PDA

View Full Version : Myskina Enters New Haven

Andrew..
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:29 AM
NEW HAVEN, Conn., August 17, 2004 Ė Anastasia Myskina, the 14th ranked player in the world is now the tenth top 20 player in the world to enter into the Pilot Pen Tennis presented by Michelob ULTRA, a US Open Series event, part of the ATP Tour and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. The tournament is set for Aug. 19-28 at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.

Myskina, 24, joins a long list of talented Russians entered in this yearís first ever- combined menís and womenís event. She comes into the tournament looking for her first title of the year after three quarterfinal appearances including Wimbledon; a semifinal appearance at Antwerp; and a finals appearance at Stockholm.

The No. 14 player in the world has nine career titles including the French Open in 2004. Myskina is currently two spots out of the main draw behind Svetlana Kuznetsova in the Next-In list. She is also eligible for one of three wild cards, all of which will be determined by 4pm on Thursday.

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM
:) Good decision Nastya. :kiss:

416_Man
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:42 AM
New Haven has a massive field of recent stinkers/injured players. The final is going to be Myskina def. Davenport 5-0 ret, and the semis Myskina def. Bovina 6-3 4-0 ret and Davenport def. Golovin 1-0 ret. lol, great field no matter what

TF Chipmunk
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:43 AM
New Haven has a massive field of recent stinkers/injured players. The final is going to be Myskina def. Davenport 5-0 ret, and the semis Myskina def. Bovina 6-3 4-0 ret and Davenport def. Golovin 1-0 ret. lol, great field no matter what
:lol:

selyoink
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I don't like this at all. That will be 3 weeks of play in a row with a ton of three setters as well. I don't want her fatigued going into the Open.

cellophane
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Not a smart decision.

martirogi
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:03 AM
shes needs to get match tough again. she wasnt going to go far at the open in her current form.

njnetswill
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Lol. New Haven is officially the "Help i'm playing like crap" tournament.

yukon145
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:43 AM
why the hell did she enter, she didn't even lose her first match in Canada.

Portobello
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:03 AM
I don't think it's a good decision but good luck Nastya tho:)

jan.
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:11 AM
I don't like the sound of this at all its been too much match play for Myskina she won't hold up till the Open.

DragonFlame
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:27 AM
why do i have the feeling nastya is trying to scramble rankingpoints? :o :awww: don't know if this was a very good decision...

Derek.
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Do your best Nastya! :smooch:

@m@nd@
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:31 AM
good luck nastya :)

Lady
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Continuing like this, and New Haven will be out of wild cards quicly! ;)

alwayshingis
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I believe Sveta already was awarded the first WC.

Nastya, Alicia, Tati, and Ai are all on the Next-In list. Linetskaya is doubtful so I bet Alicia will get in automatically, and then Nastya will get another WC.

_LuCaS_
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Whatever she wants, this year's been too much of a mess already :shrug:

Almalyk
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Whatever she wants, this year's been too much of a mess already :shrug:

There is still the US Open and Kremlin Cup to win :drool:

kammgretel
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Well, now this will be a interesting draw, I hope she dont against to my favos, plz. :D

sartrista7
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Oh no, I was hoping she wouldn't do this. She's going to go into the US Open exhausted.

Dementinator
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
no doubt as a wild card she will draw Elena in first match! the only top player she can seem to beat ,damn it! well hopefully HOPEFULLY if that happens ,for once Lena can kick her ass!! just forget shes ya best pal Lena and go crazy on her!!!

michelle11
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:58 AM
exhausted of many matches she could only be if she wins.
perhaps from today till US open it will only be two matches...

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:34 PM
This is not a bad idea. New Haven is near NYC.
Anastasia may not get past Kim in Toronto.
It's a few more matches before the US Open, when she'll have days off.

©@ģeLess
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM
it would be fun to watch choke fest- Nastya vs. Jelena again!

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Former French Open champ Myskina enters Pilot Pen
Jim Fuller, Register Staff
08/18/2005

http://www2.ctcentral.com/images/smpenlogo.gifA high-profile Russian and Grand Slam champion was added to the playing field for the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament on Wednesday.

No, it wasnít 2000 U.S. Open and 2005 Australian Open menís champion Marat Safin, who hasnít officially requested a wild card, although if his comments the last two days are any indication that could come as soon as today. However, the star-studded womenís field got an additional boost when 2004 French Open champion Anastasia Myskina entered the Pilot Pen.

"She (Myskina) said it (the 2001 Pilot Pen) was the breakthrough tournament of her career," Pilot Pen Tennis Tournament Director Anne Worcester said. "I was surprised because she didnít enter early." In 2001, Myskina upset Amanda Coetzer in the first round before falling to top-seeded Lindsay Davenport. The following year she eliminated seeded players Justine Henin and Martina Hingis before falling to Davenport once again, this time in the semifinals. Her last appearance in New Haven was a brief one as she lost to Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi in the first round.

Myskina peaked at No. 2 in the WTA rankings in September, but between concern for her ill mother and a bothersome shoulder, Myskina has played an especially light schedule. In her first tournament since reaching the quarterfinals at Wimbledon, Myskina lost in the finals at the Tier IV event in Stockholm last week.

Myskina, currently ranked 14th, becomes the second Grand Slam champion on the Pilot Penís "next-in" list. She joins defending U.S. Open champion and No. 4-ranked Svetlana Kuznetsova, No. 13 Alicia Molik, No. 25 Tatiana Golovin and No. 26 Ai Sugiyama on the next-in list. If there are any withdrawals from the main draw before Fridayís deadline, the spots will be filled by players on the next-in list.

Myskinaís chance of earning a main draw spot improved with word from Serena Williamsí agent, Jill Smoller, that the former No. 1 player would not play in New Haven despite Williamsí decision to pull out of the Rogers Cup in Toronto on Wednesday.