PDA

View Full Version : Serena Fans, What would you rather her do?

Serena!
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Since Serena is playing horribly and getting injured in every tournament she plays, would you rather her play like every 3 weeks and pull out in early rounds, and occasionally get to a quarterfinal, OR would you rather her take another 8 months off and come back 90%?

ezekiel
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:47 AM
if she stays off for months she won't be in top shape. Just has to feel what's right for her physically and come back. Only she will know when is the best time physically and game wise to return

Sam L
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Another 8 months? That would mean she'd come back in claycourt season of 2006. Seems an awful long time, but that's probably what it'll take.

Stamp Paid
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Neither! I would rather he train and rehabilitate until she is in awesome shape and start playing immediately. dont care if it isnt until philadelphia, I dont want her defending in Melbourne with NO match play.

tennisbum79
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:54 AM
How do you come with those length of time and their associated percentages?

I did not vote because I just want her to come back only when she 100%.
I would not put any time limit on it, I am sure it won't take 18 months as your poll suggests.
Serena's personility would NOT be content with just being an average player. She thrives on being the best, it is part of her essence. For hew own sanity, she should come back ony when she is serena-standard match-ready.

Knizzle
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Play the US Open then train really hard to get in better shape for about a month and a half then resume playing in October.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:38 AM
I say only play the US Open if she feels she can at least make the QF. Then after that, recover until the YEC.

RenaSlam.
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:41 AM
I agree with the above ^

Brooks.
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:26 AM
i think she is gonna try and play the open.........i just have a feeling.........hopefully she can get that knee strong again......who knows......maybe 2 weeks can make a difference

tennisbum79
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM
I agree with the above ^

Who? VeeRee, knizle, or me Tennisbum?

Couver
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:15 AM
I'm in support of her taking the rest of the season off, and returning at the OZ Open, maybe having played a smaller warm-up event. This season is lost anyway. It's been one of starting and stopping the whole year except in Australia. I saw Serena's match, and she IMO cannot be ready for the US Open. She looked uncomfortable and in pain, at times she almost seemed like she was going to cry :sad: Plus her mobility is just gone.

I'd just like her to take the time she needs and listen to her body and her doctors too. After reading her interviews and just seeing how long these injuries have bothered her, I keep thinking this might be career ending :sad: :sad:

Hardiansf
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Off until January when she have to defend her Oz. Skip US Open, cause I think it will really hurt her, emotional and physically.

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM
I say only play the US Open if she feels she can at least make the QF. Then after that, recover until the YEC.

I agree. :D

I personally think she's not fit enough, but Rena is a great fighter. :hearts:

She needs to rest up and come back fresh in '06. :bounce:

Larrybidd
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:34 AM
My guess is the USO will be the final tourney of the season. I assume she withdrew from toronto to give herself a chance to play in the USO. If she's still having problems at the USO, I'd have her shut it down for the year

JPrince
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I'd rather she drop about 40 pounds and get a boob reduction. Maybe that will take away some of the weight from her torso so she can actually make a decent groundstroke!

tennisbum79
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:45 AM
...and get a boob reduction. Maybe that will take away some of the weight from her torso so she can actually make a decent groundstroke!

I hope you are just kidding. There is no evidence that her breast size has anything to with her injury. Loose few pound yes, but breast reduction?
Losing weight will come with training once she is recovered.
Serena is a very intense person, she cannot train the way she wants to unless she is totally recovered.
She won 7 slams on all the major surfaces with the same breast size.

LucasArg
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I just want her back only if she is healthy. It is pointless to come back with an injury.

tennisIlove09
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:04 AM
well im sure she felt like she could make, at least the 4th RD at Wimbledon, or she wouldnt have played.

i dunno. it seems like everytime she plays, she just makes it worse. I say dont play at all, until you're 100%...why risk further injury? I think if anyone, Serena would know that. Had Venus not played that 2003 Wimbledon final, I dont think she would have missed so many months.

JenFan75
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I would rather she retire...but seeing that I'm not a fan I shouldn't even be posting ^^"

TomTennis
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:16 AM
i dont think it will take that long to recover! lol!

Diesel
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I would rather she retire...but seeing that I'm not a fan I shouldn't even be posting ^^"

It must be the lack of news from Jen's camp regarding her own status that has you on a short attention gap that you force yourself to look into and post in a Serena thread. Poor Jen fan that you are - not a lot of hell being raised there.

SJW
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:40 AM
forget about the rest of this year. rest for a month or two, start working out again then come back strong for her AO title defence in January.

JenFan75
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
It must be the lack of news from Jen's camp regarding her own status that has you on a short attention gap that you force yourself to look into and post in a Serena thread. Poor Jen fan that you are - not a lot of hell being raised there.

Actually I would do it regardless of Jen's condition ^_^

No, I don't have a life, but thankfully I have made that blatantly clear.

Diesel
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Actually I would do it regardless of Jen's condition ^_^

So why make the silly comment that you shouldn't have replied anyway? Was that a private conversation you were having with yourself?

No, I don't have a life, but thankfully I have made that blatantly clear.

Sweet

JenFan75
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:49 AM
So why make the silly comment that you shouldn't have replied anyway? Was that a private conversation you were having with yourself?

Sweet

To answer the above question, I will answer with the below response of my previous post..."I have no life" Therefore, I tend to do the unnecessary ^_~

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
If a player has a serious injury and it's 100% treatable, that player should take off as much time off as possible and let it heal.

And I don't give a damn if this hurts a promoter of a tournament. They are gonna lose money anyway by them retiring sometime during the tournament so why should they bother showing up?

But the problem with Serena, is that she does too much outside of tennis to allow herself to properly heal.

Do you see the shoes she wears in all of her appearances? How can she possibly get better with all the running around she does?

The woman needs absolute rest. ABSOLUTE! For how long? That I don't know but for as long as it takes.

I just can't stand to see her on court not being the old Serena.......

JPrince
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I hope you are just kidding. There is no evidence that her breast size has anything to with her injury. Loose few pound yes, but breast reduction?
Losing weight will come with training once she is recovered.
Serena is a very intense person, she cannot train the way she wants to unless she is totally recovered.
She won 7 slams on all the major surfaces with the same breast size.

Of course I am only kidding! I, just like the rest of you wanna see Serena back in top form and back to her winning ways again. She should just give herself plenty of time to heal so she can come back healthy without the risk of re-injury. :)

RAA
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I say take the rest of the year off and come out fresh in australia next year.. I mean.. she's not gonna be sharp or 100% for the USO.
I know there is the YEC.. but truly.. ever since it left MSG.. I really don't think it has the prestige it used to (in my mind anyway).

serenafan08
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I would rather Serena rest up until she's 100% healthy. She can't afford to pull out of every other tournament. That affects her ranking and it affects her results for the year. It's painful to watch Serena compete when she's hurt. :tears: The tour is too deep to try and play injured. When she was dominating, no one was on her level, so she could play injured and not be challenged all that much. But now, the women on tour are stronger, faster and fitter, and they've been giving the top players more competition as of late. Serena shouldn't play if she isn't at least 90%. But she knows her body better than we do, so I would trust her judgment more than ours. :D