards to the NCAA champion because so many foreigners were winning the title. You can't really blame them about that, giving that the USTA's mission is to develop U.S. tennis. Zemenova is getting quite a bit of support from here as is.

Not only that, but a lot of the foriegn college players were coming in, brushing up on their english for free, enjoying the college life, and then leaving after a year or two before cutting loose and joining the pro tour. I think that was the problem more than anything.

Most top level college players are guilty of doing this though, but I understand the USTA's reasoning.