PDA

View Full Version : Nastya's strokes

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:36 PM
are so soft. I'm kind of shocked how they don't get eaten up...

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Not true. She hits flat. She spent time with Lansdorp.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
She's not hitting particularly hard today...

In fact, I think she generally mad much more pace on her shots last year. :shrug:

frenchie
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Hitting hard on every shots has never been her way to win every points!

Derek.
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM
She isn't as confident as last year so she can't got for her shots and I think that's a reason why she is hitting softer.

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hitting hard on every shots has never been her way to win every points!

Not all of them are, but quite a few are very soft (today?). Granville is whacking the ball on some points in comparison.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Nastya is a box of tricks
all her shots are diff speeds

she suddenly lets one fly and you're left looking :shrug:

and when she's in the mood, she can blast really well.

frenchie
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Not all of them are, but quite a few are very soft (today?). Granville is whacking the ball on some points in comparison.

Actually I think it's a good gameplan against Granville. the girl has no variation and likes pace ;)

miffedmax
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Then, of course, there are the strokes Nasty gives her fans . . .

selyoink
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:44 AM

:lol: How true.

cellophane
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM

Well, those are NOT mild. ;) I am surprised though. Some of the shots looked positively cream puff.

Ceecor
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Nastya is a box of tricks
all her shots are diff speeds

she suddenly lets one fly and you're left looking :shrug:

and when she's in the mood, she can blast really well.

Indeed...watching her mid last year..she seemed to have the ability to (out of the blue against the run of play) place the ball in the either corner at the top of the court with pin point acc'. interesting if she regains that kind of play.

njnetswill
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Myskina used to hit it hard and flat. she could use angles really well too. Now her game always looks like it's about to come apart. :(

matthieu_tennis
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:19 AM
in forehand she doesnt hit very hard grandvill in forehand rallys was dominating myskina is all about her backhand

DomenicDemaria
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:51 AM
I am not shocked. Maybe she was belting it at the start of the year and that iis why she was losing. Maybe she is trying something new. At this years AO against Dechy her forehand was sooooooooooo pathetic. Her backhand is her best shot. Cellophane did she try to move Granville around or was she just getting her shots into court?

tennisIlove09
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I saw her match with Granville today...and I actually think she's become more aggressive?

I havent seen that many of her matches...but I did see the 04 QF, SF, F in Paris...and I really found that in those matches she didn't hit that hard...she really was just quick and steady (much like Hingis, but with a better serve), and she waited for Venus, Jen, Elena to make the errors. Today, I thought her groundies were much better.

cellophane
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I am not shocked. Maybe she was belting it at the start of the year and that iis why she was losing. Maybe she is trying something new. At this years AO against Dechy her forehand was sooooooooooo pathetic. Her backhand is her best shot. Cellophane did she try to move Granville around or was she just getting her shots into court?

She seemed to be doing a lot of that.

V-MAC
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM

mmmm soft strokes eh?! :drool: ahem sorry *cough* :o :o :o

Spunky83
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
You never know with her. At Wimby her shots seemed pretty powerful also in her match against Venus in Fed Cup. It also depends on their opponent and their game style. Normally, the faster the opponent plays, the harder she tries to hit back, the slower the opponent plays, the harder it is for her to bring the ball back...most effective way to win against Nastya is to put in a lot of slices and mixing up the pace, trying to give her no angle.

If her forehand and second serve donīt work, itīs always a sign of lacking focuse and self-assurance in her. However, we all know her game this year has not been like her usual one. She fights trough her matches and at the moment, this is the most important thing. Would be great if she can find her game again though;)

Dementirilenko
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
She isn't as confident as last year so she can't got for her shots and I think that's a reason why she is hitting softer.

Yeah, right. Nastya isn't that confident during this season, cause she has private problems. Her mother is very ill, and that makes her a bit sad. It is also not normal for her that she wins every match in three sets. She will get her confidence back, I am sure.

cellophane
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, right. Nastya isn't that confident during this season, cause she has private problems. Her mother is very ill, and that makes her a bit sad. It is also not normal for her that she wins every match in three sets. She will get her confidence back, I am sure.

I don't know if it's that right now. She seems to be unfocused when she serves it out. Her mom is going to be with her at the US Open from what I think she said.

Spunky83
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
I don't know if it's that right now. She seems to be unfocused when she serves it out. Her mom is going to be with her at the US Open from what I think she said.

We should stop worrying that much. Sheīs playing a lot better now than she did a couple of months ago (even I could have beaten her). Itīs a progression. A slow one though but still a little progression. We canīt expect her to rise up to 100% again just because her mum is doing a lot better now. She has lost so many matches and it will certainly take a while for her to remember the feeling to be a dominant player. I am sure she will find her way back, if not this year, then next. Patience is a value;)

miffedmax
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM
We should stop worrying that much. Sheīs playing a lot better now than she did a couple of months ago (even I could have beaten her). Itīs a progression. A slow one though but still a little progression. We canīt expect her to rise up to 100% again just because her mum is doing a lot better now. She has lost so many matches and it will certainly take a while for her to remember the feeling to be a dominant player. I am sure she will find her way back, if not this year, then next. Patience is a value;)

Agreed. As I pointed out before, since the start of Wimbledon Nasty's put together a pretty good run of play. Even the loss to Srebotnik wasn't that bad. Srebotnik is having a decent year with two (albeit minor) titles and is a player who can get on a hot streak and beat higher ranked players.

I think she's going to be a factor at the US Open and for 2006. Which is good, because she is certainly one of the most entertaining players on the tour.

Ryan
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:42 PM
After the match, Nastya said she was trying to take pace off her shots and change it up, because Laura likes pace. Her shots looked great to me, except for a streak in the second set.