PDA

View Full Version : Svetlana Kuznesova (3) def. Anabel Medina Garrigues 2-6 7-5 6-4

Pengwin
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Truly awesome match. Medina played a Myskina-esque match out there and soaked up Sveta's power as well as making a lot of her own. :yeah:

Sveta's quality puller her through by the end and AMG was mentally exhausted for sure.

In any case, she is a great fighter, and a future star.

RenaSlam.
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Sveta got lucky :mad:

AMG, good effort!

cellophane
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Anabel was pissed! :eek:

_LuCaS_
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM
If Anabel could have kept her calm she would have won.
Sveta is only power. Almost hitting a few times the ball kids or the linesmen.

Lady
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Anabel is a very good player, but she needs to get more fit. Her fitness really hampers her. That happened today, the same happened at RG vs Justine. :(

Well done, Sveta! ;)

DragonFlame
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:01 PM
anabel should have won!!!!!!!!! :( i got really sick of sveta after those dumb errors annabel should have won and punish them, she had a really good chance. sorry, but i really hope you lose sveta after this horrible display. :o i'm completely fed up with you :(

..ikke..
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Well done Sveta :bounce:
Good luck in the next round(s)

cellophane
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Anabel is a very good player, but she needs to get more fit. Her fitness really hampers her. That happened today, the same happened at RG vs Justine. :(

I think it was more her getting pissed off. Take a chill pill, girl!

Maria Croft
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:02 PM
It was a good match, but I never believed that Medina could win the match, but there were some nice points

mishar
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Congrats Sveta! A win is a win, especially given your recent record.

AMG has always been full of promise -- but I fear at her age it might be too late to be anything more than a solid top 50 player with the occasional great day. Maybe she'll get a big win and that will give her a boost one of these days.

DragonFlame
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Well done, Sveta! ;)

that's not completely true lady, justine actually deserved to win sveta didnt. justine actually won, not because medina got tired and angry at the end of both the 2nd and 3d set and lost concentration. too bad medina, good effort.

Wiggly
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Tv commentator ask why Anabel was not top 10 and she said and anabel was plaing mathc of her life :rolleyes:

lizchris
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Sveta got lucky :mad:

AMG, good effort!

I agree.

Anyone who says Svetlana can defend her title at the USO is off his/her rocker.

mishar
Actually, I just noticed Anabel has won 2 titles this year -- so maybe she's finally hitting the stride people expected of her before she injured her knee.

DragonFlame
Tv commentator ask why Anabel was not top 10 and she said and anabel was plaing mathc of her life :rolleyes:

without your spellingerrors (sorry:p) i would say, what!?! :eek: is that woman crazy :rolleyes: the match of her life :o good commentators are hard to find these days

tenn_ace
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM
that's not completely true lady, justine actually deserved to win sveta didnt. justine actually won, not because medina got tired and angry at the end of both the 2nd and 3d set and lost concentration. too bad medina, good effort.

if Sveta won, she deserved it. period.

Sonf@
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
I've really seen Anabel playing better so it was not the match of her life :p Too bad she lost but it was a really good effort against Kuznetloba. This competition against the top players is just what Anabel really needs. Let's hope she can take advantage of the great display of game she's showing this year

Pengwin
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
She is a cross between Myskina and Henin :)

oren987
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Anabel played realy well in this match, she sould have won it

blumaroo
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Svetlana has so many mishits. She's definitely not naturally gifted. I smell a second round exit at the US Open. But a win is a win.

Boss monkey
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Anabel Medina Garrigues :shout: better luck next time.

vwfan
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:38 PM
sveta is really struggling. looking really dismal for a decent showing, let alone a title defense at the U.S. Open.

gmak
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:38 PM
sveta :o :rolleyes: :smash:

well at least she won :)

flyingmachine
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:45 PM
sveta :o :rolleyes: :smash:

well at least she won :)
Well that's right but still not sure about her form. :unsure:

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Well done Sveta. :D

propi
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Anabel really needs to win one of these matches vs great players, once she win one she'll realize how far she can go :)
First Justine and now Sveta... I hope she can do it at USO :)

crazillo
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Anabel actually prefers HC to clay the commentator said. :eek: She definitely has got a game for both surfaces. I think that she completely ouhit Sveta for over a set. But when Sveta broke after *1-0 MG second set she started to smell the possibility to win. She was never sure to win, but her power enabled her the road. But Anabel is really good. I heard that she plays many tournaments, because players think she is a bit lazy with practising. Dunno though.. Can understand very well now why so many good players already struggeled or even lost to her this year yet. In RG she might have played one of her career-best matches, JHH said the same about herself and AMG BTW. :)

Marshmallow
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:09 AM

I agree. The only thing Svetlana had on her was fitness. At the end of the second set she was EXHAUSTED! I've noticed her a few times and after today's match i'm a fan. She actually resembles Justine in a way. And kudos to her for hanging in there in that final set, from 4-1 down to 5-4. Fitness seems t be key, because she has a lot of potential.

As for Svetlana.... what is up with her? Perhaps it's her work ethic she has wrong. That whole 'You're not fine, but you just go out and don't complain' attitude hasn't worked for her. Post USO she was good for a few weeks, but after that almost anyone within the top 50 could beat her. Like with Myskina, i don't think she had a vacation and she's now paying the price. With a game like hers she should have won a title this year. This slump will probably see her out of the top 10.

IVI
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I agree. The only thing Svetlana had on her was fitness. At the end of the second set she was EXHAUSTED! I've noticed her a few times and after today's match i'm a fan. She actually resembles Justine in a way. And kudos to her for hanging in there in that final set, from 4-1 down to 5-4. Fitness seems t be key, because she has a lot of potential.

As a AMG fan i can say that actually, she is improving her fitness, so maybe (and I hope) if she keeps working, she could improve a lot her ranking at the begining of the next season, cos she has no points to defend until Indian Wells:
2r Hobart
1R AO
1r Paris
1r Amberes
1r Dubai
1r Doha

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Anabel :fiery: She looked very angry! :sad:

Sveta :worship: Very lucky. :p

selyoink
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Too bad Anabel couldn't seal the deal.

Harju.
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Go Kuzzie :yeah:

Andy.
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Well done Sveta on a good fight back victory, just what she needed

_julio_
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Anabel :bigcry: it was your match and you lost again...I'll be waiting for a big win but I think she's improving a lot and maybe one day it will come.Her serve sucks and I hope she could do well in the USO.That 2 double faults at the end of the match :mad: .Now good luck to the doubles match

iced gem
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Great Match! Anabel was so close - unlucky there, but she made errors when it counted. Well done to Svetlana for getting through.

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Today Sveta plays her first doubles match with Nadia.

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:57 PM
"First matches are very dangerous because other players have already played some and know the balls, the surface," said Kuznetsova. "But it's not only this. Maybe I was a little bit nervous in the first set and I couldn't find my game. I was just playing all to her backhand, and it was the best shot she has. Playing (your worst shot) to the other player's best, it doesn't matter how good you can be or you are, you've just not doing the right thing to win.

"So I had to think a little bit, to use my brain, just so I could start to play my game later on."

"I'm not playing as well the last two weeks as I'd love to," said Kuznetsova. "But I wanted very badly to be in there and win the match. I had lots of faith in myself and wanted to play at my best level and to fight a lot. The game did not go in the start as I wanted it to, but I think I turned it well to a good level later on."

Jenny.C.Fan
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Sveta played really awfully for a lot of the match, it was nice for her to get a win hopefully she will get some confidence because she doesnt look great right now which is a shame.

aheee!!
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:49 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050816/capt.cpth11308162149.toronto_tennis_cpth113.jpg

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Even in Spain, where she makes her home, she said she can move about and not be recognized.

"I'm really happy with that," she said. "I just don't feel I would like it if I went out and people would say, 'This is her!' " Svetlana Kuznetsova, the U.S. Open champion

Sam's Slave
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Even in Spain, where she makes her home, she said she can move about and not be recognized.

"I'm really happy with that," she said. "I just don't feel I would like it if I went out and people would say, 'This is her!' " Svetlana Kuznetsova, the U.S. Open champion

what has that to do with this thread?

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:03 PM
It tells people about Sveta.