PDA

View Full Version : Serena: 'Tiger Woods motivates me'

RenaSlam.
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Tiger moves Serena
Williams says the world's best golfer motivates her to play at a higher level
By BILL HARRIS -- Toronto Sun

Serena Williams arrives at the Aces are Wild Gala in Toronto Sunday, August 14, 2005. (CP Photo/Aaron Harris)
Serena Williams gave a surprising answer when asked what motivates her at this stage of life.

"Tiger Woods motivates me," Williams said yesterday.

"He's what, 27 or 28? And I'm 23. I have seven Grand Slam victories and he has 10. So that motivates me."

Actually, Tiger is 29.

And he's a golfer, not a tennis player.

"I have an unofficial competition with him," Williams said. :lol:

Does Tiger know about this?

"No," Williams said with a smile. :lol:

"He's ahead of me, but I'm a little younger. I root for him all the time. I love him. I think he's incredible."

Well, Williams won't add to her Grand Slam list this week if she wins the Rogers Cup at the Rexall Centre at York University. But Williams can hone her game for the U.S. Open, which takes place in New York later this month.

Williams is making only her third appearance in Toronto for a pro tennis tournament, and her first since 2001, when she won the event. Her first match this year is scheduled for tonight at 7:30 p.m., against Stephanie Cohen-Aloro of France.

This week, Williams will be getting most of the attention from casual tennis fans in Toronto, since her sister Venus (flu) and current 'It' girl Maria Sharapova (strained right pectoral muscle) pulled out of the Rogers Cup over the past few days.

Serena insisted yesterday that tennis -- Grand Slam events in particular -- still is her top priority. But noticeably, she became most animated when discussing her current TV reality show, which also features Venus.

"Last week it was hilarious, because I actually broke up with someone on the show," Serena said. "Honestly, I thought that was so funny, because here I am in the stands, talking, and it was really very awkward how it went on.

"I forgot the cameras were on me and I was saying, 'I can't do this, I need more time.' It totally was very, very weird. I mean, I realized the cameras were on me, but I just thought they were recording Venus' match, because this all was going on while Venus was playing."

Speaking of playing, Serena hasn't played since Wimbledon, partially because of an ankle injury that subsequently affected her knee, but also because, well, she often takes a lot of time off after Wimbledon. The Williams sisters have been criticized in recent years for being merely part-time athletes, but Serena bristled at that suggestion.

"No, that isn't the case at all," she said.

"I have a great guy who looks over my (fashion) company, so all I do is sketch in my room and send them in, that's it. And as for acting, I haven't gotten any roles lately because I keep turning them down to train and play tournaments."

Williams said she hopes her reality show will make it clear to everyone just how focused she is on tennis. If Serena recognized the potential contradiction in her statement, she failed to indicate as much.

"We do have other interests, and we love each other, yada yada yada," Serena said of herself and her sister. "But at the end of the day, we're really tennis players."

Serena may be a tennis player, but her main rival apparently is a golfer. Even if that golfer is unaware of it.

"I'm a little behind Tiger," Serena said. "I have some catch-up work to do."

SJW
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
i fail to see what's funny about breaking up with someone on tv :p
and i dont like Tiger :shrug:
but i love Serena :hearts: and hopefully she'll finish with more majors than him

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Good for Serena to go after Tiger because there is no way for her to catch him, but if she keeps on his tail she'll end up with alot of majors.

Black Mamba.
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Two of my favorite athletes

XPaneruX
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Good for Serena to go after Tiger because there is no way for her to catch him, but if she keeps on his tail she'll end up with alot of majors.

Their is now way she can catch him?

In terms of Majors, she's only
three behind him.

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Their is now way she can catch him?

In terms of Majors, she's only
three behind him.

It's possible, but not likely even if she does, he'll pass her back up. He's probably going to play and win until he's 40.

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM
It's good to have Miss S J Williams back on the court...seemingly in MUCH better shape than at Wimbledon. :D

I thought she and Rattner were "just friends" anyways... :tape:

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:28 PM
It's possible, but not likely even if she does, he'll pass her back up. He's probably going to play and win until he's 40.

Good point! The shelf life for a golfer is much longer than for a tennis player.

Marcell
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I was talking to a friend recently about the parallel of Tiger's career and that of the sister's.When Tiger was winning everything it was the same time the sisters were dominating.When he was in his slump so were the sisters.When Serena won the Australian Open,Tiger won a major after a long time.I made a bet that if Venus and Tiger both won Wimbledon and the British Open respectively,I will have to keep an eye on this pattern.I hope Tiger losing this weekend is not an omen.

crazyroberto6767
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Tiger was *totally* dominating in 2000-2001, Serena was dominating in 2002-2003. Yes they were close, but I refuse to admit Miss Serena has one more thing in common with Tiger. I can't stand the guy. Even though I don't like him, I do have to admit there are many similarities. Plus, Serena could match or better his major total, as I am not convinced Tiger will get any higher than 18.

Edit: I guess Tiger was dominating when Venus was at her *peak* of winning majors. :p

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Good point! The shelf life for a golfer is much longer than for a tennis player.

I don't really consider golf a "sport". You can be fat and win on the PGA and LPGA tour. No athleticism required.

SJW
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I don't really consider golf a "sport". You can be fat and win on the PGA and LPGA tour. No athleticism required.
thats my view in short lol

Maryamator
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
i fail to see what's funny about breaking up with someone on tv :p
and i dont like Tiger :shrug:

same here..

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
She can probably catch him, but then of a golfer long career Tiger will continue to win slams after Serena retires.

One more thing, Tiger's focus is golf and golf only. He has a very methodical and systematic way of approaching training and match preparation. That could make it difficult for Serena to catch Tiger once he gets his game together. We all know how Serena feels about traning and preparation.
Right now Tiger is going through a transitional rough patch trying to retool his game and because of that, his play has not stablilized yet and he has had some un-tiger like finishes this year.

tennisIlove09
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Serena Returns In Toronto Tonight
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/SerenafhWTA04C.Lum.jpg
C.Lum/************** By Alberto Amalfi
08/16/2005

Serena Williams believes she's regaining the eye of the Tiger by looking into the Tiger's eyes.

The seventh-ranked Williams, who returns to tournament tennis for the first time since Wimbledon when she takes on lucky loser Stephanie Cohen-Aloro in the Rogers Cup second round in Toronto tonight, says she's drawn inspiration from golfer Tiger Woods.

"Tiger Woods motivates me," Williams told the Toronto Sun. "I have seven Grand Slam victories and he has 10. So that motivates me. I have an unofficial competition with him. He's ahead of me, but I'm a little younger. I root for him all the time. I love him. I think he's incredible."

The 2001 Rogers Cup champion, who has not played a match since succumbing to compatriot Jill Craybas, 6-3, 7-6(4) in the third round of Wimbledon last month, withdrew from Stanford and Carson citing the nagging left ankle injury that has plagued her since she rolled her ankle and was forced to retire from her Amelia Island quarterfinal match against Silvia Farina Elia on April 8th. Since her triumphant run to the Australian Open title in January, Williams has been limited to 16 matches, winning 10 of them.

Conceding she's not yet fully fit, Williams said her health has improved.

"I definitely feel better than I was in the past," Williams said. "I always come to a tournament trying to go the distance. That's why I'm here. I would love to be still training somewhere. But I'm trying to take it one day at a time, one match at a time."

Seeded fifth in Toronto, Williams is one of three former champions in the draw that lost top-seeded Maria Sharapova, who withdrew with a strained pectoral muscle. Defending champion Amelie Mauresmo, who also claimed the crown in 2002, and 2003 champion Justine Henin-Hardenne are the two other former Rogers Cup champion. The second-seeded Mauresmo plays Dally Randriantefy in the second round. Henin-Hardenne, who is seeded fourth, faces 41st-ranked Russian Evgenia Linetskaya in her second round match.

The Rogers Cup will be Williams' only even prior to the U.S. Open, which begins on August 29th, giving the two-time U.S. Open champion the prospect of much-needed match play.

"This tournament [in Toronto] is going to be my only one before the U.S. Open," Williams said. "This is a really big tournament for me. It would be great to actually play some matches before I go because I'm not playing anything else."

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Williams said she hopes her reality show will make it clear to everyone just how focused she is on tennis. If Serena recognized the potential contradiction in her statement, she failed to indicate as much.
I don't know about anyone else, but the reality show has made it clear to me that Serena is lackadaisical when it comes to her off-court training.

Veenut
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM
There is also the "Tiger Slam" and the "Serena Slam".

ampers&
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but the reality show has made it clear to me that Serena is lackadaisical when it comes to her off-court training.
You have pointed this out before…NUMEROUS times.

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:20 PM
She can probably catch him, but then of a golfer long career Tiger will continue to win slams after Serena retires.

One more thing, Tiger's focus is golf and golf only. He has a very methodical and systematic way of approaching training and match preparation. That could make it difficult for Serena to catch Tiger once he gets into his game together.
Right now he is going through a transition tring to retool his game and because of that, his play has not stablilized yet and he has had some un-tiger like finishes this year.
Two wins, a runnerup (two strokes back) and a T-4th (two strokes back after barely making the cut) in the Majors is un-Tiger-like? And I thought I was hard on Serena! :eek:

Helen Lawson
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Why is Serena kissing his ass all of a sudden?

ampers&
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:26 PM
They'll probably be promoting something together in the near future.
Probably Nike or Gatorade.

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Two wins, a runnerup (two strokes back) and a T-4th (two strokes back after barely making the cut) in the Majors is un-Tiger-like? And I thought I was hard on Serena! :eek:

Your assessment and my conclusion are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
If you have followed the eventsTtiger has entered this year, he has not been as consistent as in years past, and because of that he has played himeslf out Sunday contention.
He'll play brilliantlly Friday, then get himself in a hole so deep behing the leader Saturday, that it becomes impossible to dig himself out despite a stellar performance come Sunday.
In addition, when he has won lateley it has been very laborious and gut renching. You can clearly see he is struglling and he is not the tiger of old. But he is working hard to make things right

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Besides his wife and caddy, I suppose SOMEONE has to..... :tape:

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Maybe Serena does not know he is married.:D
Having just dumped her boyfriend for not making enough time for her, I do not think she would do much better even if Tiger was free. I pictured Tiger as one who spends a lot of time praticing and training to get and stay in shape. That does not leave enough time for Serena.

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe Serena does not know he is married.:D
Or maybe she does..... :devil:

vogus
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Serena is too into kissing the asses of celebrities for my tastes.

More to the point, she is also not in Tiger's league in terms of consistent dominance of her sport over the long term. I think Serena ought to talk a little bit less and win a little bit more, then she'd really be worthy of the comparison.

DanWoody
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I know a good training program for Serena to be in good shape for the grand slams. But I will not tell you :) - I don't know if all readers are over 18 ...

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM

More to the point, she is also not in Tiger's league in terms of consistent dominance of her sport over the long term. I think Serena ought to talk a little bit less and win a little bit more, then she'd really be worthy of the comparison.
I couldn't have said it better myself, and believe me, I've tried. ;)

SelesFan70
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, and believe me, I've tried. ;)

:lol:

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Or maybe she does..... :devil:

Tiger likes blondes. Serena could go blonde again... and who knows

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Oh please, it's not like she and her sister aren't friends with Tiger. This is far from the first time she's mentioned him. Who is winning slams more than Serena?? She's WALKING the walk to back up her talk.

ampers&
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Oh please, it's not like she and her sister aren't friends with Tiger. This is far from the first time she's mentioned him. Who is winning slams more than Serena?? She's WALKING the walk to back up her talk.
And don't forget to mention that Serena is currently ahead of Tiger’s grand slam pace. Technically, she would surpass him if tennis was a sport that required little to no athleticism. Like golf. :tape:

vogus
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Serena wins the USO, and all the critics mouths will shut, mine included. It's as simple as that.

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Serena wins the USO, and all the critics mouths will shut, mine included. It's as simple as that.

She won the AO. How come people like Maria's GS wins can last a whole year until they have to defend, but Serena's AO is ancient memory??

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Serena has fallen in love with the celebrety life style. And now living in Hollywood, the fluidity of that life style could spell trouble for the discipline and dedication a tennis player life style requires some time.

ampers&
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:13 PM
What about her winning the Australian Open?
Shall we just brush aside that victory?

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM
She won the AO. How come people like Maria's GS wins can last a whole year until they have to defend, but Serena's AO is ancient memory??
I think you know why, Kniz, but if we say so, we'll be accused of playing a certain "card"..... :tape:

vogus
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:27 PM

People cut Sharapova too much slack for her poor GS performances, i agree. But Sharapova is not a candidate for all time greatness in the sport. By the standards of Tiger Woods, anything less than a victory for Serena at the USO will be a letdown.

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
People cut Sharapova too much slack for her poor GS performances, i agree. But Sharapova is not a candidate for all time greatness in the sport. By the standards of Tiger Woods, anything less than a victory for Serena at the USO will be a letdown.

Tiger just resumed winning majors this year after a 2 1/4 year drought at the majors. So even he had a time where he wasn't winning majors. As great as Tiger is he can't win them all and neither can Serena.

Helen Lawson
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM
They'll probably be promoting something together in the near future.
Probably Nike or Gatorade.

As long as she's getting some money out of it, Helen approves. I'll sing the praises of Neely all day and night for some cold, hard, cash.

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
For those watching in Canada who is coaching Serena this week?
Oracene or Richard?
If Richard is not there, I hope he is working with Venus to get her game and shape back to Wimbledon form.

pav
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
It is related to (Shit can't think of Her name) winning an Oscar and Sidney Pointier etc. all gathering round Her,an out and out form of racism,that dosen't get criticised for some reason ,I remember now Halle Berry(about as sexy as an unshorn fourtooth Whether imho) Isn't it time to get over this race bloody thing? I still shudder at the sight on TV of black People whooping and jiving in the streets when O.J. was found not guilty,didn't know Him from Adam,but had somehow turned it into a race thing.

ampers&
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:32 PM
It is related to (Shit can't think of Her name) winning an Oscar and Sidney Pointier etc. all gathering round Her,an out and out form of racism,that dosen't get criticised for some reason ,I remember now Halle Berry(about as sexy as an unshorn fourtooth Whether imho) Isn't it time to get over this race bloody thing? I still shudder at the sight on TV of black People whooping and jiving in the streets when O.J. was found not guilty,didn't know Him from Adam,but had somehow turned it into a race thing.
What the fuck are you talking about?
Can you clarify this shit, please?

vwfan
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Serena's always talking trash. . . :lol: Nothing new here.
Sometimes she backs it up, sometimes she doesn't, but she never stops talking it. No prob! She's no Alexandra Stevenson, who you just wish would stop talking so much trash 'cause she has never and probably will never back it up. Both like the attention--maybe it's motivating! Everyone is different.
I like seeing the racket doing the talking personally.
So, good luck Serena. Walk, talk and play right through this field.

Ceecor
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Tiger woOods read this thread and said...
"what a coincidence,sometimes specially when lonely on tour..... ,
Serena's my motovation too"
OOhhhh :)

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Are you sure you are responding to this thread?

Infiniti2001
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM

things that make you go hmmmm :rolleyes:

Ceecor
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:59 PM
sorry but i own a color tv ;)

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:20 AM

Serena isn't kissing anyone's ass. She's said Venus has motivated her as well. These are all things for Serena not for the other person. Serena putting Tiger or Venus as those who motivate her to do better doesn't do a darn thing for either Tiger or Venus. They are mentioned because they do something for Serena.

Also, don't be upset just because Serena is able to mention the likes of Tiger and Venus as people who make her try harder. What is it hurting you?

With everything Serena has accomplished she can talk all she wants.

Diesel
Aug 17th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Serena has fallen in love with the celebrety life style.

Is Serena not a celebrity herself? She is a tennis player but her star far surpasses just athlete. I would hope Serena would fall in love with whatever lifestyle she currently is living. She's earned the right to do so.

And now living in Hollywood, the fluidity of that life style could spell trouble for the discipline and dedication a tennis player life style requires some time.

Considering that her success within the life style of a tennis player has helped garner that hollywood life style or whatever it is she's enjoying now, Serena seems to have been able to balance both out and it's only been a benefit.

The main problem I've seen is the dedication to Serena's own life by those not living it.