Aug 17th, 2005, 01:35 AM
What a fight.

Nice job, Rena!

frenchie
ouf!

Knizzle
My SB still has 40-30 mp. Anyway, sorry haters, put the celebration on hold.

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM
:clap2: to Serena. Wish I could have seen the match but I am happy for the win and Serena's fight.

Paialii
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I'm /watching/ the match live. She won. ;)

Brooks.
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:37 AM
:hearts: :worship: :bounce: thank goodness..........Keep fighting Serena! :kiss:

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:38 AM
no masturbation for the haters today :devil:

Rena the nerve to make my heart race like that hope the rustyness is part from the past :yeah:

Gratz Rena :woohoo: :bounce: :banana:

safinforlife
Good Job Serena, good luck in the next round. who can she play next?

sioul
she fought very hard to hold onto this match! specially in the second set, i was almost 99% sure she was going to retire... :hearts:

tenn_ace
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:39 AM
using this poster words:

Serena got lucky :mad:

SCA, good effort!

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Rena! :hearts: Welldone. :D

A very good, solid first match for her. Exactly what she needed. :bounce:

SCA :sad: Very close. Badluck. :sad:

Chunchun
:worship: :angel:

Andrew..
I'm starting to like her more.

cellophane
Too bad for Steph, really. Bad call in the last game, which would have given her another break point. She definitely needs to work on that first serve - it's let her down so much. She was challenging Serena on her serve.

Paialii
Some pics that haven't been posted yet (see others in the "How is Serena playing?" thread)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050817/capt.cpth12208170109.toronto_masters_cpth122.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050817/capt.cpth12408170115.toronto_masters_cpth124.jpg

If you want to see some more, go to Getty Images, they have some up under editorial>sport

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:41 AM
using this poster words:

You get lucky by winning tie breakers by a small margin, you don't get lucky coming back from a set down 2-0 and winning the whole thing.

Davenselesport
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Um why is a 3 set victory over someone ranked in the 90s so impressive?

Serena needs to step it up, but I'm sure she will

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:42 AM
You get lucky by winning tie breakers by a small margin, you don't get lucky coming back from a set down 2-0 and winning the whole thing.
:yeah:

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Me throughout the match:
:speakles:.................:banghead:............. ...:sad:............:sobbing:.............:drink:. .......:scared:..........:banana:................. :scared:...........
:banana:..............:scared::banana:............ ...:bounce::dance::yippee::woohoo:

I'm fucking worn out.
:yawn:.....:zzz:
:lol: :lol: u must be exausted :lol:

Paialii
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:45 AM

It's impressive because she's rusty and came from a set down to win it.

Roger Federer last night didn't lose a set but he was tested quite a bit by James Blake (who's ranked lower than this Alora girl). Both sets came down to just a few points, really. Even the best can be tested when they're rusty. We're happy to see her move on so that she has the CHANCE to shake off the rust.

tenn_ace

:worship: exactly my thoughts on Sveta's win today... Apparently, RenaSlam thinks differently.

Diesel

It seems to me people are happy Serena fought back to win. Serena fans are always going to be impressed with her fighting spirit. It's been acknowledged that this was harder than most would have liked and the fact is Serena struggled. No one is making this out to be a slam final :rolleyes:

safinforlife
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:47 AM
who will she play next?

RenaSlam.
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:47 AM
using this poster words:

Note: Tenn_ace changed my words... :rolleyes:

I clearly said: Kuz got lucky :o

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:48 AM
:worship: exactly my thoughts on Sveta's win today... Apparently, RenaSlam thinks differently.

RenaSlam can think however he wants to think. It is his right to think that way, but another viewpoint was presented and lucky is far from being accurate with what Serena showed today. Lucky would have been Serena playing like crap and being able to close out her opponent who wasn't able to capitalize in two easy straight sets.

K-Dog
Serena needs to step it up!! No reason to go three against Cohen-Aloro!! Go get um Serena!!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Congrats Serena!!! Good luck in the next round :smooch:

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:50 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050817/capt.cpth12208170109.toronto_masters_cpth122.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050817/capt.cpth12408170115.toronto_masters_cpth124.jpg
:worship: :worship: :worship:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
What is wrong with Serena now Days.. GOing 3 sets with Haynes, Santangelo, and now Cohen-Aloro.. Serena should and would never lose sets to players like this.. How can an ankle injury affect her game so much.. Its like it has taken away her power also.. IDK.. She does need to step it up if she wants to win.. Go SERENA!

ezekiel
It seems like after every error Venus starts to gingerly walk, not to mention weep and touch her thighs seemingly in pain but she seems quiet happy and almost giggling when she gets a point especially that one before last when she was awarded a point when the ball was clearly out? Is she preparing already for her hollywood carreer?

Staticbeef
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Some pics that haven't been posted yet (see others in the "How is Serena playing?" thread)

If you want to see some more, go to Getty Images, they have some up under editorial>sport
:bounce: :bounce: Thank you, :wavey:

tenn_ace
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:51 AM
give a girl a break... she just came back from an injury... obviously she's rusty.

Infiniti2001
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:52 AM
using this poster words:

They just can't look away :lol:

SelesFan70
This result isn't surprising. I thought she'd win in straights, but since she's coming off a 6-week absence I'd say it's to be expected she'd struggle. From what I can tell, it was a nice fight from Miss S J Williams.

tenn_ace
They just can't look away :lol:

nope. :wavey:

Staticbeef
It seems like after every error Venus starts to gingerly walk, not to mention weep and touch her thighs seemingly in pain but she seems quiet happy and almost giggling when she gets a point especially that one before last when she was awarded a point when the ball was clearly out? Is she preparing already for her hollywood carreer?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:53 AM

It was Serena who was playing today. Not Venus.

ampers&
It seems like after every error Venus :retard: starts to gingerly walk, not to mention weep and touch her thighs seemingly in pain but she seems quiet happy and almost giggling when she gets a point especially that one before last when she was awarded a point when the ball was clearly out? Is she preparing already for her hollywood carreer?
I think you meant Serena, hon. :rolleyes:

Paialii
What is wrong with Serena now Days.. GOing 3 sets with Haynes, Santangelo, and now Cohen-Aloro.. Serena should and would never lose sets to players like this.. How can an ankle injury affect her game so much.. Its like it has taken away her power also.. IDK.. She does need to step it up if she wants to win.. Go SERENA!

When you're injured and try to play, you can't make your shots because you can't move your feet. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. As for NOW, she's rusty because she hasn't played a match since Wimbledon 3rd round. As someone who watched the match, it looked to me that she tried playing more patient and passive for the first set and maybe 1/2 the second set before she realized that it wasn't working for her. She started cranking up her shots and really started playing well. Hopefully she can get the rust off and play a really nice tourny from here on.

bandabou
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Considering this was her first match in months, this was a nice comeback victory. Now get some practice and keep honing the game.

go hingis
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:55 AM
no masturbation for the haters today :devil:

Rena the nerve to make my heart race like that hope the rustyness is part from the past :yeah:

Gratz Rena :woohoo: :bounce: :banana:

Damn, maybe next time ;)

ezekiel
Of course I meant Serena and I watched a match too unlike you :smash:

Infiniti2001

Well Serena's last match was late in June. Of course she's dealing with rust :rolleyes:

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:56 AM

And yet you couldn't get the name or person who was actually playing correctly :smash:

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Of course I meant Serena and I watched a match too:retard: unlike you :smash:
I think you meant "I also watched the match," hon. :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:57 AM

You can go back and edit it. :D

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:59 AM
And yet you couldn't get the name or person who was actually playing correctly :smash:

:lol: they are sisters and quiet easy to mistake and I am friggin tired so it's an insignificant mistake

Infiniti2001
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:00 AM
:lol: they are sisters and quiet easy to mistake and I am friggin tired so it's an insignificant mistake

Uh no, Venus is tall , while serena is shorter and muscular.

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:02 AM

Because they are all good players!

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Uh no, Venus is tall , while serena is shorter and muscular.
Serena also has a curly weave whilst Venus had braids. :dance:

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:03 AM

They aren't quite easy to mistake. Venus is Venus, and Serena is Serena. If you watched you would have an even easier time of telling the difference by hearing Serena repeated over and over and actually seeing her face, body, and game. I've never known someone to be that tired especially when they were trying to be insulting in the first place.

ezekiel
You forgot that Serena has big boobs too :lol:
How could I mistake them ? :smash:
Well I woke up very early today so I am a bit tired

tennisbum79

It is not as much the 3-set score as it is how she did it. For a minute, it in the first and beginning of the second set , it flashed back to Wimbledon.

But she hung in there and put her game together to win.
So it is not the score per se, it is how she won.

V.S.
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Keep fighting Serena! Good job!

Oneofakind0490
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM
People leave the kid alone. he made a simple mistake and you are attackign him like you didnt have food for days and were starving. It was a msitake. You don't need to blow it out of proportion.

Vaidisova
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Serena almost blows it

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20050816/wtenndu0816a/serena2.jpg

By ERIC DUHATSCHEK

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 Updated at 10:02 PM EDT

Serena Williams almost lost to somebody you never heard of Tuesday night, which made you think:

a) she thought about tanking the match to get out of Toronto ASAP;

b) her left ankle and/or knee is hurt much more than she's letting on, putting her U.S. Open aspirations in jeopardy; or

c) Pretty In Pink (the color of last night's dramatic tennis outfit) isn't a real good look for her.

The answer is probably b) with a hint of c) because the one thing that Williams does is compete hard once she's decided to play a match. Williams talks about the example set by Tiger Woods, the golfer, her role model.

For the record, the fifth-seeded Williams defeated Frenchwoman Stephanie Cohen-Aloro, the 91st-ranked player in the world, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 in a three-set match. Cohen-Aloro got into the tournament as a lucky loser after Kveta Peschke of the Czech Republic withdrew because of a back injury.

Williams said she would consult with the tour's physiotherapist before deciding whether to continue.

"I didn't feel very good at all," said Williams. "I wasn't moving to the balls. I'll have tomorrow off, so maybe that can help."

The Rogers Cup is important to Williams because it's her only pre-U.S. Open tune-up. No matter what happens here, Williams suggested she would play the Open, which begins on Aug. 29 in Flushing, N.Y.

"I prepared very hard for this tournament," said Williams. "I practiced every day for three weeks, which is a lot for me."

Williams' health has been an issue all year, beginning at the Italian Open in May. She skipped the French Open and lost in the third round at Wimbledon, her last appearance before the Rogers Cup, after withdrawing from three consecutive tournaments in California. Against Cohen-Aloro, Williams had trouble retrieving everything to her left and struggled terribly in the first half of the match.

"I was down and out," said Williams. "I was so mad, I wanted to crack every racquet in my bag — but I didn't do it."

In all, Williams made 21 unforced errors in the opening set compared to just seven for Cohen-Aloro.

Cohen-Aloro was up 2-0 in the second set and it looked as if there was an upset in the making, but Williams broke back to get it to 2-2. At that point, Cohen-Aloro, aware that she actually had a chance against Williams, started to falter and play more tentatively. The moment seemed to overwhelm her and Williams, sensing an opening, went into all-or-nothing mode, teeing off on every shot that came into her wheelhouse, making some and missing others by miles.

Williams broke serve three times in the second set to square the match and then gutted it out in the third. Even though she couldn't plant her foot properly, Williams found a way to win enough points to overcome Cohen-Aloro's challenge.

"I was really out here fighting," Williams told TSN after the match. "It was all I had tonight."

It remains to be seen how she does once the competition picks up. She is seeded to meet No. 14 Flavia Pennetta in the second round and if she gets past her, will run into Kim Cjisters, seeded No. 7 and climbing in the rankings rapidly, in the quarter-finals.

Williams, the current Australian Open champion, lamented the fact that she isn't able to play at her old level anymore.

"It's disappointing to go and think, 'a couple of months ago, I would have got that shot. I guess I just have to work through it sometimes. It gets a little upsetting."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050816.wtenndu0816a/BNStory/Sports/

Stamp Paid
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Well I woke up very early today so I am a bit tired

Zeke...go take your Ritalin..and get some :zzz:

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM
People leave the kid alone. he made a simple mistake and you are attackign him like you didnt have food for days and were starving. It was a msitake. You don't need to blow it out of proportion.

He got the response he deserved. Nothing more and nothing less.

Staticbeef
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Well I woke up very early today so I am a bit tired :yawn: Yup, that explains it quite well, how could we not understand :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

RenaSlam.
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Serena, if you are injured...PULL OUT!

I wanna see you at the Open...:sad: :sad: :sad:

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:13 AM
They aren't quite easy to mistake. Venus is Venus, and Serena is Serena. If you watched you would have an even easier time of telling the difference by hearing Serena repeated over and over and actually seeing her face, body, and game. I've never known someone to be that tired especially when they were trying to be insulting in the first place.

Ok, are you saying I didn't see the match? :tape:
Well I could almost tell you what camera was Richard Williams using if you don't believe me.

I wasn't insulting , maybe you are hyper sensitive. Serena behaved like a biggest primadonna out there and I think you should appreciate my input. She was so clearly acting up and disrespecting her opponent. When she started to cry, it was very touching but from then on it really got worse and it really didn't change in the last set when she was clearly up.

After every point she lost she acted injured but was healthy when she started winning. This was all the more obvious since they were both running rallies of 3,4,5 games . Aloro played very good and was outplaying Serena most of the match if not for ungodly amount of df's she would have won this match. Still it was the best match so far

tennisbum79
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Serena almost blows it

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20050816/wtenndu0816a/serena2.jpg

By ERIC DUHATSCHEK

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 Updated at 10:02 PM EDT

Serena Williams almost lost to somebody you never heard of Tuesday night, which made you think:

a) she thought about tanking the match to get out of Toronto ASAP;

b) her left ankle and/or knee is hurt much more than she's letting on, putting her U.S. Open aspirations in jeopardy; or

c) Pretty In Pink (the color of last night's dramatic tennis outfit) isn't a real good look for her.

The answer is probably b) with a hint of c) because the one thing that Williams does is compete hard once she's decided to play a match. Williams talks about the example set by Tiger Woods, the golfer, her role model.

For the record, the fifth-seeded Williams defeated Frenchwoman Stephanie Cohen-Aloro, the 91st-ranked player in the world, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 in a three-set match. Cohen-Aloro got into the tournament as a lucky loser after Kveta Peschke of the Czech Republic withdrew because of a back injury.

Williams said she would consult with the tour's physiotherapist before deciding whether to continue.

"I didn't feel very good at all," said Williams. "I wasn't moving to the balls. I'll have tomorrow off, so maybe that can help."

The Rogers Cup is important to Williams because it's her only pre-U.S. Open tune-up. No matter what happens here, Williams suggested she would play the Open, which begins on Aug. 29 in Flushing, N.Y.

"I prepared very hard for this tournament," said Williams. "I practiced every day for three weeks, which is a lot for me."

Williams' health has been an issue all year, beginning at the Italian Open in May. She skipped the French Open and lost in the third round at Wimbledon, her last appearance before the Rogers Cup, after withdrawing from three consecutive tournaments in California. Against Cohen-Aloro, Williams had trouble retrieving everything to her left and struggled terribly in the first half of the match.

"I was down and out," said Williams. "I was so mad, I wanted to crack every racquet in my bag — but I didn't do it."

In all, Williams made 21 unforced errors in the opening set compared to just seven for Cohen-Aloro.

Cohen-Aloro was up 2-0 in the second set and it looked as if there was an upset in the making, but Williams broke back to get it to 2-2. At that point, Cohen-Aloro, aware that she actually had a chance against Williams, started to falter and play more tentatively. The moment seemed to overwhelm her and Williams, sensing an opening, went into all-or-nothing mode, teeing off on every shot that came into her wheelhouse, making some and missing others by miles.

Williams broke serve three times in the second set to square the match and then gutted it out in the third. Even though she couldn't plant her foot properly, Williams found a way to win enough points to overcome Cohen-Aloro's challenge.

"I was really out here fighting," Williams told TSN after the match. "It was all I had tonight."

It remains to be seen how she does once the competition picks up. She is seeded to meet No. 14 Flavia Pennetta in the second round and if she gets past her, will run into Kim Cjisters, seeded No. 7 and climbing in the rankings rapidly, in the quarter-finals.

Williams, the current Australian Open champion, lamented the fact that she isn't able to play at her old level anymore.

"It's disappointing to go and think, 'a couple of months ago, I would have got that shot. I guess I just have to work through it sometimes. It gets a little upsetting."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050816.wtenndu0816a/BNStory/Sports/

This is not very reassuring in the long run. Not just the US Open.
What happened with the physical therapy phase of the recovery?
Did did not she feel this pain during the pratice sessions the last three weeks?

Stamp Paid
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Well I could almost tell you what camera was Richard Williams using if you don't believe me.

I wasn't insulting , maybe you are hyper sensitive. Serena behaved like a biggest primadonna out there and I think you should appreciate my input. She was so clearly acting up and disrespecting her opponent. When she started to cry, it was very touching but from then on it really got worse and it really didn't change in the last set when she was clearly up.

After every point she lost she acted injured but was healthy when she started winning. This was all the more obvious since they were both running rallies of 3,4,5 games . Aloro played very good and was outplaying Serena most of the match if not for ungodly amount of df's she would have won this match. Still it was the best match so far

Roll Call Alert!

Ezekiel is the newest Serena hater. Beating darrinbaker00 by about 2 1/2 hours.

:bounce:

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:20 AM

Well did you watch the match? If you recollect seeing Venus and not Serena that makes it all the more questionable.

Insinuating that she was acting and perhaps for an agenda is insulting. As far as her crying how can it be touching when she's crying? And if her opponent was distracted from whatever was happening with Serena she shouldn't be on the pro circuit.

By your words that you seem to appreciate, Aloro should have won. She was by your accounts playing better but yet she lost in three. One has to wonder if Aloro was the actress, pretending she was actually good for a quick minute and then disappearing. Either way, I'm happy with the outcome.

Stamp Paid
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:22 AM

Please, explain the disrespectful behavior towards Cohen-Aloro.

"Acted like she was injured"? Are you the tours physiotherapist? So she wasfaking injury just to fool Ezekiel and the other 500,000 or so canadians that "no, im really not losing to cohen Aloro, Im really injured."

Eekiel, get the phuck outta here.

RenaSlam.
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:24 AM

"Acted like she was injured"? Are you the tours physiotherapist? So she wasfaking injury just to fool Ezekiel and the other 500,000 or so canadians that "no, im really not losing to cohen Aloro, Im really injured."

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Best Post of 2005 :bounce:

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:24 AM
All things considered, a win is a nice way to get her hardcourt season underway. As we all know, Serena hasn't played a match since the 3rd round of Wimbledon- over six weeks ago. This match presented Cohen with the perfect opportunity to take it to Serena- so kudos to her very trying to sieze the moment. Aside from dealing with all the normal 'stuff' one deals with, when making a comeback, she also has the added pressure of being the overwhelming favorite and of course she knows all eyes are on her this week. Even Serena feels pressure from time to time. Right now Serena needs time on the court, so while her three sets win may be a bit of a disapointment for some, I think it can actually work to her advantage. She needs to get match tough in a real hurry cuz the rounds aren't getting any easier.

Those hopeful that her performance today is a sign that she is far from her old 'winning self' have to wait at least another day before breaking into celebration.

GO SERENA!!!! (nice to have you back!)

barmaid
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Serena, if you are injured...PULL OUT!

I wanna see you at the Open...:sad: :sad: :sad:

It was painful to watch Serena tonight..yeah! she "gutted" it out but against a 91th ranked player she almost lost to...she was definitely injured out there:sad: and agree she should pull out and try to strengthen her leg for the U. S. Open...her next opponent just might have a "serve" which will finish her off for sure!:eek: Serena just said on TV she's going to check with her therapist before she continues.

barmaid:wavey:

selyoink
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:29 AM
I knew Serena would be rusty but I still didn't think she would drop a set to Cohen-Aloro. Still the first match is often the toughest after a layoff. She should win a couple more matches but not sure if she is match fit for the title.

Edit: After reading the article on the match you have to wonder how hurt Serena really is. Her injuries don't seem to be healing with the rest she is taking. Maybe a longer layoff is needed for her to heal. I expect her to play the US Open but if she is really hurting maybe she will take the rest of the year off.

RenaSlam.
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM
All things considered, a win is a nice way to get her hardcourt season underway. As we all know, Serena hasn't played a match since the 3rd round of Wimbledon- over six weeks ago. This match presented Cohen with the perfect opportunity to take it to Serena- so kudos to her very trying to sieze the moment. Aside from dealing with all the normal 'stuff' one deals with, when making a comeback, she also has the added pressure of being the overwhelming favorite and of course she knows all eyes are on her this week. Even Serena feels pressure from time to time. Right now Serena needs time on the court, so while her three sets win may be a bit of a disapointment for some, I think it can actually work to her advantage. She needs to get match tough in a real hurry cuz the rounds aren't getting any easier.

Those hopeful that her performance today is a sign that she is far from her old 'winning self' have to wait at least another day before breaking into celebration.

My sentiments exactly. Well said, Stefwhit. :worship:

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Well did you watch the match? If you recollect seeing Venus and not Serena that makes it all the more questionable.
Yes I did see it. I don't recollect seeing Venus but I do recollect mistyping Serena's name for Venus and that's the end of that story.

Insinuating that she was acting and perhaps for an agenda is insulting. As far as her crying how can it be touching when she's crying? And if her opponent was distracted from whatever was happening with Serena she shouldn't be on the pro circuit.
It was my impression that she was acting up.
She was clearly rusty but didn't seem injured but was acting like half the time. Perhaps she just doesn't respect her opponents enough

By your words that you seem to appreciate, Aloro should have won. She was by your accounts playing better but yet she lost in three. One has to wonder if Aloro was the actress, pretending she was actually good for a quick minute and then disappearing. Either way, I'm happy with the outcome.

Aloro was outplaying Serena tonight. If not for her serve or more precisely her many double faults she would have won. No doubt about it. It's no shamwe for Serena , she's just returning back. But her behaviour was very immature and disrespectful.

dansnewbeg
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Did anyone see the match? Was Williams in good shape/health, or at least better than at Wimbledon when it was painfully obvious she wasn't?

Good result for her, even if it was a tough start to Toronto.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:40 AM
The problem right now is not even the rust. It seems Serena is still feeling pain from one of her injuries. And that pain is completley gotten into her head, affecting all her shots and feeling of capability on the court.

This is just so disappointing. I don't think Rena can win if she doesn't feel fit enough. I agree with others, she claims that she practiced every day for 3 weeks, so is she so unlucky that at her 1st match in over a month the pain decides to come back???

I don't know what to think. I hope Rena continues in the tournament and that she feels no pain in her next round enabeling her to play better.

Serena's game at best is based on her speed. Remember when she was the fastest player on tour?? She covered the grounds soooooo well, she could hit a blasting winner from any position cuz she had sooo much time to set up, even if she was running. With all these injuries that has been taken away from her and its painful to see, I think she is mentally tired of not being healthy and its taken a toll on her attitude on court and her preparation.

I commend Rena on her win today, I hope things only get better.

Paialii
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:40 AM
POST-MATCH INTERVIEW:

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005canada/081605SW.html

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Serena, please.

Q. Tell me about toughing out that match.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it was pretty tough for me to be out there today. I don't know, I just played, and now I'm here.

Q. Was it physical? Was it tough getting into the match?

SERENA WILLIAMS: She hit a very weird ball. She had like a lot of spin. When the ball bounced, it was way above my head. It was definitely a little tough physically out there, as well.

Q. What is the status of your knee and ankle?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Ankle's good. But I'm just dealing with some issues with my knee because of my ankle. Since it went bad, my ankle, my knee got a little weak - well, weaker than it has been in the past. So I just don't feel like I'm doing well.

Q. How did you prepare for this tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I prepared really hard actually. I was actually practicing way better than I was playing. I actually practiced for like three weeks every day, which is a lot for me, just on and off the court as well.

Q. Is the achy knee something that might affect you later this week? Is it serious in that regard?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm going to have my therapist look at it because I might have tweaked it a little bit when I sprained my ankle. While I was trying to recover that part of my body, like I said, my knee just got a little weaker than I had expected. In match play it's totally different because I'm doing different things that I can't do in practice, and I'm not playing matches in practice.

Q. It was nothing specific you did? There wasn't a singular play out there tonight where you hurt it?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not at all. It was before.

Q. Is there any concern you might have to withdraw because of the injury from this tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Like I said, I'm going to talk with my therapist and see what the best thing for me to do. The way I felt tonight, I didn't feel very good at all. I wasn't even moving to any balls. I have tomorrow off, so maybe that can help. But I have to see what my therapist says.

Q. I know it might be too early for this, but...

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm playing.

Q. One set and 2-Love, how did you manage to change the pace and the game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know (laughter). I was playing so bad. She was playing really good. She was moving very well actually. I played her before. She plays good when she's down. It seems like when she's down, she wants to come back and play good on some points. I don't know. I was down and out, and I just was so angry, I wanted to crack every racquet, but I didn't do it. That's a plus.

Q. Is the knee new since Wimbledon?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No.

Q. You tweaked it and it was bothering you a bit at Wimbledon, as well?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It was a little bit, like just because of the ankle issues, because it all kind of goes into play. It's all in the same leg, so...

Q. Is it about the same now as it was at Wimbledon?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, it's better now.

Q. Does it have any relation to the surgery?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not at all. It's just because I had surgery on this leg before. After surgery, I got it really, really strong. I was playing well in the beginning of the year. When I injured my ankle, my leg, even after surgery, was still weaker than my right leg. I injured my ankle on my left leg, unfortunately. That happened to be the leg that I had surgery on my knee. When I wasn't moving and working out on my legs, I lost a lot of the strength that I had to build up in that area. So just the muscle tone over there, I just need a little extra strength in it.

Q. Does where you're from and what your background is manifest who you are on the court?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Not tonight. But I must say that sometimes it does. It definitely does. Sometimes I'll think about all the people myself and my sister have an impact on. I always say I'm playing for myself, but in the back of my mind I feel that there's a lot of people that live vicariously through us and never had an opportunity. We were fortunate enough to have great parents just who supported us with our careers. So I think about that every now and then - but not tonight.

Q. You mentioned you were having trouble getting to the ball, with your mobility. Do you attribute that strictly to your knee and ankle problems or is it also because you haven't played a match in a while?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I've been actually working really hard off court. I've been doing a lot of different things. It just felt weird. I think maybe I was just tired today. I don't know. Like I said in the beginning, I'm going to have to consult Ms. Brooks.

Q. Monica Seles was in here yesterday talking about how she just isn't ready to come back because she isn't the way she envisions herself. She wants to be the top 10 player. How frustrating is it to you that you can't be who you are on every shot?

SERENA WILLIAMS: That is frustrating. I can understand. She wants to come back?

Q. Not right now. She doesn't want to come back until she's ready, if at all.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, uhm, I don't envision -- oh, yeah. I forgot the question.

Q. Just your own experience, how frustrating is it that you can't be at the level you had been at? Is that a concern as far as future tournaments?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It is disappointing to go out there and be like, "Gosh, a couple months ago I would have got that shot." That kind of gets a little upsetting. I guess you have to work through it sometimes.

End of FastScripts….

tennisbum79
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:42 AM
...Those hopeful that her performance today is a sign that she is far from her old 'winning self' have to wait at least another day before breaking into celebration.

I would have agreed with you have I not read the second article in this thread ( post #58)
I am afraid she has more difficult days ahead. The longer this goes on, the more difficult her comeback will become. I think that is what some people are concerrned about, the long term health and form.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:44 AM
I personally believe accusing a player of "acting" is just ridiculous and uncalled for. Nobody is inside Serena's head or any other players for that matter to insinuate she was acting or not.
It's not like Rena makes this up out of nowhere, she has played 5 matches since May.....she is obviously not healthy and dealing still with injuries, shame people have to speculate on her integrity, that's just wrong.

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Yes I did see it. I don't recollect seeing Venus but I do recollect mistyping Serena's name for Venus and that's the end of that story.

Of course, because they might as well be interchangeable.

Why would she need to act? You win based on your tennis.

She was clearly rusty but didn't seem injured but was acting like half the time. Perhaps she just doesn't respect her opponents enough

So the sign of you not respecting your opponent is by seeming like you have an injury? And you being the doctor that you are or better yet, being Serena know exactly what she was and wasn't feeling? How immature and disrespectful of you towards Serena.

@m@nd@
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:49 AM
congrats serena :banana: good luck in ur next match :D
and what a great effort from SCA :yeah:

vettipooh
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Well I woke up very early today so I am a bit tiredNah!!! You just all up in the kool-aid, and don't know the flavor.:p

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:52 AM
I agree it's tough to know what players are thinking on the court. Maybe Serena is so competitive that subconciously she can't accept losing and has these hard ways of dealing with it

Paialii
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Or maybe its that her leg is bothering her; the majority of the points she missed was due to a lack of movement due to her leg. THAT is why you would have seen her maybe react to her leg when she LOST a point.

Read the post-match interview that I posted. THAT'S how you know how she felt out there.

Stamp Paid
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I agree it's tough to know what players are thinking on the court. Maybe Serena is so competitive that subconciously she can't accept losing and has these hard ways of dealing with it

Or maybe the explanation she provided in her interview, which was far more plausible asshole:

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not at all. It's just because I had surgery on this leg before. After surgery, I got it really, really strong. I was playing well in the beginning of the year. When I injured my ankle, my leg, even after surgery, was still weaker than my right leg. I injured my ankle on my left leg, unfortunately. That happened to be the leg that I had surgery on my knee. When I wasn't moving and working out on my legs, I lost a lot of the strength that I had to build up in that area. So just the muscle tone over there, I just need a little extra strength in it.

I even made it different colors to keep your attention span from waning, 5 year old.

RenaSlam.
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Ezekiel, you are a class act. :rolleyes:

Fool. :lol:

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Or maybe the explanation she provided in her interview, which was far more plausible asshole:

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not at all. It's just because I had surgery on this leg before. After surgery, I got it really, really strong. I was playing well in the beginning of the year. When I injured my ankle, my leg, even after surgery, was still weaker than my right leg. [color=SeaGreen]I injured my ankle on my left leg, unfortunately. That happened to be the leg that I had surgery on my knee. When I wasn't moving and working out on my legs, I lost a lot of the strength that I had to build up in that area. So just the muscle tone over there, I just need a little extra strength in it.
[color=Black]

Look, she may be hurt but injured would be pushing it. Injuries are part of the game, everyone is more or less hurt . Injured means she can't walk and run, she can and did quiet fluidly tonight I might say . She was very mobile tonight but her reflexes were lagging because she is rusty . That doesn't mean she is injured . She hasn't played in a while so being rusty is understandable but acting injured when losing is just bad sports. I think I've said enough about this subject for now :tape:

RenaSlam.
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Look, she may be hurt but injured would be pushing it. Injuries are part of the game, everyone is more or less hurt . Injured means she can't walk and run, she can and did quiet fluidly tonight I might say . She was very mobile tonight but her reflexes were lagging because she is rusty . That doesn't mean she is injured . She hasn't played in a while so being rusty is understandable but acting injured when losing is just bad sports. I think I've said enough about this subject for now :tape:

Yeah, you have.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, asshole. :rolleyes:

ico4498
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:19 AM
baby girl!

tennisbum79
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Have you read the interview?
She still feels pain in one of her leg, and that leg has not regained total strength since her surgery. So it is not just some rustiness due to lack of match play, this is very serious and it came accross in that press conference. Appreciating the gavity of the situation, the reporters kept probing for more details, but Serena wisely, said she will consult with her physical therapist first.
You seem to be short sighted about this, this could affect Serena in long term.

tennisrox
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Well at least she won:).People who saw the match,how was serena moving??

Harju.
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:31 AM
A win is a win. Glad to have Rena back on the tour :).

tennisrox
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:32 AM
She still feels pain in one of her leg, and that leg has not regained total strength since her surgery. So it is not just some rsutiness for lack of match play, this is very serious and it come accross in that press conference. Appreciating the gavity of the situation, the reporters kept probing for more details, but Serena wisely, said she will consult with her physical therapist first.
You seem to be short soghted about this, this could affect Serena in long term.

OMG.This is serious :( .She should take more time off and come back later.she shouldn't rush things.

blerr
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:32 AM
I also watched the whole match, and I am by NO stretch of the imagination a Williams fan, but it was VERY clear that Serena was injured, and bothered by her leg. Saying that though, Cohen-Aloro did have Serena on the ropes, and with any help from her serve, would have taken this match in the second set.

However, her serve was the shits, and that's tennis. That's how players win. Serena was obviously rusty, but her grit and determination today pulled her through the match. She did not play impressively, and she does not seem ready to play as well(the injury seems to serious still).

All this about Serena acting is rediculous. It was VERY clear that she was struggling with her movement and her serve. Her groundies were fine. But she had nothing on the serve, and gave up on a lot of balls played by Cohen-Aloro.

Cohen-Aloro was playing well enough to beat her though, but her serve was terrible. So I wouldn't get any hopes up yet about Serena being ready, cause she really looked in pain...and any player in the Top 40 would've been able to close out this match I think (not trying to be offensive). Williams just REALLY didn't look ready to be out there.

But well done Serena, you certainly fought your way to the win, well done! :yeah:

RVD
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM
CONGRATS to Serena for once again squeezing out a win. :bounce:
After reading the two articles and 1 interview, I have to say that I'm concerned about Serena's condition. I've never heard her talk this way before. :sad:

On another note...what's up with all the drama over a win?
To me, Serena winning counts far more than someone's hatred and imagination of her supposed 'acting' out on court. :rolleyes: These folks are less important than they realize and so attempt to ride the success and failures of others whether they win or lose. :shrug:

Anyway, my heart is with Serena.
Rest up and kick butt girl! :wavey:

Kacey
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Well at least she has another days rest to try and shape up her health a bit more.

Nonetheless, she pulled through...and this tournament would have sucked without her. Good job Serena. :)

Larrybidd
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:11 AM

She has an injured ankle.....Everybody knows it. The only thing we didn't know until today was if she was sufficently recovered. Why question somebodies injury, when you know they have taken time off dueto injury, and you have no information otherwise? You make assinine accusations about "faking" and you expect people to respect your views? Why should we?

I hate people who question injuries. I wonder about tennis fans.

GrandMartha
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Rena :banana: :banana: :banana:

DragonFlame
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:54 AM
wow :eek: , i didn't expect such a hardfoughtbattle. serena must still have a lot of problems, it can't be cohen-alora playing that good. :confused: owh well, rest for the next match serena and if you still feel a lot of pain retire and try to rest for the usopen.

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:03 AM
I'm /watching/ the match live. She won. ;)
Was it on the Tennis Channel or ESPN?

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Me throughout the match:
:speakles:.................:banghead:............. ...:sad:............:sobbing:.............:drink:. .......:scared:..........:banana:................. :scared:...........
:banana:..............:scared::banana:............ ...:bounce::dance::yippee::woohoo:

I'm fucking worn out.
:yawn:.....:zzz:
You're just too cute Miching. :lol:

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:31 AM

:haha: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Knizzle
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Q. I know it might be too early for this, but...

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm playing.

Way to cut him off at the pass Serena.

serenafan08
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:40 AM
I don't understand what all the hating is about. I mean, a win is a win. Everybody has to go through the tough times to reach glory. Playing pro tennis is like climbing Mount Everest. You don't just get to the summit right away - you go through peaks and valleys; you have to endure long days and tough, cold nights. Everybody has gone through it; Agassi, Capriati, Seles, Navratilova - and now Serena. She's human people - honestly - lay off it for a while! Let me see one of you go through everything this girl has had to endure over the past two years and let's see how well you deal with it. And until you do, quit criticizing Serena's every move! :mad: We need to be happy that she's even out there competing because things haven't been easy for her as of late. She's fighting despite all the opposition, and that's what sets her apart from all the other tennis players on the tour right now. No one has dealt with her situation the way she has. And we need to remember - this was her first match in six weeks! It's not going to be pretty. Roger Federer played his first match since Wimbledon a couple of nights ago and parts of it were ugly too. The point is she got a win - the rules never said that it had to be pretty.

"Topaz"
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Was it on the Tennis Channel or ESPN?Hi Denise! Can't tell. We had it here (in Canada) on our regular sports channel (TSN).

BTW, Rena is an athlete to behold. She agonized all through the match today and eventually won. Granted she wouldn't have, had she been playing a better player. Anyway, with her kind of injury (lingering injury), I don't think she'll get far in the draw. I even doubt she'll play the US Open at the end of the month.

Way to go, Rena!

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I even made it different colors to keep your attention span from waning, 5 year old.
:haha: :tape:

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Hi Denise! Can't tell. We had it here (in Canada) on our regular sports channel (TSN).

BTW, Rena is an athlete to behold. She agonized all through the match today and eventually won. Granted she wouldn't have, had she been playing a better player. Anyway, with her kind of injury (lingering injury), I don't think she'll get far in the draw. I even doubt she'll play the US Open at the end of the month.

Way to go, Rena!
Hi Topaz, thanks sweetie. But, I'm concerned about Serena's health. I'm not sure if she still needs to play to get match ready, or just stay off of it until she's fully healed and/or strong enough. I'd hate for this to be a career ending injury. Please God.

Andy.
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Well done on having a winning return and fighting off the rust. Keep it up Serena

Zauber
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:33 AM
She is simply overweight and out of shape.
She is very inconsistent.
She is finished unless she gets in shape like Agassi a few years back.

Whenever she looses she has an injury.
If you show up you are fit to play with whatever talent or condition you have.

SJW
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:38 AM
i dont know why this is three pages and im not about to find out. i know its not gonna be positive :lol:
well done Serena and welcome back :)

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM
My gosh, give baby girl a break.

She won the match, with little match play over the past few months.

Expect her level of play to only improve as the tournament goes on. She's only going to get better.

Go Girl!!!!

Dexter
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:41 AM
In my opinion, sorry but it's just ridicoulus that Serena needed 3sets to beat player ranked about 100 places lower... :rolleyes:

RVD
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM
She is simply overweight and out of shape.
She is very inconsistent.
She is finished unless she gets in shape like Agassi a few years back.

Whenever she looses she has an injury.
If you show up you are fit to play with whatever talent or condition you have.Julia, is that you...? :confused: :tape:

pigam
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Julia, is that you...? :confused: :tape:
style does indeed resemble :shrug:

Rub
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:13 AM
c'mon serena... be back to your championship level!

tennisIlove09
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Yes! Go Serena! :D a win is a win girl~!

Maria Croft
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:58 AM
A win is always better then losing, congrats Serena !!

spudrsca
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:08 AM
She still feels pain in one of her leg, and that leg has not regained total strength since her surgery. So it is not just some rustiness due to lack of match play, this is very serious and it came accross in that press conference. Appreciating the gavity of the situation, the reporters kept probing for more details, but Serena wisely, said she will consult with her physical therapist first.
You seem to be short sighted about this, this could affect Serena in long term.

I know she possibly feels pain in one of her leg, but don't you think that being a bit overweight can aggravate this problem.
And she can do exercises to gain muscle in that leg.
I don't think Serena has done all she could to be in good shape, that's my opinion.:cool:

fifiricci
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Bloody Hell, the usual load of largely nonsensical tripe posted in this thread!! :rolleyes:

It was Serena's first match for, what, nearly two months? Even la la Serena is bound to be rusty. So she won in three sets against a player she would have walloped in 40 minutes in her prime. Whoop dee doo. What else could anyone reasonably expect? What's all the bloody fuss about?

Only time will tell if Serena has what it takes to come back from this injury/injuries (I've kind of lost track of exactly what she has and has not got).

Staticbeef
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:44 AM
CONGRATS to Serena for once again squeezing out a win. :bounce:
After reading the two articles and 1 interview, I have to say that I'm concerned about Serena's condition. I've never heard her talk this way before. :sad:

On another note...what's up with all the drama over a win?
To me, Serena winning counts far more than someone's hatred and imagination of her supposed 'acting' out on court. :rolleyes: These folks are less important than they realize and so attempt to ride the success and failures of others whether they win or lose. :shrug:
Anyway, my heart is with Serena.
Rest up and kick butt girl! :wavey:

Yup. well said :worship: :worship: we shine light on (Myself included) otherwise obscure and fustian post and posters, we need to pull each others coats, every now and then, so that we don't waste valuable Royal Court Energy on attention seeking baby trolls. Thank You, sir, I will be more careful :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Who is the heartbreaker in your avatar??? I hope you own a shotgun, they grow up fast.

Lennval
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
at least serena makes me win v-cash :D

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
her serve motion was not the best she wasn't jumping almost. i think she's afraid of getting injuried before the USO . well she won and that's all that matter. go Rena :banana:

Davenselesport
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Hater #1 :rolleyes:

Maybe you didn't catch the part where I said I'm sure she will step it up??

To everyone who responded to my post: this result just isnt that great compared to what she can do. She's effing SERENA WILLIAMS, she should be blowing these people off the court. Just my opinion.

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Maybe you didn't catch the part where I said I'm sure she will step it up??

To everyone who responded to my post: this result just isnt that great compared to what she can do. She's effing SERENA WILLIAMS, she should be blowing these people off the court. Just my opinion.
Oops…I must have missed that. :shrug:
You know, I was kinda strung out on the amount of anxiety pills I took during the course of the match. :drink:
Sorry about that.

Tenisci
Aug 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM
:)

raquel
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Well done Serena :) A relief to get the first match out of the way, no matter how scrappy it might have been. Hopefully she will be physically fit for her next match and get some more US Open practice.

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:51 PM
yeah,and once again,a "so-typical williams-fan"thread!welcome back,guys,i already missed you! :rolleyes: but honestly,ezekiel:its sad,but its true,if its about serena,it always ends up the same way here...if someone like you or me even DARES to put something in question that surrounds her,they go all overboard!!

ok,guys lets make it short this time:if an opponent is just that bit better on the day,no matter if he wins or loses in the end,it has something to do with a certain respect to say:hey,the other one was THAT bit better!!whats so difficult about that issue???tell me please,i want to know!!

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM
yeah,and once again,a "so-typical williams-fan"thread!welcome back,guys,i already missed you! :rolleyes: but honestly,ezekiel:its sad,but its true,if its about serena,it always ends up the same way here...if someone like you or me even DARES to put something in question that surrounds her,they go all overboard!!

Are you generalizing about Serena fans again? Because I don't recall but two, maybe three people responding to ezekiel's posts and neither of those two people included me or the 100 plus fans of Serena on this board. Where do you get this "they"?

ok,guys lets make it short this time:if an opponent is just that bit better on the day,no matter if he wins or loses in the end,it has something to do with a certain respect to say:hey,the other one was THAT bit better!!whats so difficult about that issue???tell me please,i want to know!!
I'm not sure I understand you. Do you want Serena to say that S. Cohen-Alora was better than her, although she beat her? :confused: I would also like to ask you, why this is an issue?

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Are you generalizing about Serena fans again? Because I don't recall but two, maybe three people responding to ezekiel's posts and neither of those two people included me or the 100 plus fans of Serena on this board. Where do you get this "they"?

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you want Serena to say that S. Cohen-Alora was better than her, although she beat her? :confused: I would also like to ask you, why this is an issue?
okay,maybe you are one of the few,that are not from that group,but i just dont like the overall language,that is used by "most" of the fans here(is that ok for you,if i write like that?..)!its just a fact,that this "asshole-stuff" and similar words are almost completely used by the W-fans!!IT IS JUST SO!!and i cant tolerate that,because we should all have a certain respect for each other,even though we dont have the same opinion!!
and to your second point:all i want is them to give their opponents at least small degree of respect,is that asked too much??i dont think so.same thing,if i read that crap,that it would make their opponents stronger rnext time,if they give them too much credit!

even to think like that,is very strange.... :confused: of course i know,they are all part of a big business,lots of money and honour involved!is accepted,but is it so hard,just to say:hey sorry,i was just not good enough,my opponent was better than me,finish!thats all..

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:26 PM
okay,maybe you are one of the few,that are not from that group,but i just dont like the overall language,that is used by "most" of the fans here(is that ok for you,if i write like that?..)!its just a fact,that this "asshole-stuff" and similar words are almost completely used by the W-fans!!IT IS JUST SO!!and i cant tolerate that,because we should all have a certain respect for each other,even though we dont have the same opinion!!
and to your second point:all i want is them to give their opponents at least small degree of respect,is that asked too much??i dont think so.same thing,if i read that crap,that it would make their opponents stronger rnext time,if they give them too much credit!

even to think like that,is very strange.... :confused: of course i know,they are all part of a big business,lots of money and honour involved!is accepted,but is it so hard,just to say:hey sorry,i was just not good enough,my opponent was better than me,finish!thats all..

Why should Serena say that if she beat the girl? :confused:

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM
i think his/her not talking about this match.

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM
i think his not talking about this match.
So, why is it an issue in this thread? :confused:

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:36 PM
you just dont seem to get my point! :awww: i meant that in general,not that particular match!its just about finding the right perspective:ok,slow....if she LOSES,i only go for the losses right now,it would be just respectful to say,my opponent was better today,and thats why i lost.finish!but to moan half an hour,how my body is aching,and that i can play MUCH better(and while talking so much about herself,putting down the opponents effort),that,to me,is not sportsmanlike!just my opinion...i hope,you understood,what i mean.

and even if she wins,but did not play well,whats so hard to be honest and say:"ok,i am the winner,but my opponent played better than me"?..if she plays top-class,and wins:no complaints!

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:41 PM
you just dont seem to get my point! :awww: i meant that in general,not that particular match!its just about finding the right perspective:ok,slow....if she LOSES,i only go for the losses right now,it would be just respectful to say,my opponent was better today,and thats why i lost.finish!but to moan half an hour,how my body is aching,and that i can play MUCH better(and while talking so much about herself,putting down the opponents effort),that,to me,is not sportsmanlike!just my opinion...i hope,you understood,what i mean.

and even if she wins,but did not play well,whats so hard to be honest and say:"ok,i am the winner,but my opponent played better than me"?..if she plays top-class,and wins:no complaints!
but i will not go on anymore about her way of handling success/defeat,because,the more we talk about that,the less is talked about stephanie,and that would be a clear devaluation of her great match!!and IMO,she has great talent,and im not so sure,that serena would have "blown her away",once again a phrase that is loved by MANY williams fans! :rolleyes:

Infiniti2001
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:42 PM
but i will not go on anymore about her way of handling success/defeat,because,the more we talk about that,the less is talked about stephanie,and that would be a clear devaluation of her great match!!and IMO,she has great talent,and im not so sure,that serena would have "blown her away",once again a phrase that is loved by MANY williams fans! :rolleyes:

GET over yourself :rolleyes:

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:45 PM
GET over yourself :rolleyes:
hey,dont worry about me.i am in perfect peace with myself!its just a statement.

volta
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Serena rusty and aparently injuried gave her a 6-4 6-2 in the last sets . Rena played her once and won 6-3 6-2 if im not wrong . and a healthy Rena wouldn't blow her away? right :rolleyes:

and Many williams fans say that cuz it's true what was Rena doing at 2k2 2k3? :p

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Serena rusty and aparently injuried gave her a 6-4 6-2 in the last sets . Rena played her once and won 6-3 6-2 if im not wrong . and a healthy Rena wouldn't blow her away? right :rolleyes:

and Many williams fans say that cuz it's true what was Rena doing at 2k2 2k3? :p
listen guys,we could talk for nights and nights,and you still would not give me the right,so it does not really make much sense to discuss with you!but I KNOW,that i am right,and thats enough for me.i follow the woments for nearly a century now,and believe me,i can judge a good player.but hey,lets put this to sleep,it will only only bore us..

Staticbeef
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
Look, she may be hurt but injured would be pushing it. Injuries are part of the game, everyone is more or less hurt . Injured means she can't walk and run :confused: , she can and did quiet fluidly tonight I might say . She was very mobile tonight but her reflexes were lagging because she is rusty . That doesn't mean she is injured . She hasn't played in a while so being rusty is understandable but acting injured when losing is just bad sports. I think I've said enough about this subject for now

Originally Posted by alibaby
yeah,and once again,a "so-typical williams-fan"thread!welcome back,guys,i already missed you! but honestly,ezekiel:its sad,but its true,if its about serena,it always ends up the same way here...if someone like you or me even DARES to put something in question that surrounds her,they go all overboard!!

I will try and recount the events that led up to you placing yourself in the adversarial position. The fans in this thread (Not All, Williams Fans) were involved in a mini celebration, we were happy that our Champion had returned to the Battlefield. We are not blear-eyed, we realize that our Champion is not 100%, or anywhere near top form, some fans, and non fans pointed this out very clearly in this thread, yet the party continued, Ezekiel in his cupidity to be the life of the party petitioned the attention of the posters in this thread, and got it, you have done the same and more, by posting that blanket statement about "So Typical Williams Fans" you are petitioning the attention of every Williams fan on the planet, a bit ambitious don't you think? Examine your motivation, ours are clear and based in honesty. I don't know what "So called Williams fans" could possibly do to you that would motivate you to crash our party. I for one will respect the opinion of any man, because I demand that mine be respected, if I put myself out there adapting the "Con" position, I fully expect the "Pro" position to respond in a manner that best supports their point of view, knowing all this, I would find it difficult to cry about a response that I solicited. What's your Beef Ali? did Rena just beat your favorite, or maybe she has beaten many of them. Now this is just my opinion, but I think you went overboard when you decided to champion a cause that was based in attention seeking from the onset. I defend your rights, but, how much sense does it make to enter a thread that you know will be Typical, UNLESS, you are just being the typical party crasher that always sneak in the party, because you weren't invited, just my opinion, don't hate me.

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
Look, she may be hurt but injured would be pushing it. Injuries are part of the game, everyone is more or less hurt . Injured means she can't walk and run :confused: , she can and did quiet fluidly tonight I might say . She was very mobile tonight but her reflexes were lagging because she is rusty . That doesn't mean she is injured . She hasn't played in a while so being rusty is understandable but acting injured when losing is just bad sports. I think I've said enough about this subject for now

Originally Posted by alibaby
yeah,and once again,a "so-typical williams-fan"thread!welcome back,guys,i already missed you! but honestly,ezekiel:its sad,but its true,if its about serena,it always ends up the same way here...if someone like you or me even DARES to put something in question that surrounds her,they go all overboard!!

I will try and recount the events that led up to you placing yourself in the adversarial position. The fans in this thread (Not All, Williams Fans) were involved in a mini celebration, we were happy that our Champion had returned to the Battlefield. We are not blear-eyed, we realize that our Champion is not 100%, or anywhere near top form, some fans, and non fans pointed this out very clearly in this thread, yet the party continued, Ezekiel in his cupidity to be the life of the party petitioned the attention of the posters in this thread, and got it, you have done the same and more, by posting that blanket statement about "So Typical Williams Fans" you are petitioning the attention of every Williams fan on the planet, a bit ambitious don't you think? Examine your motivation, ours are clear and based in honesty. I don't know what "So called Williams fans" could possibly do to you that would motivate you to crash our party. I for one will respect the opinion of any man, because I demand that mine be respected, if I put myself out there adapting the "Con" position, I fully expect the "Pro" position to respond in a manner that best supports their point of view, knowing all this, I would find it difficult to cry about a response that I solicited. What's your Beef Ali? did Rena just beat your favorite, or maybe she has beaten many of them. Now this is just my opinion, but I think you went overboard when you decided to champion a cause that was based in attention seeking from the onset. I defend your rights, but, how much sense does it make to enter a thread that you know will be Typical, UNLESS, you are just being the typical party crasher that always sneak in the party, because you weren't invited, just my opinion, don't hate me.
ok,static...as i am very tired now,i will try to make it plain and simple:firstly:WHY should i hate you,or anyone else?i dont hate anyone!i am a pacifistic human being.secondly:i dont want to crush no party whatsoever!IMO,that would be reasoned much in childishness!miss cohen-aloro,for example,was not even on my radar before yesterday,so i think,that should be argument enough for you!

and,as you might have recognized,i changed my way of formulating,saying "some" williams fans,but not all!and that is just fact.it is really only from some guys from this particular forum,who speak in a manner,that is annoying me!!why should i not be allowed to state this??go to the french,asian,italian forum,whatever you want,you will NOWHERE ELSE find so many insulting and rude posts,like these from the williams fans!!sad,but true...

and once again:i am the last one,who wants to crush a party!its only important,how it is celebrated....you know,what i mean?...good night...

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:53 PM
ok,static...as i am very tired now,i will try to make it plain and simple:firstly:WHY should i hate you,or anyone else?i dont hate anyone!i am a pacifistic human being.secondly:i dont want to crush no party whatsoever!IMO,that would be reasoned much in childishness!miss cohen-aloro,for example,was not even on my radar before yesterday,so i think,that should be argument enough for you!

and,as you might have recognized,i changed my way of formulating,saying "some" williams fans,but not all!and that is just fact.it is really only from some guys from this particular forum,who speak in a manner,that is annoying me!!why should i not be allowed to state this??go to the french,asian,italian forum,whatever you want,you will NOWHERE ELSE find so many insulting and rude posts,like these from the williams fans!!sad,but true...

and once again:i am the last one,who wants to crush a party!its only important,how it is celebrated....you know,what i mean?...good night...
:haha: :haha: :haha:

ampers&
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:
Exactly.
:rolls: :lol: :haha:

Larrybidd
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:14 PM

This is my problem with you people who critique post match press confrences. The fact it Serena was being honest: Her body was failing her, and she talked about it becasue the press was asking her about it.

Truth is you don't want honesty, you want some kind of Politically Correct statement designed to satisfy some of you people that she "respects" the opponent. Please read the transcript of the interview. Serena said the girl was tough, she did not "insult" the opponent by talking about her limitations on the court any more than Sharapova did the other day in her last match before she withdrew. I truly wish someone thoughtful would please explain the motivation for this persistently baseless criticism. But don't come in here talking about honesty...because clearly that is not what you are after.

Denise4925
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:28 PM
This is my problem with you people who critique post match press confrences. The fact it Serena was being honest: Her body was failing her, and she talked about it becasue the press was asking her about it.

Truth is you don't want honesty, you want some kind of Politically Correct statement designed to satisfy some of you people that she "respects" the opponent. Please read the transcript of the interview. Serena said the girl was tough, she did not "insult" the opponent by talking about her limitations on the court any more than Sharapova did the other day in her last match before she withdrew. I truly wish someone thoughtful would please explain the motivation for this persistently baseless criticism. But don't come in here talking about honesty...because clearly that is not what you are after.
Thanks Larry, that was a great, well thought out and insightful post, but we've been fighting this endless battle forever on this board and they don't get it. So, we just make fun of them. :p

alibaby
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:28 PM

nice,that finally one of these "special" fans appears here!because your posts are often exemplary for what i mean with "bad-speaking"what was that,with the other guy a few hours before?he just had a different opinion,and what happened:he was immediately slagged by you in the rudest way!!larry,that cant be the sense of competent forum!!and that is MY most important point!then comes the whole serena story.maybe your guys dont even recognize yourself no more,how your posts are written!would be good to do so..

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Too true. They want to read and hear something that satisfies them but I hardly doubt they even know what that is. It's such a knee jerk typical response that it's become a broken record.