PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Serena will withdraw from Toronto?

safinforlife
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:06 PM
???

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM
She’ll play, but she won’t win the tournament playing the way she played yesterday.
I think she’ll continue to work on her endurance, mobility, and match play.
I just don’t see her dropping out. This is the only tournament she's playing before the USO.
She needs the practice.

*Karen*
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah she withdraws from most tournements.

frenchie
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:15 PM
No she'll play to try, at least...

DA FOREHAND
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Where's the who cares option? I hope Serena does what she thinks is in her best interest.

Geisha
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
She won't withdraw now. She'll withdraw after her R16 match and I hope she does...No need to lose to Clijsters while being injured.

Lady
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM
She says she's playing, I believe her. ;)

Helen Lawson
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM
If she bails, she usually bails before it starts, so I assume she's here until she loses or wins the tournament.

Paneru
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:12 PM
So just because she played a bad
match she's all of the sudden going
to withdraw? :rolleyes:

She'll continue to play unless
she is hurting.

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:13 PM
So just because she played a bad
match she's all of the sudden going
to withdraw? :rolleyes:

She'll continue to play unless
she is hurting.
agree ;)

TF Chipmunk
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Why would she withdraw if she's not injured?

tennisIlove09
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Serena's Status In Question After Toronto Win
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/SerenaServeAusOpen05Angle.jpg
Photo By Ron Angle By Tennis Week
08/17/2005

Serena Williams was on the verge of a breakdown. Down a set, reduced to a hobble by throbbing pain in her left ankle and knee and thoroughly frustrated by her inability to find the court in her first match since Wimbledon, the former No. 1 stared at her racquet with bad intentions.

Then Williams looked to her racquet bag containing several more Wilson frames and was struck by a nearly overwhelming urge: to smash every racquet she owned in a Safinesque-show of therapy.

& "I was so angry, I just wanted to crack every racquet," Williams admitted. "But I didn’t do it. That’s a plus."

Williams resisted the breakdown, but is now wondering whether she can hold up for the duration of the tournament.

The fifth-seeded American fought back to forge a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over lucky loser Stephanie Cohen-Aloro in last night's Rogers Cup second-round match in Toronto. Williams won the match, but may have lost her ability to remain in the tournament.

The Australian Open champion, who withdrew from Stanford and Carson citing the nagging left ankle injury that has plagued her since she rolled her ankle and was forced to retire from her Amelia Island quarterfinal match against Silvia Farina Elia on April 8th, said she will have her knee examined by trainer Kerry Brooks before deciding whether to play her round of 16 match on Thursday. Williams underwent surgery to repair a partial tear in the mid-portion of her quadriceps tendon of her left knee on August 2nd, 2003 and was sidelined for eight months. She said her ankle injury weakened her left knee, limiting her mobility.

"Since it went bad, my ankle, my knee got a little weak — weaker than it has been in the past," Williams said. "The way I felt tonight, I didn't feel very good at all. I wasn't even moving to any balls."

The Rogers Cup is Williams' lone warm-up tournament for the U.S. Open. The two-time U.S. Open champion insists her ongoing health issues will not prevent her from playing the season's final Grand Slam.

"I'm playing," said Williams, when asked about her status for the U.S. Open.

Hagar
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:28 PM
She withdrew.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-torontomasters-williamsout&prov=ap&type=lgns

Paneru
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:31 PM
As i said, she would continue to
play unless she was hurting.

She's in pain and will now go home
and try to be ready for the US Open.

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:34 PM
As i said, she would continue to
play unless she was hurting.

She's in pain and will now go home
and try to be ready for the US Open.