PDA

View Full Version : MONICA OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCES HER COMEBACK/RETIREMENT STATUS! Monday intrvw here...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:18 PM
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005canada/081505MS.html

Q. What do you remember of 1995?
MONICA SELES: Last night when I was watching the tribute on the teleprompter, it was just like bringing all the memories back. Really, it's the first time I had a time to kind of, you know, at this stage in my life to kind of remember. Before you just keep going, going, so you never have a chance to think about what you've done. I don't know if I would have -- my hat goes off to myself, how well I played under those circumstances (laughter). There's nothing I could compare to that time, the day when I walked on to play against Kimberly, my first match, and to actually win the tournament was very special. Q. Do you sometimes pick up a racquet now?

MONICA SELES: Yeah, I still play three, four times a week. I still go down, hit with the kids at different academies near where I live. I still try. It's just the level I'm playing is not the level that I would feel comfortable coming back. This is one promise I've made myself. If I'm not playing a certain level, for the sake of coming back, I'm not doing that. Last summer I proved that to me. So we'll see. Time is running out. I think I'm at that stage, I'm okay with either way that it's going to go. Q. Why have you not officially retired? What are you waiting for?

MONICA SELES: I don't believe in official retirement. Once you retire, you really want to be retired. I don't think I'm at that stage yet. When I really feel I'm definitely retired, then it's retiring. But I don't feel I'm that stage yet. Q. What would it take for you to come back and play on the tour right now with the women here?

MONICA SELES: I think for my body to stay a little bit continuously healthy, although you see a lot of young players now are battling tons of injuries. So it's not just, you know, when you get to 31 that it comes. But I think it's just really the level that you want to play. When I left, I was a top 10 player. I never really have been out of kind of that area and I would like to make sure that I can play at that level. And I think you have to be very realistic about that. Q. Are there injuries that are holding you up?

MONICA SELES: Well, I had a stress fracture, and I had a bone fracture. My bone split, my sesamoid bones, I had surgery with that. That's one of the main reasons I had to stop playing originally.Q. It's still bothering you?

MONICA SELES: It's one of those that comes and goes. You have good days, you have good weeks. Then you have weeks for two weeks that you can't really do much.Q. When you have two good weeks and you start playing a fair bit, do you feel you play pretty well?

MONICA SELES: Yeah, then you play really well. For me it helps when I go to one of the these academies and play with these young kids. I think to me that's good judgment of where your game is. Then you get going. What my mistake has been in the past is you get very excited, and then you up your training program. I was always a player if I didn't train the right amount of hours, I didn't feel comfortable going, even though many times my coach has said, You're at that stage you really need to worry more about your fitness, not so much how you play, because even if you closed your eyes you could still play tennis. But I never felt that. I need to put in the hours. Maybe that has been my downfall, maybe putting in too many hours. I don't know. But definitely when I have the two good weeks, I get really excited. Then when you have the bad weeks, or you go in a cast, then you're like the other end. So it's a very up-and-down feeling. But I've got into dealing with it much better in the last year.Q. Why did you choose Toronto 10 years ago to come back after being off for so long?

MONICA SELES: Just I think it worked with the schedule, the way your schedule is beings made. I really decided less than a month before Toronto to decide to come back to play tennis. I didn't really have much of a choice. Then I played an exhibition in Atlantic City. After that, I felt, gee, I'm playing pretty good. Toronto was one of the tournaments that in the past, really before 1995, I'd never done well. I've never won Toronto. I figured it was a good way to come in. You have no pressure, you never really played well this tournament. That was really kind of the idea behind it. I changed my luck.

Q. You don't go that often to tournaments on the women's tour.

MONICA SELES: No, I've been down to Miami and I was at Wimbledon. Those were the only two other ones, yeah.

Q. And when you are on-site, do you miss playing?

MONICA SELES: I don't miss like -- I miss the playing part. I don't miss the traveling part. That part I definitely don't miss. I don't miss the waiting around for your match. That nervousness, I definitely don't miss. I miss the playing part. I miss the feeling you get when you walk on the court and when you come off the court. I definitely miss that. But certain things you miss, certain things you don't miss, I guess, yeah.

Q. What about the players? Are there people who come up to you and say they miss you?

MONICA SELES: Well, players never say that, I mean (laughter). That would be asking a lot. I certainly didn't miss the players when someone retired. That's selfishly. But I keep in touch with quite a few players, obviously quite a few near Sarasota, Bradenton area where I live. I have a couple of friends, so I keep in touch with them. I "mentor" a couple of the young ones coming up.

Q. Who do you mentor?

MONICA SELES: It's a couple of the girls from Yugoslavia.

Q. When you were a teenager in those years, one of the things you talked about was outside interests. You were talking about becoming an actress. I remember I saw you in a supporting role in The Nanny.

MONICA SELES: Yes, terrible.

Q. I thought you were good.

MONICA SELES: Thank you.

Q. I'm not a TV critic. Have you thought of doing that, especially when you see what Serena and Venus Williams do? Have you thought at this point in your life maybe you'll be a tennis commentator or consider acting as you once did?

MONICA SELES: I think in terms of what I like to do in terms of a job or schedule, I think really getting into architecture, is one area that I like to see. So we'll see. In terms of tennis, I think once I do decide to fully stop, it's more doing stuff with kids because I really believe tennis is going through a touch bit of a stagnation, especially in the States, not so much in Europe, and kids are not participating really in general in sports at all. I mean, I have a lot of God-kids, goddaughters, all this stuff. Most of them, computer, video games. I just think it's important to get out and get moving. It doesn't have to be in a professional level. I think a lot of times people misunderstand you have to play tennis only if you want to be a top player. But I don't agree upon that. And the way I started playing tennis was very simple, so it really doesn't take a lot. But either way, whatever sport it is, at least you go out and get out moving. That's kind of one of my things that's close to my heart. I guess those two would be.

Q. Who do you mentor?

MONICA SELES: One is Jelena Jankovic. The other one is an upcoming girl. No need to get the agents involved.

Q. Maybe we could take her ourselves.

MONICA SELES: Let the girl breathe. Later on in her life.

Q. Do you have any explanation for your foot problems?

MONICA SELES: I truly believe it's when you're a child, I had all these problems with different bones. That's been kind of like my issue. I think it's just playing too much on the hard courts when you're growing up. Like all the doctors said, your bone just kind of never becomes solid. A classic example was when I was stabbed at 19, I was like 5'7". Two years and a half from not playing, I grew two and a half inches. Usually most women don't grow at 19. But I think the tour is anyway looking at the whole issue of injuries. I think you see that now starting younger. I think my generation, at least with me it started at 27, my whole injury problem. I guess maybe some bodies break down more than others. I don't know. So it's one of those.

Q. Who is your favorite player to watch on tour right now and why?

MONICA SELES: Men's, women's?

Q. Women's.

MONICA SELES: I mean, women's I like, any time you see a top player play each other, like when you have a Venus, Maria playing, or Lindsay, Venus. Any time, one of those matches are great because you know you're going to see great tennis. That's really it. As everyone else, you like to watch the youngsters because you see the potential and you see the raw material and you just wonder, you know, where that potential's going to take them.

Q. Speaking of youngsters, since you raised so much good money for junior tennis last night, you probably know in Canada, two of our up-and-coming players are Aleksandra and Sharon Fichman. Sharon is only 14. I wanted to know what you thought of either one of them? Do you see something in your life when you watch a 14-year-old do very well?

MONICA SELES: Well, I've never seen them play, so it's hard to say. I think from 14 to 16 in women's tennis is a critical age because, I mean, women's tennis you have to do very well at an early age. So I think for them the next two years are going to be important in terms of their game development, the mental aspect of it, just getting the right amount of exposure, playing tournaments, training and finding that balance.

Q. Everybody talks about you and Steffi and Martina and Chrissy. Do you ever run into Steffi around the tour?

MONICA SELES: I haven't seen Steffi. I saw Andre last time when I was out there to watch my friend Tommy in the men's LA tournament. That was the last time. But I didn't see Steffi, no. Martina I run into all the time. My neighbor. Chrissy I ran into quite a few times. Not as often as Martina. Who else is there? I don't know. Gaby, I guess.

Q. Maria Sharapova, what impresses you most about her game?

MONICA SELES: I got to see Maria grow up a little bit at Bollettieri's when I would go hit there from all the coaches that work with me, that have worked with her there. She just always impressed me. Her work ethic was always pretty amazing. Very mature. I think she surprised everyone how fast she has got into this point. But I played her a year before she won Wimbledon. I remember calling my agent saying, "Wow, this girl has improved so much in one year and she has grown and physically become stronger." I think very well-deserved. Yeah, she's going to win many, many more Grand Slams. But, again, it's just key for her, for all the top players now to stay healthy. That seems to be what keeps holding her back. That's what's been hurting most of the tournaments this summer, is just injuries.

jfk
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Personally, I think she COULD be a top 10 player if she came back. No way could she be top 7, but, even at this age, she's probably a better player all around than the players who inhabit the bottom of the top 10: Petrova, Zvonareva, Myskina, etc. When she was playing in the late 90's, she did not lose often to players ranked below her, but she couldn't beat the top players consistently. Wouldn't surprise me too much if she came back like that...she's older but fitter, so it balances out.

On the other hand, with this much time away, she could have lost her sense for match play.

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM
You know , I heard most of this when Monica was here a week ago

Q. Who do you mentor?

MONICA SELES: One is Jelena Jankovic. The other one is an upcoming girl. No need to get the agents involved.

Q. Maybe we could take her ourselves.

MONICA SELES: Let the girl breathe. Later on in her life.

It's ok Monica, I think I know who it is :tape:

Geoffry
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Monica was in The Nanny? :eek: I can't remember her seeing in that show, and believe me, I have seen a lot of episodes.

Jakub
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM

please come back Monica , all the best :)

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I understand what she means about playing at a certain level. She played really badly in World Team Tennis last year. I truly believe, like Martina Hingis, she used that as gauge. Had she played better, I honestly felt she would have played the US Open last year. :sad:

But it's great that she loves the game and plans to give back to it as she is now by fundraising and mentoring. Her place in tennis history is quite secure, as she's a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. :D

matija-seles
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:37 PM

Marina?

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Monica was in The Nanny? :eek: I can't remember her seeing in that show, and believe me, I have seen a lot of episodes.

:lol: OMG..it was really, really bad just like she said! :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Personally, I think she COULD be a top 10 player if she came back. No way could she be top 7, but, even at this age, she's probably a better player all around than the players who inhabit the bottom of the top 10: Petrova, Zvonareva, Myskina, etc. When she was playing in the late 90's, she did not lose often to players ranked below her, but she couldn't beat the top players consistently. Wouldn't surprise me too much if she came back like that...she's older but fitter, so it balances out.

On the other hand, with this much time away, she could have lost her sense for match play.

I don't know about that...I saw her play World Team Tennis last summer and she stunk up the place save for a few points here and there. She lost 5-0 to Viktoria Kutuzova, who was nowhere near the level that she is at right now. Monica didn't even have a game point the entire set. In doubles she looked absolutely lost out there. I, a 5.0 mens level doubles player, could've done better, and I'm not even exaggerating when I say that.

That was what she was referring to when she said I'm not going to come back just to come back, which was what I did last summer.

IF she came back now, she could probably play top 300, top 200 ball. But when you've been in the top 10 your entire career and won every major tournament except Wimbledon, why on earth would you ever want to do that?

aheee!!
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:42 PM
wonder if monica is hitting with the tour players this week.that would be a good gauge for her to see how she's doing...

leni
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:03 PM

and it is???

jfk
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I don't know about that...I saw her play World Team Tennis last summer and she stunk up the place save for a few points here and there. She lost 5-0 to Viktoria Kutuzova, who was nowhere near the level that she is at right now. Monica didn't even have a game point the entire set. In doubles she looked absolutely lost out there. I, a 5.0 mens level doubles player, could've done better, and I'm not even exaggerating when I say that.

That was what she was referring to when she said I'm not going to come back just to come back, which was what I did last summer.

IF she came back now, she could probably play top 300, top 200 ball. But when you've been in the top 10 your entire career and won every major tournament except Wimbledon, why on earth would you ever want to do that?
Yes, but she wasn't playing on the tour fulltime at that point, had no rhythm, was more injured than she is now, etc. If she was feeling healthy and played enough matches, she might be able to regain some of her form from the late 90's.

pcrtennis
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Isn't it Ivanovic?

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
and it is???

It's a secret :tape:
It'll come out soon enough :bounce:

leni
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:27 PM
It is ivanovic?

DragonFlame
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:28 PM

it has to be ana for sure, oewh if it is ana that's gonna be nice :bounce: hehe

Rtael
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM

She played herself as a waitress at a Planet Hollywood or smth. like that.

Martian Jeza
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Great interview of a great champion :yeah: Monica, the girl who made me love tennis when I was a child :worship:

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Isn't it Ivanovic?

Whaaa...
Just because she says it's a young player, you jump to conclusions like that.:eek: Just to be clear, I am not on the inside but I stumbled upon something that clued me in what Monica is doing so I am reasonably sure whom she is referring to. I have much respect for Monica and I let her do as she likes and people she associates is her business and if she says it's secret for her then I am not going to spoil her business.

leni
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:40 PM
so,it is not Ivanovic?

DragonFlame
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Whaaa...
Just because she says it's a young player, you jump to conclusions like that.:eek: Just to be clear, I am not on the inside but I stumbled upon something that clued me in what Monica is doing so I am reasonably sure whom she is referring to. I have much respect for Monica and I let her do as she likes and people she associates is her business and if she says it's secret for her then I am not going to spoil her business.

you tell us you know something but you're not going to tell what. you made us anxious, if you didnt want us to know anything why did you say that you know something? :confused: now you're only trying to look cool and be in on the things monica does, please tell us! this is mean :p

©@®eLess
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:41 PM
It's not Ivanovic-she would name her cause she really not an upcoming player any more-everyone know her, she's TOP20 and has agents-lots of them. It could be anyone really either from Slovenia, Croatia or Serbia. But by Yugoslavia i thought she meant Serbia, cause jankovic is serbian. Only name coming up who trains in bolitieri of Serbian girls is Teodora Mircic, but she is like a worst Bolitieri's product ever She's 16, but i think it could be someone younger-like 13-14. I'll check up who's there from Serbian girls!

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
it has to be ana for sure, oewh if it is ana that's gonna be nice :bounce: hehe

I'd like it to be and it would be nice if they hook up sometimes but according to my info it's a different girl with last name ovic :lol: and that's all I am going to say.

©@®eLess
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM
and the guy asking her to make that girl American is shameless! Go find your own talents and let world alone. Wasn't it enough you got Martina and Monika! Don't consider us 3rd world countries anymore!We have two top20, and there are plenty of czechs and slovaks in top100 as well. So find your own!

Martian Jeza
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
and the guy asking her to make that girl American is shameless! Go find your own talents and let world alone. Wasn't it enough you got Martina and Monika! Don't consider us 3rd world countries anymore!We have two top20, and there are plenty of czechs and slovaks in top100 as well. So find your own!

Couldn't agree more and you also have very good football players :worship: JESTROVIC :worship:

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
you tell us you know something but you're not going to tell what. you made us anxious, if you didnt want us to know anything why did you say that you know something? :confused: now you're only trying to look cool and be in on the things monica does, please tell us! this is mean :p

I feel so terrible for starting this :sad: so there you go
click (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10008934)

matija-seles
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:53 PM
that is what i thought - marina

Babolatpro880
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM
So it's Erakovic. I thought it was someone from SCG, but she's from New Zealand. She could be quite a player someday. Anyway, Monica looks awkwardly skinny in that picture.

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:01 PM
So it's Erakovic. I thought it was someone from SCG, but she's from New Zealand. She could be quite a player someday. Anyway, Monica looks awkwardly skinny in that picture.

She hasn't had a chance to meet Ana :sad:
Ana said so sometime ago . But Ana probably had a chance to meet her idol this week in Toronto :angel: That would be awesome for any player :worship:

DragonFlame
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I feel so terrible for starting this :sad: so there you go
click (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10008934)

THANX, sweetie!!! :) wow, this could be big. if erakovic can adjust to monica's level she could become a top20 player. thx for sharing! :bounce: sorry i forced it a bit :o (and if you're a guy :o , thx dude! :) )

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:16 PM
THANX, sweetie!!! :) wow, this could be big. if erakovic can adjust to monica's level she could become a top20 player. thx for sharing! :bounce: sorry i forced it a bit :o (and if you're a guy :o , thx dude! :) )

I started it , my fault :banghead: . Just to clear , Monica acts as a mentor not a coach so she can't impact a player that much and their game. Just a moral support so to speak from time to time. BTw I am a dude :wavey:

M&M
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:24 PM
i luv monica and would luv to c her winning tournaments again :sad: :hug:

maccardel
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I think she should come back and if she does, she would likely be in the top 5 in six months. Its only natural for her, because a lot of players out there forgot her style of play so they will have to take some time in getting used to it. I think she would be a grand slam champion again.

Zl@tko
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM
thank you for the interview!

I hope she will be back, maybe in Australia... please come back, Monica!

faboozadoo15
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I think she should come back and if she does, she would likely be in the top 5 in six months. Its only natural for her, because a lot of players out there forgot her style of play so they will have to take some time in getting used to it. I think she would be a grand slam champion again.
baby steps, please! lol
i would love to see that more than anything in the world (well almost).

ezekiel
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I think title should be edited. Retirement/Comeback should be deleted as it just gave me a little shock but the interview is about lots of things and is not definitive.

jrm
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:48 AM

I remember that one ... Brighton made a joke about Wimbledon and made her furious :lol:

faboozadoo15
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:49 AM
I remember that one ... Brighton made a joke about Wimbledon and made her furious :lol:
she slapped him ;)

R&J
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks for posting that :wavey:

cartmancop
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM

I saw that episode the other day:) not sure what year it was...it was just kind of funny b/c I didn't expect it.

arcus
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Every seles interview should be compulsory reading for all up-n-coming WTA players

Modest, frank, thoughtful, saavy, considerate of others, insightful.
(basically, no ridiculous shit whatsoever from seles, others please take note :) )

IMISS MONICA!!!

vancouverite
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Every seles interview should be compulsory reading for all up-n-coming WTA players

(basically, no ridiculous shit whatsoever from seles, others please take note :) )

IMISS MONICA!!!

Very well said!;)

But this interview more than any other makes me doubt her ability to come back, based solely on that friggin' injury that simply won't let her do so...:mad: If she doesn't feel she can compete with the top 10 - and she clearly states she requires LOTS of practice time to feel comfortable launching an assault on the tour - she won't bother...

Whatever her decision (of course I'd love her to give it a shot), she has incomparable class!

Go Monica!:hearts: :worship:

R&J
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:17 PM

IMISS MONICA!!!

amen, good post :yeah:

Scotso
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Come back, Monica!

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:08 AM

IMISS MONICA!!! :worship:

SelesFan70
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:13 AM

IMISS MONICA!!!

She really has matured and is a fine example of statesmanship for the game. She's come a loooooooong way from her early days. :lol: She used to talk so dang fast it was hard to understand her.

DevilishAttitude
Aug 19th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I wish Monica would finally say she's not coming back. Everyone should know this by now yet she doesn't seem to want to tell the news :(

*Karen*
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I doubt she'll be back after all this time.

Andy.
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I saw that episode too LOL

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I love Monica Seles, she's my inspiration.

Kart
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Monica :hearts:.

Still :inlove: whether she's playing or not :worship:.