PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Rule Question

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:59 PM
This eve, I played a little match against my friend. Offcourse we don't have ballboys/girls, so some balls lay around the court (close to the net or behind us). At breakpoint for me the following happened:

During the rally I play a stroke that lands a meter behind the net straight on one of the other balls. Offcourse my friend is unable to play the next stroke. He says the point should be replayed. I'm convinced the point is mine.

So what do you think?
A) The point is mine
B) The point should be replayed

RenaSlam.
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:02 PM
A.

Lady
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I think by the rule - the point is yours, but in fairness the point should have been replayed. ;)

Maria Croft
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM
replay the point, you should also make sure that there are no balls on the court, try to keep them far behind the baseline

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I think by the rule - the point is yours, but in fairness the point should have been replayed. ;)

pff, on breakpoint fairness does not exist :devil:

It would be the same as a ball that touches the net --> bad luck if you cannot reach it.

Spunky83
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM
According to german official tennis magazine, the ball┤s yours

tenn_ace
it's yours.

arn
replay the point, you should also make sure that there are no balls on the court, try to keep them far behind the baseline

That's what we do most of the time, but you cannot expect when you miss first serve and hit it in the net to go up there to pick up the ball

serenafan08
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:09 PM
The point is yours because it's not your fault that the stray ball was there in the first place. Your opponent should have moved it before the next point.

Maria Croft
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM
That's what we do most of the time, but you cannot expect when you miss first serve and hit it in the net to go up there to pick up the ball

If you put it like that I would say that you're lucky ;)

Babolatpro880
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM
It's your opponent's responsibility to remove the balls from their side of the court.

iPatty
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
The point is yours. Your friends a liar!!

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
It doesn't matter what you, I or anyone else thinks; according to the rules, the point is yours. I would suggest, though, that you pick up stray balls on your side of the court, because it WILL happen to you if you don't.

Pengwin
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
If it's the first time it happens you should let it go and play a let but technically it's yours.

Andrew..
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:28 PM
The point is yours because it's not your fault that the stray ball was there in the first place. Your opponent should have moved it before the next point.
That is the most on target answer to the question.

▀coene
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:37 PM
If I was the judge I would give the point to you, even when it's the other way around. :)

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:49 PM
You oppononent lost the point because he/she didn't clean up his side of the court. I hope you took the point. :wavey:

matthias
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM
You oppononent lost the point because he/she didn't clean up his side of the court. I hope you took the point. :wavey:

thats right
when i play a match, and my opponent don┤t clean his court, then i try to play the ball close as possible to the ball who is on his court :devil:

Volcana
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:10 PM
This eve, I played a little match against my friend. Offcourse we don't have ballboys/girls, so some balls lay around the court (close to the net or behind us). At breakpoint for me the following happened:

During the rally I play a stroke that lands a meter behind the net straight on one of the other balls. Offcourse my friend is unable to play the next stroke. He says the point should be replayed. I'm convinced the point is mine.

So what do you think?
A) The point is mine
B) The point should be replayedB) The point should be replayed

First of all, do you really want to go to the trouble of removing all the balls from the court after every missed first serve. If I'm your friend and you pulled that, I'd demand the court was clear for every point if I played you.

Second, you say this is your friend. For the rule, you're being unsportsmanlike with your friend. Simple fairness says re-play the point.

Third, balls lying anywhere on court where someone might step on them is a safety hazard. Right up against the net is one thing. But if it's where your shot could land on it, it's in a dangerous place.

backhanddtl4
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Don't replay the point. It is your friend's responsibility to make sure his side of the court is clear of balls for his own safety!!!!! YOUR POINT!!!

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:20 PM

First of all, do you really want to go to the trouble of removing all the balls from the court after every missed first serve. If I'm your friend and you pulled that, I'd demand the court was clear for every point if I played you.

Second, you say this is your friend. For the rule, you're being unsportsmanlike with your friend. Simple fairness says re-play the point.

Third, balls lying anywhere on court where someone might step on them is a safety hazard. Right up against the net is one thing. But if it's where your shot could land on it, it's in a dangerous place.

:tape: Volcana, you cannot be serious. Your opponent should do that anyways. And so should you.

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM

No, we replayed it because he didn't want to give in :mad: and the saint I am...:angel:

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:23 PM

It was about one meter behind the court, I once tripped over the ball and I know how painfull it can be :(

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:26 PM

For that very reason, I always pick up balls lying around on my side of the court, and I always ask my opponent to do the same. If he gets upset with me, I tell him why I want him to do it, and he's usually not upset anymore.

RayRob
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that you should replay the point. The only time the point would be yours is if the ball hit a court "fixture" like a net or net post. The ball isn't part of the court, just as an umpires chair isn't be part of a court.

I found a similar scenoario in an old issue of "ACE Tennis" mag in the UK. The scenario goes like this:

"Nigel and Maude are playing on their club's graveyard court, "The forestry". Maude throws up a lob which looks as if it's going miles out. At the last minute the ball hits an overhanging branch which deflects it into the corner of the court for an unreturnable winner. Will Maude be celebrating her winning shot in the club house?"

Two monthes after this competition scenario, Sultan Gangji who is the head of officiating at the LTA gave the following answer:

"If the ball in play touches a fixture (other than the net, posts, singles sticks, cord or metal cable, strap or band) before it hit the ground, the player who struck it loses the point."

I figure it is the same ruling if the ball in play hits a ball that isn't in play. The 'dormant' ball is not at that point part of the game or court and so is void from the point.

I think this is as close to "official" ruling as you can get. If you go by the above scenario as an example, realy your opponant should win the point....but in your case, you could play a let and reply the point as if a piece of litter flew on court mid-point.

Hope this helps :D

-Rache :wavey:

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:28 PM
No, we replayed it because he didn't want to give in :mad: and the saint I am...:angel:
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you won the replayed point.

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:28 PM
If my friend had the same luck as I had today, I would just give him the point. I consider it being unlucky (like a ball that touches the net and lands on your opponents side).

We play with 7-8 balls so we don't have to run after every ball that goes wide, so both of us know it can happen (though this was the first time it happened in all the years I play tennis) and in that case you just follow the rules.

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you won the replayed point.

Nah, I was a bit :fiery: and instead of thinking clearly I just hit it as hard as I could to get the frustration out of me :o

propi
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I think it's each one's responsability to have his side clean, so the point should be yours even if you lose a friend :p

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that you should replay the point. The only time the point would be yours is if the ball hit a court "fixture" like a net or net post. The ball isn't part of the court, just as an umpires chair isn't be part of a court.

I found a similar scenoario in an old issue of "ACE Tennis" mag in the UK. The scenario goes like this:

"Nigel and Maude are playing on their club's graveyard court, "The forestry". Maude throws up a lob which looks as if it's going miles out. At the last minute the ball hits an overhanging branch which deflects it into the corner of the court for an unreturnable winner. Will Maude be celebrating her winning shot in the club house?"

Two monthes after this competition scenario, Sultan Gangji who is the head of officiating at the LTA gave the following answer:

"If the ball in play touches a fixture (other than the net, posts, singles sticks, cord or metal cable, strap or band) before it hit the ground, the player who struck it loses the point."

I figure it is the same ruling if the ball in play hits a ball that isn't in play. The 'dormant' ball is not at that point part of the game or court and so is void from the point.

I think this is as close to "official" ruling as you can get. If you go by the above scenario as an example, realy your opponant should win the point....but in your case, you could play a let and reply the point as if a piece of litter flew on court mid-point.

Hope this helps :D

-Rache :wavey:

The difference being Maude played the ball way out, while my ball was clearly in (because it was played so short I think there's a good chance I would have won the point without that ball at the net)

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I think it's each one's responsability to have his side clean, so the point should be yours even if you lose a friend :p

It was against my bf, so maybe that's too much to ask ;)