PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Maria Kirilenko?

Jem
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:33 AM
I'll admit straight up that I've never seen Maria K play or even know much about her. It's just that there's been a lot of hype over the past two years, and she hasn't really produced any high quality results. From what I've heard, she's a baseliner with very fluid and solid strokes. It's the kind of game that you think would have produced some truly outstanding results for someone who is almost 19. Was she more hype than substance? Are there flaws in her game that will keep her in the middle of the pack, without any real breakout performances? She's got a great name, but does she have enough game for the fame?

After 30+ years of watching this game, I've learned that players mature at their own pace -- some earlier, some later, but also, some never. Would appreciate any thoughts folks have on Kirilenko and her potential. Thanks in advance.

selyoink
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:41 AM
I think most hype is due to how well she played against Serena at the FO last year. She probably played the best match of her life and nearly took Serena down. Thus the hype.

Crazy Canuck
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I think most hype is due to how well she played against Serena at the FO last year. She probably played the best match of her life and nearly took Serena down. Thus the hype.
That , and she's very attractive.

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Yes, the Ws have had their share of indirectly contributing to the hype

of some players last few years.

To name just few: Sperm. Sesil, Angela Haynes, Carybas, Uberoi.

These players were catapulted to the limelight before they are truly ready to take the pressure associated with it.

*hingis_forever*
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:56 AM

These players were catapulted to the limelight before they are truly ready to take the pressure associated with it.
It's not just the WS who help hype players. Any lower ranked player beating or coming close to beating a top player is going to get hyped.

Andy.
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:00 AM
She has a great deal of talent and is very Hingus like in her playing style perhapas with a bit more power. She is a great all court player with every shot in the book and glides beautifully around the court. All she needs in some confiedence and some time and she will become a very good player.

tennisbum79
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:26 AM
It's not just the WS who help hype players. Any lower ranked player beating or coming close to beating a top player is going to get hyped.

Ideally, that is how it should be. But in reality the one who have notoriety are the one who have competed against the WS. Furthermore, they achieved instant recognition and up-and-comer status if they beat the WS.

Dan23
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:46 AM
As Andrew (MMFan) said Maria has almost all the shots and moves very well and is very handy at the net...her serve can let her down at times and she can lose concentration when things dont go her way. She won the Girls US Open in 2002 and has shown she can beat very good players this year (Schnyder, Bovina) and took Mauresmo and JHH (on clay) to 3 sets. Hopefully she can gain the consistancy required to move further up the ranks.

roscoe111
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I saw her play mixed with Oliver against Hrbaty/Likhovtseva. She's very gifted and also
tacticlly clever. She has the potential to be a top 20 singles player for a few years but I doubt that she'll ever be a consistent slam contender. She's just not physically big enough, nor did she appear to have any one outstanding weapon to bother any of the top 5.
If she follows Likhovtseva's example and focuses on doubles she can have a very nice pro career. Incidentally, the hype is due to the fact that the girl is gorgeous.

Atrixo
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:58 AM
The thing about Maria Kirilenko (I saw her match today), is that she has a variety of shots in her arsenal, BUT she doesn't have any gameplan to use them.

Hingis utilized her arsenal constructively and creatively, BECAUSE she always had an idea about what she wanted to do against a particular opponent, on a particular point, in a particular situation.

Granted, not every player is a "thinker" out there; but when you don't have any "true weapons", it becomes necessary to become more aware of "constructing" points. Little Masha, unfortunately. has yet to reach that stage of "maturity" and "understanding".

Volcana
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Was she more hype than substance?At the moment, yes. Has she got slam-winning potential? No. at least, nothing she's shown so far. Top ten? She has more tools at her disposal than Anastasia Myskina. But Myskina's smart. So far, Kirilenko is nothing special in the mind department.

Derek.
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Maria is a very crafty player. Great groundstrokes and solid at net. But like people said before her serve can let her down at times. She's very fast and graceful about the court. I love watching her play. She plays with a lot of emotions, but not the cry-baby type. She has potential to be Top 10 once she puts it all together imo. :)

Wombat
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:24 AM
She got the game
but lacks of consentration, consistency and strategy.
So the remedy is to grow up and gain that maturity
or
get a smart coach and perhaps a shrink

Jem
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks, everyone for the replies. It will be interesting to see how far she goes.

spike83
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM
it's not because you have potential you reach top 10, just look at Bovina, Kostanic, Sprem, Ondraskova, Douchevina, for example ...

Renaissance
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM
The level she played against Serena at Roland Garros was just fantastic,I don't think it was ephemeral she has just a lot of talent but she needs more time than her compatriots

Libertango
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
That match she played against Serena at RG last year was amazing. She was unlucky not to win and I thought if she can play like this consistently then she's definitely top ten material.

She hits the ball really beautifully but she doesn't look as strong as other players. But then JHH built up, so maybe so can she. I think her serve is a little weak though.

tenn_ace
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM
she needs top get rid of her coach. obviously it's not working.

Dan23
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:33 PM
she needs top get rid of her coach. obviously it's not working.
Maria recently parted company with her long time coach and is working with a new coach, Andrei Olhovskiy

sartrista7
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:34 PM
The deal with Maria Kirilenko is that, like MANY of the players ranked around where she is and lower, she's very talented indeed, but is incapable of bringing her best tennis to the tour every week. Like Angela Haynes, she was lucky in that she DID bring her best tennis at a Slam against a top player, which is why both of them get disproportionate attention to their week in week out results. (Of course, she also has the retarded OMG SHE'S REEEEEALLI PREEEEETTI!!!11!!! fanbase out in full force, too, most of whom call her things like "Makiri".)

I like Kirilenko a lot (same with Haynes) - at her best she's an incredibly graceful mover, and has good court awareness and variety, and any young player who isn't just a power baseline basher is a good thing in my book. But I'm under no illusions that she'll ever be a top player - quite apart from the fact that she's very, very lightweight, her progress up the ranks just hasn't been impressive or consistent enough. You don't lose to Eva Birnerova at Slams if you're planning on being in the top 20 any time soon...

Helen Lawson
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I saw her play doubles with "Big Masha" at an exhibition, so my experience with her is pretty limited. She's very pretty and blonde, no Anna obviously, I mean who is, but I think in the looks department, in person, she can hang with Maria. I don't know how photogenic she is. She has fairly decent net shots and is fast. I didn't see any power from her compared to "Big Masha" and Vaidisova. She also tried to drill what's his name in the head at net, and I don't like what's his name, so I became an instant fan.

HTE
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Maria is a very crafty player. Great groundstrokes and solid at net. But like people said before her serve can let her down at times. She's very fast and graceful about the court. I love watching her play. She plays with a lot of emotions, but not the cry-baby type. She has potential to be Top 10 once she puts it all together imo. :)

True, if only she could stay injury free over a longer period I think we could really see what she can do. Right now it's just a lot of potential and a one disappointment after the other.

timray
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM
When Maria and Maria K are playing together, Sometimes they remind me of Martina and Pam.

The first is really great but the second will never be.

timray
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Maria is playing doubles with Gisela Dulko, They look nice, don’t they?

Jeff
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM
When Maria and Maria K are playing together, Sometimes they remind me of Martina and Pam.

The first is really great but the second will never be.

Lol...what a funny (but at the same time sad) comment.:lol: :o

Lemonskin.
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM
HOT. :D

:woohoo:

andrewbroad
Sep 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
When I first saw Maria play - at Birmingham 2004 - I was captivated by her brilliant all-court game... but only for three games, as she went off the boil at 3-0 up in the first set, and lost 6-4 6-3. Maria has nice volleys and a great return of serve. I also find her pretty and extremely cute, with a pleasant, smiling demeanour.

If Maria had been born 20 years earlier, she could have been top ten for sure, if not better than that. Perhaps even if she had been born 10 years earlier.

Unfortunately, she's just too weak physically to compete against today's powerful, athletic generation of players - such as Jamea Jackson, who beat her 6-2 6-3 in front of me at Birmingham 2005 (a defeat that Maria avenged this week at Beijing).

But Maria is only 18, and I believe that her best years are ahead of her if she gets stronger and more consistent.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

timray
Sep 25th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Lol...what a funny (but at the same time sad) comment.:lol: :o
Maybe I was wrong about Maria K.

Infiniti2001
Sep 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
What sartrista7 said :p She reminds me of Daniela in 2002, you know. The graceful player with lots of potential, but not too much power. Also, she's cute and all, but she just looks like some average girl in mid America who is a little too thin.

I can't wait for Miss deja_entedu to enter this thread :lol:

Experimentee
Sep 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Just because she won a title where top players were injured doesnt mean shes going to be a top player. It seems like everything she does gets disproportionately hyped up, rather than taken for what it really is.

harloo
Sep 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Just because she won a title where top players were injured doesnt mean shes going to be a top player. It seems like everything she does gets disproportionately hyped up, rather than taken for what it really is.

This seems to happen with alot of players these days. Also I don't even understand why people consider her beautiful? She looks alright but is not a knockout. I don't get it.:lol:

the cat
Sep 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Excellent post Andrew. I agree that if Maria Kirilenko were playing 10 or 20 years ago a lightweight like her would have much more success back then than now because the WTA players were much smaller then than they are now.

But the main thing is now that Maria has won Bejiing she has finally won her first WTA Tour singles title and that should get her to realx and let her talented all court game flow in a tennis world that's over flowing with WTA Tour amazons.

furrykitten
Sep 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I think Maria K has a special cuteness about her and the fact her and Maris S are good friends makes us Sharapova fans like her even more.

deja_entendu
Sep 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Of course you can't wait :wavey: We all know about your 1/2-year long infatuation with my every word, no need to repeat it in EVERY thread :lol:

Moving on to something more interesting, Maria's advantage over her peers is that she's far more talented and gifted than any of them -- her ability to hit a variety of shots with a SMOOTH transition game is great. I think she will be in the top 10 soon. She's in the top 30 already now, and her game is that where she needs a lot of confidence/experience to really make it work for her. Go Maria! :hearts:

selesfan
Sep 25th, 2005, 06:56 PM
This seems to happen with alot of players these days. Also I don't even understand why people consider her beautiful? She looks alright but is not a knockout. I don't get it.:lol:

She is a blonde, don't you know all blondes are gorgeous:rolleyes:

le bon vivant
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I find Masha K to be a very attractive woman. Shes not average to me, theres something special about her.

Shit, I think Ive been around these boards too long. Even Myskina has become beautiful to me now.

starr
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Maria K is very pretty. She's gorgeous on the court.

It's her allround game that is attractive to watch. If you heard she is a basline player you are wrong! I go to watch her play simply to see a woman who doesn't bang the ball from the baseline. Unfortunately, for her, it's that style of play that wins women's tennis matches these days. She can't stand up to the big hitters.

I wish that this tournament will make a difference for her though. :)

I recommend that anyone go and take in an early round match from Maria. It will be a lot of fun.

starr
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM

You think players are gorgeous who I find not pretty at all. Different people like different things.

You probably don't think Klara Kouklova or Gisela Dulko are pretty either, but I think they are very pretty girls. It doesn't really matter whether you get it or not.

starr
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Of course you can't wait :wavey: We all know about your 1/2-year long infatuation with my every word, no need to repeat it in EVERY thread :lol:

Moving on to something more interesting, Maria's advantage over her peers is that she's far more talented and gifted than any of them -- her ability to hit a variety of shots with a SMOOTH transition game is great. I think she will be in the top 10 soon. She's in the top 30 already now, and her game is that where she needs a lot of confidence/experience to really make it work for her. Go Maria! :hearts:

I dont' know if I agree with her being in the top 10 soon. I hope you are right. But she does have a SMOOTH transition game, and she has a great variety in her game.

kabuki
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....
Jill Craybas is a journeywoman veteran of the tour. I don't think she belongs in this list.

clonesheep
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM
The thing about Maria Kirilenko (I saw her match today), is that she has a variety of shots in her arsenal, BUT she doesn't have any gameplan to use them.

Hingis utilized her arsenal constructively and creatively, BECAUSE she always had an idea about what she wanted to do against a particular opponent, on a particular point, in a particular situation.
That's very true. There're quite a few players who can hit all the shots, but Hingis uses a shot at the right time when it counts.

The few times I watched Kirilenko, she seemed to play absent-mindedly sometimes even though she did hit good shots from time to time. Remainds me of Hantuchova but Dani is slightly more powerful with a better serve. I expect Maria to have a long career in the top 20-50, reaching one or two QF's of grand slams, plus a couple of titles of other tour events. Off court, though, she is one of the prettiest and most friendly players around. A perfect girlfriend :)

TFan1156
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM
She has a great deal of talent and is very Hingus like in her playing style perhapas with a bit more power. She is a great all court player with every shot in the book and glides beautifully around the court. All she needs in some confiedence and some time and she will become a very good player.

I suspect your hormones are talking here... She is currently a mediocre player that just won a mediocre tournament as a result of the withdrawals of the three big guns. And I suspect Groenfeld floundered in the final.

the cat
Sep 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Relax TFan. Anna-Lena served well in the final at 64% first serves and she had 6 aces to only 1 ace from Kirilenko. Anna_lena served bigger and better as expected but Kirilenko played better tennis and won the final which is her first WTA Tour singles title. :) Maria can outmanuever Anna-Lena and that's what she did according to the reports on the match. And Anna-Lena said Masha played very well.

By the way Tfan, I can't wait for the first Kirilenko - Karatancheva match. :yeah: That will be a very interesting match.

TFan1156
Sep 25th, 2005, 11:14 PM
And Anna-Lena said Masha played very well.

What do you espect her to say Cat.... ;)

By the way Tfan, I can't wait for the first Kirilenko - Karatancheva match. :yeah: That will be a very interesting match.

Only interesting if you would enjoy watching Maria get Sesilated... :D

P.S.
Nice seeing you Cat. :D

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:24 AM
:P

She will rule the world. It will take her time... ;)

Derek.
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Only interesting if you would enjoy watching Maria get Sesilated... :D

No, Sesil would get Makirinated. ;)

Dawn Marie
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:43 AM
She has alot of talent, but the key will be how will she handle the pressure? She needs to get a bit more muscle imho. Not bulky but a bit of muscle like Justine did.

Anyway, she takes the ball early and has some good strategy imho. Now that she has this title I will be tuning in to see how well she goes in her career.

russophile
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:44 AM
i think it's great that she won her first title. go maria!

actor1
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:46 AM

Granted, not every player is a "thinker" out there; but when you don't have any "true weapons", it becomes necessary to become more aware of "constructing" points. Little Masha, unfortunately. has yet to reach that stage of "maturity" and "understanding".
this is the most right on post i've seen in years.

leokennan
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:24 AM
i believe she could rush into top 10 players in next year

azi
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:44 AM
I suspect she will be in the sprem-hantuchova league, with good talents but with unsuccessful on the big tournies like grandslams...

DevilishAttitude
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Maria is :hearts: :drool:

While she has a nice and different game to watch I'm still shocked she could win a Tier 2. She played a smarter match than ALG did and when she got used to the moonballs it was over.

I still think if she wants more success she'll have to hit harder. She managed to take advatage of ALG's poor movement ut that'll be more difficult towrads the Top.

I don't think she'll be Top 20 but who knows.

Sharapower
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:50 AM
I don't think she'll be Top 20 but who knows.

Acually she's already 20 in the year to date rankings (race), so with correct results in her upcoming tourneys until the end of the year, she can make it soon.

DuLeafs
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:02 AM
This victory will shut the peeps up who were saying Maria K has no talent :p

the cat
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Maybe Brad Gilbert and Shamil Tarpishev were right afterall in expecting good things from Maria. :)

Nice post Dawn Marie. But Dawn, belie e it or not Maria has already added a little muscle and beef to her slight of might frame.
Hi TFan. :wavey: I'm not sure Masha would get Sesilated by Sesil. Unless she's nervous about playing a girl almost 3 years younger than she is.

Well said Ajmo. ;)

goldenlox
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/BEJ11909251416.jpg

Russia's Maria Kirilenko celebrates her win over Germany's Anna Lena Groenefeld at the finals of the women's China Open tennis tournament in Beijing, China, Sunday, Sept 25, 2005. Kirilenko won 6-3, 6-4.
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/BEJ10809251349.jpg

DA FOREHAND
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:29 PM
What sartrista7 said :p She reminds me of Daniela in 2002, you know. The graceful player with lots of potential, but not too much power. Also, she's cute and all, but she just looks like some average girl in mid America who is a little too thin.

you know miss thing will be here as soon as her nails dry

tennisjam
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
she plays good...

she looks good...

it seems good to me... :)

deja_entendu
Sep 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM
i already was here :hearts: but i'll re-enter, just to give props to gl (ONCE AGAIN!) for the amazing kirilenko pictures! she's so damn cute :bounce:

Dementirilenko
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Hmm, I started to like her since this years US - Open, she is really talented and hot player. She played a great tourney at Bejing and it is great that she won it. I think a she is one of this young players like Karatantcheva and Ivanovic who will be very popular and succsessful in the future.