PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova To Play Gold Coast!

monster
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:37 AM
FROM TENNIS AUSTRALIA WEBSITE
Early entry!
Mondial Womens Hardcourts

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetid=RDM38377.5576227894
The poster girl of world tennis and soon to be crowned World No.1 Maria Sharapova has signed to play the 2006 Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts on the Gold Coast in January next year in what is a major coup for the international tennis tournament.

"I look forward to coming down to Australia in January for the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts," said Sharapova, who next week will overtake Lindsay Davenport to become the fifth youngest World No.1 in ranking points history.

"The tournament and the Gold Coast have a great reputation among the players on the tour and I’m sure the facilities and fans will provide the ideal environment to begin the new year and my preparations for the Australian Open a few weeks later," she added.

The announcement comes on the same day that a new title sponsor was announced for the popular preparation event for the Australian Open, with Mondial coming on board in a three-year deal. Mondial is part of the Mondial Assistance global network, the world’s largest provider of travel insurance, medical assistance for travellers, health insurance for students and automotive assistance services.

In a further boost, Queensland Government through Queensland Events has also announced today an extension of its association with the tournament with a new three year agreement.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38580.4064013657

The re-named Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts will take place at the Royal Pines Resort on the Gold Coast from 1-7 January 2006. "We are delighted to be able to welcome on board Mondial as the event’s naming rights sponsor on the same day as being able to confirm such a major drawcard as Maria Sharapova and renewed support from the Queensland Government." said Steve Wood, the new CEO of Tennis Australia.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38580.6710539583
Mondial Managing Director Peter Edwards at today's announcement.

"This tournament is renowned among the players as one of the best on the worldwide tour which is a major accolade. This reflects the financial and emotional investment put in by Tennis Australia and the event’s major supporters including the Queensland Government through Queensland Events Corporation, Gold Coast Tourism, Gold Coast City Council and Royal Pines Resort, to make it such a success year on year.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM37911.4997752083

"As the opening event of the WTA tour, and a great first step on the ‘Road to the Australian Open’ for all the top name players taking part, the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts promises to be a treat for fans and players alike in 2006."

Peter Edwards, managing director of Mondial said, "The Queensland Government’s renewed commitment to the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts is especially welcome news. We are proud to be involved in bringing the star of international women’s tennis to the Gold Coast, and supporting what has clearly become one of the premier events on the Australian professional tennis championship calendar."

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38580.6677587847
Tournament director Liz Smylie celebrates the announcement of Maria Sharapova's inclusion in the 2006 tournament with a new sponsor on board.

Liz Smylie, tournament director of the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts said, "This tournament continues to attract big name stars as it provides an ideal environment to prepare for the first Grand Slam of the new tennis season.

"Every tournament in the world would love to have Maria Sharapova play in their event and I’m thrilled she has chosen the Gold Coast to begin her 2006 Grand Slam campaign. It underlines the tournament’s status on the WTA Tour as a first class event."

The Gold Coast tournament has been very successful in attracting big name players including former World No.1s Justine Henin-Hardenne and Venus Williams, Grand Slam legend Martina Navratilova and Anna Kournikova. 2005 saw one of the hottest fields ever assembled for a Tier III event with six of the world’s top 20 and four former tournament winners including two time champion Ai Sugiyama and rising Russians Nadia Petrova and Dinara Safina.

Despite the strength of the field, it was local star and Australian No.2 Sam Stosur who very nearly took the honours narrowly losing in the final to Swiss star and 1999 champion Patty Schnyder.

tennisIlove09
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I think her goal is to win all the events Venus has :p just jokes...should be interesting to see if she holds that committment!

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Interestingly Sharapova has never played Sydney.

Sunny_Boy
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
bit of a surprise

Mattographer
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM
"I look forward to coming down to Australia in January for the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts," said Sharapova, who next week will overtake Lindsay Davenport to become the fifth youngest World No.1 in ranking points history.
How would she know the new sponsor happened on the same day? :rolleyes:

ozfan44
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:20 AM
yessssssssssssss now we wont have to put up with her at the hopman cup :banana:

Slumpsova
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM
i wonder if she know there's another tournament for top players named Sydney International :shrug:

yes_sir
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
i wonder if she know there's another tournament for top players named Sydney International :shrug:
That comes after

petey_pan
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Awesome i get to see her live :drool:

Slumpsova
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM
i know ;) :p :devil:

ceiling_fan
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM
weird...and early

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I am so sick of hearing about Sharapova.
SHUT UP
SHUT UP
There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many better looking players than her and soooooooooooooooooooooo many players with a nicer personality.
SHUT UP
SHUT UP

Portobello
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I am so sick of hearing about Sharapova.
SHUT UP
SHUT UP
There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many better looking players than her and soooooooooooooooooooooo many players with a nicer personality.
SHUT UP
SHUT UP
Maria Sharapova Maria Sharapova Maria Sharapova
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What're yu feeling now???

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM
:yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :woohoo: :zzz: :silly: :topic:

WIMBLY2004
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM
She never played tournament the week before slams, Sydney is in the week before Australian Open, so...

Q. You'll play Birmingham?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think so, yeah. I usually like a week off before a Grand Slam.

Roshane
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What're yu feeling now???

Yes, that sounds better!

The more Maria the better! :worship:

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:26 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wavey: :confused: :rolleyes: :bounce: :sad: :bounce: :lick: :wavey: :confused:

Portobello
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:28 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wavey: :confused: :rolleyes: :bounce: :sad: :bounce: :lick: :wavey: :confused:
:confused: :confused:
what're yu trying to say??
or are yu dumb?? :tape:

Happy Guy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM
That means Maria will be absent from Hong Kong Exhibition for the first time in 4 years. Well, good for a change in the lineup of HK too. ;)

Roshane
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Ok, here is the beautiful maria once again:

http://www.parlux.com/images/ms-ad.jpg

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Alicia Rocks
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
omg omg i cant wait for gold coast now
i wish alicia would go but she will play hopman
i live on the gold coast so i always go

arn
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Why is she playing another tierIII?? :scratch:

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :wavey: :bounce: :lol: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :yawn: :clap2: :bigclap: :bolt: :unsure: :bolt: :secret: :yeah: :yippee:

Portobello
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :yawn:

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:43 AM
:boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :drink: :drink: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Portobello
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Yeah,finally yu n me made this thread becomes hot thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
:boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :armed: :armed: :armed: :armed: :shout: :shout: :shout: :explode: :explode: :explode: :devil:

Roshane
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Maria is soooooooo beautiful and talented!

Now if you don't like the well earnt and deserved attention Maria gets, then just ignore it.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Yes u'd think Sydney would be better. :)

Roshane
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Yes u'd think Sydney would be better. :)

Its the week before a slam, Maria never plays within a week of a slam cos she wants to rest.

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah,finally yu n me made this thread becomes hot thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
:boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :armed: :armed: :armed: :armed: :shout: :shout: :shout: :explode: :explode: :explode: :devil:

Don't no what u mean and don't care. :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: Just go. :cuckoo: :silly: :zzz:

Portobello
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Don't no what u mean and don't care. :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: Just go. :cuckoo: :silly: :zzz:
don't care yu understand or not
:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :ras: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner: :nerner:

Dan23
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo...dont go to Gold Coast Maria :bigcry:

Maria Croft
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Awesome, that's a great way to start a new year !!

Dan23
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM
For 2 reasons...1) as said before Maria doesnt want to play the week before a Slam and...2) she hasnt had much room under the AER until next year

jamatthews
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:13 AM
So if she's starting the year with a Tier III she won't be playing Birmingham then? :sad:

lindsayno1
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:20 AM
it reminds me of americas next top model! The girls arent pretty at all...stringy hair and spotty, but when theyre made up, they look stunning!

Lady
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Well, so no Birmingham then?
That means she'll have to play a week before slam anyway! ;)

Cage
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:33 AM
i live at the gold coast so im happy she is playing :D i live 2 kms from the resort they play and stay at :D

@m@nd@
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo...dont go to Gold Coast Maria :bigcry:
agreed.

WIMBLY2004
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:33 PM
So if she's starting the year with a Tier III she won't be playing Birmingham then? :sad:

Why no Birmingham? I checked the WTA rule and didn't find anything about not allowing gold exempt player to play more than one Tier III in a year, all I could find is:-

E. EXEMPT PLAYER PLAY DOWN RULE
1. Open Weeks
In an Open Week (defined as a week where there is no Grand
Slam, WTA Tour Championships, Tier I or II Tournament)
scheduled opposite a Tier III, IV or V Tournament:
a. Gold Exempt players may play in Tier III Tournaments.

It's an open week as there is no other higher tier tournament in that week.

iPatty
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Now Patty can show Maria that she OWNS Gold Coast. Assuming Patty returns in 2006.

Andy.
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
That is a good choice. She doesnt like to play the week before a grandslam so this i a nice way to ease into the season.

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:43 PM
:woohoo:

tennnisfannn
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Gold coast is a wiser choice for most players tha sydney simply becuse of tyhe insane heat australia is in January. Playing sydney then AO, if it so hot is enough to drain anyone.

RenaSlam.
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Good luck.

franny
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Maria will never play Sydney. She hates playing the week before a Grand Slam. She's said that herself. That's why she plays at Birmingham and not Eastborne. Last year she played the week before the Open and look what happened. Who knows, maybe she'll change her mind in the future, but for sure she did say herself that she hates playing the week before a slam.

Brooks.
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Ok, here is the beautiful maria once again:

http://www.parlux.com/images/ms-ad.jpg

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

:eek: :eek: :worship: .....thats hot

pav
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Aug 17, 2005

Kiwi tennis fans won't get to see superstar players Maria Sharapova or Rafael Nadal in Auckland early next year after both players signed to play in Australia instead of the ASB Classic and Heineken Open respectively.

ASB Classic tournament director Richard Palmer tried in vain to get the Russian women's world number two but will head ot the United States next week without her on his shopping list.

Palmer will attempt to sign a top 10 player at the US Open.

Meanwhile the Heineken Open will not see Spaniard Nadal return after he played in the Auckland tournament in 2004 and 2005. The 19-year-old world number two has apparently signed to play in Sydney instead.source Onenews

No surprise N.Z.missed out on on Masha

Chunchun
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Queen of Tier III :angel:

Portobello
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:46 AM
lol lol better than Queen of Serving :angel:

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:49 AM
:hearts: Nadal @ Sydney! :drool:

I can't wait! :hearts: :lick:

Im really dissapointed, Sharapova playing another Tier III :o WTF?! :cuckoo: I think it's wise that she's playing an event ahead of the Australian Open. Atleast she's just not play exho's. :)

Sydney is better preparation ahead of Australian Open. Quality players, always atleast 5/6 of the TOP 10 show up. ;). She'll come to Sydney soon. :)

Chunchun
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:50 AM
lol lol better than Queen of Serving :angel:

I love Queen of Double Faults! :hearts:

Portobello
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I love Queen of Double Faults! :hearts:
hahah she's 1 of my fav too,no matter how weak she serve :lol: :lol:
Maria,yu always be my fav,no matter how many TierIII yu play :worship: :worship:

Dan23
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Im really dissapointed, Sharapova playing another Tier III :o WTF?! :cuckoo: I think it's wise that she's playing an event ahead of the Australian Open. Atleast she's just not play exho's. :)

Sydney is better preparation ahead of Australian Open. Quality players, always atleast 5/6 of the TOP 10 show up. ;). She'll come to Sydney soon. :)
Maria plays what she thinks suits her best, Tier III or not...the timing is good and she'll still get match practice which is what shes after, same goes for Birmingham. I know Maria considers the AO the toughest tournament of all because of the conditions and I doubt we'll see her playing the week before it in the near future ;)
I wouldnt say the Gold Coast player list is usually a poor Tier III list either :D

Queen of Tier III :angel::yawn:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM
First ever Russian world #1!! :angel:

waratahsrock
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM
This is great news! i booked my flights this arvo, and i'm goin to watch Maria in January!
Great preparation aswell, leaving enough time afterwards to prepare properly for the Aussie Open.
Pitty Auckland didn't get her, but never mind.

waratahsrock
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:08 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

WIMBLY2004
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM
:worship: Yeah, that guy is just jealous :lol:

Maria Croft
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM

lol :lol: