PDA

View Full Version : Intimidating Players

DomenicDemaria
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:14 AM
I am writing an essay for school about "How to be an intimidating player". I am stuck on ideas and I am asking for people's advise on what I could write on. Does anyone has any good examples of intimidating players and what you can do intimidate. I am really stuck so your help will be appriciated. Humour will be highly valued.
(or does anyone have a better topic. The topic has to be instructional and has to be a "How to...." essay. Also my teacher has limited knowledge on tennis, so please use examples of well known players.) Thanks :)

Berlin_Calling
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:19 AM
The staredown a la Venus, Serena, Sharapova. The bullet groundstrokes a la Venus, Serena, Mary, Lindsay, Monica.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:25 AM
The staredown a la Venus, Serena, Sharapova. The bullet groundstrokes a la Venus, Serena, Mary, Lindsay, Monica.

Thanks I was going to write about staring. I was thinking on writing for a player who has just started tennis with little skill.I was going to write how to intimidate better players so they can beat them.

Do you think clothes intimidate? For a beginner do they look like a better player if their clothes are hip.

Kar16d
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:26 AM
the Venus stare down no noise no nothin no expression at all just staring at you and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Marshmallow
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:40 AM
The best i can do at 4 am.

Well i remember seeing Kusnetsova at the USO 2004. The most striking thing was her face. It was Very imtimidating (first time i saw her). She was mostly expressionless, and cos she hits the ball VERY hard (very aggressive) - she was just like a terminator. Her overly thick eye brows enhances this effect. I remember just thinking... she'd make a great bouncer.

She doesn't have that anymore, probably because we've gotten to know her personality a little more. Plus i think she's trimmed those big brows.

Point - Players who give little away personality wise and are VERY agressive on court. It helps to have... the 'i can eat steal metal bars in 5 seconds' look Svetlana had at the USO 2004.

I also think, Kim clijsters must be intimidating to amateur girls. She practically bullies them on them court with some very agressive play. It's usually a 1, 0 score line and it goes by so quick. I think on of the girls she played at the French actually wet herself. There was a damp patch.. in awkward places.

Marshmallow
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:40 AM
+Good luck with your - essay.

crazyroberto6767
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Not sure if it helps, but if Serena looked at me like she does her opponents I would pee my pants :tape:. On the clothing issue, I think if a player looks totally comfortable in an "outfit" and the "outfit" is tennis oriented, a little intimidation is there. Also, (for beginners at least) sometimes the size of the bag or amount of tennis racquets may psyche players out a bit. Yes it seems juvenile and stupid, but I've seen it happen. Also, on the tennis court if someone steps inside the baseline on your serve, it could possibly intimidate the heck out of you.

Ceecor
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:49 AM
DomenicDemaria
For the purpose of your essay..If players can be from any sport and being aussie....
rugby league ..Newcastle Vs Parramatta ..Andrew Johns no1 player and half back in the world against parra 'halfback Tim Smith who was number 1 junour last year and 1st year in the top grade.......as smith fed scrums etc..comments from johns to the ref like .."see.. he cant even feed a scrum yet", "and yeah prolly anther year or 2 in the reserves is whats needed". proved to much for smith..good verbal Intimidation.

go hingis
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Some players get the crowd involved, Constantly hitting to their weakness, mix up the game and not let them have any rhythm.

Volcana
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
1) Serena, when she's in shape, has far and away the best definition in women's tennis. Her muscles aren't actually all that big, but she's so sculpted, she simply SCARES other players..

But any form of intimidation has to be backed up with results. In the 2005 Wimbledon semi, Williams vs Sharapova, you could see Sharapova talking to herself, saying, 'the ball keeps coming back'. THAT is when Venus Williams' total lack of emotion during a match becomes intimidating. When she's playing well.

kiwifan
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:19 AM
In every sport I've played I find that the most intimidating players are players who make you pay quickly and dearly for your own mistakes (be it an opportunistic Striker in soccer like Roger Mila, Serena returning second serves, Deion Sanders returning an intercepted pass for a touchdown, etc.)

When you know your opponent feeds on your mistakes, it makes you more tenative and sadly enough leads to even more mistakes. :scared:

middy
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Most intimidating

Serena and Justine the way there stare down at their opponets http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared0016.gif

Justine when she wins a point or when whatever her opponent does and they cant sem to close out the match, she gives them a stare and if I were the opponent I would bolt.
Serena is just crazy, she just puts the fear of god in her opponents, I love it

Wombat
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Clothes can be intimidating if you just write JUSTINE across your top. :lol:
Your chance to win will increase by a mile))))

deja_entendu
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I think mental toughness really, if someone has it, and it's time for clutch play, the mentally weaker players fold like a deck of cards... it's intimidating to play someone knowing they'll find a way to fight back.

tennisrox
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Serena is freakin scary!!If i met her in a dark alley i'd run the other way!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Maria, Jennifer, or Serena staredowns. They have the scariest glares.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas. It all has helped me very much!!! Yeah I was planning to base my examples on the Williams sisters seeing they are well known. I was also going to include grunting. It makes your shots look harder and can intimidate your opponent by putting them off. Do fist pumps intimidate? I think to a degree they do

lindsayno1
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM
the height. having a davenport down the other end of the court is enough is enough to make someone intimidated. Shes huge!!!

The grunt can be intimidating ie sharapovas just gets louder and louder.

Their name... any top 10 player will indimidate a lower ranked player whos not that confident

Mike_T
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Anytime Jenny Cap walks on court with a violin case. She also left a horseís head in Casanovaís bed, but it didnít have the desired intimidating effect. Myriam just deep-fried it, ate it, and ordered another from room service.

ampers&
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM
The Serena stare down...sooooooooooooooooooo sexy. :drool:

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Schiavone.

vwfan
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:34 PM
serena staredown and venus icy calm, when she needs to raise the level of her game.

njnetswill
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Getting balls back over and over...that can be very intimidating. Your opponent will feel the need to go for bigger and bigger shots, and eventually miss.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Serena Williams -v- lil ole Justine Wimby 03? or was that 02?

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM

More like vs big ole Mauresmo at RG 03, Serena was downright menacing in that match. The way she strutted to her chair like she was pissed off at the first changeover and snatched the tower up quickly off the chair and sat down with a thud. :drool:

Then Venus with the paralyzing stare at Capriati at the US Open 2001 after Jen opening her mouth whining.

darrinbaker00
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Maria, Jennifer, or Serena staredowns. They have the scariest glares.
The staredown means nothing if you don't have the game to back it up. The best way to intimidate your opponent is to beat them so convincingly, so often, they believe they CAN'T beat you.

calabar
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:30 PM
The staredown means nothing if you don't have the game to back it up. The best way to intimidate your opponent is to beat them so convincingly, so often, they believe they CAN'T beat you.

Agreed. I've never heard of a player who lost a match because of a staredown. NOTHING scares a player like an old fashioned ass whooping.

K-Dog
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
More like vs big ole Mauresmo at RG 03, Serena was downright menacing in that match. The way she strutted to her chair like she was pissed off at the first changeover and snatched the tower up quickly off the chair and sat down with a thud. :drool:

Then Venus with the paralyzing stare at Capriati at the US Open 2001 after Jen opening her mouth whining.

Do you have a clip of that??!! I must have missed it!!

Knizzle
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Do you have a clip of that??!! I must have missed it!!

What? If you mean Serena, no I don't. I used to have it on tape, but taped over it. Actually I'd like to see that entire match if anyone has it. :wavey:

Midnite Surfer
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Wimbledon `03 That was after the hand incident at the French. You could feel the anger coming off of Serena during that match. I have never seen her hit the ball so hard. There some forehands in there that scorched the grass. And she also stared at Justine during the changeovers like, "Yeah. What now?"

Smackie
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I think intimiating players are intimidating not because of what they wear or their size. It's all about their past matches, ie what they are capable of.

Most if not all players mentioned above are all number 1s and multiple tourney winners.

Of course being stared by Serena and Justine does make one soil one's pants.

K-Dog
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM
What? If you mean Serena, no I don't. I used to have it on tape, but taped over it. Actually I'd like to see that entire match if anyone has it. :wavey:

I saw the Serena match. I didn't see the staredown of Venus when she played Jen.

SJW
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:52 PM
the Williams Sisters. if you ever get criticised for looking at other players, you MUST be intimidating.

SJW
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I saw the Serena match. I didn't see the staredown of Venus when she played Jen.

that was top class. even i was scared. LMAO.

volta
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM
the Williams Sisters. if you ever get criticised for looking at other players, you MUST be intimidating.
:worship: ;)

volta
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM
that was top class. even i was scared. LMAO.
i don't remember that one :banghead: