PDA

View Full Version : Men get paid more than double in Canada

ezekiel
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Serving up sexism?
(http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1123969809577&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home)

Andrew..
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:21 PM
It's two different levels of tournaments, not sexist.

Sam's Slave
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:24 PM
It's two different levels of tournaments, not sexist.

why two different levels?

Jem
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I'm all for equal prize money, but the women's tour doesn't ask for it. The men demand top price for their Master's series events and get it, in part because most of the men are required to play these events and the market pays for it. The women have set a lower threshold for their Tier 1 tournaments. Plus, with the women, you never know whether the top tournaments will have the top draws or whether some Tier II or lower-tiered tournament will have better draws and bigger stars showing up for outrageous guarantees.

I'm just thankful that the U.S. Open has led the way in equal prize money at grand slams.

If the women want more, they may need to ask for it and see if the market will bear it.

416_Man
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Women do not deserve more. Masters Series Canada draws atleast 8 of the top 10. The Ladies' Canadian Open struggles to get 6 of the top 10. And the men don't have the right to deny entry. The women can. Until that happens, and the field remains considerably weaker, you have to say sorry.

ezekiel
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Having watched today's matches , I agree , it was pitiful

Andrew..
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:11 AM
The WTA is screwed up so badly right now... Tennis can't be a part time job, which is the message that the WTA is sending all of it's players. The $100,000 withdrawl fine is laughable. With the amount alot of these girls make, they might as well send the check along with a nice picture of their middle finger.

CanadianBoy21
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:34 AM
The WTA is screwed up so badly right now... Tennis can't be a part time job, which is the message that the WTA is sending all of it's players. The $100,000 withdrawl fine is laughable. With the amount alot of these girls make, they might as well send the check along with a nice picture of their middle finger.

:lol:

Besides the level is far lower. The matches today should have been forbidden to be shown on tv. I am glad I am going on Wednesday and that I didn't go today, it looked horrendous.

Crazy Canuck
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:45 AM
I'm all for equal prize money, but the women's tour doesn't ask for it. The men demand top price for their Master's series events and get it, in part because most of the men are required to play these events and the market pays for it. The women have set a lower threshold for their Tier 1 tournaments.

We have a winner :yeah:

If Canada won't pay the required amount for ATP Masters Series prize money, they say bye bye to their Masters Series. Oh, and the Rexall Centre and other improvements to the Toronto venue? Those weren't done because the WTA demanded them...

mboyle
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:02 AM
The ATP is amazing, and the WTA sucks. I mean the organizations, not the players;) .

JLDementieva
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:06 AM
that just sucks :(

vogus
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Serving up sexism?
(http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1123969809577&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home)

good thread. I have been asking forever, why the women always complain about getting 1 percent less at Wimbly and FO, when they don't even get HALF what the men get at the Canadian, Italian, and German Opens. The WTA is just a very weak organization compared to the ATP.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:29 AM
I agree, look at the tier 1 Mary won. Not to put Mary down, it was great win, but most of the top players were not there. You had three unseeded players in the semis due to bad play from the top players.

Atrixo
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:44 AM
I agree with the point, that the women really need to start DEMANDING their fair share. But the WTA also has to start asserting more authority (i.e. much harsher penalties for withdrawls/no-shows) over their players, as well. In addition to much larger monetary fines/deductions, they should also strip the player of a large chunk of their ranking points. That would certainly HURT!
But at the same time, the WTA has to make the their Tier I (and Tier II) tournaments so enticing (financially and ranking-wise) and rewarding, that they would be comitting career suicide if they missed them. Theoretically, whatever is good for the tour in the long-run, can only benefit the players as well. Both sides have responsibilities to fulfill.

The WTA has more marketable players than the ATP, and yet they're failing to get the prize money on par with the men. Because contrary to what some people might say, I personally believe that the market and demand is there for the women. The Grand Slams are a start; but the sooner the WTA makes a concerted effort to upgrade the money at ALL tournaments, the better. I believe that they should take a look, and separate the "pretender" tournaments, from the "real deal" ones (most financially viable and marketable).

All the more puzzling, is that Larry Scott was the former head of the ATP; yet he's demonstrating that he's a complete and utter moron, by his handling of the WTA. Sure he's gotten a title sponsor or two; but what else? The women's game is booming, yet he's been unable to fully exploit and develop it.

Jem
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I agree with the point, that the women really need to start DEMANDING their fair share. But the WTA also has to start asserting more authority (i.e. much harsher penalties for withdrawls/no-shows) over their players, as well. In addition to much larger monetary fines/deductions, they should also strip the player of a large chunk of their ranking points. That would certainly HURT!
But at the same time, the WTA has to make the their Tier I (and Tier II) tournaments so enticing (financially and ranking-wise) and rewarding, that they would be comitting career suicide if they missed them. Theoretically, whatever is good for the tour in the long-run, can only benefit the players as well. Both sides have responsibilities to fulfill.

The WTA has more marketable players than the ATP, and yet they're failing to get the prize money on par with the men. Because contrary to what some people might say, I personally believe that the market and demand is there for the women. The Grand Slams are a start; but the sooner the WTA makes a concerted effort to upgrade the money at ALL tournaments, the better. I believe that they should take a look, and separate the "pretender" tournaments, from the "real deal" ones (most financially viable and marketable).

All the more puzzling, is that Larry Scott was the former head of the ATP; yet he's demonstrating that he's a complete and utter moron, by his handling of the WTA. Sure he's gotten a title sponsor or two; but what else? The women's game is booming, yet he's been unable to fully exploit and develop it.

You make many good points here, but I think you're missing the boat on Scott. What he's done in a short time is amazing. You don't negotiate deals like that at the drop of a hat; it takes time and energy. His first task was to get the WTA on a more solid financial footing and he's clearly done that. Now's the time to begin tackling some of these other issues. I believe he will will continue to be succesful. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!

volta
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:45 PM
The WTA is screwed up so badly right now... Tennis can't be a part time job, which is the message that the WTA is sending all of it's players. The $100,000 withdrawl fine is laughable. With the amount alot of these girls make, they might as well send the check along with a nice picture of their middle finger. :lol: