PDA

View Full Version : Where are the good youngsters?

Calimero377
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM
The AER can be no excuse - why are there so few really good teenage players?

We have only Screamerova, who is already 18.

Ivanovic and Golovin, both almost 18, struggle at #18 and #25.
Has there ever been a time when there were less up-and-coming players than today?

Most probably we will watch Enna win slams even in 5 or 7 years from now when there is no-one of the younger generation to threaten her!

Louis Cyphre
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:21 PM
please dont start again

Helen Lawson
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Joan Rivers tracked them down and drank their blood. Sorry, Joan, feeling old today.

spike83
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
we have Sesil, Nicole, Misha, Shahar, ....

TF Chipmunk
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Who is this Enna? :rolleyes:

spike83
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Who is this Enna? :rolleyes:

monsieur Henin-Hardenne

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
We won't see another Monica and Martina in a long time winning slams at 16 :worship:

alfajeffster
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:00 PM
If someone (ANYONE, PLEASE!) could get Angela Haynes to take a little frying pan off that forehand grip, and commit to serving and volleying with that lefty hook serve, all these girls would be outta here and she'd be a force to reckon with.

(in my humble opinion)

DragonFlame
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Has there ever been a time when there were less up-and-coming players than today?

Most probably we will watch Enna win slams even in 5 or 7 years from now when there is no-one of the younger generation to threaten her!

uhhum :o
1. ivanovic struggeling? :confused: that girl is playing great!
2. maybe there are less youngsters now because the level of womanstennis increased and it's more difficult for youngsters to adapt to the level it's now. maybe it shows it was easier to get into the top of womans tennis 10 years ago.
3. you are right, enna will be winning slams 5 years from now :)

gmak
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:16 PM
We won't see another Monica and Martina in a long time winning slams at 16 :worship:

well maria won a slam at 17 :worship:

seriously though, i agree with you...

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:21 PM
well maria won a slam at 17 :worship:

seriously though, i agree with you...

To be fair , she couldn't follow it up either so it doesn't really equate :wavey:

Roshane
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:27 PM
To be fair , she couldn't follow it up either so it doesn't really equate :wavey:

She followed it up with YEC, tier 1 and 2 titles and a world number 1. Another slam should follow soon.

Roshane
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM
So far out of all the teenages, Maria is proven.

The others like ivanovic, Golovin etc... have proven nothing at all just yet, but give them time.

Shonami Slam
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:21 PM
ivanovic is yet to make top10, so even if she's great, she's not huge for a youngster.
i think youngsters at the top has changed.
with nick bolleteri's academy, we are seeing more and more beautiful, young, athletic girls who have half an eye on the tv all the time.
looking at seles' hairdo's when she was 16, graf at 17 or hingis - you get the picture that they were there to play tennis (and some times bitch around and about :) )
jankovic, sharapova, sesil - they are too beautiful, it seems.

gmak
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:31 PM
well 2 of these youngsters are in the last 16 at toronto :devil:

Slumpsova
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:32 PM
AER sucks, it prevents the miracle, such as Capriati, Seles, Hingis, happens on tour these days.

*Karen*
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Look at the players in tunas sig. Some of them will win slams but why do they need to do it in their teens.

andrewC
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Joan Rivers tracked them down and drank their blood. Sorry, Joan, feeling old today.

haha i like joan, she's funny, but her chat show she had on channel 5 in the UK sucked :o

canoe.
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Some of them will win slams but why do they need to do it in their teens. Exactly.
Hopefully the days of a 16yr, winning 3 out of 4 slams, is over!
Having little girls win slams does nothing for the sports credibility.

ezekiel
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Good point. That's one of the reasons for AER

Volcana
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM
The AER can be no excuse - why are there so few really good teenage players?Perhaps your expectations are excessive. I agree the AER is no excuse.

Has there ever been a time when there were less up-and-coming players than today?[/QUOTE]Probably. I agree the AER is irrelevant. The Williams sisters put that to bed long ago.

But the new players are dealing with 6-8 players who are WAY better than them, and another 4-6 who are quite a bit better. Expecting GS finals or something at this stage is not realistic. There are no Venus' in that bunch, outside of maybe Sharapova.

Stamp Paid
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:37 AM

Dont worry - Im sure the Graf spawn Jaden and Jaz will be the next good up and comers.

DragonFlame
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:54 AM
i also think because of the different type of play. i'll call it the powerplay(some people say it's introduced by seles/williams), it's more difficult for youngsters to become one of the topplayers at young age because they are physically not completely full-grown yet. some teenagers can handle the power after a lot of training but there are far less then in the old days because the tennistype of a topplayer has become different. i think this has a huge influance because they just lack the power to compete at the highest level.