PDA

View Full Version : New Haven

ZAK
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Tati is entering late into this event to get some more US Open practice

Golovin, 17, latest to commit to Pilot Pen
Jim Fuller, Register Staff
08/10/2005

http://www.nhregister.com/images/email_this_article.gif (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:%20openEmailWindow%28%29;)Email to a friend (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:%20openEmailWindow%28%29;) http://www.nhregister.com/images/printversion.gif (http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=7592&newsid=15007958)Printer-friendly (http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=7592&newsid=15007958)http://www.nhregister.com/images/spacer.gif

Tatiana Golovin is the latest addition to the Pilot Pen Tennis tournament’s women’s playing field.

Golovin, 17, reached the third round of the French Open and upset Venus Williams and Nadia Petrova to advance to the semifinals of the Tier I event in Charleston, S.C. Golovin, currently ranked No. 25, was named the 2004 WTA Newcomer of the Year.

Advertisement

http://http://bannerads.zw...=2102 (http://%5bimg%5dhttp//bannerads.**********/bannerads/bannerad.asp?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=1281&LOCALPCT=100&AREA=468&VERT=349&NAREA=409&barnd=2102%5B/img%5D) Golovin becomes the 11th top 25 player to commit to the Pilot Pen, but because she missed the entry for direct acceptance into the Pilot Pen, Golovin is not guaranteed a spot in the main draw.

Golovin becomes the No. 2 player on the Pilot Pen’s "next in" list behind top-ranked Lindsay Davenport. If two main draw players withdraw before the start of the Pilot Pen, Golovin would move into the main draw. If not, she would be eligible to receive a wild card into the main draw.

Pilot Pen officials also announced the commitment of No. 26 Ai Sugiyama, which was reported by the Register on Sunday. Sugiyama, who reached the finals at last week’s Tier I San Diego event, becomes the No. 3 player on the "next-in" list.

The Pilot Pen begins with qualifying on Aug. 19. The women’s final is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Aug. 27.

The men’s championship match is set for noon on Aug. 28.

Elena Likhovtseva, who has committed to the Pilot Pen, was named World Team Tennis’ Female Most Valuable Player on Tuesday.

"I didn’t really expect to be an MVP. This is my first (postseason award) in six years," Likhovtseva said.

"It was a lot of fun playing with my team, having their support and the support from my fans at home in Sacramento. It was a good WTT year and I’m looking forward to the playoffs."

Likhovtseva and Male MVP Mark Knowles led the Sacramento Capitals to an 11-3 record and a berth in next month’s WTT playoffs.

wurzelman
Aug 11th, 2005, 01:19 AM
GOOD LUCK TATI. Hopefully a few good wins in these upcoming events can really boost her confidence ahead of US Open.

selyoink
Aug 11th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Good luck if you get to play Tati

yukon145
Aug 11th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Tati should get in because i remember reading an article earlier this summer saying that the tournment director Anne something was hoping that Tati would enter. Good luck here Tati!

Harju.
Aug 11th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Allez Tati. It was a smart choice to enter New Haven. Just hoping that she's not overburnt before US Open.

selyoink
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Allez Tati. It was a smart choice to enter New Haven. Just hoping that she's not overburnt before US Open.

I don't think she will be. Of course it depends on her results in Rogers Cup and New Haven.

yukon145
Aug 11th, 2005, 03:25 PM
now im begining to worry if Tati will get to play. now Vera and Molik have entered here and both push Tati down on the next in list. hopfully she will get a WC, i would think she could get one over Vera but probally not Molik.

ZAK
Aug 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Tati being Gold Exempt should help her out

selyoink
Aug 11th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Well a lot depends on number of wildcards and upcoming withdrawals.

ZAK
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Currently there are 3 WCs, but 6 players in need of them:

1. Davenport
2. Kuznetsova
3. Molik
4. Zvonareva
5. Golovin
6. Sugiyama

So she needs two players to withdraw to be sure, but one may do it if they pick her over Vera

yukon145
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:24 AM
i really think that Tati would get a WC over Vera, hopfully she gets into the main draw.

Harju.
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I'm hoping Tati would get one. Davenport and Kuznetsova are definately getting one. It's between Tati and Molik, I think.

The field is getting very strong.

rseto
Aug 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
looks like zvonareva is not playing for sure and maleeva hasn't played in a while and she's still in the entry list. tati should make it but i'm still a little concerned about other currently injured, top ranked players who might want to play a tournament before the us open and will try to enter new haven.

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15029336&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7592&rfi=6

ZAK
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:09 AM
New Haven Entrylist

1. Davenport
2. Mauresmo
3. Kuznetsova
4. Dementieva
5. Petrova
6. Schnyder
7. Molik(WC)
8. Myskina(WC)
---------------------
9. Dechy
10. Jankovic
11. Likhovtseva
12. Farina Elia
13. Hantuchova
14. Groenefeld
15. Chakvetadze
16. Douchevina
17. Medina Garrigues
18. Dulko
19. Bartoli
20. Razzano
21. Linetskaya
22. Llagostera Vives
23. Maleeva
24. Raymond(WC)

Next In/Wildcards:
1. Golovin
2. Sugiyama

Aug. 17- Schiavone pulls out; Davenport is in directly
Aug. 18- Myskina enters late
Aug. 19- Myskina, Molik, and Raymond are awarded WCs; Bovina pulls out; Kuznetsova is in directly

yukon145
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM
so what Tati didn't get a WC? does she have to play qualies then?

martirogi
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM
i had no idea this was even possible. i assumed top players that entered late were just put in. im so confused. :confused:

ZAK
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Right now Davenport, Kuznetsova, and Molik will get the WCs. If one person withdraws, Davenport will get into the maindraw directly; then the WCs will go to Kuznetsova, Molik, and Golovin

yukon145
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM
so Tati is now in i guess. hopfully she does well here and gets some matches in before the open. maybe qualies would have been good for her, but on the other hand i would have been really depressed if Tati would have lost in qualies.

ZAK
Aug 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM
so Tati is now in i guess. hopfully she does well here and gets some matches in before the open. maybe qualies would have been good for her, but on the other hand i would have been really depressed if Tati would have lost in qualies.

Plus, Tati's still playing doubles in Toronto so the turn around would have been pretty quick

rseto
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM

i had the exact same thought about the qualies! we'll know for sure tomorrow whether anyone else is trying to enter the tournament.

she'll probably get a tough 1st round opponent though. :(

Derek.
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Good luck Tati. :)

martirogi
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:59 PM
hopefully she gets a top player and loses something like 61, 60. then she'll be totally embarassed and get a damn coach.

yukon145
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:47 AM
hopefully she gets a top player and loses something like 61, 60. then she'll be totally embarassed and get a damn coach.

:lol: hey, if thats what it takes for her to realize that she needs a coach, im all for it.

selyoink
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM

Harsh. But she does need a coach and badly.

martirogi
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:09 AM
so since myskina entered i guess she's back down to 4th on the wildcard list. but there will probably be another 3-6 withdrawls :rolleyes: and she'll be directly into the tourney.

yukon145
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM
how late can players enter here, when is the draw made? i don't remember a tournment when so many players have entered so late. hopfully Tati will get into the maindraw some how.

wurzelman
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
yeah, get a coach Tati

ZAK
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:58 PM
If Tati has to play qualifying, it starts tomorrow

selyoink
Aug 18th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Maybe it would be good for Tati to play qualifing. She would get a couple matches under her belt and possibly gain confidence. Then again she could fail to qualify and lose even more confidence.

tennisrulz8
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Well, lets hope Tati wins some matches even if they are in qualifying.

rseto
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:40 PM
i don't think playing qualies is a good idea anymore. i'm afraid her confidence would be shot if she lost in qualifying. and unfortunately, i think that's possible.

I<3Tati
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Hopefully someone else will pull out so Tati gets in. But imo Tati woulda been smarter to play Forest Hills, at least then she prolly woulda had a better chance of winnin some matches and gettin a little confidence.

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2005, 02:16 AM
So far Tati isn't in the main draw entry list and the WC's have been given out and Tati didn't get one. So either she decided not to play or she's in qualies.

yukon145
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:33 AM
well if Tati is still playing it doesn't make sense that they would give Lisa Raymond a WC over Tati when the tourny director mentioned before that she hoped that Golovin would enter. but if Tati is playing qualies maybe it will be good for her, i guess we'll find out because the qualie draw comes out tomorrow i think.

if Tati isn't playing maybe a solid week and half of training and practice will be good for her before the US Open. what ever happens i hope Tati starts playing well and have a nice showing at the Open.

tennisrulz8
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Does anyone know what's happening here. Is Tati playing or not?

yukon145
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:52 AM
she's not on the main draw list. this was posted in the New Haven section:

Final Entry List: 8/18/05, 8:00 pm EST

Marion Bartoli
Anna Chakvetadze
Lindsay Davenport
Nathalie Dechy
Elena Dementieva
Vera Douchevina
Gisela Dulko
Silvia Farina Elia
Anna-Lena Groenefeld
Daniela Hantuchova
Jelena Jankovic
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Elena Likhovtseva
Evgenia Linetskaya
Nuria Llagostera Vives
Magdalena Maleeva
Amelie Mauresmo
Anabel Medina Garrigues
Alicia Molik (WC)
Anastasia Myskina (WC)
Nadia Petrova
Lisa Raymond (WC)
Virginie Razzano
Patty Schnyder

selyoink
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:56 AM
They gave Lisa Raymond a wildcard. :rolleyes:

I know she is American but still. Anyway there is a decent chance Myskina withdraws since she injured her ankle.

rseto
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM
just read that tati won't go into qualifying but she might enter the main draw if anyone else withdraws before qualifying starts. who knows what might happen? :shrug: :rolleyes:

ZAK
Aug 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM
1) I can't believe they gave a WC to Raymond over Tati

2) I will be pissed off if Tati doesn't get it, and then half the field withdraws after the qualifying has started and a million LLs get in :mad:

Harju.
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Aww, I hope Tati gets to play. She really needs to play more matches badly before USO. I agree with some of you here. Coach is needed badly.

BTW Zak. I HEART Garbage.

selyoink
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Myskina will be pulling out due to her ankle injury. There are also quite a few other players who might pull out.

ZAK
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Myskina will be pulling out due to her ankle injury. There are also quite a few other players who might pull out.

It may be too late, though

Harju.
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Yep. They need to pull out before the MD is released which is soon i think. :o

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see. :shrug:

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM
maybe Tati didn't need the WC afterall? :scratch:

yukon145
Aug 20th, 2005, 02:13 AM
i found this in general messages. its by the poster Andrew... and he seems to have the inside information about New Haven:

It was being made when I was there. 10 hours ago.

Good organization skills over there.

I know that Tati is into the main draw, and that someone has pulled out, but not sure who. I know it wasn't Davenport, because I saw them put her name on the top of the draw.

so hopfully Tati will be in the main draw, we will know for sure when its made tomorrow.

Derek.
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Great news! :D

I<3Tati
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:54 AM
:bounce: :dance: :woohoo: :banana: :yippee: :yeah: :clap2: :D

selyoink
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Well I have seen the draw and it is not good. Tati starts off with a qualifier and then gets Davenport. Eek!

The way Tati has been playing she could get double bagelled by Davenport. If she somehow wins that match Schnyder would be up if seeding holds.

I<3Tati
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Such a great draw for Tati, aint it?:ras::rolleyes: Oh well, I believe in Tati.:D As my old site would say, Allez Tatiana!:cool:

yukon145
Aug 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM
here:

Davenport(1) v. bye
Golovin v. q
Llagostera Vives v. Hantuchova
Raymond v. Schnyder(6)

Kuznetsova(3) v. bye
Maleeva v. q
Dechy v. Farina Elia
Chakvetadze v. Myskina(8)

Molik(7) v. Dulko
Medina Garrigues v. Razzano
Douchevina v. q
bye v. Dementieva(4)

Petrova(5) v. Jankovic
q v. Groenefeld
Bartoli v. Likhovtseva
bye v. Mauresmo(2)

well at least shes playing here. but with Tati's luck she will draw Peng as her first round. please win your first match Tati.

rseto
Aug 20th, 2005, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=yukon145]
well at least shes playing here. but with Tati's luck she will draw Peng as her first round. [QUOTE]

:lol:

get better, evgenia.

tati was bound to get a hard opponent sooner or later with such a small draw and the number of quality players. at least she didn't get a seeded player in the 1st round. if she plays davenport, i don't expect her to win but davenport might be rusty. there might also be some lucky losers which might lessen the odds of her playing peng.

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Lindsay hasn't played in weeks, if Tati has a comfortable win in the 1rd and plays like she did against Gise in the first set, she will a chance to win the match for sure.

ZAK
Aug 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM
The best thing I see is that the match v. Davenport may be shown on US TV

ZAK
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM
From an article about the WC situation:

The depth of the women’s tournament created problems for Worcester, who faced some difficult choices when it came to awarding three wild cards this week. Because Tatiana Golovin committed to the tournament late and did not receive a wild card, she appeared to be one of the players who missed the cut. But when Evgenia Linetskaya withdrew Friday because of a stomach illness, Golovin received Linetskaya’s spot in the draw.

"Oh, God, I’m so relieved," Worcester said. "I felt so badly about that wild-card situation, because somebody was going to get left out. I felt almost sick to my stomach trying to make that decision."

Golovin, a bubbly teenager from France ranked No. 25, became a fan favorite at the Pilot Pen last year — as much for her hip-hugging shorts as for her play on the court, where she lost to Jennifer Capriati in the second round. For Golovin, gaining entry into this year’s draw might have been the easy part. Should she get past a qualifier in the first round, she would face top-seeded Lindsay Davenport in the second round.

Tati & Dani
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:08 PM
difficult draw that second round , maybe davenport it's not 100 % yet but after that match... i have a problem :sobbing:

Harju.
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Well, what a draw for Tati, but I think this is what she needs atm. A tough opponent so she would be ready by USO. She can't even capitalise a WIDE open draw this week. Good luck in the first round though.

tennisrulz8
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Good luck in the first round!!!

HTE
Aug 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Go Tati :)

wurzelman
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:07 AM
Good luck Tati. I think she may be able to overturn LD if she was playing well :tape:
Anyway here's hoping for a first round victory to get the ball rolling.

Derek.
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:19 AM
Good luck Tati! :clap2: :D :) You can do it! :yeah:

C'mon Tati! :woohoo:

ZAK
Aug 21st, 2005, 01:07 AM
Good luck this week Tati :bounce:

I'll be on vacation so I won't be able to follow this week, but I have my VCR set for Wed. just in case she plays Davenport ;)

I<3Tati
Aug 21st, 2005, 02:40 AM
TA-TI
TA-TI
TA-TI
:bounce: :banana: :yippee:
U can do it Tati!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

selyoink
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:56 AM
I just hope Tati can get by the qualifier and not get totally embarassed by Davenport.

Derek.
Aug 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM
I have a good feeling about this tournament for Tati. Just do it! :yeah:

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
I also saw a lot of players practicing. Meghan practiced 3 times on Saturday (one of them was a match with Golovin), Golovin 2 times (matches with Meg and Elena D.), Masha K (still has a bandage on her knee). By the way, someone posted that Olchovsky is her coach. I don't think it’s true as she was with another guy (he doesn't look like Andrey). I saw Masha practicing couple of times and the guy was doing nothing but collecting the balls.

Elena D. was awful playing against Tat Golovin. They played in the stadium, so I had a very good view of the match. I watched only 5 games, Tatiana won 4 of them. Elena was playing like sh*t. She could not hit a forehand, a backhand or a serve (surprise!). Tatiana pretty much didn't have to do much in 3 of the 4 games she won, but just to show up. It might have been annoying for her as she wanted to practice rallies, not watching Elena struggling to make a single shot.

tennisrulz8
Aug 21st, 2005, 08:44 PM
In the first round Tati is up against Peschke who is ranked 38.

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM
No doubles for Tati this week, Dechy is playing with MooMoo.

wurzelman
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
Not a bad match against Peschke, fairly tough but not Davenportesque.

Derek.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Peschke can be tough, but if Tati plays good tennis she can win. :) Good luck Tati! :D

Allez! :woohoo:

yukon145
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
anyone know much about Peschke? i don't know anything about her game.

Derek.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:55 AM
anyone know much about Peschke? i don't know anything about her game.

I think she's consistant.

martirogi
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
peschke hits hard and consistnet. i was really surprised at how good she was when i downloaded her match vs myskina from aussie open.

given tati's horrible level of play lately its probably 50-50.

yukon145
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:30 AM
thanks for the report. now im nervous and worried about Tati's match tomorrow.

rseto
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:56 AM
it's a tough match for tati although i think peschke played better earlier in the year than now. i might favor tati a little but not much.

anyways, try your best tati! good luck tomorrow!

selyoink
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
Tati is out. She lost 6-3, 6-4. :sad:

It just keeps getting worse.

Derek.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:50 PM
Tati is out. She lost 6-2, 6-4. :sad:

It just keeps getting worse.

It was 3-6 4-6. :bigcry:

Tati has really lost her form since Birmingham. :(

martirogi
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
oh my god. this girl is really insane. the sad thing is that she hasn't really hit the worst possible place yet and usually you have to go through one of those before you can turn things around.

Derek.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
Sophmore slump perhaps. :hysteric:
But I don't get it. She was doing fine until Wimbledon. :(
She is 1-4 since making the semis @ Birmingham.
I hope she can turn it around at the US Open.

tennisrulz8
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
is it her ankle or is she just playing badly

Tatianandmary
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:10 PM
She just playing very badly !!!
She needs a coach, and more confidence.

Derek.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:18 PM
I really hope she can get a coach soon because she is degressing. :sad:

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM
no words, really... :sobbing::sobbing::sobbing::sobbing: and the worst things is that she's still under age restrictions to play tournaments and she's wasted 2/3 of the tournaments she's played.

wurzelman
Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
her poor play has been brought on by her injury no doubt. She probably hasn't been able to train as much or as hard, so she is easily beatable. This lowers her confidence and so her play suffers further. If she took a long time out to get over her injury, possibly with surgery as well, and just did weights and swimming and things like that, she will come back all healed up, and back to the Tati we all know and love.

rseto
Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:34 AM
the bad: in her current state, she just can't beat anybody ranked about 40-50. agree with what tatiannaholic said; she's not getting enough matches in with all these 1 and out.

sort of good: she didn't roll over in any of the sets like what happened in toronto.

right now, i just hope she can win 2 matches at the us open and try to get some better results in the fall especially in some of these smaller tournaments where the fields aren't loaded.

yukon145
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:13 AM
when will she realize she needs a coach and time to heal? oh Tati, i still love you though.

Tati & Dani
Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:34 PM
another defeat :o

The last months are really bad :(

i hope she can play better during the indoor season

Harju.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:50 PM
It's really disappointing, but I was expecting this, seeing from the reports and all. I think her confidence played a big role. Tati was spraying the balls all over which she hardly did during the first half of the season. She is known for the consistency which has gone hay wired these days :shrug:

PICK IT UP @ US OPEN TATI :fiery:

AK-DH Fan
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah good luck at the US Open :sad: