PDA

View Full Version : Any Wildcard news yet?

Drake1980
Aug 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I really hope Maureen gets one!! This will probably be her last Canadian Open. Would also love it if Melanie Gloria got one but that doesn't seem to likely.

416_Man
Aug 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
WCs
For Sures:
Marie-Eve Pelletier (Highest ranked Canadian)

Likelies:
Stephanie Dubois (strong play this year, especially recently)
Maureen Drake (few Canadians actually from Toronto)

Unlikelies:
Melanie Gloria (flew off the radar following Quebec City)
Aleksandra Wozniak (despite deserving it for some good results, still too young)
Sharon Fichman (WAY too young)

Wiggly
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Wozniak said she got one... ;)

Boss monkey
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Wozniak said she got one... ;)
That is what i thought, how could she not get one.

Wiggly
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:46 AM
That is what i thought, how could she not get one.

And I just read then DUBOIS got one :)

maxomax
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:38 AM
And I just read then DUBOIS got one :)
RDS website said that Dubois got a wild card for the main draw :D That's strange because RDS are always late for the news :tape:

416_Man
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:49 AM
I thought calling Grandstand court last year: Daniel Nestor Canadian Champion Grandstand Court was bad. This year it is: Aleksandra Wozniak Canadian Champion Grandstand Court. Imagine the pressure *death*

Boss monkey
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Canadian Wild Cards To Take On The World’s Best At Rogers Cup Presented By American Express

Tennis Canada announced today that Canadians MARIE EVE PELLETIER, STEPHANIE DUBOIS and ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK have been added as Wild Cards to the Main Draw of the 2005 Rogers Cup. Main draw action begins Monday, August 15 at the Rexall Centre in Toronto.

PELLETIER, from Repentigny, Quebec, is the leader of Canada’s Fed Cup team and the top ranked Canadian on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour (World No. 116). The 22-year-old has played in several Grand Slams, was recently named Canada’s Female Singles Player of the Year after climbing as high as World No. 107, and has been a fixture at Canada’s signature tournament (appearing consecutively since 1998).

Not far behind Pelletier in the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings is Laval, Quebec’s, STEPHANIE DUBOIS (World No. 149). The 18-year-old is a seven-time national junior champion. Over the past year Dubois has also played on Canada’s Fed Cup team, won the 2004 $25,000 Challenger event in Hamilton and reached the finals of another $25,000 Challenger in Illinois.

ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK, a 16-year-old from Blainville, Quebec, was one of the world’s top junior players (World No. 5) and is now making her mark as a pro. In July, 2005, Wozniak captured her first pro title at the $25,000 Challenger in Hamilton, Ontario, improving her WTA ranking to World No. 253. Wozniak, another member of the Fed Cup team, was also named Canada’s 2004 Female Player of the Year and Most Improved Female Player. Earlier this season Wozniak reached the semi-finals at the Junior Australian Open and the quarter-finals at Junior Wimbledon.

“Marie Eve, Stephanie and Aleksandra are rising stars and have all earned the right to represent Canada at our flagship tournament – The Rogers Cup,” said Stacey Allaster, Vice President and Tournament Director, Tennis Canada. “Adding some Canadian content to our already star-studded field truly makes our tournament this summer’s must-see event.”

Tennis Canada also announced today that six more Canadians will attempt to enter the tournament’s main draw by competing in the qualifying rounds beginning August 13. Fed Cup teammate SHARON FICHMAN (14-years-old, Toronto, Ontario), and Fed Cup squad members EKATERINA SHULAEVA (17, Oakville, Ontario), VALERIE TETREAULT (16, St. Jean Sur Richelieu, Quebec) and MELANIE GLORIA (17, Montreal, Quebec) received Wild Cards into the qualifying draw.

KAVITHA KRISHNAMURTHY (23, Oakville, Ontario) and HEIDI EL TABAKH (18, London, Ontario) also earned Wild Cards into the qualifying draw through pre-tournament competition.

On July 7, 2005, Tennis Canada announced the official star-studded acceptance list for the 2005 Rogers Cup presented by American Express singles main draw.

Heading the competition for the $1.3 million USD purse are MARIA SHARAPOVA, defending champion AMELIE MAURESMO, SERENA WILLIAMS and 2005 Wimbledon champion VENUS WILLIAMS.

Rounding out the tournament’s top players are three principals of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s “Russian Revolution” – SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA, NADIA PETROVA and ANASTASIA MYSKINA.

Fan favourites JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE (2003 champion), KIM CLIJSTERS and French Open finalist MARY PIERCE will also battle for the first time on the hard courts of the Rexall Centre at this key US Open Series event. Important US Open Series points are on the line (the tournament Champion in Toronto will increase their chances of winning the US Open Series and doubling their prize money at the U.S. Open).

About the Rogers Cup, presented by American Express
The women’s Rogers Cup, presented by American Express is one of the premier Tier 1 tournaments on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. In 2001, the Rogers Cup was launched with record success and the tournament has drawn record crowds and premier players in both Toronto and Montreal every year. Last year’s event, held in Montreal, set a new single-week world attendance record for a women’s professional event with 166,442 spectators. Tennis Canada expects a new record to be set in Toronto this August when the women debut at the Rexall Centre at York University.
The stars of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour will debut at the world class Rexall Centre in Toronto August 13–21st. To purchase tickets please call 1-877-2-TENNIS ext. 4333 or visit on-line at www.rogerscup.com

Drake1980
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Um, where's Maureen Drake?

maxomax
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:13 AM
There is not 4 wild cards for main draw?

maxomax
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:16 AM
I checked last year draw and there is 4 main draw wild cards... maybe they are going to give it to a top player... or Drake ?

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 11th, 2005, 03:11 AM
The 4rth Wc is in the hands of the WTA. If they find nobody, it will jsut go to the first player in the qualies list i think

Drake1980
Aug 11th, 2005, 05:08 AM
So is Maureen protesting by not playing the Qualies or did they just not give her one? I'm really horrified with this. Give her some props.

CooCooCachoo
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM
So is Maureen protesting by not playing the Qualies or did they just not give her one? I'm really horrified with this. Give her some props.

Based on her results, she does not deserve one :shrug:

Sorry :(

ktoles2005
Aug 11th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Based on her singles results, no Maureen doesn't deserve a wildcard. She has put together a nice year in doubles so I think we will def. see a wildcard there if she doesn't make it in on her ranking alone. I don't think winning one match in a main draw in like two years consitutes recieving a wildcard... :o

Ballbasher
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Perhaps Maureen needn´t receive a WC for QD

Drake1980
Aug 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I just think it's disgusting that she didn't get in. Yes I understand theat the younger players need the oppurtunity as well but Maureen is from Toronto and this would probably be her last Canadian Open. Show some respect, she's been Canada's top player the last 5 or 6 years until this year.

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I don't think Maureen deserved one in main draw. And with her ranking, she might be in directly in the qualy draw, though i doubt it considering Melanie Gloria needs a WC and is now in the top 300.

What if Maureen jsut didn't want to play singles at all?

maxomax
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I don't think Maureen deserved one in main draw. And with her ranking, she might be in directly in the qualy draw, though i doubt it considering Melanie Gloria needs a WC and is now in the top 300.

What if Maureen jsut didn't want to play singles at all?

Don't forget that Melanie final is still not update in her ranking!
But you were right, she is in quali draw!