PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters didnt want to play Toronto

tennisIlove09
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Toronto -- What you say on personal websites can get you in trouble.

Maybe Belgium's Kim Clijsters, speaking about the Rogers Cup, will learn a lesson from this posting last Wednesday on http://www.kimclijsters.com (http://www.kimclijsters.com/).

"I didn't want to play that tournament but every year the WTA obliges us to play one specific tournament and this year it will be in Canada for me. I could have done with a week of rest before the U.S. Open."

After winning the Los Angeles event on Sunday at the end of three tournaments in a row in California, Clijsters posted: "In my hotel I quickly took my stuff and made it to bed by one in the morning. And by four a.m. the alarm went off again, as I had to head for my seven o'clock connection to Toronto. And for some more jetlag."

Advertisements

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/imagesv3/spacer.gif
http://ads.theglobeandmail.com/images/partners/wallacegroup/ENGLISH3.jpg (http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;14641656;6958408;u?http://www.worldofgolftv.com)http://adcounter.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/AdletCounter?ad1=wallace_woGolf_14641656
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/imagesv3/spacer.gif
http://ads.globeandmail.com/images/partners/peiTourism/pei_120x120.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;16939438;6958408;e?http://www.peiplay.com/on-13)http://adcounter.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/AdletCounter?ad1=pei_120x120_16939438

Clijsters, seeded seventh, will make her Rogers Cup debut today at the Rexall Centre against 39th-ranked Virginie Razzano of France.

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
So, send a check along with the note saying you won't be attending. I don't buy it.

vwfan
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
yeah, because if she was obligated for toronto, then why didn't she skip either stanford, san diego, or LA. :rolleyes:
let's hope she knows her body, but playing the nice guy isn't going to get her a grand slam.

Slumpsova
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:23 PM
what trouble? booed from the fans?

RayRob
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:43 PM
i agree with VWfan, if Kim was "made" or volunteered to playing Toronto then why didn't she just skip one of the other US events. I mean, she could have skipped LA for a weeks rest, then played Toronto, then another weeks rest before playing USOpen.

Surely it would have been just a good to do that and she would have got the rest she wanted.....hopefully the decision to play all these events won't affect her physically for the USO.

-Rache

vogus
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM
"In my hotel I quickly took my stuff and made it to bed by one in the morning. And by four a.m. the alarm went off again, as I had to head for my seven o'clock connection to Toronto. And for some more jetlag."

don't cry for me Argentina. Just another example of Kim making a bad decision. She didn't NEED to fly out of L.A. on MONDAY morning at 7am to make it to a WEDNESDAY match in Toronto. She could have easily waited until the mid-afternoon and gotten a good night's sleep. That's just bad planning on her part, and she shouldn't complain about it. Grand Slam title contenders need to be on top of those kinds of details.

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Or taken a red eye.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Willhill have opened up a completely new betting category. People are know betting on the possibility of Kim retireing from the USO with any injury.

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Glad you made it anyhow Kim :D
Now get ready for a showdown :bounce:

auntie janie
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:18 PM
I'm not used to hearing Kim so downbeat. " ... And for some more jetlag."
It's terrible of me, but I like her this way; it makes her more human. NO ONE can ALWAYS be so upbeat, cheery, and smiley! Gripe away, Kimmy! I love ya for it! Maybe you could even break a racquet and curse at the umpire tonight!!! :D

jojoseph
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:51 PM
lol I think that'd be the day.

ivanovic
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM
withdraw

TF Chipmunk
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:56 AM
I don't get why she will "suffer the consequences" of speaking out??

Knizzle
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:54 AM
No matter the situation I don't blame Kim one bit for saying what she said.

LesViolettes
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:58 AM
What's the problem? She must be tired. I don't know about you people, but when I'm sleepy I'm always pretty grumpy (two out of seven dwarves, allez!). I don't see why Kim should be any different. I'll tell you what, if she'd been all, "Oh yay I just won a tournament, yay! Now I get to jump on a plane after two hours of sleep and I'm just so happy and bubbly about it!" it would have been a HELL of a lot more annoying. Nobody likes a chipper girl. Remember that.

Portobello
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:07 AM
should fake injury to pull out :p :lol: :lol:

Rub
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:27 AM
have some good rest kim!

Hagar
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Kim def. Razzano 6-3, 6-0.

Sam L
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:45 AM
:yawn: I'm not liking Kim's attitude any more.

Girl, if you're going to be like that, BRING IT to the slams, otherwise just put up and shut up. :rolleyes:

tennnisfannn
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
she could still have said no to toronto and foregone the bonus check. The worst anyone can do to her is fine her and she is not short on the dollar!

alfonsojose
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Kim :hug: don't be so :sad: You'll have babies soon too :devil:

irma
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM
if Kim goes the wta and says "I don't want to play this tournament but I will play this or that one" then I doubt the wta will press her in playing especially not somebody who plays so many tournaments anyway!

why do I always hear about rules when it's about Kim that I never heard before anyway?

Dementinator
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM
there was an easy solution ,enter ,play crap in first match ,loose ,have some rest ,easy.

Aussie_Kim
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
what trouble? booed from the fans?
Exactly!
Why shouldn't she speak out on the unfair system the WTA has for making players go to tornaments they don't want to go to! Its about time someone did.
Kim you're too nice. She has the week after Toronto off & she played LA so she could be close to her boyfriend who was staying there with family! ;)

DA FOREHAND
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM
there was an easy solution ,enter ,play crap in first match ,loose ,have some rest ,easy.

Exactly! Go the Capriati route. TANK!

But seriously, it's more respectful to pull out and pay the fine than to show up and not put forth much effort.

Mon.
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Exactly!
Why shouldn't she speak out on the unfair system the WTA has for making players go to tornaments they don't want to go to! Its about time someone did.
Kim you're too nice. She has the week after Toronto off & she played LA so she could be close to her boyfriend who was staying there with family! ;)

Mandy :kiss: My thoughts exactly :devil:

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
don't cry for me Argentina. Just another example of Kim making a bad decision. She didn't NEED to fly out of L.A. on MONDAY morning at 7am to make it to a WEDNESDAY match in Toronto. She could have easily waited until the mid-afternoon and gotten a good night's sleep. That's just bad planning on her part, and she shouldn't complain about it. Grand Slam title contenders need to be on top of those kinds of details.

Actually the players usually have to be there by mid-day Monday for media committments, so she probably didn't have much choice on her flight time.

I dont blame Kim.. It is so much easier to play 3 tournaments in the same state, only a couple hours away from each other--- why should she give that up. Larry Scott needs to pull his head out of his arse and start looking at the schedule for these girls and also shorten the season before injuries destroy the tour....

DA FOREHAND
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Actually the players usually have to be there by mid-day Monday for media committments, so she probably didn't have much choice on her flight time.

I dont blame Kim.. It is so much easier to play 3 tournaments in the same state, only a couple hours away from each other--- why should she give that up. Larry Scott needs to pull his head out of his arse and start looking at the schedule for these girls and also shorten the season before injuries destroy the tour....

That's not his job. The players need to work out the kinks in thier own schedules to allow themselves proper rest. They know the the tour requirements and should work thier schedules accordingly.

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM
That's not his job. The players need to work out the kinks in thier own schedules to allow themselves proper rest. They know the the tour requirements and should work thier schedules accordingly.

Sorry, but I disagree... When you have a ranking system with a divisor of 18 topurnaments, as oppossed to the 12 tournamanet divisor system it used to be, the players have no choice but to play many tournaments. Plus, depending on their exempt level, they are REQUIRED to play a certain # of Tier Is, Tier IIs, etc... and there are only so many Tier Is during the year.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Sorry, but I disagree... When you have a ranking system with a divisor of 18 topurnaments, as oppossed to the 12 tournamanet divisor system it used to be, the players have no choice but to play many tournaments. Plus, depending on their exempt level, they are REQUIRED to play a certain # of Tier Is, Tier IIs, etc... and there are only so many Tier Is during the year.

So you'e saying they don't play or not play when they wish to play? The tour doesn't make up the players scedules, in fact the players have more imput as to when and where they play than the tour. As I stated in my previous post the tour has quidelines which the players (top players) must adhere to, and the players work thier schedules accordingly. Just because the system is set up w/18 tournaments as a divisor doesn't mean ea player must/or should play at least 18 tournaments. It has been proven over and over again that players can accomplish thier goals (rankings/slams) w/out overplaying.

Serena dominated the tour w/fewer than 18 tournaments. Each player needs to find thier own balance.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Kim could have flown at whatever damn time she wanted. If you are a player who is focused on winning a Grand Slam, you say, "FUCK the media committments, you're lucky i am even showing up at all, i'll see you on Tuesday." Kim is a fool for not doing this.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM
:yawn: I'm not liking Kim's attitude any more.

Girl, if you're going to be like that, BRING IT to the slams, otherwise just put up and shut up. :rolleyes:

:worship: exactly, it's an excuse-making kind of attitude.

Slumpsova
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Kim is even more desparate in her diary this week :sad: she said everyone would have a full rest before the Open besides her.

it seems that she wants to come home so bad. poor Kim, you should fake injury and pulling out.

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Kim could have flown at whatever damn time she wanted. If you are a player who is focused on winning a Grand Slam, you say, "FUCK the media committments, you're lucky i am even showing up at all, i'll see you on Tuesday." Kim is a fool for not doing this.

Yeah right.... tell your employer, "Fuck you, I am coming in at 12 noon, fuck the meeting this morning you scheduled." Sorry, but the grown up world don't work that way. It is called being responsible and honoring your work committments...

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM
So you'e saying they don't play or not play when they wish to play? The tour doesn't make up the players scedules, in fact the players have more imput as to when and where they play than the tour. As I stated in my previous post the tour has quidelines which the players (top players) must adhere to, and the players work thier schedules accordingly. Just because the system is set up w/18 tournaments as a divisor doesn't mean ea player must/or should play at least 18 tournaments. It has been proven over and over again that players can accomplish thier goals (rankings/slams) w/out overplaying.

Serena dominated the tour w/fewer than 18 tournaments. Each player needs to find thier own balance.

While the players can make their own schedules to a certain extent, I still the overall burden of responsibility lies with the governing body, The WTA Tour. Look at all the injuries going on right now--- you can not honestly say that it has nothing to do with the length of the season and the # of tournaments.

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I actually got a bad rep from Vogus ("stars like Kim can keep or cancel media committments at their own convenience. Proper rest has to come first.") for posting my opinion....

WOW.... people are crazy around here..... LOL

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah right.... tell your employer, "Fuck you, I am coming in at 12 noon, fuck the meeting this morning you scheduled." Sorry, but the grown up world don't work that way. It is called being responsible and honoring your work committments...

you obviously don't know much about how the tennis world works. Top players look out for their own interests first. Toronto was lucky Kim came. They would have taken whatever they could have gotten from her, and if Kim had said, "I'll be at the airport two hours before my first match" the tournie would have said, "great we'll have a limo there waiting for you, have a nice flight."

Ryan
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I agree, but it's not like they can fire Kim, or evne fine her for showing up the day of her match. I still love Kimmie, I just think if she knew she had to play here, she should have taken a week off beforehand.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I actually got a bad rep from Vogus ("stars like Kim can keep or cancel media committments at their own convenience. Proper rest has to come first.") for posting my opinion....

WOW.... people are crazy around here..... LOL

don't take it too personally, "good reps" and "bad reps" mean nothing at the end of the day. If i disagree strongly with somebody's post, i send them an "I disapprove of your post" message. It's really not a personal thing, it's just a form of communication.

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:02 PM
you obviously don't know much about how the tennis world works. Top players look out for their own interests first. Toronto was lucky Kim came. They would have taken whatever they could have gotten from her, and if Kim had said, "I'll be at the airport two hours before my first match" the tournie would have said, "great we'll have a limo there waiting for you, have a nice flight."

No, the players have responsibilities they are held accountable for. The rules are set up so that there must be a certain # of top ranked players at a Tier I. With all the withdrawls, the WTA tour can compel a player to play a tournament (happened in 2003 to Cappy for Moscow). Also, the tour will fine a player for missing their media committments. Then there is the matter of your professional image.... sure if you dont give a fuck about that, then go ahead and do as you please, but if you do, you honor your committments and responsibilities.

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I agree, but it's not like they can fire Kim, or evne fine her for showing up the day of her match. I still love Kimmie, I just think if she knew she had to play here, she should have taken a week off beforehand.

Actually, they do fine you for skipping your media committments.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM
No, the players have responsibilities they are held accountable for. The rules are set up so that there must be a certain # of top ranked players at a Tier I. With all the withdrawls, the WTA tour can compel a player to play a tournament (happened in 2003 to Cappy for Moscow). Also, the tour will fine a player for missing their media committments. Then there is the matter of your professional image.... sure if you dont give a fuck about that, then go ahead and do as you please, but if you do, you honor your committments and responsibilities.

players have to make choices. You can either waste your precious energy showing up at a bunch of press conferences, or you can take responsibility for your preparation and do what's best for you. There is absolutely NOTHING that the WTA can do to a player of Kim Clisters stature that would FORCE her to show up for media events if she feels she needs rest. If Kim doesn't skip the events to rest up, it is her own fault, so nobody wants to hear her complaining about it.

CanadianBoy21
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
GO KIM, I saw her practise yesterday and she was looking real happy and fit.
She practised UNBELIEVABLY

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:10 PM
just go and win it Kim... :D

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Actually, they do fine you for skipping your media committments.

as Justine has shown us, mulitmillionaire tennis stars are not deterred from acting in their own best interest by dinky little fines.

pigam
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Exactly!
Well, Kim really isn't the first player to say something about the scedule is she? Far from it. Justine, more then a year ago, said on her site that the WTA is squeezing the (top)players like lemons!
I understand what Kim is feeling (i.e. tired) but I don't understand why she is blaming the WTA for it. She could have foreseen that she would have to play all these matches, couldn't she? Not one other topplayer committed to soooooo many HC tournaments than she did! If you commit yourself, it's normal that you get a fine for not showing up, but why did she commit in the first place? In this case, I don't think the WTA can force her at all, because she isn't even on the "Gold exempt list".
Kim shouldn't act all sobby that 'other players get to rest while she has to play', because other players -probably- have a better scedule :shrug:
Besides, just a few weeks ago, she said she intntionnally planned so many tournaments on HC because it's her favourite period of the year. Good for her, but why complain now then?

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:24 PM
To each their own...... Kim cares about her professional reputation, and honors her committments..... others may not and that is their choice, but it may harm their relationship with the tour managment.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM
To each their own...... Kim cares about her professional reputation, and honors her committments..... others may not and that is their choice, but it may harm their relationship with the tour managment.

has it occurred to you that winning a Grand Slam title is also very important for a player's "professional reputation?"

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
That's not what is meant by professional reputation. Winning a Grand Slam is part of your professional achievements. Being a team player, honoring your responsibilities in your job, that is professional reputation

hablo
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I had read Kim's diary before and saw that comment about being forced to play Toronto... I think it's the WTA's fault for making the ranking the way it is : quantity over quality for ranking points :p

I feel you Kimmie :hug:

that being said, allez Momo :bounce: :allez:

Experimentee
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Kim is too nice. She shouldnt be letting people push her around. Just do whatever she wants to do, and cop the fine if necessary. Shes got enough money to pay, and its worth it if it results in winning the US Open rather than getting tired and losing.

thrust
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Kim- the Belgian airhead!! Noone forces anyone to play every tournament. She is making excuses why she probably will not win the USO

rjd1111
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM

That depends on how high up the Totem pole you are and/or what
your bank account looks like.

Remember the Golden Rule. He who has the Gold, Rules.

rjd1111
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Do you think Larry Scott or anyone else can make a Williams Sister play
a tournament they don't want to play in.

And I'm not talking about faking an injury. Remember IW. Everybody
in the Tennis hierarchy has tried to get them back there.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM
While the players can make their own schedules to a certain extent, I still the overall burden of responsibility lies with the governing body, The WTA Tour. Look at all the injuries going on right now--- you can not honestly say that it has nothing to do with the length of the season and the # of tournaments.

The injuries have nothing to do w/the length of the season. Justine realized she was doing damage to her body by playing too much, she's taken responsibility for that by altering her schedule. Venus and Serena were top five players and never played played tons of tournaments to sustain thier ranking, they played what was req. and where they wanted.

It's up to the individual player to decide what's in thier best interest, blaming injuries on the tour is part of this new age, it's not my fault mentallity that plagues society, especially here in the US.

Does anyone have the Tours tournament requirements?

DA FOREHAND
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM
That's not what is meant by professional reputation. Winning a Grand Slam is part of your professional achievements. Being a team player, honoring your responsibilities in your job, that is professional reputation

YOu can honor your responsibilities(committments) and also play a sensible schedule that allows for rest relaxation and preperation. This isn't rocket science.

People only do what you allow them to do.

Pinkie
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
If you commit yourself, it's normal that you get a fine for not showing up, but why did she commit in the first place? In this case, I don't think the WTA can force her at all, because she isn't even on the "Gold exempt list".

She did not commit to Toronto. At the beginning of the year, she committed to the three Cali tournaments. The WTA then asssigned her Toronto (they can assign one tournament to a player). So she never comitted to it. Having committed to the Cali tournaments, she would have been fined for either withdrawing from those or Toronto. I do agree that she should have taken the fine though.

pigam
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM
She did not commit to Toronto. At the beginning of the year, she committed to the three Cali tournaments. The WTA then asssigned her Toronto (they can assign one tournament to a player). So she never comitted to it. Having committed to the Cali tournaments, she would have been fined for either withdrawing from those or Toronto. I do agree that she should have taken the fine though.
ok then, thank you for explaining.
but are you sure this is true.
because I thought the WTA could only do this to players who are on the GElist and I don't think Kim was on that list at the beginning of the year :confused:

Pinkie
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:44 PM
ok then, thank you for explaining.
but are you sure this is true.
because I thought the WTA could only do this to players who are on the GElist and I don't think Kim was on that list at the beginning of the year :confused:

Well, I am just going by what she said in her press conference ysterday:

" I remember it from two years ago, coming, playing Stanford, San Diego, LA, I came here tired. I think I beat Schiavone in the first round and lost to Krasnoroutskaya. I was really exhausted after that match, or during that match I was so I was tired. So when I signed my commitment form at the start of this year, obviously I wasn't ?? I played the first three. Also with my wrist, I spoke to doctors, they were saying it's better that you're not ?? you don't play four tournaments in a row. So I didn't. I left it open.

But then I got hard?designated, I have no problem with it. I'm here. I'm happy to be here. It's a great event. It's the first time that I saw the new facilities. They look great. Looks like a Grand Slam almost. Everything is perfect here. I think they did a great job. "

pigam
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Well, I am just going by what she said in her press conference ysterday:

" I remember it from two years ago, coming, playing Stanford, San Diego, LA, I came here tired. I think I beat Schiavone in the first round and lost to Krasnoroutskaya. I was really exhausted after that match, or during that match I was so I was tired. So when I signed my commitment form at the start of this year, obviously I wasn't ?? I played the first three. Also with my wrist, I spoke to doctors, they were saying it's better that you're not ?? you don't play four tournaments in a row. So I didn't. I left it open.

But then I got hard?designated, I have no problem with it. I'm here. I'm happy to be here. It's a great event. It's the first time that I saw the new facilities. They look great. Looks like a Grand Slam almost. Everything is perfect here. I think they did a great job. "

mm... I really appreciate your effort to make this an interesting discussion, but this quote doesn't really clear things up for me :unsure:. Did the wta force her (i.e. threaten: if not you pay a huge fine) to play Toronto? if so: why?
Why is Larry Scott never interviewed about these things? :fiery:

Pinkie
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:01 PM
mm... I really appreciate your effort to make this an interesting discussion, but this quote doesn't really clear things up for me :unsure:. Did the wta force her (i.e. threaten: if not you pay a huge fine) to play Toronto? if so: why?
Why is Larry Scott never interviewed about these things? :fiery:

Does this clarify things? Let me see if I can find some info on the fines...

http://www.rogerscup.com/english/news/entry_announce.asp

"Maria, Serena , Venus, Justine and Amelie set to renew tennis rivalries in Toronto

World's Best headline Player Entry List for 2005 Rogers Cup, Presented by American Express

May 2, 2005 - Tennis Canada announced today the 12 “Gold Exempt” players on the official entry list for its premier Tier I women's tournament, to be held August 13-21 at the Rexall Centre in Toronto.

Under the improved WTA Tour Player Commitment System, “Gold Exempt” refers to top players who are contractually obligated to Tier I tournaments. Those committed to play in Toronto include 3 out of the top 4 players in the world and three former Rogers Cup champions. The list features a collection of young superstars and dynamic personalities who will compete for the high stakes this summer.

“The star power of this field is going to light-up Toronto,” said Tournament Director Stacey Allaster. “The combination of world-class athleticism and celebrity profile that these women bring to the court makes our tournament this summer's must-see event.”

Prior to the Tour Year, 20 top Sony Ericsson WTA Tour players (including the top 16 ranked singles players) are designated as “Gold Exempt” by the worldwide tournament directors. Gold exempt players are obligated to enter into Player Commitment contracts with the Tour and commit to a specific number of Tier I, Tier II and Tier III level Tournaments.

“The Tour has been proactive in dealing with the issue of player representation amongst Tier 1 Tournaments” added Allaster. “These improvements are progressive steps in ensuring our fans are treated to a world-class field.”

The complete 56-player main draw entry list for Toronto – along with four wild cards distributed at the discretion of Tennis Canada – will be announced in the weeks preceding the tournament .

Maria Sharapova , 18, will be one of the hottest players to invade Toronto this summer. The Russian sensation was awarded the 2004 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player of the Year Award after rising from No.13 to become the third youngest player in history to win at Wimbledon and winning the year-end tour championships. Of the three Tier 1 events she has played in 2005 she has been a semi-finalist, finalist and winner. A native of Siberia, the 18-year-old has taken both the tennis and celebrity worlds by storm.

Perennial power Serena Williams will look to repeat her winning ways in Toronto this summer. The World No.4 and 2005 Australian Open champion captured the Canadian title in 2001.

Fellow Rogers Cup titlist Justine Henin-Hardenne (2003) will look to add another major footprint to her 2005 comeback trail. The Belgian, a former World. No. 1, has already won two tournaments this season, proving that she is back on top of her game and ready to compete in Toronto. Another former World No.1, Kim Clijsters , will also be using the Rogers Cup to continue a strong 2005 season that already includes back to back Tier 1 victories at Indian Wells and Miami.

Defending champion and World No. 3 Amelie Mauresmo will face a determined field looking to dethrone her. A perennial fan-favourite in Canada, the French star will look to make it three titles in the last four years on Canadian soil having already won in 2002.

Former Wimbledon and US Open champion VENUS WILLIAMS , currently ranked No. 11, is also committed to the tournament. The senior Williams has compiled an impressive 31 WTA Tour singles titles over her career. Earlier this season the former World No. 1 defeated sister Serena in the quarterfinals of a Tier 1 event in Miami.

The 2005 Rogers Cup, presented by American Express will be a key event for the stars of women's tennis. Important US Open Series points are on the line (the tournament Champion in Toronto will increase their chances of doubling their prize money at the U.S. Open). The closely contested World No. 1 ranking could also be affected by what happens at the Rexall Centre August 13-21.

The US Open Series, launched in 2004, links the 5 women's summer tournaments, including the Rogers Cup, to the US Open, creating a cohesive summer hard court season. The US Open Series Bonus Challenge directly links players' performances at US Open Series events with their earnings at the US Open.

Gold Exempt Entry List, 2005 women's Rogers Cup, presented by American Express

Player

World Ranking*/Country

Maria Sharapova

No. 2/Russia

Amelie Mauresmo

No. 3/France

Serena Williams

No. 4/United States

Anastasia Myskina

No. 6/Russia

Svetlana Kuznetsova

No. 7/Russia

Vera Zvonareva

No. 10/Russia

Venus Williams

No. 11/United States

Elena Bovina

No. 14/Russia

Justine Henin-Hardenne

No. 15/Belgium

Kim Clijsters

No. 17/Belgium

Ai Sugiyama

No. 22/Japan

Mary Pierce

No. 27/France

Pinkie
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:04 PM
From the WTA rule book:

Failure or refusal to participate in a Tournament
where a player is designated by a SHD shall result in
the following fines:
(a) Gold Exempt players 1-10: $50,000 (unless
failure to adhere is the result of a Bona Fide
Injury or Illness (as defined in Section XII of
this Rulebook), in which case the fine shall be
reduced to $25,000);
(b) Gold Exempt players 11-20 $5,000 (unless
failure to adhere is the result of a Bona Fide
Injury or Illness, in which case the fine shall
be reduced to $2,500).

pigam
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM
thank you very very much.
So Kim IS on the GElist.
even sugyiama is :confused: wow!
thx anyhow. now this thread has a whole different meaning.
kim had the choice
- pull out of cali tournaments, she commited ==> fine
- pull out of toronto, WTA forced her ==> fine

ok, maybe she has the right to complain.
Only thing is that she maybe could have foreseen this and not scheduled the 3 cali tournaments.

TonyP
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Too many players are not living up to their commitments or finding the thinnest reasons for withdrawing. The tour is hurting mightily from this problem. The whole US Open "series" has been a giant bust because of it.

Kim can whine all she wants to, as long as she shows up and plays.

But a day of reconning is coming in women's tennis, probably in men's tennis as well. If you sell tickets to fans who are constantly disappointed because the stars don't show up, soon you will not be able to sell as many tickets, and tournaments will fail.

Besides, TV does not want to show finals on Sunday being played by unknown players. They want the stars. If they don't get them, the tournaments will not get the ratings and soon, they'll get no TV coverage, either.

Pinkie
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:10 PM
So Kim IS on the GElist.
kim had the choice

Only thing is that she maybe could have foreseen this and not scheduled the 3 cali tournaments.

Or, like I said, take the fine. It is a lot of money. But it's not like she can't afford it.

pigam
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Or, like I said, take the fine. It is a lot of money. But it's not like she can't afford it.
yeah exactly.
but then I can understand that she complains, because the wta forces her and then fines, which is different form her commiting, then not playing and getting fined because of it.
Had she said "I have a cold" (is this a 'bona fide injury'??) then they would lower her fine?
The system is kinda wobbly :unsure:

Pinkie
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:19 PM
yeah exactly.
form her commiting, then not playing and getting fined because of it.
Had she said "I have a cold" (is this a 'bona fide injury'??) then they would lower her fine?

I doubt it. I think I remember the Williams getting fined for withdrawing from tournaments citing an injury.

Crazy Canuck
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM
:)

TeamUSA#1
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:22 PM
YOu can honor your responsibilities(committments) and also play a sensible schedule that allows for rest relaxation and preperation. This isn't rocket science.

People only do what you allow them to do..

when you are hard designated to play, they can force you to play or suffer a $50K penalty. To me, that isnt in their span of control

CanadianBoy21
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:55 PM
You guys are hard on Kim.
Has it ever occured to you guys that she wants to move up the ranking to get a top 8 seeding or higher so she can go deeper in the Us Open and play less top players?
She is INCREASING her chance of winning if you ask me. She is also getting match play. She will have a week off while Pilot Pen is going on.
In three weeks you will see that she made a good choice.

Aussie_Kim
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:48 PM
So Kim IS on the GElist.
kim had the choice

I know that the WTA has tournament line ups to fill but I really think the fining system sucks.
If a player is genuinely injured & say they get injured at the start of the season & are out for the rest of the year, imagine all the tournaments they are committed too?
Also, its unfair that players can 'pretend' to be injured & get the same fine as someone who is genuinely injured!
But then the WTA rules have never made sense to me! :p

hablo
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:49 PM
You guys are hard on Kim.
Has it ever occured to you guys that she wants to move up the ranking to get a top 8 seeding or higher so she can go deeper in the Us Open and play less top players?
She is INCREASING her chance of winning if you ask me. She is also getting match play. She will have a week off while Pilot Pen is going on.
In three weeks you will see that she made a good choice.

:yeah:

griffin
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Too many players are not living up to their commitments or finding the thinnest reasons for withdrawing. The tour is hurting mightily from this problem. The whole US Open "series" has been a giant bust because of it.

Kim can whine all she wants to, as long as she shows up and plays.

And if she winds up injuring herself from overplaying?

I agree that there are probably some players who take withdrawing too lightly on occasion, and certainly the Tour has to live up to its committment to the tournaments.

But right now Kim is the one being punished for other people bailing out - the least they could do for players forced to pick up and extra tourney under the hard-designation rule is give them a "get out of jail free" card to use at a future tournament to make up for it.

vogus
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:39 PM

The hole in your and Kim's argument is that the commitments lists for the tournies come out only 7 weeks in advance. So if Kim got designated to Toronto early in the year, at that point she still could have withdrawn from one of the three Cali tournies without penalty. She chose not to. And she could have taken the 50,000$ hit and skipped Toronto (not a big fine considering winning the USO would be worth millions of $$ to Kim in prize money and endorsements). So she brought this on herself. Larry Scott is not Kim's boss.

*JR*
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
And if she winds up injuring herself from overplaying?

I agree that there are probably some players who take withdrawing too lightly on occasion, and certainly the Tour has to live up to its committment to the tournaments.

But right now Kim is the one being punished for other people bailing out - the least they could do for players forced to pick up and extra tourney under the hard-designation rule is give them a "get out of jail free" card to use at a future tournament to make up for it.
UR correct (and GE players should be able to trade SHD's with eachother, IMO). Oh, Rainer Hofmann is the #1 expert in using the WTA as a "get out of jail free" card.
:devil: