PDA

View Full Version : Mary withdraws from JP Morgan Chase Open

Renek
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
This is sad guys......Mary get well soon....We love you!!!!!!!!:kiss: :kiss:

Mary Pierce will not be winning titles in back-to-back weeks.
The sixth-seeded Frenchwoman withdrew from the $585,000 JP Morgan Chase Open on Wednesday after suffering a right thigh strain in practice.

"I was practicing yesterday and it was at the every end when I was hitting some serves that I felt it on the serve," said Pierce, ranked 14th in the world. "I continued to finish my practice and was feeling it on every serve I was hitting."

Pierce had been enjoying a successful summer season. The two-time Grand Slam champion won her 17th career title and first U.S. outdoor hardcourt crown Sunday in San Diego before being forced out with the injury.

"I'm really disappointed because I've been playing really well," said Pierce, who had won 16 of her last 18 matches, including a run to the French Open final and a quarterfinal showing at Wimbledon last month. "I was looking forward to continuing my performance of last week into this week as well."

After sustaining the injury, Pierce visited the trainers for treatment that helped ease the pain, but it was short-lived.

"It was feeling better in the evening and I thought I'll be OK," she said. "But it woke me up quite a few times in the night because anytime I would contract me leg muscle it would really hurt.

"This morning it was really sore, and when I was coming down the stairs it was really painful. I thought, 'OK, this is not good.'"

Pierce returned to the trainers to get it checked out Wednesday morning, hours before she was to face Tathiana Garbin of Italy in a second-round match after drawing a first-round bye. However, there was no improvement, especially on the service motion.

"It's really painful. I'm not able to serve, I can't push off on it," said Pierce, who will be replaced by Saori Obata of Japan. "I've never had a thigh injury, so it's something unknown to me. It's something that needs rest."

Pierce will head home to Sarasota, Fla., for several days of rest, where she will evaluate her physical being. She is planning to play the U.S Open, which begins August 29, but could miss next week's WTA Tour stop in Toronto.

"I know I have the U.S. Open in 2 1/2 weeks, and I can't make any comments about whether I'm going to play in Toronto," Pierce said. "I'm just going to go home have treatment. In 3-4 days I'm going to see how it feels. And we'll see."

Pierce is no stranger to injuries. During her 16 years on tour, she has been sidelined with a variety of ailments, including chronic inflammation of the lumbar spine, right rotator cuff tendintis, abdominal strains and ankle tendinitis.

"It's tough. I always want to play, that's toughest part," she confessed. "With proper treatment I should be OK in a few days. It's nothing that's going to end the season for me or anything like that."

Despite the setback, Pierce remained upbeat.

"Everything happens for a reason and I just take that in a positive way," she said. "I guess I'm supposed to rest and go home."

Russians Svetlana Kuznetsova, Elena Dementieva and Nadia Petrova -- the second through fourth seeds, respectively -- all play second-round matches Wednesday at the U.S. Open warmup event.

Declan
Aug 10th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Doesn't sound TOO serious, more something that just needs rest and the right treatment -and Mary's handling it in her usual calm, philosophical manner.

ali
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I love the way Mary handles these disappointments - what will be will be.

It might be a blessing though thinking about it, now she can have a bit of time off, no pressure, and might play in Toronto which I think is the way to go.

Imagine if she'd carried on this week where she left off last?! We'd have all been far too excitable about the US Open! ;) Time for us all to relax!

ashwu
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:59 PM
hope she just needs some rest! get well soon mary!!!!

Scotso
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I really hope she's okay to play in Toronto, otherwise she's missing a good opportunity to pick up some rankings points. :(

Get well soon, Mary!

ezekiel
Aug 11th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Why does it say she lost to Garbin in the scores?

Lu_Weird
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:25 AM
feel so bad!!

Andy.
Aug 11th, 2005, 03:34 AM
It doesnt seem to bad lets hope she has a speedy recover because she is a real danger for the US Open crown

cakiteror
Aug 11th, 2005, 04:46 AM
mary get well!!!!!
oh,this is so dissapointing,id rather she she left the tournament to rest,but an injury!!!
i REALLY hope she gets well for toronto because she needs one more tournament to get readdy for US OPEN!i just dont wont it to be serious,mary doesnt need a injury now when she is on fire,she is so enjoying the game!

MaryPierceFan
Aug 11th, 2005, 05:26 AM
It's so dissapointing,e specially now when she is playing so great! I hope she'll recover soon and will be playing in Toronto. Go girl! You can do it!

pierce_fanatic
Aug 11th, 2005, 05:45 AM
:sad: Get better soon Mary !

We'll hopefully see you back and firing in Toronto :p

Kathrin
Aug 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Hi,
I'm so shocked. How could this happen? I'm afraid of this injury destroys all of her hard work to come back.. I don't want it to end like this. She always keeps calm in such situations and says that everything happens for a reason but what reason could this be? I really hope it's nothing serious because I want her to be happy. And she only is happy when she is able to play tennis and kick some asses!

Kathrin

Mark Spruce
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Get well soon Mary rest.

Look forward to you comming back when you are 110 %

mark

DomenicDemaria
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I was in shock when i found out. I went to find out the scores and find Garbin was playing Obata. Don't think its too serious it is only a strain. Good desicion not to play, could tear it and be out for a long time. Hopefully it heals so Mary can play next week

Lu_Weird
Aug 11th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Well...I hope Mary will recover soon when Toronto...but I saw the players tournment will play at wtatour there are 8 players ahead of Mary in Toronto,so Mary will seed number 9...How I wish there someone quit one of those 8 players..lol

alibaby
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM
hey mary,although you are not in my direct "tennis-family"(listed below..)i have the greatest respect for you,on court and as a person as well!so from me,i wish you all the best,and i hope to see you soon again!! :kiss: :hearts:

middy
Aug 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Mary :crying2: I hope its not serious, plz be well and get ready to kick some serious ass in the US Open

cakiteror
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
guys if anyone has some news,pleeeeeeeeeeeaseee post them!
thanks

rsunderji
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I just hope that she gets better for Toronto. I scored these VIP tickets to have access to some lounge where I thinkthe players may be hanging out and now if she isn't there what a disapointment. Having said that I just want her to be 100% for the US OPen because I think she has a real chance there. Feel better Mary. Yeah and what a great attitude she has towards this minor mishap.

Rahim

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 11th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I don't want Mary to play Toronto, i only want Mary to play without any risks of injuries !
If she's ok for Toronto and ready to play at her best, i'll be overjoy ! If not, i will be on fire to support her during Flushing Meadows, ZE tournament she has to win !

So, hmm, i saw the entry list of Toronto too ! It's not fairplay but i really hope that a top player will retire because Mary needs a bye with this injury !
She will be ninth, and she needs to be at least the eight one !
So ... Kuznetsova, you need to train more than playing, so stay at home !
Serena, Venus, I love you, but you'd better to wait and to have rest for Us Open ... Kim, stop to play every week, you'll be tired for the last slam of the season, be prudent !
(I hope one of them will read and obey >>) :angel:

saby
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I don't want Mary to play Toronto, i only want Mary to play without any risks of injuries !
If she's ok for Toronto and ready to play at her best, i'll be overjoy ! If not, i will be on fire to support her during Flushing Meadows, ZE tournament she has to win !

So, hmm, i saw the entry list of Toronto too ! It's not fairplay but i really hope that a top player will retire because Mary needs a bye with this injury !
She will be ninth, and she needs to be at least the eight one !
So ... Kuznetsova, you need to train more than playing, so stay at home !
Serena, Venus, I love you, but you'd better to wait and to have rest for Us Open ... Kim, stop to play every week, you'll be tired for the last slam of the season, be prudent !
(I hope one of them will read and obey >>) :angel:

I totaly agree with you, if she need to rest well she has to do it.
I bet Serena will not go to Toronto, I read Venus article from Wbn and she was not to sure about the end of Serena's season...:bounce:

Mark Spruce
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Hello Saby,

I totally agree with you, and also Wizzy.

I think that Mary should only play when she is 100%.

Mary will only play for sure when she knows she is 100%

Mark

I totaly agree with you, if she need to rest well she has to do it.
I bet Serena will not go to Toronto, I read Venus article from Wbn and she was not to sure about the end of Serena's season...:bounce:

sebbe
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Sad to see that Mary has withdrawn from LA but I guess she is right, things happens from a reason an that is this week that Mary should rest.

I really hope she will be able to play next week in Toronto, and add some points to the race. But be careful Mary, you just have to play US Open...would love to see you in the quaters of even later rounds.

Good Luck Mary with the treatment and hope you will heal soon.

I'm in stockholm this week to fallow Nordic Light Open, some great tennis and I must say that Katarina Srebotnik is one of my new favourites. She is just a great player and the kindest person I've ever met.

See you soon Mary-fans;)

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 13th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Venus is out of Toronto ... Mary would be at least n°8 and have a bye !

Sharapova will probably retire too, Serena's not sure too ... :tape:

pierce_fanatic
Aug 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Hopefully Mary can make it back for Toronto and seeing all these big names withdrawing, Mary has a pretty good chance of taking the Trophy !

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: