PDA

View Full Version : Is Lena able to defend her US - Open - final?

Dementirilenko
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Hey guys,

The Us Open will start in a few weeks. Lena reached the final last year and earned lots of ranking - points. I am not quite sure if she can defend her final and all the points, but I really hope the best for her. She can do it, We all know this. So what do you think, will she reach the final again, and maybe win it this year? She would deserve it, right?

Dementinator
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:55 PM
who knows with Lena ,her form so far hasnt been superb ,but then it wasnt last year at this time really either ,Lenas shown this week that she can play pretty well ,and I think shes getting a little more confident ,but if she will defend all her points ? I am not sure ,I am hoping for a semi ,then go from there ,but we may have to accept that this season isnt gonna be lenas finest and wait till 2006 ,i DO feel Lena can win big ,but I think its gonna take a year or two.

Mathijs
Aug 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Well if she isn't able to defend her finalplace, that's fine with me, who knows what's going to happen, hope she can reach the final again, but like i said if she doesn't, that's okay..

miffedmax
Aug 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM
On her form so far, I predict Lena will make it to the Sweet 16, then suffer some sort of collapse that leaves her followers alternating between rage and despair.

At least that's been the GS story so far in '05. Maybe she just does better in even-numbered years (2000, 2004) than odd (2001, 2003). I don't remember 2002 very well.

michelle11
Aug 15th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I hope but don't think she can reach the final.
imo she is not playing aggressive enough at the moment.
because of this she lost against hantuchova.

btw : a couple of days ago I asked if she has a coach right now who is travelling with her.no one answered.doesn't anyone know about this????

selyoink
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:27 AM
She has the ability to defend the points obviously, but I don't think she will. She just hasn't shown that same fire and determination that we saw last year where you knew she was never going to submit.

JLDementieva
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:32 AM
From what's going on right now, I think it'll be tough for her to defend the final, I think quarterfinals will be my prediction. but who knows, Elena always plays well when we don't expect her to...

Derek.
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Elena had such a fighting spirit last year when she was able to defeat Mauresmo and Capriati while playing with an injury. I haven't seen that Lena that much this year. Hopefully Flushing Meadows will bring back good memories and Lena will have a good run again. :) I really want Lena to win this. Really bad.

Dementinator
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:47 AM
its been a disspointing year for both Lena and Myskina ,prob worse for Myskina and her fans ,but who knows ,lena unpredictable ,she HAS been more consistant in beating the players she should ALWAYS beat this year ,and I do feel her serve has improved a little ,but she needs to reclaim the fire she had at USO and hopefully she will ,strangely Lena often plays better when she has an injury!!

Dementirilenko
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Well, thanks for all your answers. I think we all have nearly the same opinion. Lena has to play more agressive and more confident. She had a few good results during the season, like the semis at Indian Wells, but at the Grand Slams she always lost in the fourth round. But during all this fourth - round matches, Lena was able to win (She lead against Schnyder, she was close against Lichovtseva and she had a matchpoint against Myskina). Hopefully she will not act in the same way during the fourt round of the US - Open.

mostefan
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:53 AM
a couple of days ago I asked if she has a coach right now who is travelling with her.no one answered.doesn't anyone know about this????Nobody answered as it's trivia, sorry. Lena's travelling coach is her mom still, famous Mommy Vera - or Vera Semyonovna in full. Besides, Lena is coached by Alexey Zhuk in fitness and Richard Krajicek for serving. Her brother Vsevolod helps her as sparring partner, sometimes he travels with her as well.

Dementinator
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM
well looking at Lena recently ,we must thank Alexey Zhuk for a job well done!!! :worship:

I dont think i have see a finer example of the female Homosapiens!!

Ronaldo777
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
well apart from katie skip.buts thats for another day haha

Dementinator
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM
cheeky!

Vamos Feńa
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I'm not so sure about her form @ US Open maybe she'll shock us positivly but who knows? :shrug:
And yeah she isn't playing very agressive this year :sad: Her only match this year which I actually liked for her agressive attitude was against Patty in Charleston. About having no coach: it's frightening me, she was hoestly without coch before Olga cuz Pashkov wasn't travelling all the time and her results were :o something changed in 2003 but don't know what was that...
Anyway I hope Lena will show her best form during upcoming events...

Paco
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:00 PM
It can be hard but it's not imposible

Kozak
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Oh I think she can do it!!!She is the best so... she will win!!! We love her and I think she know it and it will be very helpful for her... I don'n know maybe is stupid and naive but I think that...
!!!:kiss:THE WORLD (AND US OF COURS:)) IS YOURS LENA:kiss:!!!

azmad_88
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:35 AM
il be happy with a semi..but im sure she can get there if she play well

michelle11
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM
part of an article about nastya :

Elena Dementieva has played injured all summer.

Could face long-time friend Dementieva
Her childhood friend, Elena Dementieva, has also been through some recent struggles, but none of the gravity that Myskina went through. Still, the fleet blonde wasn't pleased with her performance during the first seven months of the year, which is why she parted ways with her coach, former top Russian player Olga Morozova, after Wimbledon.

The outspoken Morozova was the most high profile coach amongst those who tutor the Russians and it was a big move for Dementieva.

But after losing three tight three-setters in the year's first three Grand Slams, she wasn't convinced that their relationship was progressing.

"I needed a change," said Dementieva. "There were mental and technical things that she could no longer help me with. We had a very good time together and she really helped with certain parts of my game, but it was finished."

Dementieva is back to being coached by her mother, Vera, but the change hasn't helped much. She's played okay this summer, but has done nothing outstanding, reaching only one semifinal on hardcourts in Los Angeles.

"I think I have been playing better, but it's all about my confidence, said Dementieva, who took down Mauresmo and Jennifer Capriati en route to the US Open final last year. "I've been having a lot of slow starts and if I can concentrate well in the important moments, I'll do fine."

Even though she's tall and somewhat willowy, Dementieva is about as macho as a player as the WTA Tour gets. Unlike eight other players in the Top 10, she played hurt all summer long, not pulling out of any tournaments.

"I don't think it's a big deal and I don't want to make a big deal about it," she said. "You see players in other sports play injured all the time. It's up to the player as to whether they want to play. For me, I want to be competing, no matter how good or bad I feel. You have to know to how to win when you are not feeling well."

As most of the world knows, Dementieva has one of the world's quickest ground attacks and plays standout defense. But her loss to Svetlana Kuznetsova in last year's US final stung because, unlike her first Grand Slam loss to Myskina at the French Open, she was the elder stateswoman in the match and couldn't find a way to school the teenager.

The sixth-seeded Dementieva played tough in taking apart Mariana Diaz Oliva in the second round on Wednesday, but she'll have a much tougher task against Anna Chakvetadze, another Russian teen who doesn't fear her elders. But, it's not like there's anyone in her quarter who she can't take down … should she keep a positive attitude a la Myskina.

Who knows, next Friday, the two just might face off in the semifinals.

While Dementieva is almost no one's pick to win this tournament, she believes that she can get back to the final and, if she does, maybe this time she won't be miserably swerving her serves in and choking in key moments.

"I think [I can reach the final again], but the field is so strong now with the Belgians playing here and the Williamses are stronger," she said. "But I will try hard."

P.L.B.
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM
And part of an interview with Davenport:

One of your possible opponents is Dementieva. Can you at all relate to the kind of serving problems that she's had and how difficult that must be to double‑fault so publicly?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, hopefully not. At this point, I've not related exactly by her. I mean, sure, we go through times when there's a certain shot you don't want to hit. But, I mean, the girl is such a great athlete and so good off the ground. Like I've seen her practice. I've seen her serve great in practice. I remember watching her practice once for that particular reason. Then coming off going, "Okay, it has to be mental." The girl had a great motion and was hitting it well. She goes in streaks with it. I've seen her serve okay for a match. Then I heard the other day, it wasn't so good again. You know, she managed to get to two Grand Slam finals last year with it. Just think what she could do with it if she improved and she kind of got over that hump. She's a fantastic player.

Paco
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM
And part of an interview with Davenport:

One of your possible opponents is Dementieva. Can you at all relate to the kind of serving problems that she's had and how difficult that must be to double‑fault so publicly?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, hopefully not. At this point, I've not related exactly by her. I mean, sure, we go through times when there's a certain shot you don't want to hit. But, I mean, the girl is such a great athlete and so good off the ground. Like I've seen her practice. I've seen her serve great in practice. I remember watching her practice once for that particular reason. Then coming off going, "Okay, it has to be mental." The girl had a great motion and was hitting it well. She goes in streaks with it. I've seen her serve okay for a match. Then I heard the other day, it wasn't so good again. You know, she managed to get to two Grand Slam finals last year with it. Just think what she could do with it if she improved and she kind of got over that hump. She's a fantastic player.

:worship: :worship:

Dementinator
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM
well i think Lenas done a good job so far ,a lot of points have been saved....

Chunchun
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Well lena got bout 840 last year and already gets 310 this year :p

That's one third defended! :bounce::p Keep going Lena!

Dementinator
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:04 PM
good stuff ,considering how many said she was gonna go bye bye in round one

SloKid
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM
She went through the tournament unnoticed so far and that is good. I mean everybody is talking bout Sharapova, Clijsters etc. They are all forget Lena, after all she was a finalist last year.
And I think now it is time to start taking some names, starting with Lindsay and finishing it off saturday.

Paco
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:31 PM
1/3 defend - not so bad. Hopefully it can be better

Mathijs
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I really have no doubts, with what ive seen from Lena so far, she can do it again, Gooo Lena!! :bounce:

Prizeidiot
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:40 AM
A third?! Shes's made the quarters, and she's only defended a third?! I thought she was much better off than that...

Well, if she knocks off Lindsay tonight, I think she'll defend her points from last year. So here's hoping for a win. More so now that I know she has that many points still to defend.

Dementinator
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM
shes defended more than a third ithink ,shes got around 310 so far .

Mathijs
Sep 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM
and she'll be still in the top 10, dunno what i got but sth tells me really obvious there will be going to happen great things tonite :D

Ferosh
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I think she answered that question tonight. Come on Elena bring it home!

morningglory
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:21 AM
1st time I've posted in this forum, but Elena D has long been one of my faves. So, hi. :wavey:
Just wanna say that Elena was brilliantly fearless tonight, I'm sure she'll beat Pierce. Man, she has nerves of steel... so congrats to Elena and fellow Elena fans as well.
Break out the beer! :drink:

kammgretel
Sep 8th, 2005, 03:18 AM
In the Russian forum, they call her " Tie-Breaks Queen", not so bad , tonight she shown who she is... Great job , Lena!!! :kiss:

michelle11
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:19 AM
In the Russian forum, they call her " Tie-Breaks Queen", not so bad , tonight she shown who she is... Great job , Lena!!! :kiss:

in third set tiebreaks since 2002 6-0 !!!!!!!!

Mathijs
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM
and she'll be still in the top 10, dunno what i got but sth tells me really obvious there will be going to happen great things tonite :D

i was right, and i am almost sure Lena can do it again :)

SloKid
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Mary is certainly beatable, although she has been playing really well recently, but Lena is full of surprises and this could be her Slam.

strato
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Who knows with our girl ?
She may as well lose in straight sets vs Pierce as crush her last two opponents. Anyway, I will be proud of her, and I enjoy so much her matches (I'm even happy when she is playing crap !!).
Allez Elena !

Dementinator
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
well as far as points go ,shes almost salvaged em all! beating the world number one gave her a boatload of points! 200 bonus!

Paco
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
well as far as points go ,shes almost salvaged em all! beating the world number one gave her a boatload of points! 200 bonus!
Yeah. Well done

miffedmax
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Still a long way to go. No matter what, our girl has given us something to celebrate.

Paco
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Still a long way to go. No matter what, our girl has given us something to celebrate.
Yes you're right.
But I'm happy with that what she did. Honestly I didn't think that Davenport is beatable. So even if Lena loses with Pierce it will not be a tragedy.

JC Federer
Sep 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
The way Davenport was beaten though, was by playing poorly as she admitted, with over 50 errors.

That gives us some hope... because there's always a chance even Kim or Maria can play poorly too. This I would say was a bit of luck. If Davenport played better, the 1st set wouldn't have been 6-1.

An interesting thing to note, if Pierce makes the final, and loses (which I expect she would), then she will have repeated Lena's feat from last year... making the FO and USO finals. And Lindsay will have been the beaten finalist at the two other slams.